Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Zapf Dingbat posted:

but we don't feel the need to share very often
Share more often. :) Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The lady of the house had the idea to "eat like a millionaire" so she came up with a cheese/meat/hors d'oeuvres plate thing.

I had no idea I was a millionaire.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Last I heard millionaires are more likely to go for well done steaks smothered in ketchup.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Stringent posted:

Last I heard millionaires are more likely to go for well done steaks smothered in ketchup.

uh, that's billionaires

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wife's away for work so bachelor cooking tonight

Butter basted a scotch fillet and oven baked some sweet potato fries

Perfect for watching the football :getin:

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Tonight's noms are bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin with steamed asparagus and hominy sauteed in bacon grease. I adore this hominy recipe. It's like candy to me.

Ingredients from that I did tonight:

1 lb bacon, cut into pieces
2 30oz cans of hominy, drained
1 bulb (not clove, BULB. gently caress you "one clove of garlic" motherfuckers) of garlic, minced
4 stalks of green onions, sliced up
Pepper and salt to taste

1. Fry up the bacon on medium-high until most of the fat has become liquid and the bacon is mostly cooked, whichever comes last.
2. Add the garlic and green onions, and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the hominy and coat it with the bacon grease. Sautee at medium for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, adding salt and pepper as necessary.

Obviously, you're supposed to do about half of that but gently caress it, this stuff is awesome.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

teh winnar! posted:

Tonight's noms are bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin with steamed asparagus and hominy sauteed in bacon grease. I adore this hominy recipe. It's like candy to me.

Ingredients from that I did tonight:

1 lb bacon, cut into pieces
2 30oz cans of hominy, drained
1 bulb (not clove, BULB. gently caress you "one clove of garlic" motherfuckers) of garlic, minced
4 stalks of green onions, sliced up
Pepper and salt to taste

1. Fry up the bacon on medium-high until most of the fat has become liquid and the bacon is mostly cooked, whichever comes last.
2. Add the garlic and green onions, and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the hominy and coat it with the bacon grease. Sautee at medium for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, adding salt and pepper as necessary.

Obviously, you're supposed to do about half of that but gently caress it, this stuff is awesome.

I don't believe you made this.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Trying to be a bit healthier so made crispy skin salmon with avocado and baked sweet potato fries

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm a pork fiend so when my butcher got some Iberico chops in I was all over it. They're £29/kg against £7/kg for regular chops and taste a lot 'steakier' than regular chops.

1 min a side in a ripping hot pan then 140 mins at 70'c.

Greens are broccoli, spinach and spiralised courgette.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Finally used my cast iron skillet for something neither eggs nor curry and made caramel coconut pecan sticky buns!

Verdict: They taste good but are Too Much; I ate one of the smaller ones and felt a bit sick with all the sugar. The cookbook has a recipe for cherry buns with powdered sugar icing that uses the same dough, I might do something similar to that next time.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 29, 2017

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

Verdict: They taste good but are Too Much; I ate one of the smaller ones and felt a bit sick with all the sugar. The cookbook has a recipe for cherry buns with powdered sugar icing that uses the same dough, I might do something similar to that next time.
Which cookbook? I adore cherry baked goods.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Aunt Beth posted:

Which cookbook? I adore cherry baked goods.

A little magazine-type thing I grabbed at the grocery store, it's called Cast Iron Desserts.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just fyi, the best cherry preserves are by Ziad. It's tart and delicious.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like making cherry(or any fruit for any purpose) sauce in wine. Goes great with gamey meat and only takes about half an hour from start to finish.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I made something on Monday:

Honestly, one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. ~2.5lb bone-in Akaushi ribeye, dry-aged, dry-brined, smoked and reverse seared, basted in butter, garlic, shallots, thyme and rosemary.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Random Hero posted:

Honestly, one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. ~2.5lb bone-in Akaushi ribeye, dry-aged, dry-brined, smoked and reverse seared, basted in butter, garlic, shallots, thyme and rosemary.

So loving jealous

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've been living on peanut butter sandwiches because i'm flat broke and that post honestly made me angry.

Looks so goddamn good. Well done.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Random Hero posted:

Wow

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Random Hero posted:

Literally triggered a pavlovian response.

What are you doing with the rosemary brush there?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Porcini risotto, herbed goat cheese, parmesan crisp, arugula, chive flowers.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Literally triggered a pavlovian response.

What are you doing with the rosemary brush there?

Towards the end of the reverse sear (pulled at 115) and during the actual sear, I was basting the steak with garlic, shallots and butter using the rosemary/thyme brush.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Was craving a burger. Made a burger. Sorry for the blurry pics, I had greasy fingers from opening it up so it doesn't really showcase much of anything as I couldn't properly hold my phone, should have thought it out better but I didn't plan on taking pics:

Having a thermometer makes this stuff child's play. No longer gotta cut things open or poke at them, just use a thermometer when I think it's done and it'll tell me how far off I am. Burger was 20% beef mince (not lean), an egg, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, 1 tsp worcestershire sauce, 1tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp onion powder. Burger was layered bottom bun>lettuce>pickles>tomato>onions>burger>cheese>tomato>lettuce>ketchup>top bun.

It turned out really good, but it's 1 hit KO'd my stomach and I'm bursting from just two of the suckers. I'm going to make much thinner patties next time as well, cause my jaw was cramping up from how wide I had to open to get it down. Was really quick and easy to make, so I'm probs just gonna do this next time I'm craving it instead of getting fast food. I've got enough left for a further two patties tomorrow if I feel like it.

The food coma struggle is real. I also have a very guilty conscience because that felt so unhealthy, so I'll be eating veggies and fruits for the next 4 days to compensate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Was craving a burger. Made a burger.

:same:

6oz lean beef
spinach from the garden
feta
sauteed onions
parm cheese crisp
crispy fried shiitakes
sun-dried tomato and ketchup puree
on a brioche bun

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, I just got completely outclassed. thanks, mr bigdick. now I feel inadequate.

it's not the size that matters, right? it's how it tastes, right guys?

spinach from the garden is a nice touch, what other stuff do you grow?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

aww I wasn't trying to show you up man, just wanted to share. All burgs are good.

This year, besides the spinach I'm growing a couple kinds of tomatoes, strawberries, thyme, rosemary, and thai basil for now. I do this on the shared roof of my apartment building, so space is limited - would love to have a full sized backyard to plant in like my folks did when I was young :sigh:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I know ;) just was flabbergasted at how glorious your one looked.

you ought to grow radishes, too. trust me, you'll never taste anything quite like fresh radishes. they're a lot less tangy / spicy than store bought, and are surprisingly sweet. when I grew my first, I was really shocked at just how sweet they could be, seeing as the only radishes I'd ever had were always tangy like garlic. be thankful you can grow stuff, I'm stuck in an apartment with no garden, and I wish I could grow my own veggies. would be such a fun summer project. I looked into getting an allotment, but there's a 3 year waiting list and I'll be done with my degree by then and somewhere else. ridiculous.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Loopoo posted:

I know ;) just was flabbergasted at how glorious your one looked.

you ought to grow radishes, too. trust me, you'll never taste anything quite like fresh radishes. they're a lot less tangy / spicy than store bought, and are surprisingly sweet. when I grew my first, I was really shocked at just how sweet they could be, seeing as the only radishes I'd ever had were always tangy like garlic. be thankful you can grow stuff, I'm stuck in an apartment with no garden, and I wish I could grow my own veggies. would be such a fun summer project. I looked into getting an allotment, but there's a 3 year waiting list and I'll be done with my degree by then and somewhere else. ridiculous.

Weirdly, we just harvested our first radish crop from our planter box, very first harvest ever, and yeah they're incredible. Make sure you cook the greens with a little oil and garlic, too.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Cast iron pizza, tried doing more of a New Haven tomato pie style... Trader Joe's crust, pureed canned whole tomatoes w/ salt and a little EVOO, and fresh grated parmesan.

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

To make up for the hella unhealthy burgs I made yesterday (I could genuinely feel the cholesterol flowing through my veins), I decided today would be a somewhat healthy dinner:

I dunno what the hell this is. I just saw a barley & bean mix sitting in the cupboard, along with a tin of red kidney beans. Figured I'd use them as the main star of the dish, and build around it.

Threw in:
- Onions and garlic that I sauteed
- Rosemary and Thyme (a little bit)
- Cabbage, Celery, Leek, Carrots, Potatoes, Green Beans (runner beans?) and baby corn
- Tin of tomatoes
- A cute lil star anise and a bay leaf, along with some parsley
- A fair amount of chilli flakes and cayenne
- Vegetable stock

Turned out really delicious, packs a punch, and is a guaranteed 1 hit KO to your stomach. Real filling, even without any meat. I left the barley and beans soaking overnight, and then whammed it in the instant pot for 30 mins and it's incredibly yummy. Kinda like healthy comfort food, without the post-meal guilt. The little cheeky chilli kick is interesting too. I love how pressure cooking still maintains the texture of vegetables, they don't dissolve to mush, so my cabbage is still intact, my carrots have bite, the celery isn't goo. Super happy with this. The barley really mopped up a lot of the liquid, so I've got a nice thick sauce to it. I might add more water to make it more soupy and get myself hydrated, but that'll be for later when I reheat it.

I love that I went into this recipe with no idea what I was doing, but just said gently caress it and went with the flow, adding stuff I thought would complement each other. It's oddly satisfying throwing caution to the wind and just experimenting, it can be really frustrating when you follow a recipe to the tee and it ends up not being nice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stringent posted:

No as Donald Trump has taught us they eat lovely hamburgers and lovely nacho-platters.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

No as Donald Trump has taught us they eat lovely hamburgers and lovely nacho-platters.
He also eats well done steak with ketchup. Caused a stir in January or February when he went to some super fancy steakhouse and did just that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Of course he loving did, drat you reality :negative:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I've been loving Alton Brown's buffalo wings for a while now, made some today:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

JawKnee posted:

I've been loving Alton Brown's buffalo wings for a while now, made some today:

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Made some pork ribs and forgot to take before picture so here is a during with lovely lighting and a cellphone quality.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rehydrated dried shitake, imitation crab, avocado maki

Turns out sushi rice isn't too hard to make. This is the fourth roll attempt; my wife and I, even having experience in doing exactly that (in a sushi class long ago), STILL put too much rice on the three before this one. Still probably a touch too much, but it was the best of the lot.

Shitake + avocado is my wife's absolute favorite roll, mostly due to this vegan sushi place in Berkeley that is divine.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
fried brocoli, pickles, chickpeas, feta

2hr potato leak gratin

pad thai

serious eats black bean, poblano, cotija & feta burger

king of sammich: grilled cheese, mayo, tomato, lettuce

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
How was the consistency on the black bean burger?

I use the same recipe and mine would crumble until I started making them thinner.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Cloks posted:

How was the consistency on the black bean burger?

I use the same recipe and mine would crumble until I started making them thinner.

I tweaked it a bit - left out the egg and nuts, put more minced anaheim pepper in it and some serano too, plus some chickpeas. I dab it in some wholemeal flour and cornmeal before frying in a cast iron skillet. Yeah it's a bit crumbly around the edges but totally manageable. Makes a really tasty moist burger with chilli mayo, sauteed onions, cheese, tomato, lettuce and chutney.

Edit: just remembered, I didn't dry the black beans out enough and the mix was quite fudgy - the chickpeas help with that. I imagine if you're having trouble with crumble the dryness of the beans would be a big factor. Maybe shorten that time a little.

I portioned it into half a dozen meals for two worth in ziploc bags in the freezer.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I had a burrito for dinner, so here's breakfast instead...

Sweet potato and spinach hash with eggs.