Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A regular run would be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I already donated the cost of the hypothetical game to the charity so I probably will just emulate.

...When I next come back to the site, I am probably going to see spidercock, aren't I? :v:

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'm in the same boat and am doing the same thing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

InfernoBlade posted:

And I just kicked some money in the can. All I know is I want berserkers. And I want #BERSERKERRISK to be #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER

:sigh: So all us Riskers are looking at potential Quadzerks again, are we? I'll be over in the corner sobbing if you need me.

Yes, I know I'm running normal so I'll get at most TriZerks, but that's not much better!

Anyway, I've actually got a decent internet connection this year, having finally discovered an ISP that covers my town (aside from CenturyLink and their utter refusal to pack higher than a 7 Mbps connection in my mostly-rural area), so now that I've got a decent 30 Mbps connection, I've been getting into streaming and figure I might as well do so for my FJF runs. Anyone know if I'm able to do that with VBA? Or would I need some other program to stream my poo poo on Twitch?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Anyway, I've actually got a decent internet connection this year, having finally discovered an ISP that covers my town (aside from CenturyLink and their utter refusal to pack higher than a 7 Mbps connection in my mostly-rural area), so now that I've got a decent 30 Mbps connection, I've been getting into streaming and figure I might as well do so for my FJF runs. Anyone know if I'm able to do that with VBA? Or would I need some other program to stream my poo poo on Twitch?

OBS works just fine with Twitch and that will stream just about anything that's on your desktop.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This is seriously my fifth year trying and for some reason crazy poo poo happens to me right in the middle of summer and I never finish my run, but this year is my year!

Also fun fact with or without zerkerrisk I've gotten a berserker every year :d: In 2015 I got 3 zerkers and a Blue Mage

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I haven't played FFV since I was a kid, so I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics, but I also don't want to shame the spirits of my ancestors by being a baby and taking the easiest route - what kind of run should I do?

A Normal Run is still pretty challenging and probably the best way to do your first fiesta.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

A Normal Run is still pretty challenging and probably the best way to do your first fiesta.

This.

That said, if you want the absolute easiest run possible, do a straight 750 run with no modifiers. That guarantees your first crystal will be a good job, and gives you a 66% of doing amazing with the Water crystal, so no matter what you have a party to take you to the endgame; the only real "bad" roll you can get is White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer, also known as "this team will spend the first 90% of the game doing virtually nothing and then suddenly become murdertrains".

EDIT: Red Mage is worse for the water crystal in the endgame (aside from dualcasting Holies) but rod-boosted -aras get rid of all of the World 1 problems the team has - which is to say Byblos, Adamantite, and Sol Cannon. Doing those with only !Gaia to do damage with is Less Than Pleasant.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 1, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, a normal run is nice because you rarely get completely carried, but you almost never get a truly horrible team either. Like, absolute worst case is probably Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon, and not only is that team still better than some of the possible Chaos compositions, the chance of actually rolling it is super small.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On the one hand, basically zero. On the other, the counterfeits are so good you can't tell except that they can't Quicksave.

I'm reasonably sure that my GBA cartridge is a bootleg, but oddly enough, the Quicksave feature still works. Guess I got the high-quality ripoff. :smug:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, a normal run is nice because you rarely get completely carried, but you almost never get a truly horrible team either. Like, absolute worst case is probably Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon, and not only is that team still better than some of the possible Chaos compositions, the chance of actually rolling it is super small.

Thief (or Monk)/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer.

Admittedly, !Red 3 on a Geomancer is perfectly usable, but Red Mage is basically a wasted slot if it doesn't have any better mages to leech stats off of. Dancer is just a less reliable Thief that dies in even fewer hits. Monk is Monk.

EDIT: Yes, I know, Equip Ribbons is huge, but it doesn't make up for that godawful HP. When your thief would be the party tank...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The generosity of goons once again astounds me :psyduck: and, um, not just because of the goon part of course.

Oyster posted:

Does the secret command still work? I'm tempted to do it again simply because I didn't take down shinryuu last year and a simple clear just isn't enough punishment.
I can't reg yet so asking as well. Also, any other secret ones this year?

I can't top quadzerking Omniscient and Gogo so I'll probably play for real this time and do berserkerrisk chaos (I love mimic but not freelancer). Maybe if I randomly roll 4 I'll do it again this year:unsmigghh:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Thief (or Monk)/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer.

I'd rather have a Red Mage than Berserker, but I think we already had the same discussion in the last thread and agreed to disagree. :v:

Dancer vs. Dragoon is kind of a toss-up. Dancer is more fragile, but at least it gets some actual offence once you reach world 3. Dragoon is just disappointing throughout. Plus, several members of this team would actually like Equip Ribbons, while no one gets much out of !Lance.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Signed up for a normal run this year with a side dish of BERSERKER RISK. After having a run with access to quick sap for all of the bonus bosses followed a second run where I got Blue Mage, Time Mage, Bard, and Chemist, I think I could do with more difficulty, less tedium this time around.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun choosing exactly how to crush every single encounter with the second team but drat, they're all high maintenance.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Do we have a Buttz or Fartz donation thing this year?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

InfernoBlade posted:

So I don't want to outright choose the run this time like I did last year. But I'm going to drop another large donation in the next day or so. Any ideas on how to use it for the run this time around?

Give Them Geomancer

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Give Them Geomancer

I actually like this idea, since people bitch about it so much. But I want them to be able to show how to make it work, so it probably needs another job to go with it. Maybe Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/??

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

InfernoBlade posted:

I actually like this idea, since people bitch about it so much. But I want them to be able to show how to make it work, so it probably needs another job to go with it. Maybe Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/??

THat's just black mage/rune axe/black mage dressed like an idiot/a 3rd black mage.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

THat's just black mage/rune axe/black mage dressed like an idiot/a 3rd black mage.

Perhaps yeah, and Bearaga would be great to see too... Ugh so many choices.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
How about a non-mage at wind crystal and a Time Mage at the water crystal so they might actually have to use !Gaia for offense sometimes but can still use the Geomancer as a secondary mage. My suggestion is Knight/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Let's see some Swords Dances with actual swords. My only problem with this party is it might make it too hard for them beat Omega without quickleaking.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Oh yeah Time/Geo is a good pairing

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

How about a non-mage at wind crystal and a Time Mage at the water crystal so they might actually have to use !Gaia for offense sometimes. My suggestion is Knight/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Let's see some Swords Dances with actual swords. My only problem with this party is it might make it too hard for them beat Omega without quickleaking.

Water crystal is Berserker. That's the only thing I'm putting all $5000 towards. I figure if we're spreading the love around enough to make #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER happen, the run needs one too.

The other jobs I'm actually having RK basically split the money so that I only put +500 towards them, that way others can override me this time if they want to. At least on everything but the berserker.

As such here's what I'm going to tell RK to do unless someone convinces me otherwise in the next couple hours:
Wind: Thief White Mage +500
Water: Berserker + 5000
Fire: Beastmaster + 500
Earth: Dragoon + 500

I don't think this is a particularly mean party, but it's also not particularly easy. IMO there's none of the broken classes in there, but it also lacks any real forms of magic damage or healing so that's going to make it a bit difficult to work with.

InfernoBlade fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 1, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mountaineer posted:

How about a non-mage at wind crystal and a Time Mage at the water crystal so they might actually have to use !Gaia for offense sometimes but can still use the Geomancer as a secondary mage. My suggestion is Knight/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Let's see some Swords Dances with actual swords. My only problem with this party is it might make it too hard for them beat Omega without quickleaking.

Don't think Omega and Shin are required this year.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

InfernoBlade posted:

Water crystal is Berserker. That's the only thing I'm putting all $5000 towards. I figure if we're spreading the love around enough to make #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER happen, the run needs one too.

The other jobs I'm actually having RK basically split the money so that I only put +500 towards them, that way others can override me this time if they want to. At least on everything but the berserker.

As such here's what I'm going to tell RK to do unless someone convinces me otherwise in the next couple hours:
Wind: Thief +500

I don't think this is a particularly mean party, but it's also not particularly easy. IMO there's none of the broken classes in there, but it also lacks any real forms of magic damage or healing so that's going to make it a bit difficult to work with.

Give 'em White Mage at wind maybe? That would make it very close to my very first fiesta party which was White/Berserker/Beastmaster/Samurai. That was a really good and fun party once it got going.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

InfernoBlade posted:

Wind: Thief +500

I definitely want to see some Beastmaster shenanigans this year. Good on you, InfernoBlade.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My only concern about a loadout without a magic class is Fork Tower and that taking f o r e v e r.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

My only concern about a loadout without a magic class is Fork Tower and that taking f o r e v e r.

Fair. WHM it is for Wind.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bufuman posted:

:sigh: So all us Riskers are looking at potential Quadzerks again, are we? I'll be over in the corner sobbing if you need me.

Yes, I know I'm running normal so I'll get at most TriZerks, but that's not much better!

*looks at the current donation total vs Riskers*

... we're already at minimum 2 Berserker's per risk.

More people sign up for Risk? Please?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even better, sign up for risk and donate 10 zerks to the cause :getin:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
more people donate berserkers :getin:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

more people donate berserkers :getin:

lol hi poque

e; running 5th job give me 5 zerkers please.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 1, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Can you even get more than one Berserker if you're not playing Chaos? I honestly can't remember.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can you even get more than one Berserker if you're not playing Chaos? I honestly can't remember.

But who doesn't play Chaos? :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Random, Chaos, and presumably Pure Chaos can all receive multiple berserkers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Let's do this. Pure chaos with fifth job and RISK. I'm ready.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kyrosiris posted:

Random, Chaos, and presumably Pure Chaos can all receive multiple berserkers.

Pure Chaos can only do so with RISK.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Pre-regged for my first pure chaos run, woo hoo.

No risk though. Not that crazy, especially with someone spiking the zerker pool so much!

If it were to start today, every risk player would have 2 guaranteed zerks!

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 1, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Aerdan posted:

Pure Chaos can only do so with RISK.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. :v:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

InfernoBlade posted:

Wind: Thief White Mage +500

My vote would be Dancer instead of Dragoon for the Earth crystal, but that's just because I like the idea of introducing a little chaos into a speedrun.

Beastmaster should be fun, but my only concern is how it'll be used to cheese so many boss fights. Berserker means they can only !Release three times per fight, though, so maybe it won't be quite so cheesy.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

ChaosRisk is the one true run-opener. Pure Chaos is for later :colbert:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

agradine posted:

At its worst it's still miles better than the PSX version.

I could not disagree more. There's a lot of other bizarre changes that basically boil down to "No fun allowed." There's things like hugely nerfing certain attacks like Beastmaster's releases so Yellow Dragon/Zuu can't hit heavy targets, making it so Chemist's mixes can miss, making Shinryu immune to blind/berserk, and even bizarre things like removing Defender's ability to cast Protect when used as an item,

I understand that the Steam/mobile version fixed a lot of bugs, some that are beneficial, but I can see the argument that it wasn't supposed to be like that (things like W2 Exdeath having Regen again, !Calm not working on non-magic beasts, I'll even grant Omniscient being able to cast Return through berserk), but the things I mentioned were not bugs and seem to only have been changed because "You're not playing the game the way we want you to" which is a really lovely move.

And, as has been mentioned, there are some team compositions for which it's actually impossible to beat the game on the Steam/mobile versions simply because of these awful changes.

I'll give credit where it's due. The enemy sprites look fantastic, even if the PC sprites look like rear end, and they legitimately made some cool changes such as Geomancer being able to use any !Gaia skill rather than having many of them locked behind levels that no sane human being would ever reach in a normal playthrough of the game (although this change does make them more useless in many boss battles since a lot of the high level ones have instant death effects which every boss is immune to, whereas lower level ones at least usually do some damage), but overall I feel (and most people here would probably agree) the Steam/mobile version is far worse than any other version of the game. Yeah, loading times of several seconds simply to go into the menu is really annoying but I'd take that any day over the terrible mechanics changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Twelve by Pies posted:

I could not disagree more. There's a lot of other bizarre changes that basically boil down to "No fun allowed." There's things like hugely nerfing certain attacks like Beastmaster's releases so Yellow Dragon/Zuu can't hit heavy targets, making it so Chemist's mixes can miss, making Shinryu immune to blind/berserk, and even bizarre things like removing Defender's ability to cast Protect when used as an item,

I understand that the Steam/mobile version fixed a lot of bugs, some that are beneficial, but I can see the argument that it wasn't supposed to be like that (things like W2 Exdeath having Regen again, !Calm not working on non-magic beasts, I'll even grant Omniscient being able to cast Return through berserk), but the things I mentioned were not bugs and seem to only have been changed because "You're not playing the game the way we want you to" which is a really lovely move.

And, as has been mentioned, there are some team compositions for which it's actually impossible to beat the game on the Steam/mobile versions simply because of these awful changes.

I'll give credit where it's due. The enemy sprites look fantastic, even if the PC sprites look like rear end, and they legitimately made some cool changes such as Geomancer being able to use any !Gaia skill rather than having many of them locked behind levels that no sane human being would ever reach in a normal playthrough of the game (although this change does make them more useless in many boss battles since a lot of the high level ones have instant death effects which every boss is immune to, whereas lower level ones at least usually do some damage), but overall I feel (and most people here would probably agree) the Steam/mobile version is far worse than any other version of the game. Yeah, loading times of several seconds simply to go into the menu is really annoying but I'd take that any day over the terrible mechanics changes.

This is all fantastic and a decent argument about it sucking, but I don't really see how any of that makes it worse than "Loading screen for opening the menu".

Like, you are comparing "Cool glitches got changed, it sucks" to "Insanely aggravating to play at a basic level"

• Locked thread