Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

My Hunter still appears to be getting 3 points of Morale and 0 points of Tactical Mitigation per point in Vitality. Can anyone confirm that the numbers have actually changed for them?

Server is down now for the update, so that probably explains why nothing's changed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

yesterday's lag almost cost my warden his undying title

this is important post

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

quote:

We have been investigating reports of game launcher issues that have been reported since today's release of Update 20.1.2. So far we have identified two separate causes for these issues, and we continue to work on solutions.

For Windows 7 and higher players who utilize the third party SweetFX utility program (or similar utility programs if they are having issues), they should uninstall the program. This is not a third-party utility we support, and apologize for the inconvenience.

For XP and Vista users, we are currently working on a solution to allow you to launch the game. We'll have more information when we are ready to deploy the fix, which we expect to have ready as soon as possible. The issue you are experiencing has to do with the new in-game browser not being compatible to older 32-bit systems such as Vista and XP, since those operating systems don't support newer Chromium Embedded Framework. (Cordovan)

Updated my post, the only other topic I mentioned was some hunter said he has 1000 more morale under the new formula, so congratulations bad at video games Legolas people

extra stout fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 1, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
As expected I gained an amount of Morale equal to my Vitality, so another 1100, which is always nice.

Ranged damage increase from 64396 PM has increased from 229.1 to 239.1%. With 13950 crit rating my ranged crit chance has gone from 26.9% to 27.0%, my devastate chance has gone from 9.1% to 9.3%, and my crit magnitude is still increased by 30.7% (yes, I had all of this in a spreadsheet somewhere that I hadn't touched since last October). So my damage output seems to have gone up by a few percent, no particularly big change.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Came in here to ask what's up with the intense lag, I see other people are experiencing it as well. My character will randomly come to a dead stop and be locked in place for 10-15 seconds. Skills can take several seconds to use. Still having the same issues with my war-steed that have existed since Riders of Rohan launched, namely the choppy graphics and occasional slingshotting backwards.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

Came in here to ask what's up with the intense lag, I see other people are experiencing it as well. My character will randomly come to a dead stop and be locked in place for 10-15 seconds. Skills can take several seconds to use. Still having the same issues with my war-steed that have existed since Riders of Rohan launched, namely the choppy graphics and occasional slingshotting backwards.

Yeah I can't defend their lack of testing each patch on more than one o/s. The idea here seems to be to go all in to get the engine ready to make Mordor really good and not just another continuation of a dated laggy engine. We'll see if it pays off or not.

They do seem to be really putting in work even at the expense of people who want to enjoy the game this week/month. Some things worth preparing for: Now is probably no longer the time to max your gear out. Things like your LIs are perfect to work on, finishing Mordor rep is a good idea. No one can raid currently because they need to scale the raid mobs back, their numbers were all hit by the Mordor prep code.

I would bet Mordor is looking more like 10 levels, not 5, which makes sense because we're coming off years of content packs and only five levels increased through all of them. So everyone should expect to keep their LIs, and maybe half your best gear if it has perfect essence and set bonuses, but the Mordor content is sounding like you will probably be replacing half your gear before you even hit the new level cap.

http://www.hugesoundrecords.com/lotro10/

If anyone wants to buy Chance Thomas' anniversary soundtrack, it's apparently $14.99 for two cds worth of mp3s and people said you can transfer them freely regardless of what device you buy them on. I'll probably skip it, can't confirm. Betting that to cover his current composing and production fees they had to throw in that he gets to sell this CD off his own website for the profit.

Beacon 13 is out
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-13
And the new store coupon code is SKILLDOR if anyone wants to update the MoTD until they fix this new store/login bug.

edit

Not a full fix but they've got a work around up already for anyone who got a launcher bug on XP or Vista.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7728146#post7728146

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 1, 2017

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Sometimes I wish some big company would swoop in, give them all the money they need and port this game to a new modern engine. (Although I'm afraid it might lose some of its charm then as they'll over-do it.)

I really like these Beacon things though, they're really involved in their community it seems.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there a guide to ease me back into playing after being gone for a while? I logged into my Rune Keeper last week and suddenly it looks like I have talent trees, a billion titles, legendary traits much earlier, etc.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Azubah posted:

Is there a guide to ease me back into playing after being gone for a while? I logged into my Rune Keeper last week and suddenly it looks like I have talent trees, a billion titles, legendary traits much earlier, etc.

Nothing exactly like that as far as I know, but just search for whatever thing is confusing you on here

https://lotro-wiki.com/

And in a week if you graduate to top nerd you can read these

http://dadislotroguides.com/

Titles just hover above your name, pick one you think looks cool or none at all, they do nothing. There's definitely guides on the RK around, I believe red/fire is still the one everyone uses at 105 for raiding and generally huge dps. Check my op for a YouTube dude who explains all the details of the LI system, or just read your class forum and find a legacy list / explanation of which do what.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?312-Rune-keepers

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Also, I find it really helpful to go do low-level questlines while I get myself reacquainted. I recommend Bingo's questline that you start in Michel Delving just north of the mayor's hangout; it's a recent addition that is super endearing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Be cool if someone could log on and invite me to the kin

Name: yoan

If anyone plays anymore. This game is great on laptops

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Unknown target character yoan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry, next time I'll specify a time I'm on. I apologize.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

euphronius posted:

Sorry, next time I'll specify a time I'm on. I apologize.

Get on right now in like the next ten minutes and I will inv you.

EDIT: OK actually it's very late and I am going to bed but I've added you to my friend list and if I see you online I'll throw you an invite.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 15, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'll be on tonight (america tonight) if you haven't got an invite by then, they're working on Mordor so most of the beacon is links to community twitter people, screenshots, etc, but here's the coupon code and beacon:

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-15

I've met those Tirn En Taur guys and they seemed alright, no idea if their festival party in Duillond will be some weird roleplaying thing or just a lot of people lighting fireworks

euphronius posted:

That character is a captain and I don't think I like them anyway . They are kind of ... I don't know .. boring ? solo mode and the dumb pet is always standing in the way of everything

Going to try a warden.

It's hard to even guess what a class plays like at 105 until you hit the 20s-30s you'll get some idea of half the abilities at least, but feel free to find one you like the best. Just don't get burnt out on quests playing every class imo. I'm on now and will be on for an hour if you want to post your other name or get your captain invited anyway

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 16, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That character is a captain and I don't think I like them anyway . They are kind of ... I don't know .. boring ? solo mode and the dumb pet is always standing in the way of everything

Going to try a warden.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
So what the gently caress do I do with these 10 scraps of paper?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

So what the gently caress do I do with these 10 scraps of paper?

Spoilers in this thread:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7731635#post7731635

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Okay I've been out of the game for a while and recently reached level 100 on my Loremaster.

I have a couple of questions for which I have not been able to find a satisfactory answer:

1) If I plan to imbue a legendary weapon (and/or LM book), should I obtain a first-age item to imbue or is it fine to do a second or even third-age item?

From what I have gathered so far, for at least the weapon (LM Staff) there would be a benefit to imbuing first-age vs. lower tier items, since the staves have base stat bonuses on them (like +WIS, +VIT, +crit rating, +Morale, etc) which would be higher for a first-age item. The real question is... how much of a difference would it make and would it be worth it to pursue a first-age item?

2) If I need first age items, what is currently the best path towards obtaining them?

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 18, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

flowinprose posted:

Okay I've been out of the game for a while and recently reached level 100 on my Loremaster.

I have a couple of questions for which I have not been able to find a satisfactory answer:

1) If I plan to imbue a legendary weapon (and/or LM book), should I obtain a first-age item to imbue or is it fine to do a second or even third-age item?

From what I have gathered so far, for at least the weapon (LM Staff) there would be a benefit to imbuing first-age vs. lower tier items, since the staves have base stat bonuses on them (like +WIS, +VIT, +crit rating, +Morale, etc) which would be higher for a first-age item. The real question is... how much of a difference would it make and would it be worth it to pursue a first-age item?

2) If I need first age items, what is currently the best path towards obtaining them?

You'll get one crystal of remembrance (most expensive item to upgrade your legendary with, only need one per item, so a second for your class item) from the book quest. I forget how far in, but somewhere mid Gondor. Chapter 7? Or so.

The other you gotta run new or slightly old content (starting around epic battles I think?) and hope to loot a second, pay some big gold for the second, or if you had Helm's Deep or Rohan deluxe editions you get one free per char, bound.

For the symbol itself to craft a first age, just let me know your name and I'll mail you one. I got one slightly cheap for 90g to give to Ociayn, but he stopped logging in the same week a month ago. If he comes back or another goon hits 100, just pay it forward if you can.

To poorly summarize it before I pass out (the YouTube I posted page one explains all of this in depth) you need the symbol of the...elder? king to craft a first age. One crystal of remembrance to add a 7th legacy slot (big deal). Then it's just a slow grind unless you have 5000 gold or a lot of points or real money. After that you can slowly collect anfalas starlit crystals for the minor stat boosts and like two hundred anfalas scrolls to level it up. You can get like 2-5 of these a night in 10 minutes for free from featured instances, as well as the exp (you'll need loads) to max up the item level as you expand the max item level with magic crystals and scrolls.

It's worth the effort because they are permanent, where as 3/4 of your other gear will be replaced in two or so months once the full Mordor expansion hits.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

flowinprose posted:

I got my staff by doing Roving Threats until I had 50 gift givers' brands, and then bartered at a Roving Threat trader. They're pretty fun and often easy to find groups for depending on the time of day you play.

Let me know the character you want the book sent to, I can craft a first age any time.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Yes, Roving threats (most often referred as RT in world chat) is a very good way to get a first age weapon.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

AskYourself posted:

Yes, Roving threats (most often referred as RT in world chat) is a very good way to get a first age weapon.

Ah okay, so that must be the "Wastes RT" groups I keep seeing in chat.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flowinprose posted:

Ah okay, so that must be the "Wastes RT" groups I keep seeing in chat.

Was wondering that myself.

Final fantasy 14 is having a bunch of issues this weekend because of the expansion release overloading the servers, back in the day, I got a lifetime subscription to this dead game back in beta and played on and off until the horse riding / Rohan expansion came out then just stopped playing.

So I downloaded LOTRO, read that wardens are the current best solo levelling class and used some of my tens of thousands of banked turbine points to buy a level 50 boost and am now working through moria on my warden. I don't remember wardens being so good, something must have changed in the last few years.

Is there anything I should know that I absolutely need as far as gear or content? When last I played it was LI's and skirmishes, or should I just grind out that epic quest and get my rear end out of moria? I feel like even trying to get a better LI is a waste at my level. I'm just using the free one from the first part of moria... Turns out my old alts and mules are still in the kin, but can I get a kin invite for 'kyrje'

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 20, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Be on for the next hour (8:40 eastern) or so if I could get a kinvite

Name: Breawing

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
As far as LI are concerned, upgrade your weapon LI every 5 level or so (for the dps) and for the offhand every 10 level or so. For the offhand there is no difference in the bonus you get when upgrading level for the percentile based bonus so if you get some really good combo you can keep it even more than 10 level. Also, third age will do fine.

Until level 100 that is, then it's a whole new world with imbument, good thing is when you get a level 100 LI, you can keep it forever, no need to upgrade them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm a little confused...what's the difference between buying an expansion pack, and having the quest pack unlocked through VIP?

I don't know if I'm expected to buy expansions and a monthly fee or what, at this point. :psyduck:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think expansion packs you have to buy either way, but then there's content packs that VIP get for free.

So Moria, Riders of Rohan are expansions, but stuff like Great River, all the Gondor stuff, etc, are content packs.

Maybe I'm wrong though!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is weirdly complicated. Even looking around online doesn't seem to help much!

Wah.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

Be on for the next hour (8:40 eastern) or so if I could get a kinvite

Name: Breawing

Ill be on the next hour or so (12:40 pm and on) if I could get an invite, thanks.

Edit

Thank you for the invite !!

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2017

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

This is weirdly complicated. Even looking around online doesn't seem to help much!

Wah.

From the wiki @ https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types

quote:

VIP Account Discussion
VIP status is one of three types of account a new LOTRO player can have today. As a player with a VIP account, you have unlimited access to all game content; only expansions must be purchased. VIP is another way of describing a subscriber.

So it looks like you would have to purchase Mordor if it's a paid expansion.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So when does expansion content "start"? I'm level 22 at the moment - really soaking up the game's atmosphere, as I don't have another game on - but have this weird feeling I'll be missing something significant.

VIP seems like a fantastic deal, but buying four expansions at the same time turns me off.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

poptart_fairy posted:

So when does expansion content "start"? I'm level 22 at the moment - really soaking up the game's atmosphere, as I don't have another game on - but have this weird feeling I'll be missing something significant.

VIP seems like a fantastic deal, but buying four expansions at the same time turns me off.

the original level cap was 50--some systems and such introduced by expansions might open up a bit earlier (LIs I remember for sure) but most of the content content kicks in right around 50.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright cheers guys. I'll stick with a free account for the time being then; doubt I'll be hitting the gold cap anytime soon as I keep ploughing it all into stupid house stuff nobody else will ever see.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
33-35ish is where F2P effectively ends. Buy a one month sub, roll every character that you ever intent to play, and log each one on during your VIP month. Doing that will permanently unlock a ton of stuff on each character.

At the very least, you'll need the Moria expansion. You can start its Prologue(which awards you your first Legendary Weapon) at 45.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eregion questing is level 45, so you can actually start picking them up at 40. Eregion is actually a pretty decent zone, and it's world's ahead of angmar.
It's part of the moria expansion so you are good until 40.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks again, guys. Looks as if I can take it much easier than I thought! If TSW: Legends doesn't grab me, I'm going to put my money into this instead. I played it briefly at release but regret leaving it alone - game is absolutely beautiful, and in twenty levels I've not had any sniff of orcs or apocalypses or anything. That Turtle Soup quest. :allears:

Also holy goddamn, the music is beautiful.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Mordor Expansion Pack News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVhon1rSwE

It's nerds talking so I'm posting some highlights here for those who don't want to spend an hour on it

Going to update this as I listen to it in the background so far we got:

-Mordor beta hitting the bullroarer test server tomorrow, which I would think means it's a month or two away assuming it gets tested 2-3x more than an average patch

-Level cap going up by ten, confirmed

-The roads in Mordor will establish difficulty, once we break in the casuals can play 'close to the roads' and the further off the traveled paths you go the more likely you are to need gold gear or get poo poo on

-Already confirmed, Chance Thomas soundtrack coming

More stuff:

-Legendary Items continue, a new relic slot will be added. I imagine it'll be just for an end game Mordor relic. Maybe related to the allegiance system.

-Supposedly we will finally shift away from morale and vitality will be the choice source of morale again. What this means right now: Unless you're trying to raid actively, sell your morale essence as they would've lost most their value in a 10 level jump anyway.

-Virtues going up for the first time in years? Ever? Might only be to 20, but cool.

-Barber NPCs now go beyond hair and beards, you'll be able to change all of the eye color/facial features/body type settings on your character.

euphronius posted:

Is this the last expansion ?

Nope, not unless everyone quits they've already mentioned going back and updating old areas, adding new areas, but they won't confirm which until they're all done with Mordor. I believe Mordor will also get one more update even beyond the expansion. After that the forums rumor and beg of hopes for either North Mirkwood or Erebor being added by/in 2018.

More fuckin words: Just now I was watching this I saw he zoned into an area to smith or deconstruct some of the new gear, it said Now entering Erebor: Great Chamber of Thorin

I doubt the whole area is in but at least partially it must be, that's where you turn in rep for the dwarf faction I imagine is its quest and story purpose.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 23, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is this the last expansion ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sweet