Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Did Wii U have native voice chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can't say I can blame Nintendo - a company that prides itself on its family-friendly image - for wanting to limit the chance some 8 year old is called a "loving human being" because he didn't get on the capture point fast enough in Splatoon 2. :thunk:

poo poo that's a selling feature for me.

Yeah exactly. I got super soured by the concept of voice chatting with randoms the day GTA Online came out and I got paired up with some prepubescent white-sounding kid who used "nigga" in every sentence, kept telling me to hurry up and follow him, then called me a "loving human being" for not getting into his car while he repeatedly ran me over. I'm not a little baby with virgin ears, far from it, but I was so turned off that I never played GTA online again (not sure what I was expecting!)

While voice chatting with friends is good, I don't know of any Nintendo games where it adds to the quality of gameplay (Splatoon included) so I can take it or leave it. Maybe it'll be nice in Monster Hunter, but that's really about it.

Maybe restricting voice chat to a smartphone app was the right call for Nintendo in the end. Parents can prevent stuff like this by just not letting them use the app/smartphone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Ohtsam posted:

Of course which is why they announced a mobile out which is generally being met with confusion and annoyance only in gaming news blogs which 80% of the of the target market ignores. Don't get me wrong it does suck. But you and utnayan are once again blowing the consequences out of proportion because you are both attention seeking fuckwits.

my twitter tl is full of people who actually own and play switch/nintendo games a lot going "what the gently caress is this" but sure

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

yeah discord is really good... on pc when im playing games on my pc. but theres literally no reason to go out of my way to use it for any other platform unless its because i have to because that platform has decided to not offer any voice options at all, or the options are just as much of an extra effort as using discord. i could see using it for the switch simply because its basically the same thing anyway if im having to use my phone for voice, but thats a ridiculous situation.
I use it when on other platforms because it's where my friends already are and if we're chatting already then it doesn't make sense to have to hang up and then hook up in the console OS

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It was a game by game only thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
English voices in BotW might not be the most inspired readings ever but they're fine.

Getting worked up over them seems hilariously petty

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

For Smash Bros.

In the lobby.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

yeah discord is really good... on pc when im playing games on my pc. but theres literally no reason to go out of my way to use it for any other platform unless its because i have to because that platform has decided to not offer any voice options at all, or the options are just as much of an extra effort as using discord. i could see using it for the switch simply because its basically the same thing anyway if im having to use my phone for voice, but thats a ridiculous situation.

I use discord for ps4 fighting games cause i got no mic port on my te2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think all consoles should have friends only party chat native to the system you can run separately from whatever game you're in. It should be OS level.

I would hardly ever use it, if ever, but it should be an option.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BOTW is actually a very good game with good English voice acting.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Bloop posted:

English voices in BotW might not be the most inspired readings ever but they're fine.

Getting worked up over them seems hilariously petty

have you met the average goon?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

BOTW is actually a very good game with good English voice acting.

The noodle... is right

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think all consoles should have friends only party chat native to the system you can run separately from whatever game you're in. It should be OS level.

I would hardly ever use it, if ever, but it should be an option.

exactly. i mean to be clear on ps4 etc the public chat in games is setup by the games themselves and not to do with the console at all, if nintendo really really wanted they could just outright ban that or make it a systemwide opt in. but not having any form of way to simply talk with your friends without hooking up a phone and an external piece of hardware to mix game audio and chat together is just ridiculous. people like to play multiplayer games with their friends, both locally and online. i dont get why you would want to make the online half of that so much more difficult to access. its not protecting anyone or stopping public chat or whatever, its just penalising people who want an easy way to enjoy games with people they know.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo has this weird idea where they love people interacting on a couch but hate people interacting over the internet

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Nintendo has this weird idea where they love people interacting on a couch but hate people interacting over the internet

Look at this thread, they're right and wiser than the rest of us

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Kashuno posted:

this is why its infuriating, because despite what i think about the joycons themselves at least its clear nintendo have tried really hard to make something where playing with your friends in the same room is easy to do and getting enough pads to do it is easy. the console even comes with two as standard! so its boggling why as soon as it becomes about the exact same situation but long distance theyve decided to say "gently caress you" and make it as awkward as possible. not everyone has the luxury of living close enough to all their friends to play locally!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Kashuno posted:

Speaking of if it doesn't have a speaker phone mode for when one group has multiple people on one console and some way of filtering game audio it's going to be useless to most. If it does have a way to filter game audio and just uses the phones mic a lot of people who wouldn't even bother shelling out for a headset /w mic might use it.

(Sound filtering won't actually happen though because it'll be nearly impossible)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Stux posted:

why should u have to use discord instead of a system built into the OS like every other console? do you at least realise your attitude and how youuse chat goes against how basically everyone else who plays games on consoles uses voice chat?

To be completely honest, I don't see myself playing anything on a Nintendo console that is super competitive and team based that would require me to have a built in voice chat component. And again, even if there was a game like that that I was interested in, I would still go to Discord because inevitably there will be a goon community for it and it will be easier to find groups and whatever. Everything I would need in that situation is on Discord, so I don't care what Nintendo's janky rear end plan is for voice chat, because there's already something that serves that purpose for me.

That said, if other people are salty about it, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't personally think of any nintendo games I wanted voicechat for besides splatoon but yeah it should have better options by now. if the system had overwatch and helldivers and killing floor and other co-op games like that I'd be more pissed but the system doesn't really have poo poo like that, so it's less an issue for me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I still continue to not give one iota of care about voice chat in any game on any system.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

spit on my clit posted:

Jackbox Party Pack 3 works very well on the switch, except I keep having to move the controller every ten minutes or so, because the screen gets dark as there are technically no inputs being made on the switch.

Go into the system settings and turn the sleep timer to Never while you're playing Jackbox.

Then put it back on One Minute because you're paranoid about battery issues even though you've never left it sitting unintentionally and never run the battery below 50%.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think party chat for MK8D would be a great addition. Any time I think of voice features I mainly think about party chat where I just want to goof off and bullshit with people. Discord is great for that, but then I have to choose between headphones to listen to discord where everyone is annoyed because they can hear my TV when I talk, or not chatting at all. This isn't make or break, but it just seems really shortsighted to exclude what should be a standard feature in a modern video game console.

Also, the platformer parts of Indivisible look really fun but the fighting looks very bland. Trying to figure out what kind of game it is because the trailer almost felt like it was showing off two separate games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Ometeotl posted:

I still continue to not give one iota of care about voice chat in any game on any system.

its really weird that when other people said stuff like this about things you liked you kept telling them to shut up and that no one cares but u dont have the self awareness to notice it when you're the one doing it instead

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Ohtsam posted:

Of course which is why they announced a mobile out which is generally being met with confusion and annoyance only in gaming news blogs which 80% of the of the target market ignores. Don't get me wrong it does suck. But you and utnayan are once again blowing the consequences out of proportion because you are both attention seeking fuckwits.

I cannot speak for him, but for me,. I continue to see backwards thinking over and over again when I * Want * to buy a Switch, but every backward design decision says otherwise.

I love you think we are attention seekers on the internet, with anonymous user handles though. :suicide:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Some of y'all seem to really really want to hear about how any given random 13 year old kid has slept with your mom. Because that's about all you get from built in voice.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Nope. However, the Wii U made great strides (As did the 3DS) in online functionality. And by great strides I mean at least they caught up to 70% of what has been in every other console since 2001.

They missed the boat on account consolidation with NNID's, and a lot of quality of life features and functionality, most likely because they just don't know how to do it, combined with thinking gaming is a huge social party when 95%+ of all video gaming social interactions take place online in-game/parties/friends, and on community forums. Whether that is a console or PC related. Hell, even board games are becoming more popular again now that they can be played via PC/Discord.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Utnayan posted:

I cannot speak for him, but for me,. I continue to see backwards thinking over and over again when I * Want * to buy a Switch, but every backward design decision says otherwise.

I love you think we are attention seekers on the internet, with anonymous user handles though. :suicide:

yep some of my favourite games ever have been nintendo games and ive owned all the consoles other than the wii u and vb. i want to like the switch, but i cant

Saxophone posted:

Some of y'all seem to really really want to hear about how any given random 13 year old kid has slept with your mom. Because that's about all you get from built in voice.

everyones actually talking about how they want party chat so they can talk to their friends but please continue to talk about something no one is asking for.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stux posted:

everyones actually talking about how they want party chat so they can talk to their friends but please continue to talk about something no one is asking for.

gently caress party chat

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Using voice chat while listening to game audio through a headset at the same time will be a pain in the rear end but just wearing one for chat audio will be pretty much the same as on Xbox. Just plugging my earphones into my phone vs. a controller.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Saxophone posted:

Oh, and the squid adapter has some kind of "I had sex with your mum lastnight" detection and removal technology?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Using voice chat while listening to game audio through a headset at the same time will be a pain in the rear end but just wearing one for chat audio will be pretty much the same as on Xbox. Just plugging my earphones into my phone vs. a controller.

swear some of you peoplelive on an alien planet

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Stux posted:

yep some of my favourite games ever have been nintendo games and ive owned all the consoles other than the wii u and vb. i want to like the switch, but i cant

Same boat. I have owned everything home console and portable except the N64 and the Switch. In fact, I still have the Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, 3DS XL, and due to kids, about 5 Gameboy Advances laying around. I also loved BOTW on my Wii U. Mario Kart was ok but I like Sonic All Stars a lot better. I was heavily disappointed with Xenoblade Chronicles X, but still have Xenoblade for the Wii and love it. (Still play it every once and a while) And I was happy with the online services stride Nintendo made with the Wii U. Which was leaps and beyond better than anything they had ever done before.

To see all that negated now because they rushed the system launch and never figured out D, E, F, and G value feature sets but launched anyway, is called building the plane as one flies and that never works. And it won't work here either.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I have literally the ideal living room layout for that voice chat dongle setup (my switch is docked on a table behind the couch, which I also keep my phone charged on) and I still wouldn't dream of setting that bullshit up.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Switch is easily the best console Nintendo has ever made and to hear otherwise is tantamount to trolling, which we don't need OR want in this thread.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Can we get taintreaper back? At least he was a decentish troll.

Today at lunch during work I played disgaea the whole time. In my car. It was glorious. Praise be to the Switch.

Also, are there any good, definitive sources for disgaea info? I noticed there wasn't a thread (I could find) and the Reddit for it seems fairly dead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Friend ulillillia on Facebook and look at his posts about it

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Given the lack of a Wii U thread anymore, figured I might get some help here. My gamepad'a gyro just intermittently stops working. Like, in BotW, I'll be aiming an arrow and it'll work for a few seconds and then link will just freeze in place and stop aiming, and then the next time I go to shoot, it'll work again for a few seconds.

There's no real rhyme or reason to it, sometimes it work fine for ages, sometimes I can't get it to work at all.

Any DIY repair tips? Or do i need to send it in for service?

Nintendo did an firmware update to Bork the Gamepad so you have to buy a Switch now, sorry

bef fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 1, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Here is a hilariously fun run of BoI. Not going to tell you what to do because it will pretty much unfold on its own. It's a really unique combination that I have yet to encounter. I don't think I came across one item that hosed me over.

I stuck with the rainbow tears and the anarchist cookbook

OLVC NFLC

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hopefully for the next smash bros they'll use the botw designs of Link and Zelda because goddamn they're good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used voice chat all the time on Splatoon.

It was me calling a friend or two on a cell phone and wearing my normal cellphone earbud.

I could still hear the TV just fine.

People acting like this is some sort of dealbreaking scandal rather than oddity or minor inconvenience are just being histrionic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Saxophone posted:

Can we get taintreaper back? At least he was a decentish troll.

Today at lunch during work I played disgaea the whole time. In my car. It was glorious. Praise be to the Switch.

Also, are there any good, definitive sources for disgaea info? I noticed there wasn't a thread (I could find) and the Reddit for it seems fairly dead.

people disagreeing with you isnt "trolling"

• Locked thread