Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Still dont know why youd copy the brain at a molecular level instead of trying to suspend aging/repair damage in the short term. Maybe not quite immortality but from the perspective of the repaired that would probs be fine

Because that way doesn't allow lonely friendless computer nerds to reimagine their worthless lives as cyber-Jesuses acting as prophets heralding the birth of the all-powerful machine God. Most human problems are ultimately caused by humanity, and robots won't do a thing to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Main Paineframe posted:

Because that way doesn't allow lonely friendless computer nerds to reimagine their worthless lives as cyber-Jesuses acting as prophets heralding the birth of the all-powerful machine God. Most human problems are ultimately caused by humanity, and robots won't do a thing to change that.

Ah, but that's sort of the point. Humans cause all these problems, and we can work toward fixing them. Just because we won't see a deathless machine-driven utopian society does not mean we shouldn't each work toward it in our own tiny way, either by shitposting about it on a forum or studying robots or trying to make our political climate ready for the inevitable (and, as a bi-product, not killing ourselves off before the inevitable happens or regressing to feudalism)

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, the people talking about robots? Super Retards.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Broccoli Cat posted:

Yes, the people talking about robots? Super Retards.
Is that word really necessary?

I recall your post history in this thread:

Broccoli Cat posted:

I made sport of some bigoted pussy and he took offense

OR some loving retard misunderstood my employment of irony as a comedic device, while I was making fun of the bigoted pussy
:thunk:
Please reconsider.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 1, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Broccoli Cat posted:

Super Retards.

Don't do this, dude.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is that word really necessary?

I recall your post history in this thread:

:thunk:
Please reconsider.

oh, thank you for your concern.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Broccoli Cat posted:

oh, thank you for your concern.

You are welcome.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

heck, this is a day of profound didact, as, not only am I rethinking the use of one of my favorite words, but the venerable NBC news has taken time out from its thorough investigations of the president's Russian overlords to post this sage warning of horrors yet-to-be...

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/technology/godlike-homo-deus-could-replace-humans-tech-evolves-n757971

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Broccoli Cat posted:

heck, this is a day of profound didact, as, not only am I rethinking the use of one of my favorite words, but the venerable NBC news has taken time out from its thorough investigations of the president's Russian overlords to post this sage warning of horrors yet-to-be...

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/technology/godlike-homo-deus-could-replace-humans-tech-evolves-n757971

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/870021780869697540

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

the modified apes will be efficiently miserable

the machine gods will have paradise

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Huzanko posted:

I wonder if you could break the Ship of Theseus if you slowly swapped out pieces of your brain for cybernetic SSDs or whatever whenever that's possible, so that your consciousness can migrate and expand into the electronic brain slowly. Just have to work out that pesky problem of where your consciousness actually lives in the brain.

I've long thought that, of all known theories on what defines "you" the "continuity of consciousness" one made the most logical sense.Though it's also the most limiting in terms of pursuing immortality.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Broccoli Cat posted:

the modified apes will be efficiently miserable

the machine gods will have paradise

Nah, I'm pretty sure they'll wait for everyone else to be uploaded then send a server update that they are about to blow up the servers and there's nothing any of the e-people can do about it. Because, you know, spite is a beautiful if self-destructive emotion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I dunno how anyone can look at this world and conclude "I want to live here forever"

I wouldn't mind as long as I could live within watching distance but slightly out of actually effective range.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Mulva posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure they'll wait for everyone else to be uploaded then send a server update that they are about to blow up the servers and there's nothing any of the e-people can do about it. Because, you know, spite is a beautiful if self-destructive emotion.

that's ape-thinking, friend.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

upload rich people's consciousness to the cloud

unplug the power to the servers

full communism now achieved

gently caress i guess i have to support this nonsense now

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

What will we call the app though? Paging Discendo Vox.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Don't do this, dude.

please allow yourself to be more hopeful about the prospect of a machine brain. technology has helped all kinds of people in the past

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

Ascendr?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

what's our price and do we do a kickstarter or indiegogo

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

stone cold posted:

Now there's a Kickstarter I'll donate to.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Mercrom posted:

please allow yourself to be more hopeful about the prospect of a machine brain. technology has helped all kinds of people in the past

machines clutch no pearls

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Broccoli Cat posted:

machines clutch no pearls

counterpoint: a pearl clutching machine

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

stone cold posted:

there is one billionaire in Cuba.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

what's our price and do we do a kickstarter or indiegogo

I was thinking we'd go for VC funding to start but we need to flesh (bot?) out this idea a bit more.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

I was thinking we'd go for VC funding to start but we need to flesh (bot?) out this idea a bit more.

oh gently caress so not only do I have to support this cyberbrain nonsense but I'll also have to celebrate mark zuckerberg day someday too

im having a real case of the mondays

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

oh gently caress so not only do I have to support this cyberbrain nonsense but I'll also have to celebrate mark zuckerberg day someday too

im having a real case of the mondays

How else are we going to make this model affordable/accessible though?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

How else are we going to make this model affordable/accessible though?

i mean they had plenty of attendees at fyre festival

that's our case study to emulate

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

i mean they had plenty of attendees at fyre festival

that's our case study to emulate

Fyre festival did have VC though. I remembered making fun of their pitch deck for ages.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

sorry, friend, but this is the closest you're ever going to get to becoming a machine consciousness:

Interestingly you can't copy something like the human brain, not in any appreciable way anyway. The human brain contains too many small parts, and there are even biological processes that rely on odd quantum effects.

However, it is possible to transfer all the states of a thing to something else, via quantum teleportation but doing this destroys the original. Something like that could be a method of 'transferring consciousness' in a not so messy way.

Here's a handy video explaining teleportation that's accessible to the people who post here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxQK1WDYI_k

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

Fyre festival did have VC though. I remembered making fun of their pitch deck for ages.

holy poo poo i forgot about that

who could we sucker in on this

does coolio have much money left

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, in the post cyber-pocalypse or whatever this nonsense is about can I get some robot arms to go all Rule of Nature on white libertarians? Thanks!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

holy poo poo i forgot about that

who could we sucker in on this

does coolio have much money left

More name ideas:
Acceleratr
G-teenr
Elevate
Heav.in

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

More name ideas:
Acceleratr
G-teenr
Elevate
Heav.in

fcn

we'll tell them it stands for function

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Raptyre

don't get left behind

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Youtube videos with instagram models with coaxial cables convering their boobs

You get there and there's an eeg machine, a usb stick, and a gun

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

inkblot posted:

Hey, in the post cyber-pocalypse or whatever this nonsense is about can I get some robot arms to go all Rule of Nature on white libertarians? Thanks!

there won't be any walking around

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broccoli Cat posted:

there won't be any walking around

Ah, the greatest goon fantasy.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Where we're going, we don't need feet to walk :coffeepal:

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Ah, the greatest goon fantasy.

I thought furry conventions took care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

People don't seem to be concerned with having backdoors and other faults built into things such as the neural lace. Consider that that NSA and CIA both have backdoors and workarounds built into hardware and software in nearly all computers and operating systems. Will you give them direct access to your brain? Not to mention all the vulnerabilities that hackers will eventually find.

• Locked thread