Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

When I am doing something like that, for instance chicken soup with egg noodles, I just add the noodles in at the end, after everything else has cooked, the residual heat is enough to cook the noodles.

Use the sauté mode on high to boil liquid if you need to cook pasta. Egg noodles are fine with residual heat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking to cook spareribs on the grill, but I can't monopolize the grill for hours while I slow cook them.

Would my best bet be to half-cook them in the oven, then just throw them on the grill for 10 minutes or so at the end? How would I do this?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm throwing a party in July and would love to grill for it, but I don't have one. Anyone have recomendations on cheap-o grills, if it matters at all? I have propane tanks around for homebrewing but assume I would be going with charcoal here for both grill cost and flavor reasons.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking to cook spareribs on the grill, but I can't monopolize the grill for hours while I slow cook them.

Would my best bet be to half-cook them in the oven, then just throw them on the grill for 10 minutes or so at the end? How would I do this?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-ribs-incredible-barbecue-no-smoker-required

follow this. if you don't have a circulator you can just pouch the ribs in foil and roast in an oven for 3-4 hours at 225. Depends on how the bone looks relative to the meat, you should be able to feel the meat starting to give/be tender, but not be "fall off the bone".

aside: I never understood the "the ribs were falling off the bone" metric of "good bbq". Anyone can cook the living poo poo out of ribs until they fall off the bone, the art is in cooking them to where they are tender but hold on to the bone long enough for you to bite into it and still have a skosh of meaty texture.

nesbit37 posted:

I'm throwing a party in July and would love to grill for it, but I don't have one. Anyone have recomendations on cheap-o grills, if it matters at all? I have propane tanks around for homebrewing but assume I would be going with charcoal here for both grill cost and flavor reasons.

for quick grilling gas vs charcoal doesn't really matter that much as long as your gas grill had a good preheat time and good BTU output. The "char" flavor of short grilling just comes from the oil burning, not from the heat source (not true of long term/smoking). That said, the cheapest gas grills have heat uniformity issues given they usually only have two burners to cover a whole surface. Weber kettle grills are a perennial favorite and can be had on craigslist for a song, even new they're pretty cheap. Get a chimney starter, too, never use lighter fluid.

edit:

shameless brag on the ribs I made on monday :woop: :getin:

@PRADASLUT: how the meat starts to pull away from bone ^ and v is the texture you're looking for before you pull from oven and grill. the bones also start having a sort of "washed out" coloration as they give up their gelatin/collagen, too.

these are spares, homemade kamado smoker, central texas rub (s+p). 4 hours on 225 F hickory and applewood smoke, wrapped in foil, and coasted to done.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 31, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the tissue around the bone of short ribs called? It ends up being all rubbery and weird when I slow cook them, and I'm wondering if I can just remove it somehow.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What's the tissue around the bone of short ribs called? It ends up being all rubbery and weird when I slow cook them, and I'm wondering if I can just remove it somehow.

The fascia or silverskin? An unpleasant membrane along the underside of the ribs? Yes, that can (and IMO should) be removed before cooking.

Edit: It's pretty easy to remove.

LongSack fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 1, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GrAviTy84 posted:

aside: I never understood the "the ribs were falling off the bone" metric of "good bbq". Anyone can cook the living poo poo out of ribs until they fall off the bone, the art is in cooking them to where they are tender but hold on to the bone long enough for you to bite into it and still have a skosh of meaty texture.

Yeah off the bone is over cooked. When I became a certified Kansas City BBQ Society Judge* they spent a good amount of time reiterating this. A good rib still has some bite to it.

*i paid them money to eat BBQ for 2 hours and get a pin

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LongSack posted:

The fascia or silverskin? An unpleasant membrane along the underside of the ribs? Yes, that can (and IMO should) be removed before cooking.

Edit: It's pretty easy to remove.

Yeah, the whiteish, kinda rubbery, tough, tasteless wrap around the bone. Most easily visible from the back side. I often accidentally cut into it while prepping and that causes the bone to fall off when it cooks. The stuff right over the bone, as seen on the top here:

I was wondering if it's possible to just cut that part out, cause it tastes godawful when cooked. I'll try that next time I get short ribs.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, the whiteish, kinda rubbery, tough, tasteless wrap around the bone. Most easily visible from the back side. I often accidentally cut into it while prepping and that causes the bone to fall off when it cooks. The stuff right over the bone, as seen on the top here:

I was wondering if it's possible to just cut that part out, cause it tastes godawful when cooked. I'll try that next time I get short ribs.

Yup, pull that off. See the link I posted if you have questions as to how to get off, but basically if you can get a corner loose it just peels right off. It's disgusting and you should remove it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We baked potatoes yesterday, but weren't hungry enough to eat them all, and now I have a couple of cold baked potatoes in the fridge... Any good things I can do with them?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mash em up as fine or as chunky as you want, sprinkle and mix with some flour, make some potato cakes? I love that stuff. Golden crust and soft in the middle. You can add an egg into it and mix well if you'd like, but I only ever make em with flour. You might wanna remove the skins, cause that'll be tough as leather.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
What should I do with extremely tough chicken? I culled some of the non-layers and because these girls spent their years sprinting around chasing bugs the meat is super tough. I have a crock pot, a pressure cooker, and a sous vide circulator available.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Coq au vin

Edit: as is always the case, the Guardian recipe is excellent, and even if you don't follow it to the letter, gives a lot of good ideas for flexing your own creative muscle

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 1, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Colombian chicken stew is also a good option. Do both!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

We baked potatoes yesterday, but weren't hungry enough to eat them all, and now I have a couple of cold baked potatoes in the fridge... Any good things I can do with them?

Dice or slice 'em and make homefries.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Loopoo posted:

Mash em up as fine or as chunky as you want, sprinkle and mix with some flour, make some potato cakes? I love that stuff. Golden crust and soft in the middle. You can add an egg into it and mix well if you'd like, but I only ever make em with flour. You might wanna remove the skins, cause that'll be tough as leather.

Seconding this. I love me some potato cakes / latkes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Cut those suckers open, scoop out the potato, mix it with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, diced mushrooms and onion, re-stuff the skins, bake them again and gorge yourself on twice-baked stuffed potatoes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

LongSack posted:

Yup, pull that off. See the link I posted if you have questions as to how to get off, but basically if you can get a corner loose it just peels right off. It's disgusting and you should remove it.

I've eaten it before, it didn't taste like much. Like having bone-in single-sided unground thick-cased sausages.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For beef stew, it says to coat the beef in flour and fry it to give it a nice crispy skin, then dunk it into the stewing pot. Every time I try this, the flour inevitably falls off of the beef and becomes burnt to the bottom of the pan. The rest of the stew isn't affected, by it's a huge pain in the rear end peeling all that burnt flour off the bottom of the pan. So what can I do to ensure this doesn't happen? Don't coat meat in flour, and instead add a touch of flour at the end?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Loopoo posted:

For beef stew, it says to coat the beef in flour and fry it to give it a nice crispy skin, then dunk it into the stewing pot. Every time I try this, the flour inevitably falls off of the beef and becomes burnt to the bottom of the pan. The rest of the stew isn't affected, by it's a huge pain in the rear end peeling all that burnt flour off the bottom of the pan. So what can I do to ensure this doesn't happen? Don't coat meat in flour, and instead add a touch of flour at the end?

how hot are you simmering the stew? It should only scorch if your hob is set too high, simmer on a lower setting.

you can also try searing the beef without flour and building a roux and reserving until the end

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Loopoo posted:

The flour shouldn't be flour any more. I've also never had it fall off and get burnt on the bottom of the pot. How much flour are you using?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you want the flour on the beef when browning as it'll help thicken during the actual stew. Shake excess off, don't worry about a few burnt flour bits. You should be browning as a first step in your stew pot so you can get the fond.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IME, fond builds better w/o flour on the meat. You can really put the spurs to it without flour, with flour it just burns the flour before any decent amount of browning happens. I sear the meat first, then build the roux in the drippings.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

how hot are you simmering the stew? It should only scorch if your hob is set too high, simmer on a lower setting.

you can also try searing the beef without flour and building a roux and reserving until the end

probably simmered it too high, but flour makes it really difficult to find that nice balance.

I think I'm gonna take all the advice given and just sear the beef without flour, then make a roux and add it towards the end.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Searing the meat directly in oil has always made the most sense for me — no disrespect to the flour dredgers. It's how I've been doing it for a while, and I just don't see what dredging in flour would add.

A problem I run into when making stews and braises is dumping a container of stew meat in first and having it turn gray simmering in its own liquid. I don't know how much this affects the taste and quality of the meat, but I think the moisture prevents any fond from forming for sure. If you have any choice in the meat you buy, see if you can buy your chuck, brisket, or round whole or in steaks, and sear in batches (advice blatantly lifted from step two of this article, which has other advice stew lovers might like).

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've eaten it before, it didn't taste like much. Like having bone-in single-sided unground thick-cased sausages.

Sure, technically it's edible like toenails, hair, boogers, and mushrooms in chili. But dear god, why? In high heat it is tough; low heat rubbery. Just get rid of it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm coming across lots of variations of dumpling recipes:

- some call for plain flour and baking powder
- others call for self-raising flour
- some say use milk instead of water
- some say use butter instead of suet

My mum makes killer dumplings, and I'm 100% sure she just uses water and suet, but I'm not sure if she uses self-raising / plain. Do any of you lot have some really tasty dumplings that you can recommend I try? I'm tired of giving these random recipes a go and coming out the end with dense, horrible dumplings.

Also, is there a Discord for this thread? Would be great to hop in and see what you're all making, as well as chatting about foodie stuff.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Loopoo posted:

I'm coming across lots of variations of dumpling recipes:

- some say use milk instead of water
- some say use butter instead of suet

My mum makes killer dumplings, and I'm 100% sure she just uses water and suet, but I'm not sure if she uses self-raising / plain. Do any of you lot have some really tasty dumplings that you can recommend I try? I'm tired of giving these random recipes a go and coming out the end with dense, horrible dumplings.

Also, is there a Discord for this thread? Would be great to hop in and see what you're all making, as well as chatting about foodie stuff.

There used to be various iterations of IRC. I haven't been in there in forevers

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I've made breakfast burritos with baked potatoes before. It's traditional to use hash browns, but other potatoes work too! Heat them back up by frying/microwaving/whatever, add egg and chile, a bit of cheese if you like.

I only ever make breakfast burritos for dinner.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-edit- wrong thread for this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Loopoo posted:

I'm not sure if she uses self-raising / plain.

Ultimately these are the same thing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
For what reason would I want my coffee infused with nitrogen? How does that make coffee better?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Imo it's a stupid fad

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nitro cold brew? Same reason you put a beer on nitro. Mouth feel and attendant changes in flavor.

Now there's a few people out there using nitro pressurized systems to do cold brewing to prevent any oxidation of flavors giving a better flavor than the "vaguely sweet muddy coffee water" of most cold brew. Supposedly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ordered a stand mixer, I'm clogging my kitchen up with a tonne of gadgets, but I've made progress (I like to imagine I'm in a "useless kitchen poo poo we don't need" AA group) and am no longer buying kitchen gadgets that are 100% useless after I use them the first time. I figured the stand mixer is gonna get my lazy rear end into baking more stuff, but I mainly got it for bread and kneading dough. It's nice to knead by hand every now and then when I'm in the mood, but I'd rather get a stand mixer to do it for those days I can't be arsed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Volcott posted:

For what reason would I want my coffee infused with nitrogen? How does that make coffee better?

Much smoother flavour than a standard cold brewed coffee which can be quite bitter without milk. There are some decent indie coffee places around London that do it. Starbucks just tastes like cold Starbucks garbage beans.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Volcott posted:

same reason one would espresso instead of drip/presspot. different extraction conditions result in different flavors. to me it's the espresso analog for cold brewing methods; crema, mouthfeel, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey all. I've got a weird one. I'm trying to figure out what sauce to use when stir frying leftovers. Specifically the leftovers are:

Thai Express - General Thai(tm)

"Pieces of fried battered chicken in a sweet and sour sauce with pepper, onion, carrot, tomato and pineapple, served on steamed rice"

My grandmother ate about half of this last night and complained the chicken was dry, hence my desire to stir fry it in sauce instead of simply re-heating it. So far the eligible sauces I've found in the fridge are:

Mild Garlic
Honey Garlic
Sweet and Sour
Imperial
Plum

And there's also some Soy sauce on hand for if I truly run out of ideas. I also have access to a bunch of poorly labeled spices and other sauces that seem totally unfit for the task at hand.

I'm aware this is basically the equivalent of asking how to spice up McDonald's, but please don't bother with the "just throw it out and make something yourself using fresh ingredients!!!" comments.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Separate out the various components. Take the onion and carrot, add some celery. Fry this mixture in butter until soft. Meanwhile, peel the batter off the chicken and set both batter and chicken aside. Mix the chicken with the pineapple to soften it, and add the batter into the rice. Take the pineapple out of the chicken and discard, and fry with the vegetables. Add your garlic sauce and pour in some chicken stock. Simmer for a while. While this mixture reduces a little, add some flour and eggs, and one of the sauces you've got to the rice/batter mixture, and mix throughly, form into little dumplings, and lightly fry.

To plate, pour the chicken, vegetables and stock into a large bowl and top with a few dumplings.

Chopped leftover special, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah, do what Sci says. Even this might not save your overcooked white meat chicken, but it's worth a try.