Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

it is literally impossible to safely parse

I haven't looked at the line, but it's safe to parse if the filename is in final position, or obviously would be if they'd escaped spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I haven't looked at the line, but it's safe to parse if the filename is in final position, or obviously would be if they'd escaped spaces

file names can also contain newlines, so, no

and it isn't escaped at all

technically the field is additionally delimited by ( and ), but those aren't escaped either

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mmm, quite

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012

and it isn't escaped at all

technically the field is additionally delimited by ( and ), but those aren't escaped either

The closing ) around that field is the last one in the text, so you can reliably parse by searching backwards from the end of the buffer to the ).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rothon posted:

The closing ) around that field is the last one in the text, so you can reliably parse by searching backwards from the end of the buffer to the ).

what if you have a ) in the filename?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

what if you have a ) in the filename?
did you mean (

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

did you mean (

no, it proposed searching backward to the ), AIUI to find the range of the filename. if there's a ) in the filename the search will terminate early

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it isn't a shell script in this case, its a proc file serializing data as plain text with fields delimited by spaces and one of the fields is a file name

it is literally impossible to safely parse

and this is ignoring the fact that nobody ever bothered to define the format or how it should be parsed in the first place

parsing random string output is the foundation of the unix philosophy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

no, it proposed searching backward to the ), AIUI to find the range of the filename. if there's a ) in the filename the search will terminate early
i think if you search backward from the end of the buffer like they suggested you're going to find the ) delimiter before you find the ) in the filename

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

i think if you search backward from the end of the buffer like they suggested you're going to find the ) delimiter before you find the ) in the filename

ah, I see, yeah

proc is real bad

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

vietnam have been having fun, and publicly too

https://twitter.com/Bing_Chris/status/870008641826557952

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/870034393729044480

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I'm the cyber scoop dot com exclusive

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

im the redacted public key

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i'm the encryption using a hash protocol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/870208514240729088

lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao

theres poop touching, and then theres this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2017/05/31/stanford-uni-site-infested-with-hacking-tools-and-phish-for-months.html

This is neat. Apparently someone hosed up their blog and php installs on a Stanford University subdomain and there were dozens of remote shells and phishing sites hosted through it in the past 5 months.

that reminds me of my last company, where there was an internet-exposed and also private-network-exposed Tomcat 5 server that had the default creds and hadn't been updated since it was installed in like, 2006, running on server 2003 that also hadn't been updated since 2006, and nobody noticed anything (other than it being super slow) until i went in to see why it was slow in loving 2013 and found a thriving, massive ecosystem of shells and hax and bits coin had grown :allears:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

who'd have thought "let's take up a collection to raise money for the fsb" would upset anyone

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Well, well, well....
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/onelogin-data-breach-compromised-decrypted/
Which password manager wasn't poo poo again?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

keepass

why do people keep asking and not learning

use the one that doesnt have the database in some ~magic autosync cloud~ and don't download stupid poo poo to your computer and execute it. that's all you have to do

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
average luser: but i forgot my keepass password and lost everything, therefore lastbass is better

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jewel posted:

use the one that doesnt have the database in some ~magic autosync cloud~ and don't download stupid poo poo to your computer and execute it. that's all you have to do

then the russians asked "have you tried pencil"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

aw i was enjoying everyone trying to justify this stupidity, especially the whole "we're not paying the shadowbrokers, just crowdfunding it"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jewel posted:

keepass

Truga posted:

average luser: but i forgot my keepass password and lost everything, therefore lastbass is better

:science: "Use the system where you have to keep track of things yourself if anything changes and you get to copy paste things in manually for each website and you sync your key file across your computers using dropbox"

:downs: "drop what? Key who? Look, why can't I just keep using this thing I'm already using, it works great and I'm used to it and I don't have to do any extra work. I don't have to type a password in whenever I want to use a website, why are you making this harder?"

How does this thread continue to not understand that usability is a larger, more immediate, and more visible concern for end users than a nebulous concept of good security practices? This is the same thread that understands "making strict password change rules means people will just add 1 to the end each time"

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Because security people are the worst. Like they're cjs on steroids

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

:science: "Use the system where you have to keep track of things yourself if anything changes and you get to copy paste things in manually for each website and you sync your key file across your computers using dropbox"

:downs: "drop what? Key who? Look, why can't I just keep using this thing I'm already using, it works great and I'm used to it and I don't have to do any extra work. I don't have to type a password in whenever I want to use a website, why are you making this harder?"

How does this thread continue to not understand that usability is a larger, more immediate, and more visible concern for end users than a nebulous concept of good security practices? This is the same thread that understands "making strict password change rules means people will just add 1 to the end each time"

but that's exactly my point

even if you can get a user to get used to using keep rear end, they'll forget their password after not typing it in for 2 weeks and then they're royally hosed and will go back to their bad solution, because it has a password reminder and is in cloud

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

or they'll put a keep rear end word in the same excel file that has their kid's birthday and their mom's address in it, then the obvious will dawn on them and zzactualgoodCopy(3) of Book1.xls will take over

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az49aNuYeJs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

okay but i think there's a bit of a difference between Your Grandma's password manager needs and the needs of someone who is asking the security thread on something awful dot com which to use

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ok, but that's not what is happening.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Ok, but that's not what is happening.

:confused:

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Which password manager wasn't poo poo again?

i mean i get that it's a rhetorical but the thread answered it anyway so i'd say it counts

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ate all the Oreos posted:

:confused:

i mean i get that it's a rhetorical but the thread answered it anyway so i'd say it counts

So it was a rhetorical question but also a real question?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jewel posted:

keepass

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Volmarias posted:

usability is important, but shouldn't also significantly undermine the entire point of the thing that you're using

if knowing what a file is is too complicated, then one should just use a pen and paper and then keep the paper somewhere secure

"remembering where i kept my piece of paper with passwords on it is too hard! i'm going to give it to somebody in my neighborhood and then have him shout my paswords at me wheneve ri need them. so much more usable!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sure, but don't cluck at non-technical end users for picking the thing that appears to be good enough when there's no reasonable alternative for them. "Just keep writing your passwords down on a pencil and paper" is both going to come across as patronizing, and also prevents them from picking a password that won't be both easy to write down and also to type in.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the solution is to educate people on basic digital security, not to dumb everything down so as to be worse than nothing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jewel posted:

keepass

when i paid for lastpass, keep rear end was still an open sores nightmare where you needed third-party plugins for anything you actually wanted to use it for, and a lot of plugins weren't compatible between keep rear end v1 and keep rear end v2. i've since switched to 1password but i don't believe keep rear end has gotten any better. like, if i wanted to get chrome integration with keep rear end, i'd go to their plugins page, ctrl+f chrome, the first result is a plugin called KeeForm, here is their website, whoops it doesn't actually work with chrome

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also i don't think using pen/paper is patronizing; if somebody is uncomfortable with digital solutions then having a written record that they can mentally classify witht he same security as, idk, a checkbook or a social security card works fairly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

anthonypants posted:

when i paid for lastpass, keep rear end was still an open sores nightmare where you needed third-party plugins for anything you actually wanted to use it for, and a lot of plugins weren't compatible between keep rear end v1 and keep rear end v2. i've since switched to 1password but i don't believe keep rear end has gotten any better. like, if i wanted to get chrome integration with keep rear end, i'd go to their plugins page, ctrl+f chrome, the first result is a plugin called KeeForm, here is their website, whoops it doesn't actually work with chrome

um

i use keepass with chrome and i didn't have to install any plugins? i just go to keepass and press ctrl+v on the entry and it auto-types into chrome for me?

• Locked thread