Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Corrode posted:

I'm glad this straightforward new presentation of points makes working out the base cost of a model so simple.

its fine just run Unbound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

HardCoil posted:

Is there seriously no difference between a guy and a dreadnought carrying a heavy weapon?

Oh gently caress me, are all Dreadnoughts at -1 to hit with their heavy weapons if they moved?

e: And Knights too?

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 1, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That, and all vehicles. Can't really think of any vehicle above a rhino stormbolter or a chimera with lasguns that doesn't use heavy weapons.

That, combined with vehicles universally getting a price hike, might make this the age of massed infantry.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Dark Eldar actually come out ahead because Dark Lances don't count as heavy when mounted on a vehicle!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Jesus christ what idiot thought that using an index system for Tyranids would be a good idea. We have like a billion different weapons which cost different amounts based on the creature they're on, can you not just list them on the thing itself!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Hamshot posted:

That, and all vehicles. Can't really think of any vehicle above a rhino stormbolter or a chimera with lasguns that doesn't use heavy weapons.

That, combined with vehicles universally getting a price hike, might make this the age of massed infantry.

Almost nothing with a high rate of fire/large blast that strips armour entirely being available already made this the age of massed infantry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Eldar vehicles can equip the crystal targetting matrix to bypass that. Elf supremecy.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

adamantium|wang posted:

Oh gently caress me, are all Dreadnoughts at -1 to hit with their heavy weapons if they moved?

e: And Knights too?

It's a big change, isn't it? Sort of the same effect as vehicles' previous restrictions on firing 1 weapon if they moved cruising spedd and snap firing the rest, although that sort of thing went through a hell of a lot of permutations from 3rd-7th ed and most commonly taken vehicle loadouts had some way around it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eldar vehicles can equip the crystal targetting matrix to bypass that. Elf supremecy.

I think that specifies you ignore the -1 if you fire at the closest target though - way too conditional for me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Almost nothing with a high rate of fire/large blast that strips armour entirely being available already made this the age of massed infantry.

Good, hooray for infantry. As much as I loved mech everything in 5th it was pretty dull to paint an army's worth of dudes then spend 95% of the game pushing their transports around.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

3plusplus has the Sisters of Battle Codex up in photo form
http://www.3plusplus.net/2017/05/sisters-battle-8th-edition-spoilers/

Did they even play 7th edition?
This was legitimately the only way to make Tyranids functional

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Battlewagons give no fucks about moving and firing. Orks Is Best.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Battlewagons give no fucks about moving and firing. Orks Is Best.

It was that or a 6+ to hit.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Due to the Imperium keyword it actually seems easier to put a joint SM/Inquisition/Other Imperials list together than before as you can fit all of them in the larger basic detachments. Something still seems a little off about that, though. I can't recall; did they say something about rules specific to subfactions (Chapter/Legion/Sept/Craftworld/etc) only applying if the entire detachment has that keyword?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

It was that or a 6+ to hit.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Orks are.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PantsOptional posted:

Something still seems a little off about that, though. I can't recall; did they say something about rules specific to subfactions (Chapter/Legion/Sept/Craftworld/etc) only applying if the entire detachment has that keyword?
A lot of the character AOE rules are tied to a subfaction, mainly to prevent the old deathstar-style lists where mixed marine chapters stacked lots of buffs into the same unit. There's nothing to stop them adding more subfaction-specific rules in future, such as stratagems.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah there's a section in the main rulebook that mentions that codexes will be the source for the subfaction warlord traits, wargear and stratagems.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hamshot posted:

Deffrollas never go outta style. :orks101:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah there's a section in the main rulebook that mentions that codexes will be the source for the subfaction warlord traits, wargear and stratagems.

:ssh:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Orks are.

I'm increasingly worried that I'm just not going to have the weight of fire to deal with infantry hordes without multiple squads of Inceptors.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Some more thoughts...

Warbike HQs make a lot of sense. The Warbike gives Bosses and Painboyz a lot of flexibility with respect to managing auras, toughness goes up by 1, and Warbosses still gets to throw pet attack squigs at people. What's not to like? Big Mek Bikers might also be useful for giving coverage to nearby units with a KFF. Or you can fit a loving bike with a Shokk Attack Gun why the hell am I even thinking when I could be doing this.

I would love for someone to look at the "Keepin' Order" rule and tell me WTF it's supposed to mean. Individual models don't flee?

I think GW hosed up; the Blitza-Bommer is better in all ways than the Burna-Bommer and is also cheaper.

If an ork unit fails a morale test and would have models flee from the battle field as a result. If a Nob is 3" or less away from the unit that just failed it's morale test, roll 1D6 for each fleeing model and on a 6, they don't flee.

:orks: Leg it boyz, we's rumbled!
:orks101: Oi!! Get back here ya filthy cowards or I'll krump yer meself!
:orks: Yes, boss... *mumble grumble*

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 1, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I want an Ork army now, but also I have SM/IG/DE to bring up to date and I guess Blood Angels. Plus I was meant to be doing a just-for-fun Lizardmen army, and I have half a Chaos Daemon army on the go which has been getting built for like 5 years. 40k sickness has taken hold.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hamshot posted:

I agree that the price hike and the new weapon/damage balance does seem to make things slightly more Infantry friendly. I consider that to be likely a good change because in my recent experience, most basic infantry was easily swept aside by the more competitive monstrous units. Bikes, very resilient special units and heavy firepower choices tended to dominate.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The leaked rules look really good and reasonable. There may be some winners and losers, but it is impossible to deny balance between armies is probably the best it has ever been.

Really excited for Codex books to give me more flavorful rules like Stratagems and so on, but this is a nice start.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
I'm confident that codex creep won't be a thing, not this time!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah honestly I'm sold on the edition overall. My only real complaint is how anemic all the content feels, but to get past the bloated mess that was 7th edition we really needed a "Burn it all down and start with the basics" approach.

I have other stuff, for sure, but then I think "Is this still worse than 7th edition?" and i think "no, no it is not".

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

I'm confident that codex creep won't be a thing, not this time!

I mean yeah? I don't think anyone thinks this won't be an issue because we've been here before. I'm actually more concerned for the first few codexes though when those armies who get first dibs get more choices.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean yeah? I don't think anyone thinks this won't be an issue because we've been here before. I'm actually more concerned for the first few codexes though when those armies who get first dibs get more choices.

As a former Beastmen player sometimes your codex comes out first in an edition and you never recover. :smith:

Where my Dark Angels Bros at?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Where my Dark Angels Bros at?
:smith::hf::smith:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean yeah? I don't think anyone thinks this won't be an issue because we've been here before.

It's entirely possible for this to not be a thing. Don't set your standards so low. Reach for the stars (or play better games).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think my biggest complaint is that there's no good way to get a poo poo-ton of Boyz for a price. Best I've come up with is still about $2 each.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looking at my Land Raider, I'm thinking why do I even need it any more? The classic Terminator transport option seems redundant now Terminators can reliably Deep Strike, and can't be pie-plated. Take those points and buy something more useful. Like even more Terminators. :neckbeard:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I knew that, I'm just sort of idly speculating as to whether there will be reasons to split off non-subfaction units into a separate detachment aside from the extra Command Points.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Bit disheartened by CSM stuff. Can't really see a reason to use my oblits or Heldrake, or my Vindicator. The Land Raider seems solid, though pricey. They really should have expanded the carry capacity of old assault vehicles, though, to give them something over the basic Rhino. Daemon Engines are still dumb and bad at what they do, which blows my mind as they are fairly specialized. .

Sorcerer-centric armies are kinda borked by the new rules, too, which was something else I enjoyed. Guess I'll be using my DE (also pathetic) and eldar as an Ynnari force, at least until the Chaos book is release. And since the last time CSM was the first release of an edition turned out not so good, I'm no longer confident.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I think my biggest complaint is that there's no good way to get a poo poo-ton of Boyz for a price. Best I've come up with is still about $2 each.

You needed to buy low, when ork players were giving up on 40K during 7th ed.

Now that they don't look like utter garbage their cost is climbing again.

E: I can't lie. I'm very happy I sold off my Space Marine models and decided to keep my Orks. I like kit bashing them and I figured I'd spent the money already, so why not keep them? Who knows, I may even play a game of 8th edition at some point?!

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 1, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

You needed to buy low, when ork players were giving up on 40K during 7th ed.

Now that they don't look like utter garbage their cost is climbing again.

E: I can't lie. I'm very happy I sold off my Space Marine models and decided to keep my Orks. I like kit bashing them and I figured I'd spent the money already, so why not keep them? Who knows, I may even play a game of 8th edition at some point?!

The real problem is that I wanna do up a whole army of shirtless Warboys style Boyz and that's gonna cost even more. :v:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Smart money is waiting on them to revamp the Ork line.
Meaning I get to save this money forever

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

The real problem is that I wanna do up a whole army of shirtless Warboys style Boyz and that's gonna cost even more. :v:

Just give in and do what you want.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116309

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I want to play Warham with this guy and Buffalo Chicken.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
So how does cover work in this edition? I see in the core rules that if you're in terrain you get +1 save, and some of the terrain types are in the Battlefield Terrain section, but I don't see anything about intervening models, or being obscured in general.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Indolent Bastard posted:

If an ork unit fails a morale test and would have models flee from the battle field as a result. If a Nob is 3" or less away from the unit that just failed it's morale test, roll 1D6 for each fleeing model and on a 6, they don't flee.

:orks: Leg it boyz, we's rumbled!
:orks101: Oi!! Get back here ya filthy cowards or I'll krump yer meself!
:orks: Yes, boss... *mumble grumble*

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. I forgot that "fleeing" now just means models disappear. Okay, awesome. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
For those BA players worried about their meltacide squads, I guess you can use them as company veterans as you can select up to two vets with special weapons and have your sarge with the melta-pistol.

• Locked thread