Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

RISCy Business posted:

what about poor old people

better than rich old people, for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

hell yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

here's a list of things worse than rich old people:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

re: background check chat. i had a few short jobs go down in flames before things settled down and don't list them on my resume because i like being employable. i've never been background checked, just criminal record. how screwed am i if one happens?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

re: background check chat. i had a few short jobs go down in flames before things settled down and don't list them on my resume because i like being employable. i've never been background checked, just criminal record. how screwed am i if one happens?

unless it's the government, you'll be fine

they require your consent to verify any past employment, all these agencies aren't really that sophisticated

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

jony neuemonic posted:

Your resume is supposed to put you in the most glowing light possible. You don't have to put bad jobs you don't want to sell yourself with on it. Just don't lie if asked about the gaps or imply that you've listed all of your jobs on your resume. You might lose out because of short/bad jobs but you definitely will lose out if you lie.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just throwing this out there but maybe gendered forenames are bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

don't stay here

nah you're going to be stuck with my terrible posting for a while yet i'm afraid

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ThePeavstenator posted:

Your resume is supposed to put you in the most glowing light possible. You don't have to put bad jobs you don't want to sell yourself with on it. Just don't lie if asked about the gaps or imply that you've listed all of your jobs on your resume. You might lose out because of short/bad jobs but you definitely will lose out if you lie.
theres a difference between a resume and an employment application

resumes can have gaps and skip over things and show you in the best light

once you get an offer you fill out the official employment application form and its there that you have to be thorough and complete. every poo poo job you had (with contacts), every place youve ever lived, the precise month and year you graduated from college/high school/reform school, whether youve been convicted of a crime - all of it. thats what they use for the background check (and it goes in your file so they can have cause to fire you if theres even a tiny discrepancy)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FMguru posted:

once you get an offer you fill out the official employment application form and its there that you have to be thorough and complete. every poo poo job you had (with contacts), every place youve ever lived, the precise month and year you graduated from college/high school/reform school, whether youve been convicted of a crime - all of it. thats what they use for the background check (and it goes in your file so they can have cause to fire you if theres even a tiny discrepancy)

Yeah I know but the question was about resumes. Leaving stuff off of an employment application or background check is lying by omission, leaving things off of your resume that might not reflect positively on you is not.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

FMguru posted:

I don't think I've ever filled out one of these

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FamDav posted:

I don't think I've ever filled out one of these

because that's a form for security clearance, not a job application

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

The_Franz posted:

because that's a form for security clearance, not a job application

security clearance has you fill out many more details than what they are describing

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

St Evan Echoes posted:

just throwing this out there but maybe gendered forenames are bad

okay sam we get it, you really like your name

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FamDav posted:

security clearance has you fill out many more details than what they are describing

idk, i've never had to fill out every place i've ever lived or list high school jobs with contacts on an application, even when applying for a federal job where part of the application process included being fingerprinted for an fbi background check.

i've never applied for something that needed real clearance though and i probably never will since i'm a dual citizen and that's basically an automatic disqualifier.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 1, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
looking at the results of my background check, they looked at:

whether my college education matched what I claimed
criminal felony and misdemeanor record, state and federal
prohibited parties - no idea what this means
credit history
social security number trace - also not sure

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jony neuemonic posted:

Probably not at all. They'll just check the places that you listed to make sure you actually worked there.

loving lol at the fintech firm that pulled an offer after putting me through literally the worst-tier background check company that would demand I do their job for them and provide them with rando notarized documents. poo poo took a month. I think I even offered to provide my own CORI records at that point, because loving lol.

Check for the new job took three days and that was with full criminal, credit, SSN, etc.

interviewing, job hunting, and background checks are garbage.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i'm getting to the point where i want to just start leaving jobs off my resume because there's so many of them (like before/during school/co-ops). they're already minimized to like a single sentence, but i might just remove them, or remove any description

also im probably getting old enough i gotta worry about age discrimination lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

looking at the results of my background check, they looked at:

prohibited parties - no idea what this means

social security number trace - also not sure

first one probably means checking for any close associations with criminal figures or industrial competitors

second one is probably verifying that your social security number is the one issued to you by the SSA because it's shockingly easy to just assume a dead person's SSN and ditch a lot of your past mistakes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

background checks in europe are pretty chill, especially intra-national. company then just calls state police and taxmen to see whats your crime and credit and employment status. you often do nothing, sometimes you need to email a scan of some diploma or certificate you have

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OWLS! posted:

loving lol at the fintech firm that pulled an offer after putting me through literally the worst-tier background check company that would demand I do their job for them and provide them with rando notarized documents. poo poo took a month. I think I even offered to provide my own CORI records at that point, because loving lol.

the outsourced background check agencies are so bad and invasive, im sure they're responsible for a non-insignificant amount of identity theft

lol at the idea of someone in the philippines demanding I supply notarized documents to them

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

background checks, dress codes, drug tests and security clearances are all :redflag:

you can't keep me down im a fuckin rebel :emo:

no but seriously im too old for that poo poo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the security clearance track isn't too bad if you're the type of person who is ok with that type of environment. i've heard some places are pretty laid back once you're actually in. i wouldn't tell anyone given the chance to strictly avoid it as long as they're prepared for the slog of getting in

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that being said- holy poo poo that environment was not for me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
note that they never verified my employment with my current or previous employers. they never even asked for references.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i'm getting to the point where i want to just start leaving jobs off my resume because there's so many of them (like before/during school/co-ops). they're already minimized to like a single sentence, but i might just remove them, or remove any description

do this immediately. nobody gives a poo poo about things you did in school, and everyone hates a long resumé.

quote:

they can usually get a a pretty good estimate of your age by looking at the years you attended college.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

they can usually get a a pretty good estimate of your age by looking at the years you attended college.
thats why you leave off the years you attended/graduated :ssh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
everything in a background check other than maybe validating your qualifications and employment history (i.e. whether or not you were employed at a particular company between these two dates and nothing else) should be illegal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I just stuck everything super old under an "other employers" section with the company, title and year

quote:

I had a funny response from a recruiter:
"they're looking for someone with more startup experience"
"you see the five startups on my resume, right?"
"uuuuuh... they're super early stage culture fit blabh blah"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

thats why you leave off the years you attended/graduated :ssh:

you can leave it off the resume but they're still gonna request your transcript.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

C.H.O.M.E posted:

you can leave it off the resume but they're still gonna request your transcript.

yeah if you're applying to work at the garbage dump

my transcript? lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yeah if you're applying to work at the garbage dump

my transcript? lmao

they can request it straight from the university without your involvement other than signing the background check forms

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

is this for hiring recent grads or something? because what trash employer would need to look at college transcripts from someone who graduated 15 years ago.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

is this for hiring recent grads or something? because what trash employer would need to look at college transcripts from someone who graduated 15 years ago.

my current employer verified that I graduated, not sure if they got my actual transcript

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The_Franz posted:

idk, i've never had to fill out every place i've ever lived or list high school jobs with contacts on an application, even when applying for a federal job where part of the application process included being fingerprinted for an fbi background check.

i've never applied for something that needed real clearance though and i probably never will since i'm a dual citizen and that's basically an automatic disqualifier.

A long-time buddy of mine does intelligence work involving computers in the Air Force and has a top secret clearance and AFAIK is still a dual Japanese and American citizen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it depends on the countries involved and what your clearance is for

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

my current employer verified that I graduated, not sure if they got my actual transcript
yeah 98% of employers just want to verify that you attended xyz university and did earn a bs cs

they dont care that you got a c- in japanese language 1A your freshman year (because you wanted to really understand what all your favorite naruto characters were saying)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if anyone actually had to review it since I went to hippie school with "narrative evaluations" instead of letter grades so my transcript is like 50 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol i have been employee number 5, employee number 3,xxx, employee number 1xx,xxx

and not once have i ever supplied a transcript or been background checked (aside from an actual govt clearance, which wasn't part of the hiring process)

• Locked thread