Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

NEVERENDING STORY

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

''In just three hours after the onset of the incident, 7 of the 16 persons inside the facility passed away. The remaining 6 civilians and 3 rescue workers spent another six hours locked inside the facility... And nine hours after the onset of the incident, at 6:17 PM, a large explosion partially destroyed the facility. But as a result of the rescue workers' actions in the face of death, all 6 civilians were safely rescued--'' ...That's probably how the story of today's incident will be told. It's such a simple story to tell. The vast majority of people probably won't see a single problem with it. With the exception of the individuals directly affected... The truth of the incident was engulfed in flames and buried under the debris. But I still don't believe in their deaths. I know they're still alive.

So that's our second ending. The results are fairly similar to the other one - six made it out alive (which we can probably assume for the other ending as well, as we now know that Miyoko had an escape plan ready for those that made it out through the bulkheads), and we went from ''two definitely dead, one very probably dead but not confirmed'' to ''three very probably dead but not confirmed'', which is basically a wash. But since it was Kazami and Jun that kicked it in this ending compared to Ukita and Natsuhiko in the other one, the other one probably comes out ahead. So now we've got one more normal ending to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"This isn't where this story ends!"

Game Over: D Normal Ending #1

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

"This isn't where this story ends!"

Game Over: D Normal Ending #1

This is actually a lead in for the sequel to this game, where instead of a phantom Yuuri, Natsuhiko now has to deal with a phantom Watase, a phantom Kazami, and a phantom Jun all at once because he doesn't want to accept that they got blown to smithereens. Hijinks ensue.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BIRD THAT FACES THE WIND: 09/16/2030, 17:55

And so, finally, we come to Team ''Nothing Left To Live For''.

(Does somebody have to die...!?)

It was almost time to make their decision. The time to decide who to cast away was imminent...!

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

He considered the idea for a moment. But he didn't quite understand what Kazami was thinking. When he looked at her and tried to ask, he received telepathy from her.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

{I've thought of just one way to make sure everyone survives.}
{Huh!?}

Natsuhiko's eyes widened at those words.

{But we have to stay down here for it to work.}
{H-hey, wait a second! How does us staying down here relate to everyone's survival?}
{It doesn't matter who stays behind, but regardless of who says they will, it'll cause an intense argument, won't it? It'll be fatal to waste any time in this situation. But we have a means to ''persuade'' everyone smoothly.}
{...!}

Once he heard that, Natsuhiko finally understood what Kazami was getting at.

{You mean we'll ''persuade'' everyone with memory manipulation...!?}
{Yes. If I say I'll stay, then Watase and Jun wouldn't agree to it, see? But if we change that problem at its source-- Say we cleverly falsify my relationship with them-- Then we should be able to persuade them without question.}
{...}
{... Please understand, Tenkawa. We don't have time. I don't want Watase or Jun to die. Nor any of the others, obviously. Tenkawa, you don't want Ms. Toba or Ms. Sannomiya to die either, do you? This is the only way we can prevent those deaths.}

Kazami's resolve propagated to Natsuhiko along with her words. But Natsuhiko remained prudent and asked more questions.

{... So if you, Yuuri, and I will stay down here... Is there a way for us to live?}
{I have an abundance of knowledge regarding explosives thanks to my line of work. I've been thinking of places where an explosion from Area Zero wouldn't reach.}
{Are there any!?}

{I think we'll be fine if we go there, but just in case, I'd like to get the other six out of here first... That's my plan. Can I trust in you...!?}

Kazami looked at Natsuhiko. There was not a shade of hesitation in her eyes. They were the eyes of a woman who constantly put her life on the line to save lives. When he looked into her eyes, Natsuhiko felt he could trust in her.

{I understand... I'll join you in your wager, Ms. Tachibana. Please tell me the details of the alterations.}
{...! Thank you for your cooperation!}

Kazami bowed her head and then explained the essentials of the plan.

{The key is to falsify everyone's memories at roughly the same time. A time difference would inevitably cause at least one person to make a commotion. So the three of us, that is, you, Ms. Yuuri, and I, will each alter two people's memories.}
{And the details of the alterations?}
{We should give the six of them a memory that will cause them to escape without worrying about us-- In other words ''There is no bomb''. We'll replace it with the false information that ''unless three people open the bulkheads from the control room, they won't open for another 24 hours''. If we convey that information to them, then I'm sure they'll leave without issue.}
{...!}

Natsuhiko was a little uneasy about it, but there didn't seem to be any other option. He now had the same kind of resolve that Kazami did.

{Roger! Should I tell Yuuri the same thing!?}
{Please do!}

Natsuhiko nodded and sent telepathy to Yuuri.

{Yuuri, can you hear me!?}

{Ms. Tachibana thought of a way to get everyone to survive just now. And that way is--}

Natsuhiko explained Kazami's proposal to Yuuri. Yuuri quickly accepted that proposal.

{... Yeah, that's something only we can do, huh?}
{Yeah...!}
{Okay. Then I'll take care of Mashiron and Salyu.}
{Okay, I'll cover Prof. Tsubakiyama and Mr. Ukita.}

Natsuhiko looked at Kazami and conveyed Yuuri's thoughts.

{Ms. Tachibana, Yuuri agreed. Let's all alter everyone's memories together. Ms. Tachibana, can you take care of Watase and Jun?}
{... Yes. I'll try.}

The three nodded at each other and stepped up to the other six.

Think of something?
Yeah, we did think... of a way for everyone to survive.

Natsuhiko answered-- And they began memory manipulation.

And he replaced it with false memories concerning the opening of the bulkheads.

(Okay, that takes care of my share!)

(Did it work...!?)

Natsuhiko timidly tried asking them.

...So, guys.... The three of us will stay down here and open the bulkheads... That okay...?
Right... Someone's gotta do it.
It's gotta be tough to be locked in here for 24 hours, huh...
Mm, you'll get hungry.
!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

''Hungry'' was a word that really showed how unfazed Salyu was. When Natsuhiko heard that word, he knew for sure that the memory falsification had succeeded.

(We did it!)

He exchanged looks with Yuuri and Kazami and then began to speak.

Right! So we'll open the bulkheads!
Everyone else, please escape before us!
Very well...!
B-but... wouldn't it be better if we all waited the 24 hours together...?
Exactly. It'd be better than us splitting up.
I don't see why it has to be you three in particular.
No, this is the best plan. If all of us wait here the 24 hours, it would lower everyone's stamina. That would increase the difficulty in getting away from Security Sector 6, wouldn't it? The three of us are high level Communicators. At the very least, the security department's got their eyes on us. Security Sector 6 will target us three... so if we all move together, there's a higher possibility that we'll hold each other back. Captain, please report the situation to the Commander and get the others' support.
...!

Kazami's stifled voice seemed to overpower Watase and the others.

...Guess we've got no choice, then.
...Indeed.

Everyone nodded at those words. Since they were under the impression that there was no bomb, they didn't put up as much of a resistance. Mashiro and Salyu spoke to Natsuhiko and Yuuri.

Natsuhiko, Yuuri... I'm sorry for entrusting such a tough role to you...
I think it'll be tough to wait for 24 hours...
But once this is over, we can all go home.
That's right, Hikorin. You, me, Mashiron, and Salyu can all go home.

Next was Ukita and Ena.

I'm sorry, you two... We've gotten so far, and yet we can't all escape together...
But we'll come save you later for sure. I'll get backup from the ESP Bureau and come back here in the next 24 hours to make that happen, okay?
We're counting on you, Professor.

Natsuhiko answered with a smile. Finally, Watase and Jun spoke to Kazami.

Lieutenant... Please take care of Natsuhiko and Yuuri.
It's my fault that you have to put up with this responsibility... I swear I'll make it up to you outside.
Yes, please do.

Kazami spoke coldly.

(...?)

That exchange made Natsuhiko feel uncomfortable. There was something strange about what Jun and Watase had said. But Kazami spoke to everyone before he had a chance to ask.

Now then, everyone! We'll open the bulkheads! Captain, Moribe, Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, Ms. Toba, Ms. Sannomiya. Please escape!
Yeah!

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

The six responded enthusiastically and rushed out of the control room. After those six left, Kazami spoke to Natsuhiko and Yuuri.

...Now then, Tenkawa, Ms. Yuuri. Please stand by at the terminals. Let's open the bulkheads in precisely three minutes!
R-right.
Got it.

Natsuhiko stood in front of the terminals as told. As he waited for the designated time to come, he questioned Kazami.

...Ms. Tachibana. About Watase and Jun... Don't you think those two were acting kind of bizarre?
What about them?
Well, like-- Why did Jun call you 'Lieutenant'? She'd been calling you 'Sis' up until then. And Watase's behavior seemed a little flat or something...
...!

Kazami's eyebrows twitched at those words.

...I went ahead and did a few more alterations to their memory. Alterations regarding their relationship to me... 'I am simply Watase's subordinate.' 'Jun and I are nothing close to sisters, just coworkers.' I diluted our relations in that fashion.
F... for what purpose?

Kazami didn't answer. Instead--

--It's time. Open the bulkheads!
!! Right!

Natsuhiko operated Brain Cell as told. They stole root authority, canceled the Case N declaration, and opened the bulkheads. They had no means of checking if Watase and the others had escaped, but--

...They all got out of there, didn't they?
Yes. I'm sure...

After they had said that, Kazami spoke up.

...Now then, let's make survival preparations.
Yeah.
The time is '6:07'. Only 10 minutes until detonation... I'll take you two to the cargo lift immediately.

An uneasy expression rose on Yuuri's face, but Kazami smiled at her.

...Please relax, Ms. Yuuri. I won't let you die, I swear. I won't let you think that it's okay for you to die just because you're a Communicator.

Her expression was gentle, but on the other hand, her voice was oozing with determination. --And thus, they moved to the cargo lift room.

She then removed the ceiling boards of the cargo lift cage.

Explosions always spread up and out. So if we create a route for the explosion to escape, it should increase our safety.

But by the time she had finished her work, there were only five minutes left until detonation. Kazami took a deep breath and spoke.

...Now it's complete. But to ensure we have the greatest safety possible, let's move as deep into the room as we can.
Y-yes.

Natsuhiko and Yuuri nervously sat with their backs to the deepest wall in the room.

So now we just wait...

Yuuri murmured that stiffly. Time slowly ticked by. How many more minutes until detonation? A sudden anxiety welled up in Natsuhiko's heart.

(Will we really be safe here...!?)

Right when Natsuhiko thought that-- Kazami embraced the two children from the front.

!!

Kazami's arms were trembling. Once Natsuhiko noticed that, he softly spoke.

...Ms. Tachibana, you're scared too, aren't you?
...No.
But you're trembling...
I'm okay. We'll survive for sure.

Kazami answered clearly.

There's something here that's actually more effective as explosion protection than you would think. And that something will protect you two.
Huh...? What's that?
Hee hee, you don't know, do you? Wood and iron aren't actually all that effective as explosion protection. In the event of an explosion, they're actually more dangerous because they could break into shrapnel and spread further. ...Hard objects won't keep you safe. You need something moderately soft and fluid...
...!

Anxiety filled Natsuhiko's heart once again. Yuuri squeezed out a question.

Wait, Ms. Tachibana... something soft? You don't mean...!
Yes, a human body.
...!

Natsuhiko gasped as Kazami continued.

It might come as a surprise, but for example, by falling on a grenade, a human body can completely absorb the explosion, you know? And since human bodies are mostly water, explosions don't easily shatter them into dangerous shrapnel. So as long as you're in my arms, you're safe--
Wh-what are you saying!? That means you'll be giving up your life so that we might live, doesn't it!?
No, this is just insurance. Even if I didn't do this, the explosion shouldn't reach this far.
Then why are you trembling...!?
...!

Yuuri's question silenced Kazami. After a short silence, Kazami whispered.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

...I'm sorry. I lied. There is no guaranteed safe place in this facility.
No way!

Natsuhiko tried to shake Kazami off, but--

Please don't struggle!!

Kazami shouted and pushed Natsuhiko down.

Tenkawa, Ms. Yuuri... Please allow me to do this.
Huh...?
...I couldn't save that girl... my little sister...

Kazami whispered that in a fading voice.

She died here. Right in front of my eyes... Nagisa died. Just because she was a Communicator. That's why... at the very least, I want you two to survive no matter what.

Kazami embraced the two children even tighter, as if to stop herself from trembling.

...Ms. Tachibana.
...I'm sorry that we adults are such idiots. We stole away your happiness... Once you get out of here, live happily, enough for Nagisa too--

Once Kazami said that,

they heard a thunderous roar off in the distance.

(!!)

Roars and tremors approached through the floor. And when Natsuhiko looked to the entrance of the cargo lift room, an intense sound, force, and heat-- --engulfed the three of them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LIFE

----
--

...How much time passed since then...?

(...) ...Ugh...

...Wh... where am I...?

His entire body ached terribly. He could tell his limbs were wrapped in bandages.

(Wh... where are the other two...?)

He saw Yuuri lying in the bed next to him. Her body was wrapped in bandages too. Judging by the faint trace of redness in her cheeks, she seemed to be alive. Natsuhiko felt relieved, but then-- He noticed something. Kazami wasn't there.

M... Ms. Tachibana...?

No response.

Ms. Tachibana...!

No response. Instead, the door opened, and Dr. Tenkawa entered the room.

M... Mom...
You were in critical condition...! Thanks to that female rescue worker, you two barely survived that--

Natsuhiko interrupted.

Wh... what happened to Ms. Tachibana...?

The professor gulped at that question--

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

And quietly shook her head.

We found you two... still in her arms... But by then, she was already...
...!

--The moment he heard those words, tears flowed from Natsuhiko's eyes.

Ah... aaah... AHHHHHHHHH...!

Sobs leaked from the back of his throat. The professor looked at Natsuhiko sadly. --He recalled Kazami's words.

Once you get out of here, live happily, enough for Nagisa too--

Natsuhiko nodded to himself in tears.

But they would never let themselves be broken. They would survive through it all. To live the lives Kazami gave them to their fullest--

And so, that's the third normal ending. For reference, this was the ending I first got when playing through this game - my judgement being that 1) the Rank S Communicators were going to die in like ten years or so anyway and 2) they would spend that time being chased down by LABO and/or Q. Everybody else had longer to live and probably more to live for (Ukita and Watase are edge cases, though they might get off easy due to extenuating circumstances - being maliced when they committed all their murders and attempted murders - and being important witnesses in catching larger fish - that being LABO). And it turns out that I picked the best ending, at least as far as body count is concerned. Kazami had the best plan out of the three endings, as she managed to make eight people survive with only one death.

However, as some of you already worked out, I have been keeping the correct answer away from you for now, primarily because I didn't want to do voting between three obviously bad options and one obviously correct option. Would be kind of pointless. I think it's a lot more interesting which of the wrong answers you pick as opposed to just picking the obviously correct answer. I guess you didn't need empathy to see through me, though... so next time, we'll make the right choice.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Not that I haven't had to suspend my disbelief many times before, but I'm skeptical Kazami's body alone would have been enough to ensure the survival of two teenagers, one of whom is taller than her.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HOPE: 09/16/2030, 18:04

And it is thus that we come to the right decision for this. As some of you already worked out, we have to set everybody to maximum for the correct answer that lets us continue on.

(Does somebody have to die...!?)

It was almost time to make their decision. The time to decide who to cast away was imminent...!

(... Who do we cast away...? I can't decide that...!)

--He couldn't come to a quick decision.

(... I've seen everybody's memories. I've had a glimpse of everyone's lives. I've come to know the emotions they've had...!)

He recalled the words he had heard in everyone's memories.

Everyone had their own convictions. Natsuhiko had learned that by seeing the particulars of their memories. ...And that's why he couldn't choose. Even though he may have been able to cast someone away had he known nothing--

(... But... In that case, I want to keep searching to the very end. For a route where nobody has to be cast away!)

To stand up against despair.

I won't let anyone else die... All nine of us will survive together!!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

All of us survive... together?
Yes.

For six to survive, three had to stay behind-- That was a premise that Natsuhiko did not want to accept.

Sacrificing some to save others...? I'm sick and tired of that notion!
What!?
Watase, you see... I've been living nine years of peace thanks to Yuuri sacrificing her life. I've been allowed to live nine years in an illusion thanks to Mashiro's dedication. I'm truly grateful for those two, but-- Are you telling me to just accept that some people will have to be sacrificed!?
...!

Natsuhiko spoke to the others as well.

Everyone else here is the same as me... We've all had our lives saved by someone else's sacrifice. We've all lost something precious because of someone else's sacrifice. How many times must we repeat that cycle?

Everyone's faces froze at those words. Every individual in the room had lost something in that same way. However--

Easier said than done! Do you have any way to actually pull that off!?
No, I don't! But I'm saying we shouldn't just give up and accept that 'some people will have to be sacrificed'! 'Sacrificing yourself' is the same drat thing! Don't give up on life! Remember what Wataru said? Fight on until the very end! If you wanna give up, then you can do that later, right!?
It's the instinct of the human individual to try and survive regardless of the situation, right? Then isn't it the logic of the human community to try and survive together, without sacrificing anyone!? Everyone here wants to live! So isn't it only obvious for us to try and survive as a whole!?

Even if it were an idealistic thought detached from reality... Even if it were nothing more than an impossible delusion... That was what Natsuhiko desired.

He remembered all of the unsightly sides of humans he had seen today.

--And every one of them had held dangerous weapons. Every one of them was frightening. And once again, everybody--

--had become unable to fully trust one another.

Humans are filled with malice. Humans are bringers of despair. That's what he had once thought.

He had seen many beautiful, precious sides to them too.

We all strove hard to get to this point! We never gave up, did we!? If any of us gave up that easily, we would've died long ago! We're the ones who never gave up!

Everyone fell silent at Natsuhiko's words. Deep silence filled the control room. Eventually the silence was torn apart-- by Yuuri's voice.

L... let's think, everyone! There has to be a way waiting for us somewhere... No, even if there isn't! We mustn't give up on thinking until the very end of our time limit! That's how we've gotten this far, isn't it!? We survived even when our path was filled with poisonous gas, even when fire chased us from behind, even in the most dire of situations, didn't we!? When Captain Kasasagi and I were trapped under the rubble, you didn't abandon us, did you!? I don't want to die! But I don't want to sacrifice anyone else, either!! Those are my true feelings!!

That was perhaps the first time Natsuhiko had heard Yuuri shout so seriously. She had always smiled quietly. She had always cowered in fear. She had always been thinking of others-- It was the one and only time she acted selfish. Her will resounded in everyone's hearts. Her best friend smiled in relief.

Yeah... You're right, Yuuri. I think so too!
I also agree...!
Well, that sounds like the more rescue squad-like option to me!
But in all honesty, what do we do? Make a full-power sprint in the thirty second span that the bulkheads remain open?
That's impossible! Some of us are injured, you know!?
The only emergency stairs that go to the surface are in Area 2! We can't make it in time even if we run from here!

Time passed even as they held this discussion. A look at the watch revealed the time was ''6:07 PM''-- 10 minutes until detonation.

(Think! Is there no other way!?)

He recalled everything they had seen and heard. Natsuhiko's memories. Watase's memories. Yuuri's, Mashiro's, Salyu's, Kazami's, Jun's, Ena's, Ukita's memories-- Nothing came to mind. The time was ''6:08 PM''-- 9 minutes.

(C'mon, don't give up! Think! There's just gotta be a way!)

He recalled everything that happened today.

(We'll find an escape route!)

The very moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, as if to support his will--

Huh...?

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

Everyone's eyes widened. They all stared at Watase.

C-Captain... d-did you just say something?
And with telepathy...?

That was indeed Watase's voice. But it somehow didn't seem to come from his voicebox.

Watase! Don't tell me you awoke to BC too!?
N-no! It wasn't me! I don't have any aptitude, and I wasn't even trying to use it! I mean, it even echoed in my head, too! It couldn't have been my telepathy, could it!?
Th-then what in the world was that--

An illusion!? An auditory hallucination!? As soon as those question's passed Natsuhiko's mind, the voice echoed once more.

It wasn't an illusion, nor an auditory hallucination. Everyone certainly heard that voice. A ''something'' that was neither Watase's voice nor his telepathy.

{If that's just a dummy, then we can escape through there...!}

As the voice continued, Natsuhiko remembered.

(It's from back then! That's what Watase said three hours ago when he tried to escape through the drainage pipe!)

Watase seemed to make the same realization, for he murmured dumbfoundedly.

Wh-what... What's going on!? Why am I just now hearing what I said in the past!?
Could residual information energy have returned again!?
But Captain Kasasagi wasn't using BC back then! That phenomenon shouldn't even apply!
No--!

True. Watase wasn't using BC back then. But Natsuhiko was. He had been continuously using Senses Sympathy on Watase.

(Our brains were connected via BC particles... Everything Watase experienced had propagated back to me. So in other words, that means--!)

The trace information energy emitted from Watase's mind drifted through the space between him and Natsuhiko. And due to the particle amplifier, the energy was amplified and lingered there without dissipating--

(It's only coming back now!?)

The moment he made that realization,

sights of the past flickered before his eyes.

{Then that means we have three problems that we have to solve first-- #1: How do we open a hole in the pipe?}

{Why was there a bomb planted inside a fire extinguisher!?}

{We've got a respirator set up and a transfusion kit if we ever need it, but nothing we can use right now.}

{So... should we wait for the water to cool down after we stop it from running?}
{That'd be the best way, but it'd probably take too much time...}

{All of LABO will be flooded. Please be careful.}

--and then disappeared.

They exchanged glances. There was something clearly strange about that phenomenon.

Th-that... That didn't seem like a simple return of lingering information energy...

Naturally, it wasn't a simple reminiscence. It was fragmentary sights and words. But that collection of fragments seemed to hold some sort of meaning.

Wait, could that stream of information just now... contain a way to escape!?
Think, guys! Try to find meaning in what happened just now!

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

The nine of them pondered. What was the meaning hidden within those flickering sights?

The first thing we heard was 'the pipes', right!?
Then should we really try to escape through there after all!?
But we failed when we tried three hours ago, didn't we!?
Then what should we do!?
How to open a hole, a way to breathe, hot water, intake pipe...
There's a way to escape hidden in this information...
And that way is...!?

It was just a mess of ambiguous, fragmentary information.

There was an answer.

Aah...!

Natsuhiko abruptly gasped. And at the same time, everyone's eyes widened.

It seemed everyone reached the answer at the same time.

...I see... So that's the way!

They found the one, final route remaining-- A route where everyone's survival was possible.

(That's it...! That's it, that's it, that's it! That has to be it!!)

His heartbeat sped up. His temples went numb. The hope they finally found at the last moment-- They exchanged glances and shouted it.

--Okay, everyone! This is the plan!
First, we hack into Brain Cell and get six of us out of here!
Yes!
Then the three left behind will escape from the 'designated location'!
Roger!
Understood!
All right!

--Everyone understood, without anyone having to say the particulars. At that moment, nine minds became one in perfect unison.

But that still means three people have to stay behind!
Who'd be the best to stay behind!?

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and Watase all answered at the same time.

We'll stay behind!
Security Sector 6 have their eye on me and Hikorin! It'd actually be more dangerous for us to try and escape now!
Yeah! After you six escape, I'll take responsibility for Natsuhiko and Yuuri and get them out of here safely!

The six nodded to the three's proposal.

Then once the bulkheads open, we'll evacuate to a safe place!
If we board a rescue chopper, we can escape the security department's clutches altogether!
Then after we escape, we'll go pick you three up! Let's reunite outside!
Then once all nine of us are back together, let's migrate to the ESP Bureau headquarters! They can't pursue us there!

The plan fell into place all at once. Mashiro and Salyu looked at Natsuhiko and Yuuri and spoke.

I'm worried, but... this is the only way, isn't it?
It's tough even with that in mind...
It's okay, it's okay.
Mashiron, Salyu... We'll meet again outside for sure.
...Promise?

And then Kazami and the others spoke to Watase.

Captain, take care of those two for me.
Hang in there, Captain. I know you can do it.
I won't forgive you if you die or allow either of the other two to die, okay?
I might not be in any position to say this, but... I'm counting on you, Captain Kasasagi.
Yeah, I know... That's my duty, after all.

There was no need for any other words. This was not a final farewell. Everyone believed they'd live to see each other again.

There's no more time... Let's begin, everyone!
In one minute, we'll hack into Brain Cell and open up the bulkheads!
So please wait by the bulkheads and escape as soon as they open, okay!?

And with those words, everyone raised their voices in unison.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Ah, I love the smell of Deus Ex Machina in the morning.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Has Mashiro not been exposed to enough WX particles for long enough for her Aptitude to rise as well? I can't imagine the cargo lift would block all that much.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

asymmetrical posted:

Has Mashiro not been exposed to enough WX particles for long enough for her Aptitude to rise as well? I can't imagine the cargo lift would block all that much.

I think the cargo lift's walls are made of BC isolation material.

According to the manual that Jun and Watase found back in "Cargo Lift", this cargo lift is to be used for evacuation, even during a Case N. Now, they changed that later so that it could not be used for evacuation (as Natsuhiko found out), but that doesn't change the materials they used to build that lift. And if it's supposed to keep you safe during a Case N, AKA "Communicator with death thoughts on the loose", I would imagine it is supposed to keep you safe from BC, and therefore also WX particles. By the time Mashiro got out, the levels had probably decreased enough.

I think the reason only Kazami got infected is a combination of aptitude, time spent in high-WX-particle areas, and time spent not injected with AD. If you'll remember, Kazami took only a half dose of AD at one point and was eating WX particles like crazy, which is analogous to what Natsuhiko and Yuuri did way back when. They had no idea what AD was, so they didn't use it and just ate the particles.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

BenRGamer posted:

Ah, I love the smell of Deus Ex Machina in the morning.

I should point out that they may not be right about the reason they're getting organized thoughts propagating to them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ESCAPE / Last Escape: 09/16/2030, 18:11

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

Good, we made it in time!
Now to wait for the bulkheads to open--
No, wait a second! Sis isn't here!
What!?
Don't tell me she--!

(I can't leave her here!)

And with that thought in mind, she leapt into a certain office.

Nagisa, you've always wanted to get out of here, haven't you...? So let's get out of here together...

Kazami left the room with her sister's body in her arms.

She's late... Ms. Tachibana, hurry!

Once Ena yelled impatiently, they saw Kazami appear at the bottom of the emergency staircase.

She made it!!
Let's go! Please open it up, Captain!

Natsuhiko, Watase, and Yuuri raised their voices from back in the control room.

Okay, it's time!
Yes!
Opening the bulkheads!

They operated the three control terminals at once, and opened the bulkheads.

The bulkheads that had kept the nine survivors imprisoned slowly began to open. Mashiro then immediately sent telepathy to Dr. Tenkawa without missing a beat.

{Professor, can you hear me!?}

She waited for her answer with telepathy-- and then she heard the professor's voice.

{Mashiro!?}
{Good, we connected!}
{How did we suddenly connect!? Wait, did the bulkheads open!?}
{We neutralized the bulkhead lockdown with your hacking software! We're getting out now! How's the situation over there!?}

{... Ah! Looks like Security Sector 6 has noticed the bulkheads opening too! Mashiro, get to the entrance as quickly as possible! We'll secure an escape route for you!}

The professor's voice was frantic. The situation seemed urgent.

The six of them ran as Mashiro shouted that.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

--The bulkheads shut behind them. But they dared not look back. They kept on running so as to not betray the feelings of the three who stayed behind of their own accord. Eventually, they began to hear a commotion up in front of them--

--The entrance was in tumultuous disarray. Dozens of rescue workers were pushing back a mass of thirty or forty men in protection suits on two sides. And in the center of the parted sea stood a woman--

Professor!
Mashiro! Yui!

A look of joy shone upon the professor's face-- and then froze the next instant.

Wh-where are Natsuhiko and Yuuri!?
They stayed behind underground with the Sirius captain!
They what!?
It's okay, Professor! They won't die! They'll get out of there alive for sure!

Salyu shouted that to the professor. The professor hesitated for a second before speaking up.

...Understood. All of you, escape! There's a helicopter on standby outside! Get through to the front entrance!

As the professor screamed, members of Security Sector 6 shouted across the sea of rescue squad members.

SS6 Member 1: Hold it right there!!
SS6 Member 2: You're at risk of radiation contamination! You shouldn't act on your--
How long will you keep making lies like that!?

Ukita's shouts interrupted them.

SS6 Member 1: ...!?

Once the Security Sector 6 members faltered, Kazami and Jun took that opportunity to shout.

More importantly, there's a high-magnitude bomb in the facility!
It's gonna blow in five minutes! You all need to get outta here -now-!
SS6 Member 2: A-a bomb!?

This time, they saw a clear disturbance among the Security Sector 6 members. And at the same time, the six survivors slipped through to the outside.

SS6 Member 1: W-wait!
SS6 Member 2: Don't let them get away! After them!

The Security Sector 6 crowd surged and kicked away at the rescue workers. But at that moment-- The rescue copter came into view on the other side of the entrance.

Just a little bit further, everyone! If we can just run all the way over there--!

But they had the firm conviction that the other six had escaped.

Okay! I'll go gather what we need to escape! You two run to the escape exit!
Yeah, got it!
Let's regroup in the engine room, Captain Kasasagi!

Natsuhiko pocketed the broken Alice Number 1 and ran with Yuuri.

They hurried along their route as Natsuhiko withstood the pain of his wounds.

There, he picked up two oxygen respirator sets.

(Two sets... This isn't enough!)

His ankle hurt from when Salyu twisted it, but he ignored the pain.

There probably wasn't a reliable amount of air remaining in it, but--

(There's still some in it! Better than nothing!)

That bomb was the final key to their escape.

(That's everything we need...!)

Two oxygen respirators. One air tank. And a time bomb-- With all those things in his arms, Watase hurried for the engine room. Three minutes until detonation--!

The ladder that led to the drainage pipe. The place Watase had tried to escape from, but abandoned.

(Of course, we can't escape through the drainage pipe... But I'm sure we can use the pipe to protect ourselves from the explosion!)

The pipe was filled with water and its walls were 2.4 cm thick. Once the tetryl bomb detonated, the safest place in the facility was most likely inside that pipe. And just as Natsuhiko and Yuuri reached the top of the pipe-- --Watase arrived in the engine room. In his arms were the oxygen respirators, the air tank, and the time bomb.

Watase, you're late!
Sorry, ran into some unexpected difficulties!

Watase headed to the pipe next to Natsuhiko and Yuuri with terrific speed. The ''intake pipe'' that ran about 3 m away from the drainage pipe. If they blew a hole in that pipe, it'd submerge LABO in water-- Watase climbed up there and set the time bomb on top of the pipe.

Okay! Ready!

Watase shouted and then looked at his watch. The numbers read ''6:16:41''. Just 19 seconds until detonation--!

Captain Kasasagi, this way! Hurry!
Yeah, I know!

Watase stood on top of the intake pipe, focused all of his strength into his feet-- --and jumped to the drainage pipe 3 m away with the air tank in his arms.

Sorry for the wait, you two!
You made it! Let's hurry on over!

Natsuhiko shouted and looked to the pipe. There was a hole in it. The hole Watase had opened with an axe three hours ago. There was no guarantee that they'd survive if they got inside. The three of them could still die if the explosion blew the entire pipe away.

(But we have to take that gamble!)

The three of them nodded to each other-- --and slipped into the drainage pipe.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Natsuhiko's wounds were inundated.

(Ghh!)

It burned and stung, but still--

(It's nothing I can't withstand...!)

The three of them held their breath inside the hot water and waited for the explosion to come. Watase held Natsuhiko and Yuuri to protect them.

(Is it here yet!? Hurry up and bring it!)

After several seconds that felt like an eternity passed-- A tremendous roar rang out. A shock wave ran through and shook the pipe.

(... Nnnggghh!!)

The sounds of destruction echoed forth from all around them. The pipe shook as if they had been tossed into a waterspout. They could even feel the explosive blast blowing through. But they were protected from it all by the water that surrounded them. ...--Eventually, after the roars and tremors died down--... They crawled out of the drainage pipe.

Natsuhiko exclaimed at the sight that spread out before him. The engine room was ablaze. And due to the explosion induced by the time bomb Watase set up earlier-- The intake pipe had broken and begun to spew water.

...Blowing a hole in the intake pipe would cause LABO's basements to be submerged underwater...

Watase muttered that as he watched the water flow.

...drowning everyone inside the facility. That's why the intake pipe was the only place we could never open a hole through.

But now that we're in this situation and the other six have escaped--
It's okay for us to open a hole in the pipe now, right?
Kind of goes without saying, don't you think?

Natsuhiko chuckled and looked down at the spectacle beneath him. Indeed~~ their escape route was right there. Unlike the drainage pipe, the intake pipe had no obstructions whatsoever. If you opened a hole in there, you'd be able to escape. The only problem was how to breathe. But thanks to the oxygen respirators Watase had prepared, they all had a secure air supply.

Once the basements have been filled with water...
The water should stop flowing out. Then it's just a straight line to Lake Rokumei!

And thus, the three of them waited for the water to submerge LABO's basements. --And after some time had passed, the engine room was full of water. Natsuhiko and Yuuri put on the oxygen respirators. Watase held the air tank tube in his mouth.

{Ready to go, guys?}
{Ready when you are.}
{Okay, then it's 500 m to Lake Rokumei-- All we have to do now is walk.}

The three nodded at each other-- And then slipped into the intake pipe.

the three of them walked in silence. Watase led the way in front of Natsuhiko, with Yuuri behind. No light reached inside the pipe, leaving their vision nearly useless. But still, they pressed on forward. To leave LABO, their prison of nine hours. And little by little-- Natsuhiko felt something that had been surrounding his body slowly fade away.

(...?)

It may have just been his imagination. It was an indescribable sensation.

(WX particles...?)

LABO's interior was filled with WX particles. Those elementary particles that tried to connect people, even if it meant rearranging their genes. Perhaps Natsuhiko had unconsciously felt their presence.

(No... the WX particle energy should've already decayed away... Then what exactly...?)

As he pondered, suddenly-- He remembered a previous conversation he had with Yuuri. The experiment that Yuuri and Dr. Tenkawa were going to perform today. When Natsuhiko asked what sort of experiment his mother had attempted to run, Yuuri answered thusly:

The experimental procedure was to use the WX particle amplifier to create a roughly 500 mSv WX particle field in Area N. But WX particles are merely lumps of energy without any sort of information. An 'empty spirit', so to speak. Basically, this is what the professor wanted to test: If I took all of my intracerebral information energy and emitted it outside my brain with BC-- Would that create a copy of my spirit?

--Due to the terrorist attack, the experiment could not be carried out. But instead--

(I kept using BC... Not just me, but Yuuri too. And Mashiro, and Nagisa, and Ms. Tachibana too...)

And as a result, the emitted information energy lingered and mixed. And eventually, perhaps something was even born out of it. Or perhaps the malfunctioning particle amplifier merely gave birth to an empty spirit. Or maybe nothing was born at all. Natsuhiko did not know.

(... But when I think back... I feel like something was always right there beside me.)

In times of pain, in times of hopelessness, and in times of paranoia and doubt-- It was always there with Natsuhiko. Superimposing itself with his mind through BC particles and showing him which route to take. ...Natsuhiko couldn't help but feel that was the case.

(... I get the feeling something's fading away. Something that had always been inside of me...)

The further they got away from LABO, the more real that feeling became. But right before Watase could think any more about it-- It suddenly got hard to breathe.

♪ BGM: Static ♫

(...!? Crap, the air tank's running low...!)

Watase's heart throbbed in pain. How much longer until the exit? The path was dark and seemed to go on forever.

(... Goddammit... We've come this far...!)

He desperately tried to keep walking, but the water resistance hindered his advance. His brain became oxygen deprived, and his consciousness gradually grew hazy.

(C-crap... can't breathe...! drat... it...! It... hurts...!)

Eventually, his thoughts grew muddy. His memory hazed over as well--...

(Gh... Wh... why...? ...Why does it... hurt so much...!? W... wait... Where... the hell am I, even...? ...What am I doing... in a place like this...? ...Why... am I carrying this heavy thing...!? ...)

(Th... that's right... To... save... everyone... I leapt... into the gas...!)

Area 3's inner ring was filled with oxygen-deficient air. Only a few minutes were left until it was time to administer AD.

(... I need... to get this AD... to everyone... quick...! Or else... everyone... will die...!)

--He didn't want anyone to die. With his mind entirely devoted to that thought, Watase crawled forward. But the wounds he incurred along the way on his mission suddenly began to hurt. His fractured ribs. The gunshot wound to his flank. The laceration on the back of his head. His entire battered body. His throat felt like it was on fire from thirst and all the vomiting he'd done, and his body was as heavy as lead from all the exhaustion he'd built up. His lungs wheezed from the difficulty to breathe. His heart felt like it was about to burst--

(... drat... it... ...Is... this... the end...!?)

Right when the last of Watase's strength was about to fade, a voice echoed in his head.

(!!)

He seemed to have hallucinated for a second. Watase forcibly pumped himself back up and responded.

{I-I'm okay... Just a little tired.}
{Do you not have oxygen!? Take some of mine then--}
{Stop! I don't need your concern!}
{What!?}
{You're a survivor in need of rescue... I have to be the one who rescues you.}

After that mental answer, Natsuhiko grew quiet. After a moment's silence, he continued speaking to Watase.

{Hang in there, Watase...! It's gotta be just a little bit further!}
{Yeah!}

As Watase ravenously sucked in what little oxygen remained in the tank-- --he spurred his body to keep walking.

(He's such a slave driver...!)

He had heard that voice countless times today. And countless times had that voice bestowed him with courage.

(Is that why I've been trying to save everyone...? He's just been leading me this entire time...? ...No...!)

He suddenly recalled a conversation he once had with Yuuri.

Well... I read about it in a book. When people are thrown into extreme situations such as disasters or accidents... they say that they hear a voice that isn't actually there. ...They also say that the voice is always telling that person what actions they should take.
Sure is a strange phenomenon, that's for sure... Wonder why it happens.
The human mind... their knowledge and memories, that is-- works at its absolute best in extreme situations like this... And so it tells you 'what you should do' in the form of a voice echoing in your head... perhaps?
Memories, huh. But I don't have any of those...
But it's said that even when you lose your memories, they leave behind a vague 'feeling'. So perhaps in your case, that feeling in your mind was the strong 'desire to save people'--

--''The Third Man factor''. Its true nature was most likely a strong feeling within the mind. The desire to save someone--

(... That's right. That's what's always been driving me forward. And the other ''me'' who disappeared when I regained my memories...!)

It wasn't just the feelings that propagated from Natsuhiko. The feelings of Wataru, Kazami, Jun, Ena, Ukita, Yuuri, Mashiro, Salyu-- --and everyone else Watase had come in contact with had mixed inside his mind, becoming one single will. The will ''to live''. And the will ''to save''--

(... Don't stop! Stay conscious...! If I fall here, the two behind me can't advance!)

With that thought alone, Watase pressed forward. To carry out his mission--...

Natsuhiko reached out and pressed Watase's back.

{You can do it... You can do it, Watase!}

And then wordlessly, Watase wrapped his arm around his back and grasped Natsuhiko's hand. Relieved, Natsuhiko sent telepathy to Yuuri.

{You with us, Yuuri!?}
{Yeah! I'm right here!}

Yuuri's hand soon touched his back. Natsuhiko reached his right arm behind himself and grasped her hand. In the midst of the cold sensation of the water, they felt each other's warmth. --In the darkness without light. In the overwhelming black void where they lost sight of even themselves. The sensation of hands in his hands solidified Natsuhiko's consciousness. And then he felt the warmth of life. His heart was filled with the thought that he was not alone. By his presence and her presence alone... Natsuhiko was able to push forward.

------
----

...Just how far had he walked? Suddenly--!

(!?)

He had gotten out of the pipe! Natsuhiko had been thrown out into the depths of Lake Rokumei.

(Ah!!)

At that moment, the oxygen respirator fell out of his mouth.

(Crap, I need to get to the shore quick! But which way is the shore!?)

Natsuhiko panicked at his disorientation, but-- --The hands he held hadn't slipped out of his grip. In the dark depths, he faintly saw an orange uniform. Watase swam to the surface, still holding onto Natsuhiko's left hand. Relieved, Natsuhiko held his other hand tight as well. His right hand, his connection to Yuuri. --How many times had he held that hand since he'd met her? This time, he would not let her go. As Natsuhiko swore upon that oath, he saw light streaming down from above.

(--...)

They then brought their faces up out from the water--

Pwhaaaahhhh!! Haah! Haah! Haah...!

Watase breathed furiously as he got out of the lake.

Haaah...!

Yuuri took off her oxygen respirator and spoke to the other two.

Hikorin, Captain Kasasagi... We're... outside, aren't we...? We made it outside, didn't we!?

Her eyes were wet with both the lake water and her tears...

...Yeah.
That's right, Yuuri...!

--Natsuhiko's and Watase's shouts of joy resounded in the night sky.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm suddenly reminded of that CG shot we've seen in intros of Watase pointing a gun at Natsuhiko with a full moon behind them. :ohdear:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of that CG shot we've seen in intros of Watase pointing a gun at Natsuhiko with a full moon behind them. :ohdear:

There's something that Natsuhiko might have forgotten about, but I'm sure Watase didn't forget about it...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PROMISE: 09/16/2030, 18:41

♪ BGM: Convergence

Everyone was exhausted and their bodies were battered beyond belief, but-- Regardless, all nine had safely escaped with their lives!

Natsuhiko thanked Watase.

I thought we were done for time and time again, but... thanks to you, we're all saved!

Watase looked away in embarrassment.

...I thought I told you that I don't deserve your gratitude.
No, let me express my gratitude too. Thank you, Captain Kasasagi. Thanks to your hard work, we're all really...

After seeing Yuuri get tearful again, Watase scratched his head.

Look, I really don't need your thanks. I'm just keeping my end of the deal, that's all!
Hahah, what're you being so bashful for?
That's not it at all, you brat.

Watase looked away and then softly spoke.

...We got out of there thanks to everyone's hard work. Everyone's minds became one those last ten minutes before the explosion. No... perhaps everyone's minds began to unify even before then. ... Thanks to your BC.
No, that's not it, Watase.

Natsuhiko firmly refuted Watase's statement.

All I did was use untargeted telepathy to tell everyone the 'truth'. And through that, sure, everyone came to know each other's feelings and began working for each other... But that can all be achieved even without using BC, can't it?
...You think so?
I do. I had no choice but to use that drastic measure because we had no time, but-- I'm sure that by spending time to really talk to each other, time and time again... any two people should be able to understand one another. Even without using BC.

Natsuhiko wished for that to be the case. Yuuri nodded.

I think so too, Captain Kasasagi. The nine of us had several conflicts of our own. But we resolved most of them without using BC, didn't we?
...True...
Right. Take Jun and Prof. Tsubakiyama for example.
Yeah. Those two bickered at first, but they stopped fighting before any of us knew it, didn't they?
They sure did.

The three survivors smiled at those words.

You and Mr. Ukita were the same way too, huh, Captain Kasasagi?
Now that you mention it, yeah. When Watase lost his memories, the two of them fought and doubted each other...
Well, if you're going to bring that up, it was the same with you and me, Yuuri. I was bugged the hell out at first because I didn't understand why you hated me so much.
Well that was all your fault, wasn't it?
That's right. You were really scary at first, you know?
M... my bad.
No, no, I've already forgiven you. Compared to the wounds everyone else incurred, a little strangling's no big deal.
Huh? Yuuri, you've gotten kinda strong, haven't you?
You think so? Definitely not as strong as you, though, Hikorin.

Everyone laughed again.

I don't know why, but I feel nostalgic... Somehow it all feels like an old story.
You're right... Everything happened in just nine hours, but I guess it's because we sort of peered through nine entire lifetimes.

After he said that, Natsuhiko suddenly remembered something. He had to contact Mashiro and the others in the rescue copter and have them come pick them up.

Oh right, gotta contact Mashiro and the others.
Telepathy's perfect for times like these.
Sure is. Guess super-long distance telepathy really proved to be useful in the end, huh?

Natsuhiko nodded and sent telepathy to Mashiro.

{Mashiro, can you hear me? We've escaped! We're at the shore of Lake Rokumei. Please pick us up with the helicopter if you can!}

--No response from Mashiro. They were probably outside of her effective telepathy range. But Natsuhiko was confident that his own telepathy had reached her.

Watase, I called the helicopter just now. We'll have nothing to worry about once we board. Let's escape to a safe place outside of Security Sector 6's reach.
...I see. So this really is the end, huh...

Watase looked towards LABO. A pillar of smoke billowed up. It was likely an aftereffect of the tetryl bomb. There was no doubt a huge commotion around LABO right now.

... We all got out alive, huh.
Yes, thanks to everyone's efforts.
So one ninth of that is thanks to you.
That's true...

Watase spoke with a depressed voice. Something about his tone was worrying.

...What's wrong, Watase? Do your wounds hurt?

Without answering Natsuhiko's question, Watase posed one of his own.

...Say, Natsuhiko, Yuuri. You remember what happened right after you erased my malice, right?
Huh...?

I'm talking about that promise we made.

The moment Watase said that, an abrupt coat of clouds covered the moon, casting his face in darkness.

I... I do remember it, but...
...What about it...?
Remember what I said?

Watase's voice caused Natsuhiko's heart to throb in pain.

'In exchange for helping everyone escape, once this incident is over, I'll bring Yuuri over to Q.' ...I kept my end of the bargain. So now...

As he spoke--

It's time for you to keep yours.

--Watase took the gun out of his pocket.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still not super seeing what the problem is with going with Q, their mission was to rescue Yuuri and expose LABO/Rokumei City and... they kinda did that, it's not like they're threatening to dissect her or something :saddowns: Plus she sorta doesn't have a home or a family anymore

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Danaru posted:

I'm still not super seeing what the problem is with going with Q, their mission was to rescue Yuuri and expose LABO/Rokumei City and... they kinda did that, it's not like they're threatening to dissect her or something :saddowns: Plus she sorta doesn't have a home or a family anymore

They're pretty extreme dicks, anti-Communicator twats, according to most sources at worst, and Yuuri would be paraded as the symbol of the oppression by LABO with minimal freedom at best. She'd probably be better off taking Ghost Yuuri's place but including going outside.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

Q isn't just attacking Rokumei City and LABO. They're attacking government secret cities in general, even those that are on the level and genuinely interested in making life better for Communicators.

Well, we're going to now be deciding who is right.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If they're on the level why are they hidden :mad:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

If they're on the level why are they hidden :mad:

Because the general public hates Communicators. The general public caused the Andresy Witch Hunt and all the other attacks on Communicators across the globe. People are (rightfully so to some degree) scared shitless about Communicators, and they aren't about to sit down with them over a cup of tea and discuss their differences.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PARTING: 09/16/2030, 18:46

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Wh... what kind of joke is this, Watase!?

Natsuhiko opened his eyes wide and shouted. Watase had his gun pointed at them. Natsuhiko couldn't believe his eyes.

We finally all made it out alive! What do you think you're doing!?

...Sorry, Natsuhiko. It's my mission. To bring Yuuri back to Q.

N... no way...!

Yuuri's voice cracked. Natsuhiko shouted furiously.

Watase!! Why are you so fixated on Q!? Your true nature isn't a terrorist at all, right!? You dedicated your life to saving people, didn't you!? So how... how can you say that!?
...That's exactly why I have to. In these nine hours, I came in touch with everyone's pasts. And little by little, I came to understand everyone. But... the more I confronted everyone's feelings, the more I came to harbor a certain thought.
A thought...?
A thought about how this city's gone mad beyond control. You think so too, don't you?
...!

They'll just rebuild a similar facility, reconstruct its systems, and keep this mad world turning. And the only one who can stop them is probably Q...
What!? What about Prof. Tsubakiyama and the ESP Bureau, or--
The ESP Bureau's inaction up until this point has allowed these tragedies to continue, hasn't it?
But if Q gets a Communicator on their side, it'll turn the situation about on its head. I'm sure they'll be able to bring the Rokumei City government and LABO's top brass to judgment. So, Yuuri-- Please join us in our fight.
What...? You really think she can do that!? If Yuuri went along with the likes of you, that'll make her a terrorist... a wanted criminal, you know!? She'd face countless dangers and become unable to return to this town! Even if it means breaking a promise, that is the one thing I cannot approve of!

Watase laughed dejectedly at those words.

...I knew you'd say that. But just so you know, Natsuhiko. I really can't pull back this time. Something's gotta be done. And someone's gotta do it. Or nothing will ever change.

His face was full of conviction. Q may have been a terrorist organization, but it did conduct its actions with a just cause. Watase chose to stick to those intentions even if it meant making enemies with Natsuhiko. But that dedication saddened Natsuhiko severely. He thought he had finally become allies with Watase, but it seemed they had a fundamental, irreconcilable difference at their cores.

But Watase... I really can't back down this time either. Even if you threaten me with a gun...
...I see... Of course... Then you leave me with no choice... If nothing will convince you to accept this deal...!

A bitter smile formed on Watase's face. Then he'll shoot!? As soon as Natsuhiko considered that thought-- Watase said something completely unexpected.

Then erase my memories, Natsuhiko.

Natsuhiko doubted his ears.

Wh... what did you just say?
I said erase all of my memories. The same way you did to protect Mashiro from me.
No... Don't be stupid, Watase! I've already erased your memories so many times! Your brain's surely sustained enough damage as it is! If I erase all your memories again-- It could seriously spell death for you this time, you know!? So how can you even suggest that...!?
Don't you get it, Natsuhiko...? My will and yours are mutually incompatible. If I don't take Yuuri with me, I can't complete my mission. But my will shall never change as long as I am me. So if that conflicts with your will, then just erase my will with your own hands. And then you two will be free.
...!

Once he heard those words, Natsuhiko finally understood Watase's sentiment.

There was no turning back for Watase.

But--

Watase... is there really no other way...!?
Maybe for you, there is... but at the very least, this is the route I chose. It's something I must do to fulfill my mission, even if it means staining my hands in sin, or turning my back to those precious to me.

Natsuhiko's heart throbbed in pain to hear Watase's bitter voice. It almost seemed as if Watase were pointing the gun at himself.

...So you need to choose too, Natsuhiko. This is the final choice. Whose opinion takes precedence here-- yours, or mine?

VOTING

I don't think I need to say much here. We have one more choice to make.

Pick Natsuhiko, take the risk of killing Watase, and leave dealing with LABO to somebody like the ESP Bureau. Q is too dangerous to consider entrusting with Yuuri, even if they might have a better chance at taking LABO down.

Pick Watase and live with Yuuri having to sacrifice her liberty once more. Q, as somebody outside of the entire crooked system LABO and Rokumei City have set up, is the only one we can believe in to defeat them, even if they're an anti-Communicator organization at heart.

Choose wisely.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pick Yuuri, so she can have a bloody say on a decision that will affect the rest of her life irreparably and irrevocably.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pick Yuuri, so she can have a bloody say on a decision that will affect the rest of her life irreparably and irrevocably.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Watasemania] never stops, brother!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Writers, give your female characters some agency of their own, please.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Terrorism: not even once.

Also we know what Yuuri would pick. She's a martyr and has repeatedly offered to go with Q if it'll save her precious Hikorin. So full speed ahead with Watase.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
If there's no magic BC ghost to tell us the right decision again, I choose Watase

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Watase of course :colbert:

TheMcD posted:

Let's make a deal, Captain Kasasagi.
A deal?
Yes. Once this incident is over-- I'll entrust myself to your care.
What!?
Hand me over to Q or whatever you please. But in return, cooperate to make sure everyone escapes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Just putting this here, because it also seems relevant.

TheMcD posted:

How... how can you be so nice to me...?
Huh...?
Even though it's my fault you've wasted nine years of your life... You never held a grudge, you never complained, and even today, you worked hard to save me... Why? How can you go so far to do all that for someone like me...? Why can't you put more value in yourself...!?

Yuuri calmly answered.

...Hikorin, you see... I thought I would be trapped in here for my entire life. So I thought it'd be for the best if you forgot about me and lived a happy life with Mashiron... That's what I believed. That's really all there is to it.

Yuuri gave a lonely smile. As if she had given up on something she had long thought to be precious-- When he saw that look on her face, Natsuhiko understood her feelings.

(I see... Yuuri... had given up. To survive her hopeless days, she gave up every hope of her own future...!)

But-- that was not something that a normal person could withstand. In her heart of hearts, Yuuri must have wanted to be saved.

(... After all, she did ask me to save her. She asked me, and not anyone else.)

And she had appeared before him and made him look into his own mind. She may not have realized it herself, but there was perhaps a slight gap in her reasoning. But Natsuhiko couldn't overlook that.

(Others might overlook it, but there's no way I could...!)

Natsuhiko wiped his tears and gazed at Yuuri.

...Say, Yuuri. Do you think lost time can be recovered...?
Th-that's... That's impossible... Even if you change memories, you can't change the truth.

--That was an obvious answer. But not one Natsuhiko could approve of.

...No, even so, I'll still do it.
Huh?
I swear I'll recover the time you've lost. You say you'll spend the rest of your life imprisoned in this place? That's ridiculous. That can't be allowed to stand. I swear I'll free you even if it costs me my life.
Even if it costs you your life!? No...! If you die, then what will I have spent all those nine years trying to save you for!?
Please, allow me to do at least that... I really enjoyed meeting you and spending all that time with you up until today. If you're telling me that it was all a lie, then I'll just turn that lie into the truth...! If you say you were a phantom, then I'll change you into reality!

That was the one thing he could do for Yuuri. The only way he could repay her for protecting her all these nine years--

Let's escape from this facility alive, Yuuri. Because I'm sure that's what you really want.
...!

Yuuri's eyes widened. But eventually, her surprise was painted over with the colors of joy and relief.

...Yes.

That one word signified the sentiment she had looked away in her heart for nine years-- her hope for freedom.

TheMcD posted:

...There are times where one must harden one's heart to protect the people one holds dear. Both Ukita and I share in that thought-- but what about you?
I... I...!
Answer me. What is it that you want to do?
I--!

But right before Natsuhiko could answer that question, Yuuri's voice echoed in his head.

Y-Yuuri...!

Natsuhiko then turned his questions to her.

...Why not? She hit the nail right on the head, don't you think...?
{Huh...!?}
As things stand now, you won't be free even if you escape LABO, right? Watase will take you away and bring you to Q... You'll probably be faced with all sorts of danger when that happens. What's more, you can't go home either, naturally. So let me ask you again: are you really okay with that?
{...}
...Of course you're not. You want to be free and go home with me, right?
{... Yes.}
I'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. I'll do anything for you. So-- please don't stop me from what I'm about to do. Okay...?

When she heard that, Yuuri-- Finally answered after a long silence.

{... You're... right... You're right, Hikorin. I've been wrong this whole time... I thought I would be okay with whatever misery I faced so long as everyone else was happy... But... that was all a total lie... I've actually wanted to be just as happy as anyone else all these years. Yet I...!}
It's okay, I understand. So to protect your happiness-- I'm going to fight Watase. Just like Mr. Ukita did.
{... Thank you, Hikorin.}

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 1, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just putting THIS here, because it also seems relevant.

TheMcD posted:

We'll also pay you 25 bucks an hour. Plus dental coverage.
Oh really?
We also have Patches, the Communicator Ha... Tolerating Cat
Hikorin! A kitty!
Wow, it sure does sound like siding with Q is objectively the correct choice!

This message brought to you by the Q Public Relations office

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Watase because why not?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Unfortunately for you Natsuhiko, this time THE WATASEMANIA cannot be stopped!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd just like to formally establish that letting Yuuri decide is not an option. If we try to give the game an indecisive answer, it just takes that as favoring Natsuhiko.

Now, here's what I think about Yuuri: There are two questions you can ask about her.

1) "What would Yuuri do if we asked her 'what do you want'?"
2) "What does Yuuri actually want?"

I would say that based on the snippets that I posted, Yuuri wants to be free. However, she would never admit it in this situation. If Natsuhiko were to ask her, she would simply go along with Watase, spend the rest of her short life imprisoned by a group that hates her and only uses her as a means to an end, and delude herself that everything is alright with that because everybody got out safe from LABO.

So personally, I'd weight your votes as votes for Watase. Which doesn't help the current imbalance. I'd have hoped at least somebody would pick Natsuhiko. I would have, anyway. I wouldn't trust Q as far as I could throw them, and I'm out of shape, so that's not far. They're an extremist terrorist organization that stokes the fears of the general population. They claim that they only want an open conversation regarding Communicators, but their open conversation is between people that don't want to murder all Communicators because they're scary mindreaders (the government secret cities and very tolerant individuals) and those that do want to murder all Communicators because they're scary mindreaders (the rest of the people), and they figure that since the latter outnumber the former, that makes what should be done to Communicators pretty clear, right?

Q blows up an entire compound just for the sake of causing a distraction, and if the PRC wasn't just a shell and had an actual large amount of people working in it, they'd have blown it up just the same.

TheMcD posted:

Q: Naturally, you mustn't tell anyone else about the plan over the course of the next year, to say the least of opening your heart to anyone. Rokumei City is full of countless Communicators. If you open your heart to someone, they might read your mind and find out all about the plan. All Communicators are not like us-- they're monsters with strange powers. The now deceased Subject A wasn't the exception. She was the standard. Think of all Communicators as abominations. Think of Rokumei City as a city full of monsters. We must put an end to this abnormal town's history. You may find that to be a rather extreme mindset, but unless you take precise caution, our flawless plan will come crashing down. Bear all of that in mind as you wait for the day of reckoning. The day where the truth shall be brought to light and 118 lost souls shall at last rest in peace--

EDIT: Oh, right, and Q would also almost assuredly reveal Senses Sympathy to the world. I'm sure it'll go over well that the world learns that Communicators are capable of manipulating memories without you noticing it and even killing you through this manipulation. That wouldn't lead to witch hunts across the globe at all.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 1, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Yeah, I'mma go with Nats here to buck the trend.

Watasemania is no longer running wild. :colbert:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'd technically argue that 'let Yuuri decide' is a vote for Natsuhiko, given that his is the only one of the two options that actually gives Yuuri any choice.

I've also made my feelings clear on Q, so no need for me to beat that horse again.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I really hope we're not hitting the end of the game here because it feels like one hell of an anticlimax.

Anyway uhhh... Watase I guess. I don't like either of these choices.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ultimately I have to side with Watase here.

Because otherwise Natsuhiko will become someone who erases someone's memory when it's convenient, and that's no way to live.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

BenRGamer posted:

Yeah, I'mma go with Nats here to buck the trend.

Watasemania is no longer running wild. :colbert:

Still willing to bet that there's a secret ending where you favor both, though, too. :colbert:

Game's done that twice in a row now.

Gotta go for the hat trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

In other circumstances, I would happily support Watasemania, dude, but now that he's rejoining the Q World Order I find myself siding more strongly with Natsuhiko. At least the government is theoretically nominally accountable when it does horrific poo poo; Q just lusts for esper death, and drat the consequences.

• Locked thread