Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thwomp posted:

I had a Surface Pro 4 briefly and I didn't like using it for Plex. Windows 10, while perfectly serviceable as a touch interface, is still built around the stylus/precision input. I'd tap things in the Windows Plex app and miss the "target" by just a bit even though it was within the ui button.

it's perfectly serviceable though if the SP4 meets your other needs. I just find the iOS version superior as a tablet interface.

Did you use the Windows Store Plex app? Or Plex Media Player? The Windows Store Plex app is garbage. I'd imagine the "TV" interface that you can switch to in Plex Media Player would work great on a touch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I used the Windows Store app yeah.

But my criticism extends to the rest of Windows 10. I just found the whole touch interface to require far more precision than iOS does which really hampered my overall tablet experience with the SP4. Loved the device as a piece of hardware though.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

teagone posted:

What's the issue? I've always had a Plex Employee or Plex Ninja respond my my threads on the forums.

Reporting bugs in DVR Beta, but they just sit there with a handful of views. No confirmation that plex employees actually saw them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

xarph posted:

Reporting bugs in DVR Beta, but they just sit there with a handful of views. No confirmation that plex employees actually saw them.

Had that happen to me too. I just assumed it was a "ah it's beta so whatev" mentality.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

teagone posted:

But a Surface 4 Pro running Plex Media Player (not the app from the Windows App Store) would likely require zero transcoding.

You'd be better off with Kodi in that scenario unless you wanted remote streaming/syncing.

Ipads are still the best Plex tablets IMHO. Also the best tablets. Granted, "best tablet" is something of a low bar these days but it does what it needs to do well and they even have a reasonably cheap/good one out now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have a win10 laptop that I just got the windows store app to try on.

Is there any way to download something to this like I would on my phone? I can't seem to find one (And I kinda doubt it as it's a bit niche). That's basically the only reason I'd use it. I'm about to take a work trip so this would be pretty nice.

edit: Oh hey, I found it. It's a down arrow at the bottom of the window that says "sync" when you mouse over it. Not sure how I missed it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 13, 2017

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Ixian posted:

You'd be better off with Kodi in that scenario unless you wanted remote streaming/syncing.

Ipads are still the best Plex tablets IMHO. Also the best tablets. Granted, "best tablet" is something of a low bar these days but it does what it needs to do well and they even have a reasonably cheap/good one out now.

Wouldn't the "best Plex tablet" likely have a 16:9 aspect ratio, not 4:3, if the main intention of the tablet is for Plex?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Godinster posted:

Wouldn't the "best Plex tablet" likely have a 16:9 aspect ratio, not 4:3, if the main intention of the tablet is for Plex?

Depends on a lot of things. Like there being a 16x9 tablet that does Plex as well as the iPad/iOS (there isn't) or if most/all the content you watch is 1:78/1:85 - though I'd argue those aspect ratios, common for TV shows and many films respectively, are perfectly fine with 4:3 aspect ratio screens, and really 2:35 or higher films is where a 16x9 tablet would benefit.

You can find 16x9 Android tablets, but in my opinion Android tablets are pretty much poo poo, even for just using Plex, and I prefer using an iPad. The client is experience better as is the player, and the iPad screen is generally higher quality, though there are exceptions in Android land to that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I used to have a nexus 10 which was 16x9 and it was great for plex but that was several years ago and it's a bit old now.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Ixian posted:

Depends on a lot of things. Like there being a 16x9 tablet that does Plex as well as the iPad/iOS (there isn't) or if most/all the content you watch is 1:78/1:85 - though I'd argue those aspect ratios, common for TV shows and many films respectively, are perfectly fine with 4:3 aspect ratio screens, and really 2:35 or higher films is where a 16x9 tablet would benefit.

You can find 16x9 Android tablets, but in my opinion Android tablets are pretty much poo poo, even for just using Plex, and I prefer using an iPad. The client is experience better as is the player, and the iPad screen is generally higher quality, though there are exceptions in Android land to that.

Is the iOS proper app better than the Apple TV one? I found the Apple TV app pretty awful compared to the Android TV/Shield one and I've had great luck with the Plex Android App phone app, I'm curious if the iOS Tablet app is better than the Apple TV and/or the Android tablet + Android TV one.

I need a new tablet soon and the only thing holding me back is the 4:3 aspect ratio of an iPad, though the newer Android tablets are often 4:3 too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Godinster posted:

Is the iOS proper app better than the Apple TV one? I found the Apple TV app pretty awful compared to the Android TV/Shield one and I've had great luck with the Plex Android App phone app, I'm curious if the iOS Tablet app is better than the Apple TV and/or the Android tablet + Android TV one.

I need a new tablet soon and the only thing holding me back is the 4:3 aspect ratio of an iPad, though the newer Android tablets are often 4:3 too.

Outside of the Apple TV not being able to passthrough DTS, DTS-HD, or TrueHD audio streams, the Plex app on the Apple TV is imo the best looking/functioning Plex app that's a lot easier to navigate than the current "Universal UI" you see on the "full screen TV" Plex Media Player view and Roku/Smart TV platforms. I think the Plex dev team is also working on porting a version of their Apple TV UI to be the new Plex UI standard across all platforms. This was hinted at with the Plex for Kodi release, since the Plex Kodi install looks pretty much just like the Apple TV UI. What did you find awful about it?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Not being able to do DTS passthrough was where I decided it was garbage. Also the performance vs the Shield TV app wasn't terribly impressive.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If someone wanted a tablet just for Plex, I'd tell them to buy a Galaxy Tab S2. It's noticeably lighter than an iPad, the screen is OLED compared to the iPad's IPS display that makes black levels look gray in the dark, and it can often be found at a significant discount. It was $300 routinely last year. The 8" one is especially light and easy to hold for long periods of time, but doesn't get OS updates as frequently as the 10".

I see no difference between the OSes when it comes to Plex running Plex, and in fact until fall/winter 2015 the Android version was frequently better. I'm not going to get into an OS war but if you're just running Plex on the thing it won't matter. If you really want to know where I'm coming from, my own personal tablet is an iPad Pro 9.7, but it's my primary internet device for weeks/months of a year.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 15, 2017

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What is the best plex server hardware platform that doesn't require a whole PC? I'm done running servers at home, but am good with any power conscious dedicated box that will occasionally create optimized files, but mostly stream to Chromecast.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

porkface posted:

What is the best plex server hardware platform that doesn't require a whole PC? I'm done running servers at home, but am good with any power conscious dedicated box that will occasionally create optimized files, but mostly stream to Chromecast.

Your choices are pretty much narrowed down to the nVidia Shield TV or WD My Cloud Pro (PR2100, PR4100) then. Or Plex Cloud I guess.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Craptacular! posted:

If someone wanted a tablet just for Plex, I'd tell them to buy a Galaxy Tab S2. It's noticeably lighter than an iPad, the screen is OLED compared to the iPad's IPS display that makes black levels look gray in the dark, and it can often be found at a significant discount. It was $300 routinely last year. The 8" one is especially light and easy to hold for long periods of time, but doesn't get OS updates as frequently as the 10".

I see no difference between the OSes when it comes to Plex running Plex, and in fact until fall/winter 2015 the Android version was frequently better. I'm not going to get into an OS war but if you're just running Plex on the thing it won't matter. If you really want to know where I'm coming from, my own personal tablet is an iPad Pro 9.7, but it's my primary internet device for weeks/months of a year.

Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Craptacular! posted:

Does the tablet version of Plex allow me to sync like the iPhone one does? Maybe I'll find a cheap one as we're going away for a bit and I can't sync anything to my laptop.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does the tablet version of Plex allow me to sync like the iPhone one does? Maybe I'll find a cheap one as we're going away for a bit and I can't sync anything to my laptop.

Sync is a Plex Pass feature. It'll work on either so long as you have a paid subscription.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do, so that's neat. It's a shame they've never implemented it into the desktop app but I guess that might be down to the original architecture and being a pain to add.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you have access to the windows store on your desktop you could maybe use that app to sync.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it does. I just got myself a Tab S2 and it syncs to SD card too which is really nice with the files being so large.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Is there a decent way to add arbitrary files to a TV season? I can't seem to find any kind of option for that.

For reference, the seasons for Adventure Time are a complete mess. There are little mini-seasons interspersed into the middle of them, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get Plex to put things in the correct order.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Is there a decent way to add arbitrary files to a TV season? I can't seem to find any kind of option for that.

For reference, the seasons for Adventure Time are a complete mess. There are little mini-seasons interspersed into the middle of them, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get Plex to put things in the correct order.

Find your show/season on http://thetvdb.com/ and rename your files accordingly. That should remedy any issues with Plex not being able to scrape proper metadata.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you use Sonarr, it'll take your probably normally laid out files, run them through TheXEM and translate them into the insanity of TheTVDB.

An issue I always spotted with animated stuff is that the files will have the 'as aired 2 episodes' while TVDB will consider each episode a separate entity.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you use Sonarr, it'll take your probably normally laid out files, run them through TheXEM and translate them into the insanity of TheTVDB.

An issue I always spotted with animated stuff is that the files will have the 'as aired 2 episodes' while TVDB will consider each episode a separate entity.
Yup, that's a big part of it. And the episodes that are paired together aren't even always in the order they're in on TVDB.

I started ripping them apart last night, but that's not a process I look forward to. I'll take a look at this Sonarr thing, thanks.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm still surprised no one has taken the guts of the musicbrainz project and made it a TV database. Then you could just embed a UUID string in the file and be done with it in every conceivable language and format.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I use FileBot for renaming. It's a little hard to find the link to their github or whatever because they want you to buy it on Windows Store and give them some money, but the free version is lurking on their site if you look hard enough.

I couldn't figure out Sonarr, it seems to be geared to the usenet/piracy crowd the same way Sickbeard et al were. Most of my Plex library is recorded on PVR software, I did not want to have to wrestle this acquisition tool for renaming files I acquired in other ways.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

When you sync files with Plex, are they encrypted or anything or are they just copies of the original with the same filename and file type?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

When you sync files with Plex, are they encrypted or anything or are they just copies of the original with the same filename and file type?

They aren't encrypted. They might be transcoded to work on your device, and they're named by some id that isn't meant to be human-understandable, though it does keep the appropriate extension.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Syncing kinda seems like a mess. I can access the regular movies I synced to my phone from my kids account which should only be able to see its own curated libraries.

I also synced about 10 albums, but I can only see them as synced when I'm on my local network, which kinda defeats the point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

odiv posted:

Syncing kinda seems like a mess. I can access the regular movies I synced to my phone from my kids account which should only be able to see its own curated libraries.

I also synced about 10 albums, but I can only see them as synced when I'm on my local network, which kinda defeats the point.

That doesn't seem right at all. Which devices are having this issues with sync?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ali Aces posted:

They aren't encrypted. They might be transcoded to work on your device, and they're named by some id that isn't meant to be human-understandable, though it does keep the appropriate extension.

Thanks. Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on premium tonight!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

Thanks. Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on premium tonight!

Every tv show or movie I sync to, for example, Dropbox, so I can import them to Kodi when I am on the road (like I am now) is named "file.mp4" and buried in a maze of subfolders with obscure ids. Emby doesn't do this but that is how Plex works. It can make manually renaming stuff a pain for Kodi.

I'd use the Plex Client and stream directly from Dropbox except that has never worked for me and also won't work if I am offline (like on a plane) of course.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

teagone posted:

That doesn't seem right at all. Which devices are having this issues with sync?
This is on my android phone.

The kids account should only have access to the "kids TV" and "kids movies" libraries, but they are able to see the two regular movies I synced on this device before I left for a work trip. I found this out when I was checking all accounts looking for the music that I was sure I had synced before I left.

edit: oh hey, same issue on the windows store app. I had synced some episodes of the expanse to watch and I can get to them from the kids account. *shrug*

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 25, 2017

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else have an issue with Android and synced playlist music tracks? About 40% of my synced tracks cut off about halfway through in my truck's stereo. They play fine on a desktop. I don't know if it's Plex, my Nexus 6p, or my vehicle causing the issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

odiv posted:

This is on my android phone.

The kids account should only have access to the "kids TV" and "kids movies" libraries, but they are able to see the two regular movies I synced on this device before I left for a work trip. I found this out when I was checking all accounts looking for the music that I was sure I had synced before I left.

edit: oh hey, same issue on the windows store app. I had synced some episodes of the expanse to watch and I can get to them from the kids account. *shrug*

I guess account restrictions don't take local media into consideration, unless that's an option to restrict somewhere under the kids account settings maybe?

As an aside, looks like the next step for Plex DVR is Plex Live TV: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6egxnb/plex_launching_live_tv_and_more_soon/

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this cable cutting stuff. Assuming Plex Live TV works the way I think it does, can I install a USB HDTV tuner in my HTPC, hook up one of those cheapo flat antennas to it, and get Live OTA broadcast HDTV through Plex? Or would I need one of those HomeRunHD tuners?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 31, 2017

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
The new (Plexpass at the moment) automatic quality setting on Android/IOS works really, really well. My home connection is only 1Mb upload, and I'm not having any buffering at all in a hotel halfway across the country for the first time ever. Normally I had to​ set it to potato quality to ensure continuity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

teagone posted:

I guess account restrictions don't take local media into consideration, unless that's an option to restrict somewhere under the kids account settings maybe?

As an aside, looks like the next step for Plex DVR is Plex Live TV: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6egxnb/plex_launching_live_tv_and_more_soon/

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this cable cutting stuff. Assuming Plex Live TV works the way I think it does, can I install a USB HDTV tuner in my HTPC, hook up one of those cheapo flat antennas to it, and get Live OTA broadcast HDTV through Plex? Or would I need one of those HomeRunHD tuners?

PlexDVR seems to only work with HDHR tuners, but according to the link they're expanding tuner support.

Pretty pumped that they're adding it, though. It was definitely a missing piece.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Very nice! Need to test this out to see if it's going to be better than using Kodi for my HomerunHD. Not currently a plex pass subscriber so would be an added cost, but potentially a worthwhile one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
And here I thought having a Plex library and a cable subscription were mutually exclusive.