Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus? I heard a lot of poo poo about it due to the timing of Heath Ledger's death but I enjoyed it despite the baggage, and thought the choice to recast Heath for every entrance into the Imaginarium was a clever way of getting around that Heath had only filmed the real-world scenes, as the character was an amnesiac conman, so of course in the world of the Imaginarium he becomes a different person. Also Tom Waites had a lot of fun playing the devil and really geeked out about it in the extras :3: I also liked the way the movie ended, I thought it was an interesting twist on the Deal with the Devil idea because The Devil won but only because the last soul he obtained gave herself to him out of anger at her father - the Devil didn't want her as a piece on the board, she was only supposed to be the prize so she ruined his fun as he felt he didn't "earn" his win.

I also really liked the Dustin Hoffman movie Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I felt it did a very good job feeling Seussian without being actually written by Doctor Seuss. I enjoyed the logic of Mr Magorium's life as well, that he knows that he's going to die because he fell so completely in love with a pair of shoes hundreds of years ago he bought enough to last his entire lifetime - he is down to his last pair, that slowly erode over the course of the movie. I thought it did a good job exploring the concept of what happens when the Magic literally Dies , and the passing of the torch scene with Mahoney filling the shop with her own wonder via the piano was a great ending.

I liked it? The ending was really cool. And c'mon if it's a Gilliam joint I'm trying to grab a bunch of people to go see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Zero Theorem is also pretty fun as a thought piece by Gilliam. I like how the film associates Waltz with the hammer. When he smashes his console, David Thewlis arrives and tells him that was the wrong tool for the job, as an innocent joking comment. But the hammer pretty much stands for Waltz's character as a whole. He's the wrong person for the job, trying to brute force the mathematics because his life is so empty otherwise. He then smashes the system with the same hammer.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yes! The Zero Theorem is great!

I like that Waltz is expecting a call from essentially God, which might never show up, and he lives in a church.

I also like that Gilliam created another viable and not that dated image of the future, thirty years after he made Brazil.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Glad to see it was well recieved. Something about Mr Magorium I liked was that the three principle characters formed a triad of the three main traits of that kind of story, each dominated by one and missing one other, but without the help of the title character to develop - once he's gone they have to figure it out for themselves. The Three Traits are Inspiration, Wonder and Courage/Confidence:

1) The Accountant, Mutant. A strong skeptic, like the Sour Kangaroo. He bursts with confidence in his views, but lacks wonder severely.
2) The boy. He has inspiration in bucketloads as seen by the linkin' logs sequence, but lacks any confidence, finding himself apologising for the very things that make him cool (Cowtowing to the other kids with "Sorry, I got carried away")
3) The shop assistant. She is full of wonder, loving the shop completely for what it is and defending it from the skeptic, but lacks inspiration - she has been trying to finish Mahoney's First Symphony for years but has become stuck as a metaphor for her position at the store making her feel trapped. She is starting to resent the store slightly for it.

Over the course of the movie:

The Mutant finds his wonder when defending the shop from Mahoney's lost sense of wonder, and noticing the Congrave Cube moving when she believes in it.

The boy finds his courage when he confronts the accountant with his proposal to buy the store, and when he tries to convince Mahoney to return to it.

Mahoney find her inspiration when the Mutant finally sees the sparkle in her eye, and is able to burst through her mental wall, finish her symphony by infusing her own magic into the store and literally "playing" it back to life.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

Glad to see it was well recieved. Something about Mr Magorium I liked was that the three principle characters formed a triad of the three main traits of that kind of story, each dominated by one and missing one other, but without the help of the title character to develop - once he's gone they have to figure it out for themselves. The Three Traits are Inspiration, Wonder and Courage/Confidence:

1) The Accountant, Mutant. A strong skeptic, like the Sour Kangaroo. He bursts with confidence in his views, but lacks wonder severely.
2) The boy. He has inspiration in bucketloads as seen by the linkin' logs sequence, but lacks any confidence, finding himself apologising for the very things that make him cool (Cowtowing to the other kids with "Sorry, I got carried away")
3) The shop assistant. She is full of wonder, loving the shop completely for what it is and defending it from the skeptic, but lacks inspiration - she has been trying to finish Mahoney's First Symphony for years but has become stuck as a metaphor for her position at the store making her feel trapped. She is starting to resent the store slightly for it.

Over the course of the movie:

The Mutant finds his wonder when defending the shop from Mahoney's lost sense of wonder, and noticing the Congrave Cube moving when she believes in it.

The boy finds his courage when he confronts the accountant with his proposal to buy the store, and when he tries to convince Mahoney to return to it.

Mahoney find her inspiration when the Mutant finally sees the sparkle in her eye, and is able to burst through her mental wall, finish her symphony by infusing her own magic into the store and literally "playing" it back to life.

It was the Anti-Toys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

It was the Anti-Toys.

People are Anti-Toys?

It had Joan Cusack damnit that's heartless.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this really counts as a SMM, but the women in the new Baywatch movie are consistently (and without comment or fanfare) depicted at being actually good at their jobs as lifeguards. There's a gag or two about their attractiveness, but it's way less than I would've cynically guessed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Watching Hot Fuzz for the third time and picked up a new one:
The Andes are introduced as Constable Cartwright and Constable Wainwright.

This isn't just a gag about very similar names - a wainwright is a cartwright.

Also all the villagers have occupational surnames:
Tim Messenger - Journalist
Dr Hatcher
Ray Porter - Pub landlord
Joyce Cooper - runs the hotel
Rev Shooter - shoots two guns while jumping through the air
Mr Blower - dreadful actor, full of hot air

It's like a game of Happy Families. :allears:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Joyce Cooper - runs the hotel

A cooper is a barrelmaker though...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Watching Hot Fuzz for the third time and picked up a new one:
The Andes are introduced as Constable Cartwright and Constable Wainwright.

This isn't just a gag about very similar names - a wainwright is a cartwright.

It's like a game of Happy Families. :allears:

One is also always reading Iain M Banks, and the other is always reading Iain Banks. Same author, the one with the M in the middle is just his sci fi stuff.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah but a hotel could be described as a coop. I'm not gonna demand perfect accuracy in my puns.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Cooping is also slang for enclosing something in a pen and/or police slang for a secluded location to hide from the boss.

Every NYPD precinct has a list of "cooping prone locations" supervisors are supposed to constantly check, a leftover regulation from the days before radio equipped patrol cars (no, really).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

Cooping is also slang for enclosing something in a pen and/or police slang for a secluded location to hide from the boss.

Every NYPD precinct has a list of "cooping prone locations" supervisors are supposed to constantly check, a leftover regulation from the days before radio equipped patrol cars (no, really).

Wow. My dad used to call two cop cars pulled together driver to driver cooping because it looks like a bird with its wing over the head. I wonder if I misunderstood or if it was some variation of that term.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Well it's police slang in the NYPD. It's not universal by any means.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One is also always reading Iain M Banks, and the other is always reading Iain Banks. Same author, the one with the M in the middle is just his sci fi stuff.

Ooooh.

He had a good wain story.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus? I heard a lot of poo poo about it due to the timing of Heath Ledger's death but I enjoyed it despite the baggage, and thought the choice to recast Heath for every entrance into the Imaginarium was a clever way of getting around that Heath had only filmed the real-world scenes, as the character was an amnesiac conman, so of course in the world of the Imaginarium he becomes a different person. Also Tom Waites had a lot of fun playing the devil and really geeked out about it in the extras :3: I also liked the way the movie ended, I thought it was an interesting twist on the Deal with the Devil idea because The Devil won but only because the last soul he obtained gave herself to him out of anger at her father - the Devil didn't want her as a piece on the board, she was only supposed to be the prize so she ruined his fun as he felt he didn't "earn" his win.

I also really liked the Dustin Hoffman movie Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I felt it did a very good job feeling Seussian without being actually written by Doctor Seuss. I enjoyed the logic of Mr Magorium's life as well, that he knows that he's going to die because he fell so completely in love with a pair of shoes hundreds of years ago he bought enough to last his entire lifetime - he is down to his last pair, that slowly erode over the course of the movie. I thought it did a good job exploring the concept of what happens when the Magic literally Dies , and the passing of the torch scene with Mahoney filling the shop with her own wonder via the piano was a great ending.

In the movie Hero Dustin Hoffman's character plot is driven by him losing a shoe. :tinfoil:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this really counts as a SMM, but the women in the new Baywatch movie are consistently (and without comment or fanfare) depicted at being actually good at their jobs as lifeguards.

That's basically how it is with these movies. The women have to be the sensible ones while the men gets to have fun.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

In the movie Hero Dustin Hoffman's character plot is driven by him losing a shoe. :tinfoil:

Like some sort of Cinderella Man?

I thought he was trying to steal a purse.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Those aren't the Andys, that's the identical twin brothers who work the front. It's never said they are two different people and I don't think Angel gets it at first.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

:allears:

This is amazing.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

This isn't a subtle movie moment as such, but since this is the post little things you like about tv/film I'm just gonna put it here. I've been binge watching Stargate lately because I never saw it growing up, and though not without it's minor annoyances it's very enjoyable.

One things I started noticing and absolutely love about the show is that it doesn't waste time at the start or end of an episode. It always jumps right into the (setup for) the conflict, and when it ends there's no sappy epilogue or smirks or whatever. Just boom, credits, done. It makes me feel, I don't know, respected as a viewer, I guess, because they know I'm smart enough that I don't need to actually see them arrive home for the happy ending. O'Neill patting Teal'C on the shoulder as they turn towards the Stargate (if that) is enough to conclude an episode.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

This isn't a subtle movie moment as such, but since this is the post little things you like about tv/film I'm just gonna put it here. I've been binge watching Stargate lately because I never saw it growing up, and though not without it's minor annoyances it's very enjoyable.

One things I started noticing and absolutely love about the show is that it doesn't waste time at the start or end of an episode. It always jumps right into the (setup for) the conflict, and when it ends there's no sappy epilogue or smirks or whatever. Just boom, credits, done. It makes me feel, I don't know, respected as a viewer, I guess, because they know I'm smart enough that I don't need to actually see them arrive home for the happy ending. O'Neill patting Teal'C on the shoulder as they turn towards the Stargate (if that) is enough to conclude an episode.

This reminds of an irritating moment (wrong thread I know) but True Detective season 1 ends with both detectives surviving, fine. Didn't really solve the over-arching problem, fine. You got that one guy, fine fine fine. But as they're leaving the hospital it suddenly becomes the ending of a Lethal Weapon movie with that loving carton of cigarettes. Really a terrible ending for a good show.

And this is why SG-1 is better than True Detective. Golden age of television my rear end.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Taeke posted:

My favorite example of this is one where O'Neill had been captured and imprisoned on an alien ship. The episode hinges on him trying to convince an all-powerful being sworn to non-interference to just unlock the door for him. He doesn't need a full rescue, just an unlocked door. He can take care of everything else himself. In the end he is successful, and the episode ends with him pushing the door open and heading out into the hallway. And that's it. We don't need to see him disarm a guard, hijack an escape pod, or get back to Earth. O'Neill has gotten out of his cell, he said he could handle himself once that happened, and the show knows that we believe him.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That's the one with Bhaal right?

I loved how it was basically O'Neil who forced the Tokra to go on the crazy rescue mission. Was much more interesting than essentially kidnapping

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not a movie, but I just noticed in Arrested Development S1 when George Michael knocks out part of the railing, he silently "fixes" it in the background, and that involves two screws barely stuck in the floor. He uses a pair of pliers for this.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

During the flashback sequence to the previous Batman movies in The Lego Batman Movie, they gave 89 Batman Michael Keaton's mouth.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Perry Normal posted:

During the flashback sequence to the previous Batman movies in The Lego Batman Movie, they gave 89 Batman Michael Keaton's mouth.

I'm watching it right now and dang it's packed with this stuff.

e: Vicki Vale's pearl necklace there is actually not in '89 Batman but actually an in-joke about Alec Baldwin

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Jun 1, 2017

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

[quote="syscall girl" post="""]
e: Vicki Vale's pearl necklace there is actually not in '89 Batman but actually an in-joke about Alec Baldwin
[/quote]

Seems kinda racy for a lego game

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In The Americans Phillip Jennings' alter ego Clark wears glasses.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

syscall girl posted:

In The Americans Phillip Jennings' alter ego Clark wears glasses.

duh

but despite that, lol i- just realized that too. thanks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

duh

but despite that, lol i- just realized that too. thanks

Also his contact/wife's name is Martha?

That's uh, huh

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Marketing thread is closed so I'll post this here: I just saw a pretty cool advert for the Samsung Infinity Display where it starts with a normal smartphone playing a video, but as the action hits an edge of the screen it knocks part of the casing away to reveal more screen. I thought that that was a kind of cool idea.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
More The Americans fun:

The mail robot that John Boy kicks the poo poo out of is the same model as the one NASA has in Flight of the Navigator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4v-dMfzp3E

This thing has been doing some serious espionage

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
This isn't that subtle but I didn't get it as a kid: in Blazing Saddles, the running joke isn't just that Bart is black, it's that he's a black hipster from the 70s transplanted into a Western.

He's smarter and more sophisticated than all the racist white people around him, but it doesn't even register on them. They don't know who Cole Porter is, they don't get wordplay, they just know he's black and therefore less-than. That's low key a pretty good critique of racism.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Except that everyone in Blazing Saddles is playing actors in an 1970's studio backlot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except that everyone in Blazing Saddles is playing actors in an 1970's studio backlot.

I'm workin' for Mel Brooks!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm workin' for Mel Brooks!

Yesssssssssssss

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm always a fan of when a movie breaks the 4th wall but Blazing Saddles literally breaking the studio was amazing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yesssssssssssss

I'm always a fan of when a movie breaks the 4th wall but Blazing Saddles literally breaking the studio was amazing.

Ditto.

Blazing Saddles was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ditto.

Blazing Saddles was is amazing.

:colbert: