Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish homeless people wouldnt spray their violent poo all over the train station escalators, resulting in the escalators never loving working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I wish there was a functioning social security system so there wouldn't be homeless people, or the need to beg for food.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's a pet peeve? My problem is solved if they used the public restrooms available everywhere. making GBS threads in elevators and stairs is something else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Shopping peeve: slow shoppers, and the fact that they always seem parked in front of the few things I'm at the store to get. You've been staring at the pasta sauces for a solid 5 minutes. Just pick one, please. I've circled the aisles twice already and you're still there. Deciding between basil or bolognese sauce is not a life or death decision.
Just say "excuse me" and ask them to move so you can get whatever you need?

Brawnfire posted:

My Swype or whatever worked amazingly on my last phone, and like absolute poo poo on my newer one.
My phone installed an update or something at some point that stopped it from recognising "imdb" as a word so now I have to tap each letter separately or it writes "omen" instead. :argh:

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm reading through this thread and really wanted to highlight this
I was wrong about him winning, but I was absolutely 100% right about comedy shows focusing so much time on him being tedious and not funny. His skin's not orange, his hair's not that weird, everyone does the exact same impression of him and we've all seen it a million times. Get some new loving material or move on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Trump provides endless new material to make fun of every week. It's not changing as long as he keeps doing that. The only bigger news in the world is people blowing up and you can't really make fun of that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

That's a pet peeve? My problem is solved if they used the public restrooms available everywhere. making GBS threads in elevators and stairs is something else.

The way europeans do it annoys me (at least germany/switzerland) where most public restrooms that aren't in places that require you to be a customer cost 50 cents to access. It just encourages people to piss everywhere and makes every major train station smell like stale piss.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Peeves about pooping...

I hate when I go to use the single stall bathroom at work and suddenly every chucklefuck in the office suddenly needs to use it also...cue lots of knocking and doorknob jiggling. Leave me alone, I'm trying to poop!!

I also hate it when I'm at home and someone takes a big smelly poo, and then leaves the bathroom door wide open so the gross poo smell wafts through the whole area. Animals!

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Thrifting Day! posted:

When auto correct changes perfectly legitimate words for no apparent reason.

Earlier it changed 'design' to 'decision' and 'apparently' to 'attacking'

?

I'm constantly getting this as well. My tablet is also inconsistent about correcting things and sometimes appears to be somehow resisting my attempts to delete a character​ typed in error. Other tablet peeves:

- the volume control not responding because it is too busy trying to load the thing whose(?) volume I want to change

- the back or stop browser buttons not working because it's too busy trying to do the thing I want to stop.

- tabs still being there when I reopen Chrome. There does not seem to be an option to get rid of this and I keep forgetting to manually close the tabs myself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

genetic_knockout posted:

Peeves about pooping...

I hate when I go to use the single stall bathroom at work and suddenly every chucklefuck in the office suddenly needs to use it also...cue lots of knocking and doorknob jiggling. Leave me alone, I'm trying to poop!!

Someone jiggled the knob twice while I was pooping. Twice! What information did that first jiggle fail to convey?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
At work this obviously wealthy lady came in with her 2 kids, who were just running around like little out-of-control assholes. I went to the bathroom and was using it and these kids started KICKING THE DOOR. I yelled "cut it out" super loud but they didn't stop. When I got out the kids were still running around, and of course mom said nothing to the kids. No "stop it" etc. And these weren't toddlers, they were 6-8.

Peeve: parents (95% of the time rich people) who don't discipline their kids and just let them do whatever. I don't mean discipline like hit them I mean saying "stop" when they do something wrong like kicking the door of a bathroom.

Peeve 2: myself when I write too many words. I can't help it :(

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tiggum posted:

I was wrong about him winning, but I was absolutely 100% right about comedy shows focusing so much time on him being tedious and not funny. His skin's not orange, his hair's not that weird, everyone does the exact same impression of him and we've all seen it a million times. Get some new loving material or move on.

Part of the reason they do that is because he's been known to obsess and get angry over people making fun of him. The small hands thing started, for example, from one article in the 1980s that he obsessed about. To the point where he traced his hands in gold Sharpie and sent it to the reporter and then harped about how he didn't have small hands. Which carried over to the campaign. Something one person said thirty years ago he brought up during a Presidential campaign. Yeah, it's the comedians who have the problem.

He's a bully and it's a way for those who were bullied, which many in the comedy field probably were, to get revenge.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
All those comedy shows that portray caricatures of people like SNL are not funny to anyone and are stupid and comedy is stupid and pointless how can anyone like to laugh

Am I doing this right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thrifting Day! posted:

When auto correct changes perfectly legitimate words for no apparent reason.

Earlier it changed 'design' to 'decision' and 'apparently' to 'attacking'

?

yes.

funnily my iPhone once autosuggested the words: "Chang," "Chain," and "Chained" instead of the word "changed" when I was trying to type it one handed. I thought it would get it because of context. I don't know anyone named "Chang"

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Thin Privilege posted:

All those comedy shows that portray caricatures of people like SNL are not funny to anyone and are stupid and comedy is stupid and pointless how can anyone like to laugh

Am I doing this right?

This but unironically.

Pet peeve: people who post "This but unironically"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Laughter is for dumb people, smart and enlightened people are always unemotional like Data on Star Trek.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thin Privilege posted:

Laughter is for dumb people, smart and enlightened people are always unemotional like Data on Star Trek.

Hell, same

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

More like oldjoyless.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Data ruined the depiction of androids in movies/tv. Every actor thinks androids need to act like Data.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Data ruined the depiction of androids in movies/tv. Every actor thinks androids need to act like Data.

And on the other side we have Transformers, who not only laughed, but were sarcastic, could joke, etc.

Peeve: when you're typing and get interrupted by someone who won't shut up, who can see you're busy, and is not offering any good information. Bonus points if you have to correct a word or two because you are thinking what to type and they keep talking louder so it all mixes up. Of course they have to comment on that too. Times like this they are loving lucky this is not a wireless keyboard or they'd be eating it.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Mu Zeta posted:

I just watched 'The Offspring' and they make a big deal about Data's dumb daughter Lal being able to use contractions, as it's something Data's programming 'has never been able to master'. Oh yeah? You can't figure out how to use contractions, but the electromagtic thermo coupling variance of the Boson-Higgs tachyon emitters is no problem? I got a contraction for you, Data.. birthing contractions that are getting closer together because I'm about to birth you a new brain! Eat a bag of dicks, Data!! And that's my pet peeve!

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Trying to do food shopping with other people in the shops. I don't know what the gently caress peoples problem is but it's like nobody has any spacial awareness of any type, all the time there are people walking in front of me, swinging shopping trolleys wildly around without looking, stepping back from a shelf without looking it drives me loving insane. How are people this blind and not dead!?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tarantula posted:

Trying to do food shopping with other people in the shops. I don't know what the gently caress peoples problem is but it's like nobody has any spacial awareness of any type, all the time there are people walking in front of me, swinging shopping trolleys wildly around without looking, stepping back from a shelf without looking it drives me loving insane. How are people this blind and not dead!?

They're not blind, they just don't give a gently caress. You notice it more in the market because there're no likely consequence to their selfishness. They're less likely to treat a highway full of semi trucks, for example, like their own private island, because they're more likely to be crushed to death if they do. But in a shop? gently caress everybody else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I resent that my family can't sit down for a meal together without my mum sniping at my dad about his weight. It's obnoxious; if it was just the two of them eating together that would be fine but it's not how I want to spend my mealtimes listening to. But at the same time, I resent how my dad has gotten to the point where he just blows off any kind of comment - no matter how sensitive or friendly - about his weight when he is obese and at an age when he's at a high risk of diabetes or coronary problems. :shrug:

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
My roommate is super broke all the time and eats pasta with cheap tomato sauce for basically every meal. She also leaves her dishes everywhere without even trying to rinse them, so every single pot, fork and bowl in the house is constantly crusted over with old dried tomato sauce. When it's time for her next meal, she'll go in and wash only what she needs, one pot, bowl & fork, and immediately use them and leave them to get all crusty again. :argh:

She was a chef for several years and is weirdly obsessive about keeping her knives sharp and poo poo like that, but is totally fine with leaving the kitchen a nasty pit of squalor. It's maddening! Especially since I've recently been making an effort to eat better and make lunches to take to work, and it's really loving hard to do when every counter is covered in gross dishes, and the stovetop is crusted in old sauce splashes and burnt noodles.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

When someone says something and you couldn't quite hear them, so you say "Pardon?" and they repeat themselves even quieter than before. I don't understand it at all. Hate to break it to you apparently nervous guy, the quieter you get, the more you'll be asked to repeat yourself.

On that note, I get asked a lot if I'm nervous. You see, I have very shaky hands. I always have. I get it from my mom, who got it from my grandfather. It's not so bad when I explain that to people, but sometimes you get the assholes who constantly bring it up or berate you when you're drinking a cup of coffee. Like "You're already so shaky, do you think you really need that?"
The worst time was when I was in school for culinary arts. Twice a week we would open the dining room to the public, kind of like a training restaurant. It was great practice, but we had to take turns being servers. I was filling up a guy's water glass, and he said "Need another drink there, buddy?" gently caress you, dick. Maybe I have MS or Parkinson's or something. I don't, but he doesn't know. To just jump to the assumption that I'm an alcoholic... man that annoyed me.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 17:17 on May 31, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

yo rear end is grass posted:

When someone says something and you couldn't quite hear them, so you say "Pardon?" and they repeat themselves even quieter than before. I don't understand it at all. Hate to break it to you apparently nervous guy, the quieter you get, the more you'll be asked to repeat yourself.

What drives me nuts is that my wife was raised in a family with two hard-of-hearing members; when they said "what?" She would rephrase entirely because maybe the sounds she used were difficult to parse audibly.

When I ask her "what?" Its because I missed a word, or part of the sentence. When she rephrases entirely, I sit there like "uhhh... that's not what I heard you say at all??"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

On that note, I get asked a lot if I'm nervous. You see, I have very shaky hands. I always have. I get it from my mom, who got it from my grandfather. It's not so bad when I explain that to people, but sometimes you get the assholes who constantly bring it up or berate you when you're drinking a cup of coffee. Like "You're already so shaky, do you think you really need that?"
The worst time was when I was in school for culinary arts. Twice a week we would open the dining room to the public, kind of like a training restaurant. It was great practice, but we had to take turns being servers. I was filling up a guy's water glass, and he said "Need another drink there, buddy?" gently caress you, dick. Maybe I have MS or Parkinson's or something. I don't, but he doesn't know. To just jump to the assumption that I'm an alcoholic... man that annoyed me.

Sounds like Essential Tremor, aka Benign Familial Tremor.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Yup! Those run in my family too. I don't have them carry badly yet but my mom and grandma do, so it's only a matter of time. Not super bad, but annoying

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nettles Coterie posted:

My roommate is super broke all the time and eats pasta with cheap tomato sauce for basically every meal. She also leaves her dishes everywhere without even trying to rinse them, so every single pot, fork and bowl in the house is constantly crusted over with old dried tomato sauce. When it's time for her next meal, she'll go in and wash only what she needs, one pot, bowl & fork, and immediately use them and leave them to get all crusty again. :argh:

She was a chef for several years and is weirdly obsessive about keeping her knives sharp and poo poo like that, but is totally fine with leaving the kitchen a nasty pit of squalor. It's maddening! Especially since I've recently been making an effort to eat better and make lunches to take to work, and it's really loving hard to do when every counter is covered in gross dishes, and the stovetop is crusted in old sauce splashes and burnt noodles.

This is common with restaurant people, when you're cooking and prepping you rarely have time to clean up so the kitchen just gets nasty and then gets cleaned after closing. Like poo poo that gets dropped on the floor or on counters or whatever will just be left there for hours. The most you'll do during dinner is run something to the dish pit if it's physically in your way. If she was a proper chef and not a line cook she might not have even had to clean up, and got someone else to do it for her.

I was an alcoholic and hearing that might have put me into a panic attack. If someone's got visible tremors from a booze withdrawal they've probably got other nasty symptoms like severe anxiety, sweating, and nausea, in rare cases if they're a career hard drinker they might be in seizure risk within the next day or so if they don't get their fix or medical attention. That's a lovely thing to joke about.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My kids will nearly yell at each other while talking together, even if they're sitting right next to each other, especially if they're in the back of the car together. If they want to ask me a question though, especially if they're in the back of the car, they'll talk in a mouse like whisper and I have to practically berate them multiple times to speak up. Then I feel like poo poo if I lose my temper for having them speak at the same volume 5 times in a row.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

l was an alcoholic and hearing that might have put me into a panic attack. If someone's got visible tremors from a booze withdrawal they've probably got other nasty symptoms like severe anxiety, sweating, and nausea, in rare cases if they're a career hard drinker they might be in seizure risk within the next day or so if they don't get their fix or medical attention. That's a lovely thing to joke about.

A lot of people (probably most) don't know that and just think "lol dunks have shaky hands." That's a pet peeve, people who make fun of addicts or think it's a moral failing. It would be nice if people knew more about alcohol addiction and it's dangers past liver failure. Maybe if I had known more about it myself I wouldn't have become an alcoholic with seizures and "oh I just drank too much caffeine that's why my hands are shaking" or when the store clerk would laugh at me and the other alcoholics who would line up at 6:50 waiting for 7 am when liquor selling hours started. It's awkward now when he looks at me expecting to buy liquor when I'm not. It's not exactly funny or fun or a moral failure like so many people think.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thin Privilege posted:

A lot of people (probably most) don't know that and just think "lol dunks have shaky hands." That's a pet peeve, people who make fun of addicts or think it's a moral failing. It would be nice if people knew more about alcohol addiction and it's dangers past liver failure. Maybe if I had known more about it myself I wouldn't have become an alcoholic with seizures and "oh I just drank too much caffeine that's why my hands are shaking" or when the store clerk would laugh at me and the other alcoholics who would line up at 6:50 waiting for 7 am when liquor selling hours started. It's awkward now when he looks at me expecting to buy liquor when I'm not. It's not exactly funny or fun or a moral failure like so many people think.

Yeah, personal responsibility is definitely a factor in quitting an addiction, but the physical symptoms of stopping aren't well-known but it's still not seen by a lot of common folks as a medical issue or something that could happen to them. You don't just wake up one day and decide to have a 7am shot or three, it takes months or years and usually starts with innocent party drinking. By the time you come to terms with having a physical dependence the symptoms can be lovely enough that you prefer to just accept the drinking and get on with your day. I was only able to stop after getting admitted to the ER with heart-attack symptoms. An iv and some lorezapam to let me ride out the worst withdrawal phase plus a really helpful and supportive doc who treated me like a real patient when I was so ashamed of being a drunk and taking up a bed from someone who "really" needed it, finally got me off the stuff.

I think the physical effects of abuse, like you said beyond liver damage, being so unknown is also a big peeve of mine, and it's a much bigger reason people find it hard to quit than those who haven't been there often realize. Even non-life-threatening withdrawal can make you feel lovely enough to be barely functional and stopping, experiencing mild withdrawal, and then diving back into drink so you can sleep or calm your nerves or stop being constipated after you get through the acute phase is common and typically leads to more severe withdrawal the more times you experience it.

The most embarassing experience of my life was, a half day into swearing off drink after it lead to a lovely breakup, stumbling down the street to the wine store, drenched in sweat and hands so shaky I could barely insert the debit card. I was having a panic attack and my heart felt like it would explode. The wine was enough to make me at least able to sit and watch netflix instead of pacing and contemplating 911. Then as I cut down on it I got to experience hallucinations at night for a good week afterwards, and that plus insomia got me back onto the booze train for another 8 months because it all sucked so hard. Being a functional alcoholic was, for a while, a better life than being a sweating, panicked freakshow.

My namesake author probably did not die from stumbling around the streets having a booze withdrawal like some theorize but it does happen, especially to the homeless or lowest class, and from my experiences it would be one of the scariest ways to go. I would not wish DTs on my worst enemy.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sociopastry posted:

Yup! Those run in my family too. I don't have them carry badly yet but my mom and grandma do, so it's only a matter of time. Not super bad, but annoying

My aunt had to quit her job as a nurse because of hers, as it turns out there are few things as terrifying as someone with a severe essential tremor coming at you with a needle.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Not looking forward to them getting worse as I get older- I like to draw and shaky hands isn't super good for that.

On the plus side I'm gonna be the most boss when it comes to musical instruments you shake so there's that.

Pet peeve: people who don't know how to cook telling me, a person who can cook, how to cook. You don't even know how to make mac n cheese why are you telling me how to cook

it's always my lovely family members who eat like toddlers, too. I'm not burning the gently caress out of this steak, you can deal or order dominos I don't really care.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hope you had plenty of ketchup and steak sauce for those steaks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People on twitter that pin tweets. I hate having to scroll past your super funny tweet from several years ago to find out if you tweeted anything new lately.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I cohost a podcast and I always keep the most recent episode pinned. :shobon: If this breaks Twitter etiquette though, I'd like to know, because we don't have any followers and I would like for us to have more.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I cohost a podcast and I always keep the most recent episode pinned. :shobon: If this breaks Twitter etiquette though, I'd like to know, because we don't have any followers and I would like for us to have more.

Don't pay attention to me for anything involving proper etiquette...many many things that annoy nobody else drive me nuts. You're probably fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's like buying a band t-shirt at their concert and wearing it at said concert. It only annoys a select few people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but people who are lovely at asking questions.

This lady in my networking club was giving a presentation about essential oils.

The woman behind me pipes up.

:stonk: "I've been using essential oils for over twenty five years and the last time I used peppermint oil, my cat started frothing at the mouth, so I went online and I found out that peppermint oil is really bad for cats-

:) Yes it's important to do your research-

:stonk: "I've been using essential oils for over twenty five years and this was the first time that happened and I finally came to realize that after applying the oil, I pet my cat and that must have caused the reaction. Good thing I looked online, or I would have been really concerned and taken him to the vet-

And this went on and on and on and ate up the presenter's entire allotted time. How hard is it to wait to ask a question and keep it on point?