Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Of course. There's even evidence that the gut microbiome can affect mood and behavior. There's just enough science to add a veneer of respectability.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Theranos but for shi...uhhh, I mean, but for weight-loss."

Juicero got 100 million from Google Ventures, I'm sure you could at least match that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Randler posted:

Once upon a time, there was a young man in Germany who was registered on Facebook. One day this young man wanted to check his Facebook only to see that his account had been deactivated by Facebook. He was surprised and sent an e-mail to Facebook's support. They told him, they had nothing to say to him, because for reasons of security they do not give details on why they block accounts.

But the young man was German so he went forth and visited his lawyer. The lawyer drew up a lawsuit that requested 1) re-activation of the young man's facebook account, 2) payment of the lawyer's fees as damages. Now obviously the lawsuit was drafted in German, because English is the language of the common law world and no righteous German lawyer would ever want to be associated with the depressing spectactle that is Anglo-American common law. [1]

Now the lawyer sent the lawsuit to the court and the court sent it to Facebook, by which I mean Facebook Ireland Ltd., an Irish company having its head office in Ireland. [2] At this point in time, the lawsuit is still entirely in German, except for the word Facebook itself, which as a proper noun got not translated in the more apt German Gesichtsbratzenundkatzenbuch. The court also included a note with the day of the trial.

On the day of the trial the young man and his lawyer appeared, but Facebook was nowhere to be seen. Before the court date they only send somebody without power of attorney who wrote things about the serving of process. "Well, now, this has been a waste of time", thinks the young men, but the lawyer could allay his fears. "Worry not, young man! In Germany, if you do not show up on your civil court date you will just lose the case pursuant to the rules of the Versäumnisurteil[3]." The judge nodded his head, "Your lawyer speaks truly. There are some formalities, especially a valid serving of process to the other party, but that all seems to be in order here, so I'll grant you your requests!"

Because our story plays in Germany, the verdict comes with reasons which include counterarguments to what Facebook said.

Facebook said, "We have not been served! We have not been served!" and slowly turned into a corncob. According to sources speaking corn, Facebook pointed out that intra-EU serving of process have to be performed in a language that the recipient understands or that is the official language of the country the recipient resides. "Corn Corn Corn (Our legal department in Ireland does not speak German and nor does our board of directors."), they said.

To which the German judge said:

:frogout:

Your Terms of Service are in German.

Your Privacy policy is in German.

Your Cookie policy is in German.

You have over 20 million customers in Germany.

You did not even stipulate that all communications with regard to the Facebook-customer relation are to be conducted in non-German.

Your customer service responded to the German young man in German.

So, yeah, no. You don't get to claim Facebook Ireland Ltd. does not speak German. :colbert:

And thus Facebook lost the case but reportedly tried has already filed thet applicable appeal. But the summary judgement is still existing and it can theoretically be exceuted if need be. :kheldragar:

Oh, also, if they no-show again, they lose and don't get to appeal again.

Further reading:

[1]
[2] Yes, you have to specify that due to EU freedoms. You can have Dutch N.V. sitting in London nowadays.
[3] ~ "summary judgement" [4] https://www.berlin.de/gerichte/presse/pressemitteilungen-der-ordentlichen-gerichtsbarkeit/2017/pressemitteilung.581603.php German pressrelease and download of verdict

I love you, Randler

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JohnCarreyrou/status/869542319422418944

:waycool:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://twitter.com/max_read/status/869532785551310849

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ars Technica has an overview of the WSJ article that isn't paywalled.

quote:

When former US Secretary of State George Shultz underwent a Theranos blood test, it involved a standard vein draw—not the company’s proprietary finger prick blood collection. Though at the time Theranos claimed to only use its proprietary testing, the discrepancy didn’t bother Shultz, then a member of the company’s board of directors. In fact, according to newly unsealed court documents reported by The Wall Street Journal, he continued to believe that the company could and did use its own technology for all blood testing.

“There would be some, you know, excuse about why they needed to take a venous draw for him, but you know, for everyone else it was a finger prick. And, he continued to buy into that,” Shultz’s grandson, Tyler, a former Theranos employee and whistleblower, testified.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
In the latest Waymo lawsuit drama new, Uber has fired Anthony Levandowski:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/30/technology/uber-anthony-levandowski.html?_r=1

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Uber has fired Anthony Levandowski, a vice president of technology and the star engineer leading the company’s self-driving automobile efforts, according to an internal email sent to employees on Tuesday.

Mr. Levandowski’s termination, effective immediately, comes as a result of his involvement in a legal battle between Uber and Waymo, the self-driving technology unit spun out of Google last year. Waymo claims that Uber is using trade secrets stolen from Google to develop Uber’s self-driving vehicles, a plan aided by Mr. Levandowski, a former longtime Google employee.

Uber has long denied the accusations. But when Mr. Levandowski was ordered by a federal judge to hand over evidence and testimony to that end, he asserted his Fifth Amendment rights, seeking to avoid possible criminal charges, according to his lawyers. Uber has been unable to convince Mr. Levandowski to cooperate.

“Over the last few months Uber has provided significant evidence to the court to demonstrate that our self-driving technology has been built independently,” Angela Padilla, Uber’s associate general counsel for employment and litigation, wrote in an email to employees. “Over that same period, Uber has urged Anthony to fully cooperate in helping the court get to the facts and ultimately helping to prove our case.”

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It would be wonderful if Uber was undone by somebody taking their 'it's not illegal if you get away with it' philosophy too much to heart.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Guess who's birthday it is?

That's right, thread mascot Marissa Mayer! :toot:

https://twitter.com/marissamayer/status/869612334297210881

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Surprised there are enough Yahoo employees left to blow up all those balloons.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

They're paid in Alibaba stocks.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Goat rentals on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Hire-a-Goat-Grazer/dp/B00UBYDXXQ
Not sure this is the appropriate thread for this but not sure it isn't.

Edit: Whoopsie daisy, was trying to find the retail thread.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 31, 2017

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
The fall of unicorns: The rental of goats

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
speaking of germany and facebook (loved the post btw Randler)
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/dead-girl-s-parents-blocked-from-accessing-her-facebook-account-1.3102731

quote:

Facebook was correct to block, on data protection grounds, a German woman’s access to the account of her dead daughter, a Berlin court has ruled.
Five years ago a Berlin couple learned that their 15-year-old daughter died after being struck by an underground train in the German capital.
Although police closed the case as a suicide, the couple demanded the US social media company grant them access to their daughter’s account in a hunt for clues to her death.
In particular they were anxious to find out if, on the basis of her Facebook posts and chat exchanges, they could deduce whether she had been bullied or had been depressed.
After a friend of the girl informed Facebook of her death, however, the company froze the account in “memoriam” mode, blocking access and any new posts.
Although the daughter had given her mother her log-in details when she was 14, Facebook refused the mother’s request to unlock the account. The company argued that to do so would breach data protection rules and the right to privacy of third parties who chatted with their daughter on the assumption that their communications would remain private.
The woman sued Facebook and, in 2015, a Berlin court ruled in her favour. The daughter’s Facebook profile, the court argued then, came into the same category as diaries and letters, all of which were now the property of her parents.
Facebook appealed this ruling and, on Wednesday, Berlin district court ruled in the company’s favour.

‘Digital inheritance’

The high-profile German ruling, overturning the lower court’s decision, raises fresh questions about a contested issue: the rights of families and partners of the deceased to manage their loved ones’ “digital inheritance”.
“Everything is wide open, it is very interesting,” said Matthias Rösler, president of the German Inheritance Forum, to Spiegel Online.
Since the Berlin woman died in 2012, Facebook has made some changes to its “in memoriam” feature, which allows friends post public tributes and farewell messages.
Now it is possible for Facebook users during their lifetime to grant a third party – a family member or friend – access to their account after their death. But this third party’s rights are limited: they can change the profile photo or react to friend requests, but they still cannot read old chat exchanges – the issue at stake in the Berlin court case.
In their ruling on Wednesday the Berlin district court judges had to weigh up inheritance laws from 1900 and the rights of parents towards minor children, against postwar telecommunications privacy and more recent data protection law.
In their ruling the judges said that, while the contract agreed between Facebook and a user holds for that user’s heirs, regulations governing privacy and telecommunications of third persons carried a higher weight before the law.
This is not the last word on the matter, however, with the parents of the dead girl considering a final appeal to Germany’s federal court in Karlsruhe.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Somewhere, forums user VendaGoat is sulking about IP theft.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That's weird. I mean, it might be for the best, but it seems weird.

If you send me letters, and I die, wouldn't you expect the post office to deliver them to my next of kin?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you send me letters, and I die, wouldn't you expect the post office to deliver them to my next of kin?

Chatlogs are a bit different to letters though. They're more comparable to having an in-person conversation in their casualness (and expectation to be recorded, for most people).

If I have a conversation with someone while they're alive I'm not going to censor what I say under the expectation that 5 years later their parents will be reading it - I'm going to assume the person in the conversation is the only one whos going to be reading it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Doc Hawkins posted:

I have not read the verdict yet, but according to the official press release it is a secrecy of correspondence issue.

Everything else aside (and there is a lot of other legal problems touched upon in the press release), it would be a breach o the constitutionally guaranteed secrecy of correspondence because you'd grant a third party access to correspondence that is still covered by secrecy of correspondence.

With regards to letter it might be a different thing, due to differences in how the secrey of letters for physical objects works compared to the secrecy of correspondence to electronically transmitted communications. But I can't speak on secrecy of letters vs. possible inheritance claims with authority.

Also, this can still go to a higher court and thinks might change from 2018 or whenver else the new EU privacy regulation comes into force.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uber: when it rains, it pours

quote:

In summer 2015, about a year after Uber launched its Pool ride-sharing service, the company was betting big on it. In order to beat out Lyft and cement its ride-hail supremacy, Uber needed to get droves of riders and drivers into Pool — and fast.

To do that, a trove of internal documents shows, Uber burned vast sums of money to subsidize Pool’s growth — sometimes well over $1 million a week in San Francisco alone.

“We were bleeding cash subsidizing rides and we didn’t have a plan for tomorrow,” a former Uber employee told BuzzFeed News. “Everybody was just trying to put a Band-Aid on this problem.”

But when Uber cut the heavy discounts, ridership tanked. Sixty-three percent of riders moved on to cheaper alternatives, according to internal Uber data, and 26% migrated to archrival Lyft’s Line. Uber was, as a November 2015 internal presentation somberly concluded, “Losing SF.”

Uber — which at that point had expanded to more than 50 countries and had a rumored valuation of $50 billion — was ascendant. But it was struggling to attract riders to Pool, a service it considered crucial to the company’s future. Uber’s struggle to make Pool viable in San Francisco offers a case study of the ride-hail juggernaut’s burn-now-and-figure-it-out-later corporate ethos at a moment when it is still struggling to pinpoint a sustainable business model. Uber reportedly lost $2.8 billion in 2016, and at least $2 billion in 2015.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

According to leaked documents, back in 2015 Uber was burning over $1 million a week to subsidize their Uber Pool service in an attempt to prevent users from switching to Lyft in San Francisco.

EDIT: At least my post has a picture. :colbert:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

But wait, there's more!

Uber’s head of finance has left the company

quote:

Gupta will be the third executive to either step down or be fired from the company just this week. On Monday, both the company’s New York General Manager Josh Mohrer and one of the top self-driving engineers Anthony Levandowski left the company — under completely different circumstances. While Mohrer was leaving to pursue a role at Tusk Ventures, Levandowski was fired for not cooperating with the lawsuit Alphabet has brought against it.

The three now former Uber staffers will join other top executives who’ve left in the past few months. There was its vice president of product Ed Baker, the president of the company Jeff Jones, the vice president of engineering Amit Singhal, the head of the policy and communications team Rachel Whetstone, the head of mapping Brian McClendon and other top self-driving engineers like Raffi Krikorian.

That will likely continue as the company prepares for Eric Holder and Tammy Albaran to produce the results of the investigation they conducted into former Uber engineer Susan Fowler’s claims of sexism and sexual harassment at the company. Sources say some engineers in the self-driving department — which has already lost at least a dozen of its top staffers in the last few months — have begun looking for outside opportunities. Most recently, some Levandowski loyalists have become angered by his firing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If Uber needed to burn cash on subsidies to compete with Lyft, how exactly was Lyft delivering rides so much cheaper?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How the gently caress do they not know that loss-leading your main product is a terrible strategy if you ever want to raise the price?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Klyith posted:

If Uber needed to burn cash on subsidies to compete with Lyft, how exactly was Lyft delivering rides so much cheaper?

Lyft is setting money on fire too, and as far as their core business is concerned their margins are probably worse because their network is smaller. On the other hand they probably light less money on fire in R&D/China/international markets than Uber, so they've at least got that going for them.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Klyith posted:

uber (sort of) makes money in it's core markets like san francisco, new york, chicago, los angeles, toronto...

lyft competes in these markets at about the same price and offers about the same service

uber burns billions trying to expand/compete in markets where it's less clear it can be profitable (like china, india, eastern europe, south east asia, south america...)

lyft is only burning millions trying to expand/compete in a far smaller number of markets

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
uber also has a bunch of dumb assed extensions like uber pool, uber freight, the self driving car program collapsing on itself (why? what purpose does this serve other than fooling more investors into giving you their money?)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

boner confessor posted:

uber also has a bunch of dumb assed extensions like uber pool, uber freight, the self driving car program collapsing on itself (why? what purpose does this serve other than fooling more investors into giving you their money?)

Which executives skim.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

They were trying not only to compete with Lyft but hopefully drive them out of business before they established any foothold. Given Lyft was also playing "burn to grow" games with their capital, Uber apparently decided they were going to burn even more in hopes of effectively loss-leading the competitors off the field entirely.

I will gladly clap and laugh at both companies as they loss-lead themselves straight off the map. Stupid loving sharing-economy bullshit...

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

boner confessor posted:

Uber Pool, Uber Eats, etc are actually pretty sensible extensions if you view a lot of the value of Uber as being derived from the network and think about how that can be leveraged (I've also heard from some Uber employees that Uber Eats in particular has ridiculously high margins). Some of the other ones feel like complete boondoggles that are pretty far detached from their core business though.

Sundae posted:

I will gladly clap and laugh at both companies as they loss-lead themselves straight off the map. Stupid loving sharing-economy bullshit...

Actually I'd prefer to continue having my non-car-owning lifestyle heavily subsidized by VCs and large institutional investors, thank you very much.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

...I'm trying to get a job at Yahoo. Hopefully they'll have one more next year.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why??

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Feel this probably appeared in the thread already, but:

https://backchannel.com/how-the-trendiest-grilled-cheese-venture-got-burnt-aa627b0c7ae1

quote:

The Melt had cash, technology, and some of Silicon Valley’s finest minds — yet it failed to disrupt the humble sandwich.

After a few warm-up questions from his interviewers, Kaplan revealed the cutting-edge creation he was poised to unleash: grilled cheese sandwiches. Five different kinds of them, in fact. Featuring not only cheddar, but also fontina, gruyere, and jalapeño jack.

Forget Mars colonies and AI. Kaplan declared he had “developed a set of technology that allows us to make the perfect grilled cheese.” The innovation was as meaningful as it was miraculous: the sandwich had “that nostalgic thing,” Kaplan explained. Grilled cheese sandwiches were the fast food equivalent of Proust’s madeleines, priming them for disruption.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There are so many great quotes in this article:

“I didn’t know anything about the video camera ten years ago,” he boasted in a 2011 interview with Forbes, “and I don’t know that much about grilled cheese sandwiches or soup.”

“I think if you’re looking for the angle of, like, what went wrong, I would say that nothing went wrong,” Kaplan told me when we last spoke. “But what we did learn is that the quality of the food is the most important reason why someone comes to a restaurant.”

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Did the accusations that Uber has been charging customers at a higher rate than what drivers are told (and then pocketing the difference) ever come to anything? Because that just sounds like fraud.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

That's an interesting choice (and may even have people raising their eyebrows at your resume once you move on from Yahoo, to be honest).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

super sweet best pal posted:

So do you mean you're lookin to work at Verizon or you're looking to work at the remaining shell company that holds Yahoo debt and alibaba shares?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How the hell is Yahoo stock back at pre-Alibaba IPO valuation. :psyduck:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sundae posted:

They were trying not only to compete with Lyft but hopefully drive them out of business before they established any foothold.

Even if they accomplished that, I don't see how it works after Lyft leaves SF. They're going to have to raise prices eventually and once they do another startup will emerge with lower prices and all the assholes in the Bay Area will happily change apps.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, Uber's plan is to lose so much money that other people cannot keep up with them in shoveling money hand over fist into a fire so that they can gain a monopoly.

Do I have this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell is Yahoo stock back at pre-Alibaba IPO valuation. :psyduck:

Well now we know that most of Yahoo is to be sold to Verizon at a guaranteed price, and then the remaining yahoo stock should mostly end up being a proxy for holding Alibaba investment as "Altaba Inc". So it makes sense that some value has been gained back in the stock now that it's clear exactly what it'll get you as an investor.

Night10194 posted:

So, Uber's plan is to lose so much money that other people cannot keep up with them in shoveling money hand over fist into a fire so that they can gain a monopoly.

Do I have this right?

To meet their current valuations, they need to do this until they gain a monopoly over basically all land transport globally, so keep that in mind too.