Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Depending on what you mean by "primitive humanity taking over their areas when we were evolving," maybe. Humans were anatomically modern long before any of us got to China.

More than likely, as others have said, it wasn't until relatively recently that the panda's eating and mating habits were a problem, so there was no reason for it to change. Natural selection doesn't work fast enough to change anything now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a special delicious diarrhea headline we can all get behind.

‘Special,’ ‘delicious,’ ‘diarrhea’: Google reveals states’ most misspelled words

http://wtop.com/living/2017/05/special-delicious-diarrhea-google-reveals-states-misspelled-words/

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Panda's a great example of evolution at work.

Bears are omnivores and absolutely eat grasses and vegetables to supplement their meat intake.

Something happens to the critters that eat Bamboo, Bamboo grows unchecked and starts taking over (while being a completely untapped food source). Local bears start eating bamboo to supplement their diets, then start eating Bamboo exclusively because nothing is competing for it. Bears have to eat a lot of bamboo but prosper anyway because there's a lot of Bamboo, their guts begin the slow process of converting to a purely herbivorous lifestyle. Bamboo-eating bears multiply, bamboo starts to vanish. Bears start to starve and their breeding frequency diminishes because they only breed when they're not hungry, eventually they start reproducing only at a very specific time of year (when they "know" how much food there'll be). Bear population drops, Bamboo recovers, Bear breeding doesn't increase but bear and bamboo reach an equilibrium point where there's just enough bamboo for the current population and just enough bears to keep the bamboo in check.

Once the Panda's guts evolved enough to actually process bamboo semi-efficiently (which hasn't happened yet) they'd have gotten better at loving.

Of course, none of that accounts for humans bulldozing the bamboo to sell bamboo sticks in Pier 1 imports and/or to erect apartment buildings where the bamboo was, leaving too many bears for the bamboo to support. Bears start dying again, develop new evolutionary strategy: becoming the most well known cute animal on the Endangered Species List.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

Depending on what you mean by "primitive humanity taking over their areas when we were evolving," maybe. Humans were anatomically modern long before any of us got to China.

Now that I'm not on my phone, I can elaborate: the half-remembered-and-potentially-bullshit-thus-why-I-asked theory was that humans pushed out whatever-Pandas-came-from long ago from their earlier biosphere by being humans (long before industrial progress would do it faster), and that learning to eat bamboo was a ecological response to that displacement.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Now that I'm not on my phone, I can elaborate: the half-remembered-and-potentially-bullshit-thus-why-I-asked theory was that humans pushed out whatever-Pandas-came-from long ago from their earlier biosphere by being humans (long before industrial progress would do it faster), and that learning to eat bamboo was a ecological response to that displacement.

That's kind of what I meant, but I was also on my phone and also lost my train of thought. What I meant was, if you meant early human settlers of China pushing them out, that's possible for sure.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AP/status/869720283674021888

https://twitter.com/NancyChenNews/status/869731227934351360

Edit: HOLY poo poo

https://twitter.com/yoda/status/869722995811471360

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 03:02 on May 31, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Can you really say pandas 'learned' to eat bamboo when they're still so bad at it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you really say pandas 'learned' to eat bamboo when they're still so bad at it?

I learned to gently caress but my long list of disappointed lovers confirm how bad I am at it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just met you
and I am crazy
but here's my number -
light treason maybe?

Your stare was beholdin',
Pant suit, skin was showin'
Debate night, wind was blowin'
Where do you think we're going, baby?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Inzombiac posted:

I learned to gently caress but my long list of disappointed lovers confirm how bad I am at it.

Long list? You've only got two hands.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leavemywife posted:

Long list? You've only got two hands.

Yes but I have an extensive and opulent collection of gloves.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Savage.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I can picture the smug face of the dude typing that title in.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AlexanderEmmons/status/869649552617463808

I told them a million times, fully charge your State Department flak, overnight if possible, before first use! :mad:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

For a thread about weird news headlines, I've learned a fair amount about pandas.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Oh. My. God.
This deserves a Pun Pulitzer.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Catberry posted:

Yeah. It's a disciplinary matter here. Imprisoning someone is already borderline illegal and making it illegal to pursue your own freedom is questionable.

I don't think you are using those words correctly. From a "legal" point of view it is absolutely not "borderline illegal" to imprison people convicted of certain crimes in any jurisdiction within the United States.

You might say it is morally questionable, and in many (not all) cases I would agree; however, it is absolutely "legal"...

Furthermore, from a purely legal perspective, it is not "illegal" to pursue your freedom through the channels codified in the law--through court, clemency, parole, etc. It is, however, illegal to violate a court order of imprisonment by attempting to escape.

Now again, you might say morally questionable, and I would agree in some contexts, but you cannot say that a law making escaping a criminal offense is a violation of the law.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012

Humerus posted:

More than likely, as others have said, it wasn't until relatively recently that the panda's eating and mating habits were a problem, so there was no reason for it to change. Natural selection doesn't work fast enough to change anything now.

Not true! Peking Man feels he could totally have displaced some ancient pandas.

hate hoot has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Jun 1, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Semantics! H. erectus may have been an ancestor of ours, but it would be the African populations, the ones in Asia would have died out like the inferior apes they were.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Don't even get me started on pandas weird stupid thumb

I guess if you're gonna eat all that bamboo i guess i'll just sprout a new weird "thumb" from an overgrown wristbone so you can strip the leaves or whatever
--evolution

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ever looked closely at a Koala hand?
Two thumbs up!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

They just really really like movies and had to evolve a way to show it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Gay Vulture Dads Hatch Chick at Zoo in Amsterdam

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gay vulture dad is a pretty good username

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Please don't put wasp nests in your vagina

Don't put ground wasp nest on your vagina to tighten muscles, warns gynaecologist

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Look, I was just trying to chase the centipedes out, okay?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's a special delicious diarrhea headline we can all get behind.

‘Special,’ ‘delicious,’ ‘diarrhea’: Google reveals states’ most misspelled words

http://wtop.com/living/2017/05/special-delicious-diarrhea-google-reveals-states-misspelled-words/

People search "how to spell?" I just plug in my guess and see if auto fill knows what I mean

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Newseum fuckin owns, just throwing that out there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A talented actress has been forced to withdraw from her biggest Irish stage role after suffering a concussion in a freak fidget spinner accident, writes Eoin English.

Doctors have ordered West Cork-raised, London-based, Ayoola Smart, 22, to rest for up to two weeks after diagnosing the head injury after last week’s incident at the Wilton shopping centre in Cork. She was standing in a shop when a child standing nearby lost control of the gadget and she was struck behind one of her ears.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fidget-spinner-injury-forces-actress-to-withdraw-from-festival-791838.html

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Wasps? In my vagina? It's more common than you think!
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/ground-wasp-nest-vagina-tighten-warn-gynaecologist-painful-sex-bacteria-hiv-a7766376.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

so common it was posted already & the joke was made too!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

beloved oval office

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Powaqoatse posted:

so common it was posted already & the joke was made too!

If something is funny once, it's funny a hundred times. :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

If something is funny once, it's funny a hundred times. :colbert:

Especially on SA.

THIS KILLS THE VAGINA!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The wasps aren't pleased either.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Good avatar/post combo there.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's not a good week for genitals

Teenage rugby player cut off penis while high on skunk, says father who wants drug made Class A

A teenage rugby player cut off his own penis and stabbed his mother while high on skunk, his father has revealed, as he called for the drug to be reclassified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, guess I'm officially old...what's skunk?