Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never had a margarita that I liked, aside from a crappy pre-bottled Jose Cuervo one :smith:. Given that was the most recent, maybe I need to give it one more shot. I just couldn't stand the pickled taste.

I hate not liking a type of liquor. Like, I don't get stuff made with vodka because I feel like a tasteless liquor is cheating in a cocktail, but I'll still drink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Try a classic old fashioned, but with reposado. Or a manhattan with reposado (aka Spanish Harlem). What kind of drinks do you usually like? Citrusy? Bitter? Pick a favorite of yours and swap out the spirit for tequila.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll give a manhattan with reposado a shot. I really like manhattans.

I'm generally pretty flexible with cocktails. I didn't like the boulevardier I had with four roses because between the campari and bourbon it was just too much, not sure how to describe it. Too complex. I've enjoyed everything else I've had, though. Except, well, this: "Silver Rum, house-made amaretto, nutmeg, bitters, grenadine, peach and mango juice." I view a trip to a nice bar as a chance to try something new I've read on the internet, so I've had most of the standards in here.

Someone help me remember a cocktail name. I read it not long ago, but I can't remember. Brandy, grenadine, lemon juice, lime juice. I think it was equal parts brandy and grenadine, then less of lemon juice and lime juice, but I could be wrong.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've never had a margarita that I liked, aside from a crappy pre-bottled Jose Cuervo one :smith:. Given that was the most recent, maybe I need to give it one more shot. I just couldn't stand the pickled taste.

If it's the salt/lime combo that's putting you off, you can always skip the salt entirely, or pare it down to a few semi-symbolic flakes directly in the drink.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Someone help me remember a cocktail name. I read it not long ago, but I can't remember. Brandy, grenadine, lemon juice, lime juice. I think it was equal parts brandy and grenadine, then less of lemon juice and lime juice, but I could be wrong.

Are you thinking of a Jack Rose, maybe? It's apple brandy with grenadine and lemon or lime juice. Recipes vary, but it's generally 1.5 to 2.0 oz apple brandy, .75 oz lemon or lime juice, and anywhere from a splash of grenadine to .75 oz. Some recipes also include a dash or two of Peychaud's bitters.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Well, the margarita is about as iconic as it gets.

1.5 oz tequila blanco
.75 oz Cointreau
.75 oz lime juice
dash of simple syrup

Shake and serve over ice in a salt-rimmed Old Fashioned glass.

That sounds like an incredibly sweet margarita.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I think I must have been forgetting the apple part of the Brandy. And equal parts would be way too sweet.

Tried making something with 1.75oz brandy, .75oz grenadine, .5oz lime juice, .5oz lemon juice. Too sweet, too sour, although somehow it mellowed out as it went along.

I think I'll just see what happens if I make a Jack Rose with normal brandy.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll give a manhattan with reposado a shot. I really like manhattans.

I'm generally pretty flexible with cocktails. I didn't like the boulevardier I had with four roses because between the campari and bourbon it was just too much, not sure how to describe it. Too complex. I've enjoyed everything else I've had, though. Except, well, this: "Silver Rum, house-made amaretto, nutmeg, bitters, grenadine, peach and mango juice." I view a trip to a nice bar as a chance to try something new I've read on the internet, so I've had most of the standards in here.

Four Roses is a blended bourbon, which is going to make it more complex. I like a boulevardier, and I've made it with a number of different bourbons (this is what happens when you take a driving trip to Louisville), but I don't recall using Four Roses.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

just subtract the syrup, really, and its ok

if i'm going traditional i usually just do 2:1:1.5 tequila:sec:lime

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What's your recipe? It seems right in line with most triple sec margarita recipes I'm seeing. I'm talking about literally a few drops of simple syrup. It's got to be less sweet than the versions that replace the Cointreau with agave syrup.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Agave syrup is incredibly harmful to agave spirit production and is incredibly exploitative of palenqueros, it is banned from all of the bars I oversee. Never use agave syrup.

My standard build for anything crusta or margarita-esque is 2oz agave spirit, 1-1.25 citrus, (depending on how tart) and .5-.75 syrup (once again depending on tartness.) We juice fresh daily so ymmv. All our syrups are cold process.

But for real, gently caress you if you use agave syrup.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Agave syrup is incredibly harmful to agave spirit production and is incredibly exploitative of palenqueros, it is banned from all of the bars I oversee. Never use agave syrup.

I had no idea. Can you give some more detail on this or share some links? The little unopened bottle on my counter is suddenly weighing on my conscience.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My standard build for anything crusta or margarita-esque is 2oz agave spirit, 1-1.25 citrus, (depending on how tart) and .5-.75 syrup (once again depending on tartness.) We juice fresh daily so ymmv. All our syrups are cold process.

But for real, gently caress you if you use agave syrup.

huh , expand or link to something? i honestly just don't like it so i don't gently caress with it but that's the first i've heard

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Margarita talk reminded me that I went to a pretty nice steakhouse once and ordered a sidecar. The manager ends up coming out bringing me a large glass with ice in it. He proudly said how he hadn't served one in decades, but managed to remember that it's a margarita with brandy instead of tequila. I smiled, thanked him, and made a mental note not to order anything slightly unusual there again.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
[quote=""MAKE NO BABBYS" But for real, gently caress you if you use agave syrup.[/quote"]

Word.

That sour spec is aggressive, though. 2/.75/.75 4 life!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is agave syrup the same thing as agave nectar?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is agave syrup the same thing as agave nectar?

Yeah, just watered down 1:1 or 2:1 as a simple syrup analogue.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

Word.

That sour spec is aggressive, though. 2/.75/.75 4 life!

I'm in the Bay Area so our limes are juicy, sweet and bright. If you're using non-primo limes or juice that's tart or oxidized, you're going to want less. Mine is a Tommys spec, no agave syrup.

I'm phone posting ATM and just finished day 19 straight, but I will write an explanation re: agave nectar/syrup tomorrow after some goddamned sleep. I have some links and my own explanations from working with & visiting lots of palenques in Oaxaca. I can post the agave page of my spirits list as well, if there is interest.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I'm in the Bay Area so our limes are juicy, sweet and bright. If you're using non-primo limes or juice that's tart or oxidized, you're going to want less. Mine is a Tommys spec, no agave syrup.

I'm phone posting ATM and just finished day 19 straight, but I will write an explanation re: agave nectar/syrup tomorrow after some goddamned sleep. I have some links and my own explanations from working with & visiting lots of palenques in Oaxaca. I can post the agave page of my spirits list as well, if there is interest.

Super interested. Thanks in advance for sharing!

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Also intrigued, no one in my neck of the woods gives a gently caress about agave spirits

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So let's say I just got some Appleton Estate 12 years old planning to sip it neat. Turns out I think El Dorado is much better for that and while I'll have it neat every now and then I'm planning on trying some premium cocktail. What are some things that really highlight a good rum?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Daiquiris, daiquiris, daiquiris. 2oz rum, 1oz lime, 3/4oz simple, shake, strain into coupe, lime twist.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like mine 2 3/4 3/4. But yeah daiquiris, sometimes a dash or two of ango is nice in there as well

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Will try. Daiquiris and the version with grapefruit juice are some of my favourite drinks.

Any other drink for "high end" rum are welcome

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
How about a rum Old Fashioned with demerara sugar? It's hard to feature the rum more prominently than that.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Ti' Punch is another excellent preparation. Put rum in rocks glass (with rocks), add lime juice and sugar syrup (demerara or other fancy sugars work well) to taste. Proportions are all to taste.

In other news, I just realized what I'm going to use this lime oleo-saccharum for....

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Grab a bottle of clement cane syrop for super trad ti' punch

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I had almost forgotten about ti-punch. Now I remember why that's the drink that got me into cocktails in the first place. Will have to go for a Daiquiri and a old fashioned tomorow. Thank you all

It.s a bit expensive for mixing, but since I have to bottle I'm going to enjoy every last drop. It does make a killer cocktail VS their VSOP (which I love) though

edit : gently caress this is the best ti-punch I ever had

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2017

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

edit : gently caress this is the best ti-punch I ever had

It always feels good to make a recommendation that really works. I feel like a very, very tiny version of Kenning now. :)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Am I missing something or is a Ti' Punch just a stirred, rocks Daiquiri? What's the appeal?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

poop dood posted:

Am I missing something or is a Ti' Punch just a stirred, rocks Daiquiri? What's the appeal?

I was wondering the same. It's so much less lime juice than a Daiquiri that I wonder if an Old Fashioned might be a better comparison.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

poop dood posted:

Am I missing something or is a Ti' Punch [a variation of the greatest drink known to man or Gods]? What's the appeal?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey, you saw me upthread championing the Daiquiri. I just generally don't understand why you would prefer a stirred drink with citrus juice in it over a shaken one, given the clear benefits in texture, etc.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Well, you can use as much/little lime/syrup as you want. Chacun prepare sa propre mort.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Isn't that true of a Daiquiri? Or any other cocktail, for that matter?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

poop dood posted:

Isn't that true of a Daiquiri? Or any other cocktail, for that matter?

Apparently Ti' Punch is traditionally served with the ingredients separate so the drinker can prepare it how they like.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Perhaps some people have not yet had the opportunity to appreciate a nice agricole.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

poop dood posted:

Hey, you saw me upthread championing the Daiquiri. I just generally don't understand why you would prefer a stirred drink with citrus juice in it over a shaken one, given the clear benefits in texture, etc.

Yeah I'm just teasing , it sounds like a weird preparation to me too, I'm sure it tastes great tho

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I like the fact that to punch are simple. No need to shake or transfer from one thing to another, no need to measure, etc. They tend to have less like and sugar than daiquiri too, but I guess you could make a daiquiri too the same proportion.

I don't really think one is better than the other. Tonight will be daiquiri night

Trip report : The Daiquiri is delicous. I still have a little something for Ti-Punch though. I should try a daiquiri super light on both lime and syrup

Ok... It's growing on me as it warms up. Gosh I'm going to get addicted to making cocktails with expensive rum aren't I?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 30, 2017

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
This isn't strictly speaking a cocktail question, but I trust this threads judgement when it comes to liquor. What is a good "beginner" scotch, let's say in the neighborhood of 20 bucks per bottle, and how should I drink it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Beardless posted:

This isn't strictly speaking a cocktail question, but I trust this threads judgement when it comes to liquor. What is a good "beginner" scotch, let's say in the neighborhood of 20 bucks per bottle, and how should I drink it?

There aren't any at 20 bucks. Some reasonable choices at 40, but 20 you should be looking for bourbons, ryes, etc. Also, try this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441478 :)