Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd say it's more supernatural than not, just by going by who and what Kevin sees during his experiences.

Like I said earlier: His afterlife experiences are ambiguous because he never meets anyone that he doesn't already know is dead(or in a coma) and he only learns things about himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

UmOk posted:

Like I said earlier: His afterlife experiences are ambiguous because he never meets anyone that he doesn't already know is dead(or in a coma) and he only learns things about himself.

Counterpoint, however possibly minor: Seeing his father in the tv. Not just the fact that he saw his dad (I can't remember if it's the first time it's mentioned that he went to Australia, so there might be that), but the flaming mattress part. Again, super small, but it's a thing that was unknown to Kevin Jr that he saw.

Plus, there's the fact that he is 'dead' many times and just comes back to life. I know you can be resuscitated but that doesn't look to be what's going on here.

Also, the bird in the forest coming back.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He saw Christopher Sunday in a TV too. I don't think Sr. had a photo of Sunday, and Sunday mentioned how he already told Kevin Sr. that his song brings the rain, which I also doubt Sr. passed on to Kevin. But it did seem like outside of that, everything was taking place in Kevin's head.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, beside the obvious examples which demonstrate that it doesn't, everything takes place in Kevin's head.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Cool, glad to know I'm not allowed to have opinions about TV in the TV forum

Nobody said you couldn't have horrible, bad tastes and opinions and share them here. Go hog wild.

WE DOIN IT NOW
Jun 18, 2005

Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon.

UmOk posted:

Kevin never met the Australian Sheriff Kevin and also never met Cristopher Sunday. Yet there they were in the hotel world/afterlife.

I forget if he saw a news report or not on the sheriff but I know he's never shown seeing a picture or meeting Christopher Sunday.

Edit: Ok he apparently did see Sunday. I must Have missed that somewhere.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Yes, beside the obvious examples which demonstrate that it doesn't, everything takes place in Kevin's head.

Thank god you're here to explain this show to morans liek me!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

Kevin never met the Australian Sheriff Kevin and also never met Cristopher Sunday. Yet there they were in the hotel world/afterlife.

I forget if he saw a news report or not on the sheriff but I know he's never shown seeing a picture or meeting Christopher Sunday.

Edit: Ok he apparently did see Sunday. I must Have missed that somewhere.

Kevin Sr. showed Kevin Jr. the body of Australian Sheriff Kevin.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

joepinetree posted:

Kevin Sr. showed Kevin Jr. the body of Australian Sheriff Kevin.

He also Sheriff Kevin when the TV in his hotel room turned on and the first thing he heard was something like "BAD NEWS IF YOUR NAME IS KEVIN"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

oliwan posted:

This is actually something Lindelof seems to love, retaining ambiguity. Like, he had that one palm reader last season and a lot of people were like, Ah, that's definitely something mystical, so he made a point to show John and Laurie running a palm reading scam this season. I don't really think ambiguity for ambiguity's sake is all that great. But so the show will do something like have Kevin definitely seem to be in a sort of afterlife in s2 and then try to walk it back a bit here for the sake of keeping the nature of his abilities ambiguous

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Never mind.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol apparently I'm a spoopy fyad boogeyman because I point out that the plot developments past the book material are hackish at best and completely contrary to everything good about the first season

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fast Luck posted:

This is actually something Lindelof seems to love, retaining ambiguity. Like, he had that one palm reader last season and a lot of people were like, Ah, that's definitely something mystical, so he made a point to show John and Laurie running a palm reading scam this season. I don't really think ambiguity for ambiguity's sake is all that great. But so the show will do something like have Kevin definitely seem to be in a sort of afterlife in s2 and then try to walk it back a bit here for the sake of keeping the nature of his abilities ambiguous

well yes, this is also what we like to call

purestrain Lindelof trash.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

lol apparently I'm a spoopy fyad boogeyman because I point out that the plot developments past the book material are hackish at best and completely contrary to everything good about the first season
Season 2 was extremely good though, and reducing Kevin's ability to avoid death to "he's Jesus now" is stupid. The setting, the new characters with the Evie storyline, the muddy line between where Kevin's mental illness stopped and potential supernatural abilities began, and the character relationships, it was all good to me

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I saw S2 after S3 had been airing, so I knew they'd do something dumb to get them all to Australia. So instead of following a decently interesting GR plot with the revolt against the gatekeeping of salvation, they nuked all of it, had a flash forward and then made Kevin a police chief again so they could do that dumb Too Many Kevins bit. Him being chief was central to the plot of the first season, but doesn't do anything for the plot after that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nah but it is baffling why you and oliwan watched 10 hours of season 2 you didn't like then started season 3 and realized it was basically the same as season 2 then still watched 7 hours then came into a thread right before the series finale to talk about how everything sucks repeatedly. Like go ahead and discuss whatever you want but FYI the people still in the thread literally 96% of the way through the series are fans and are going to react to you saying stuff sucks 4 days before the end of it.

At least your posts tho are 100 times better than oliwan who was updating us week to week about how dumb and bad he thought it was "but I guess I'll still watch the next 6 hours anyway" while repeatedly and embarrassingly appealing to his own authority with his MA in literature

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kevin is not Jesus 2.0. There might or might not be something supernatural going on with him, but that doesn't make him a messiah or prophet. Matt& Co. have absolutely no reason to believe that the departure is related to abrahamic religions or that Kevin has some greater purpose in life. I mean, "God" came back from the dead just like Kevin, and he was just some random jerk who got eaten by a lion. Matt and the others are simply obsessed and crazy, making poo poo up. Seeing patters where there are none.

This has been one of the major themes of the show. Yes, a one-time(?) supernatural event happened in the world, but that doesn't legitimize all the dumb snake oil people have been paddling to each other for he last ten thousand years. Like, in our world, a christian might sincerely believe that god walked the earth 2000 years ago, but that doesn't mean that all these dumb bleeding virgin Mary statues are anything but bullshit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, exactly. They're all hopped up on the idea that the seven year anniversary of the Departure is going to be a big deal, but this is based on absolutely nothing but a collective gut feeling. It's mass delusion.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

When this is all over I'm putting on a bullet proof vest and blasting speed metal. Anybody want to volunteer for the other half of this?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

When this is all over I'm putting on a bullet proof vest and blasting speed metal. Anybody want to volunteer for the other half of this?

*Raises paw*

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

I saw S2 after S3 had been airing, so I knew they'd do something dumb to get them all to Australia. So instead of following a decently interesting GR plot with the revolt against the gatekeeping of salvation, they nuked all of it, had a flash forward and then made Kevin a police chief again so they could do that dumb Too Many Kevins bit. Him being chief was central to the plot of the first season, but doesn't do anything for the plot after that.

I'm honestly not asking this to antagonize, but what shows do you enjoy?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm betting Fear the Walking Dead

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I figured Kevin regressing back to his down-home police chief persona was kind of thematically on point in a show mainly about people futilely trying to get their old lives back despite batshit crazy things happening to them. It's A Good Show, people.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I don't know what a "spoopy fyad boogeyman" is but you are certainly the type that spite-watches things you don't like so you can complain about them.

Like, I really don't like Orange is the New Black. I watched 2 episodes and realised this. I didn't feel the need to watch the rest of them so I could go on something awful dot com and rant about how bad it is.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Good Place, Veep, Better Call Saul, lots of shows

I think The Good Place is a really great foil to The Leftovers. Schur had an extremely clear vision of what he wanted to do with the first season and the plot developments (one in particular) were done really really effectively and with almost zero meandering. I think season one of Leftovers was up to that vision and I really liked it. Season two had high points, but got really tonally uneven, characters and plots were totally forgotten, and the score was mostly swapped out for terrible musical cues to accompany the often wild tonal shifts. I stopped watching it but then people here were saying how good s3 was, so I finished the season and found out that this one wasn't much better and now I'm waiting for some sort of decent ending, so joke's on me I guess.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

I figured Kevin regressing back to his down-home police chief persona was kind of thematically on point in a show mainly about people futilely trying to get their old lives back despite batshit crazy things happening to them. It's A Good Show, people.

Now that makes sense, but he was never like "I need to be a cop because it's who I am and not being a cop is hurting me", that was all explained suddenly after the time jump. It also makes less sense because Kevin doesn't have a particularly deep connection to Miracle unlike his hometown and fulfilling the lost legacy of his father. Like it was a socially-segregated place full of the same charlatans like the goat guy where people were willing to murder him and his family in service of and because of that division. Like I just don't understand how a guy feels driven to serve those kinds of people, especially after he'd lost connection to his father.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Like I just don't understand how a guy feels driven to serve those kinds of people, especially after he'd lost connection to his father.

Well maybe the fact that he was willing to just hop on a plane to Australia on the eve of what will surely be a tumultuous anniversary, leaving said people without a police chief when they need it the most, is meant to demonstrate that he wasn't actually driven to serve those people, and only returned to the role in a misguided attempt to return himself to pre-Departure normalcy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well I'm glad you're here, because there was no textual examination of that point

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What in the gently caress is a loving spoopy

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

A synonym for covfefe

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Leftovers is waaaaaayyy better than the Good Place though, and I like the Good Place.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The premise and central themes of Leftovers with the execution of The Good Place would be one of the greatest shows in history.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

The premise and central themes of Leftovers with the execution of The Good Place would be one of the greatest shows in history.

This is very much true (the premise and central themes of season 1 that is).

Also someone mentioned that while the narrative is poo poo they are still watching because of the direction and the performances. I'd like to share that there are actually good shows with amazing direction and performances running RIGHT NOW, like Fargo and Better Call Saul.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Like it was a socially-segregated place full of the same charlatans like the goat guy where people were willing to murder him and his family in service of and because of that division. Like I just don't understand how a guy feels driven to serve those kinds of people, especially after he'd lost connection to his father.

Isn't Jarden an open community in this season? I thought the idea was that it was just another town after what happened three years prior, and Kevin was keeping the peace. I might be wrong.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Eh, I mean the Leftovers is primarily about people trying to make sense of the departure and the show tests its characters with similarly strange events. But none of them holds any position of significant power, so not only will they never get the answers that they think they need, but they also have no power to help fix to wound caused by the departure. A Good Place/Leftovers mix would have a Danson/Michael character there to be the one to give you the exposition and to have the power to make radical changes within that world.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whoa someone doesn't like this show that has been totally ignored by awards and gets 700k viewers every week... well wat DOES he like???

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It didn't really hit me until this episode but Justin T. does a really good job at portraying this sort of confused, vulnerable, well-meaning rear end in a top hat kind of masculinity. Not many characters like that on TV right now.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

A lot of the changes after season 1 are almost certainly due to the addition of Reza Aslan as a "consulting" producer.

The first time they played Where Is My Mind, it went across three different scenes with Kevin and it ended up being played out of his car stereo in the third, which implies that he was listening to it on his headphones all day on loop. It's Diagetic Music 101 and slips like that are just embarrassing.

Something like this happens in season 1 with Matt's episode and Love Will Keep Us Together.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Like if you want to buy into Lindelof's story that this is still a "character study", why would you have a three year time jump when these characters have changed drastically in the span of days or hours. You're kinda disrespecting your audience to say "and then for three years after an armed insurrection and drone strike on a cult that invaded the town, everybody stayed basically the same" and then a month after that, they all leave the country and their relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks to LOST i still get ptsd episodes whenever anyone mentions Lindelof and "character study" in the same sentence

oliwan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 1, 2017

• Locked thread