Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bushiz posted:

Further, here is Mike Cernovich hyperextending the everloving gently caress out of his back as he deadlifts, charitably, 220lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDCxj39giE

A quick google search will show you that a 5 rep deadlift of 220 pounds roughly translates into a one-rep max of 250 pounds, which at his professed height and weight of 6' and 180lbs, slots him firmly in between "untrained" and "novice" strength levels according to most charts. Additionally, that weird barbell he's using is called a hex bar, and typically allows you to deadlift about 20-30 more pounds than you would using a standard barbell. It cannot be expressed how much these people are cosplaying masculinity.

the title of this video is Alpha Male Body Language Exercises

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol my g/f deadlifts more and she is 5'0"

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I thought medieval tunics were standard workout gear.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
There's so much to unpack in all of these. Deadlifting with a trap bar. Deadlifting 220. The insane posture. the insane pose at the end. The pirates of the Caribbean shirt. The way the camera kind of follows the woman that walks past. "Alpha Male Body Language Exercises". It's all just so loving weird.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

I think the idea is that he's doing exercizes that will make him look more like a peacocking gorilla

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
the alt right skips leg day

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Montasque posted:

the alt right skips leg day

in those pictures his legs look okay, tbh he just looks like a kinda not too out of shape dude who is pretending his mass is muscle when he's just kinda barrel chested.
Could just be the unflattering peasant tunic and pants that conceal chicken legs/he gets skinny at the knees or whatever tho.

I guess I'm just framing it against the dudes I know who juiced hardcore and only worked on vanity muscles. Especially one who was probably 4 inches shorter than Mike (if he's really 6'0) and totally went ham on his arms, shoulders and pecs, but then had legs skinnier than mine while having 30+ lean pounds on me. It's kinda like the synthol poo poo. like lol nobody is gonna buy you're just really dedicated to health and fitness when you got giant traps but your calves look like your wrist or forearm at best.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

world of warcraft has a text-scrambling system so that opposite sides can't speak to each other.

'lol' gets transliterated from orcish as 'kek' when viewed by alliance members

'lol' became 'lel' on the chans, possibly as fusion with that weird meme of referring to nouns with the french 'le' ('le me went to the anime store and bought a new sex doll')

'lel' becomes 'kek' because WoW was huge with shut-ins until like 2010 or so. Still is? Don't know.

I hate that I know this.

even more lame than I had ever fathomed

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bushiz posted:

Further, here is Mike Cernovich hyperextending the everloving gently caress out of his back as he deadlifts, charitably, 220lbs.

How does anybody take this guy seriously? Like does he have real followers or does everyone like him ironically? Who goes to the gym in a pirate tunic?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Podcast here on punching Nazis from someone I like

http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/46266

Just starting to listen so that's all for now but I'm posting about it anyways lmao

I don't play by your rules!

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Jun 1, 2017

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

How does anybody take this guy seriously? Like does he have real followers or does everyone like him ironically? Who goes to the gym in a pirate tunic?

there's been a major subculture of grift designed to extract money from lonely pathetic dudes (PUA poo poo, MRA poo poo, etc) and now all the dudes who were just running a scam but didn't actually believe it have been chased off by the dudes dumb enough to get rooked by them

kind of like the GOP/right-wing media grift machine but in the span of a decade instead of a generation

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Bushiz posted:

I have a lot of words I need to edit about the idea of "consumptive masculinity", or the idea that 'manliness' is something you can buy, according to these people, and not a set of skills you develop(in the traditional idea of masculinity).

It's weird & depressing. I have a close personal friend who's gone a bit alt-right. I constantly hear him talking about like, getting into Whisky because it's "manly". He can't just be into any whisky, either; it's got to be cool enough to make it manly. There's this weird consumerist aspect to a lot of things in his life that I don't get. Like, he'll buy a fancy kind of jeans because they're the fancy kind, not because he thinks they look cool. It just boggles my mind. You should get into whisky if you like whisky. He's got this weird bullshit standard of masculinity that he's built up in his mind that he can never measure up to. It poisons his relationships with women, too.

I want to point out that he is not stupid, and he's not a "failson" or whatever. I've known him my whole life, and he can quickly learn pretty much anything he wants to. He was at the top of his class through high school and college and is in his medical residency; he's in shape, he's got a girlfriend and hobbies and etc. etc. But in his mind he never measures up to this bullshit fake masculinity. If he could take a step back and look at himself from the outside, he's doing 'better' than like 95% of the people I know.

But I know one thing he doesn't: whatever I drink is manly because I, a man, am drinking it. Sometimes I drink fancy bourbon neat; sometimes I drink cheap scotch; sometimes I drink gin old-lady style with tons of blackberries and limes and a little paper umbrella. If someone thinks I'm less of a man because of it they're a little baby who can :getout:

I don't know how you fix it. It makes me sad to see my close friend being taken away from 4chan internet bullshit.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cernovich has also been kind of left behind because he wasn't really willing to ride the wave of going Full Nazi. Not out of any kind of principles, but because he wasn't clever enough to adapt his brand past the Red Pill and into the Pepes well enough, he tried tho. He's essentially the saddest clown among the alt right figures that were ever remotely relevant.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

If you are not a man then you are a woman and thats bad ok.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm glad that cernovich somehow openly shows that he is in fact, a complete failure at the one thing he bases his entire identity on

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Speaking of alt-right trying to look badass and failing it was funny on Milo's comeback stream how he walked down the stairs with a large snake draped over his shoulders while the handler in his zoo uniform stood five feet away at all times.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DeepDickPizza posted:

I thought medieval tunics were standard workout gear.

haha, he does look like he should toiling in the barley fields.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

logikv9 posted:

I'm glad that cernovich somehow openly shows that he is in fact, a complete failure at the one thing he bases his entire identity on

lol of course he's a complete failure, have you heard his voice? Mike Tyson can get away with that voice but not Mike Cernovich.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Homeless Friend posted:

lol of course he's a complete failure, have you heard his voice? Mike Tyson can get away with that voice but not Mike Cernovich.

weak legs, eyes too close together, C U C K voice, and also he can't grill

sad

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Eela6 posted:

But I know one thing he doesn't: whatever I drink is manly because I, a man, am drinking it. Sometimes I drink fancy bourbon neat; sometimes I drink cheap scotch; sometimes I drink gin old-lady style with tons of blackberries and limes and a little paper umbrella. If someone thinks I'm less of a man because of it they're a little baby who can :getout:

The manliest drink is steel reserve or mickey's, with the possible inclusion of old english

e: true manliness is getting wasted on a budget

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The manliest drink is steel reserve or mickey's, with the possible inclusion of old english

e: true manliness is getting wasted on a budget

I enjoy all three. Steel reserve is a distant third IMO. Mickeys is a fine malt liquour; it says so right on the bottle.

Ed: though if you're trying to get wasted on a budget liquour is going to beat beer or malt liquor every time, and you'll win on quality.

Eela6 has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jun 1, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Real men actually prepare what they consume; so if you aren't distilling your own moonshine, do the honorable thing and castrate yourself.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Real men actually prepare what they consume; so if you aren't distilling your own moonshine, do the honorable thing and castrate yourself.

castration is the most manly possible act because it frees you from worrying about :females:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

castration is the most manly possible act because it frees you from worrying about :females:

:wrong:

Struggle is the essense of masculinity; you need to be tempted into spilling your seed to be a man. Castrating yourself is a sign that you don't have the mindset to be a nofap, volcel alpha.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Gonna cut my dick off to piss off women and liberals

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Cernovich has also been kind of left behind because he wasn't really willing to ride the wave of going Full Nazi. Not out of any kind of principles, but because he wasn't clever enough to adapt his brand past the Red Pill and into the Pepes well enough, he tried tho. He's essentially the saddest clown among the alt right figures that were ever remotely relevant.

he'll be okay though because his ex-wife will keep paying him alimony

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmao alex jones stole it from cernovich :vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58G8rWZXcOw

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

I honestly expected his voice to be deeper

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

The Narrator posted:

Gonna cut my dick off to piss off women and liberals

it's only manly if you do it by a thousand papercuts.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Bushiz posted:

A quick google search will show you that a 5 rep deadlift of 220 pounds roughly translates into a one-rep max of 250 pounds, which at his professed height and weight of 6' and 180lbs, slots him firmly in between "untrained" and "novice" strength levels according to most charts. Additionally, that weird barbell he's using is called a hex bar, and typically allows you to deadlift about 20-30 more pounds than you would using a standard barbell. It cannot be expressed how much these people are cosplaying masculinity.

This is actually being generous, I can do like 100lbs more on the hex bar like that compared to conventional deads since the ROM is pretty short with those elevated handles. Usually if I use a hex bar I would flip it over and grab the other side of the bar to give it a more complete ROM.

The yellow plate is probably a 15kg plate so I'm guessing that's 200lbs.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Jun 1, 2017

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I haven't lifted regularly in probably a year, and I'm in way worse shape, and I did a better lift this morning on a non-cucked bar for at least 40 more pounds. What a sissy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MaxxBot posted:

This is actually being generous, I can do like 100lbs more on the hex bar like that compared to conventional deads since the ROM is pretty short with those elevated handles. Usually if I use a hex bar I would flip it over and grab the other side of the bar to give it a more complete ROM.

totes
he's just a barrel chested dude right at that phase where you can pretend fat isn't all fat and kinda be believable with the right posture and sucking in your gut.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MaxxBot posted:

The only hex bar I've used didn't have elevated handles, so yeah probably. I was giving 55*2+33*2+45 for the bar for a total of 221. I'm pretty sure those are 55s on there, at least.

Coolness Averted posted:

totes
he's just a barrel chested dude right at that phase where you can pretend fat isn't all fat and kinda be believable with the right posture and sucking in your gut.

this is one thousand percent true because I spent a pathetic amount of time trying to find a shirtless picture of him, and can't find any. No man who looks good without a shirt on won't be very public about looking good without a shirt on.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

[Playing charades and my answer is "Performative Masculinity"] gee, drat this is tricky how do i- *genius strikes*

Bushiz posted:

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao god bless you for posting this

world charades champion 2 years in a row. :grin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wtf is he doing with his back

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jose posted:

wtf is he doing with his back

Damage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i still can't get over his voice

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why has he tucked whatever the gently caress it is he's wearing into his pants? so many questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

first thought