Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

IcePhoenix posted:

FF XIV also has objectively the best character in all of Final Fantasy.

Y'shtola?
My original character Cat Girl Donut Steel?
GREG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't consider him but he does make a good case.

Tangent, but even though I do like her I was really annoyed by the "twist" in Heavensward because I could instantly tell what happened just by seeing her eyes and it bothers me that literally nobody else does until Matoya

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Warrior of Light is the best character because you get to say "Piss off, Kupo" and "Just pick up the drat rocks."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As someone who played both NES and DS versions of 3, I felt they were mostly the same except a few things:

- they tried to shoehorn characters in instead of avatars. Wasn't bad but still pretty plain.
- The DS version made bosses harder, but the hardest dungeon got nerfed (the one where enemies split when hit by physical non-dark knight weapons) because of the limit of the amount of enemies on screen.
- job balance got tweaked in the DS one, trying to make every job valuable as opposed to having elite jobs. Ninja and Sage got nerfed hard, meaning a 2 ninja 2 sage party was no longer the best. Still, the ideal party usually ended up being knight / ninja / devout or sage / summoner anyway, unless you grinded for onion knight.
- iron giant, sure.

Overall I guess the argument could have been it didn't do enough. Adding save points in dungeons would have been nice. Oh well.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Skipped ahead of FF8 chat a bit, but I feel like I would have liked it more if the translation was a little different. I thought I read somewhere that the "...whatevers" were translated from something that was meant to be an apologetic expression, which for a guy who is obviously socially inept, apologizing, even insincerely would make Squall seem like less of a douche.

I might also be making poo poo up. Either way, game had cool music and a good card game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They finally pushed it out, it wasn't awful, but it clearly becomes a half-finished loving game for about five hours, and it's only by virtue of having all its pretty decent-to-great content frontloaded that it manages to not kill the player's interest.

In fact, really, the game does a lot of novel things, particularly with the abrupt shift for that five hour stretch, and it's surprisingly effective at connecting you to its four main characters, so in a sense, despite basically failing on a myriad of different levels, the game manages to succeed in accomplishing its primary goal and thus somehow manages to be a good experience.

As for FF7, my dream would be that they just toss out the "remake" angle and go for a "retelling" with a loose concern for keeping to the original's beats. Stick to the episodic system, and make each episode take place in a very large open-world environment. Each episode would come in to about 20-to-30 hours long, with a 10-hour main story and the rest being sidequests and stuff. The first episode takes place in an open-world Midgar; the second takes place on a proper continent-sized area to reflect the outside of Midgar segments.

Have the story just go in different directions. What if AVALANCHE holds out longer against Shinra? Have the first episode have Jessie, Biggs and Wedge all be fleshed out playable characters; they survive the Plate falling and start engaging in a Robin Hood style resistance against Shinra, raiding their bases and doing stunts to build public support.

When the party is fleeing, maybe have them try to hide out in the rural countryside. Add in some more villages and rural areas to the first continent, explore the friction between Midgar's environmental corruption and the need a massive city has for a stable food source. Each episode would have a unique roster of playable characters, to reflect the party's composition. Maybe all the party members interact with each other differently, easily providing a means to have each "episode" feel like a self-contained and unique experience.

If you're going to do FF7 again, they should do it right. It needs to be precisely as jaw-dropping and awesome as it was when it first launched on the PSX. To accomplish anything less would be to besmirch its legacy.

EDIT: gently caress it writes itself, do six episodes, the last three all mirroring the previous three; reusing the environments, but changing everything else around and adding more danger to reflect the presence of Meteor and the Weapons and all that. The game ends where it began, in Midgar, but this time you have the entire city to reclaim and reconquer before the final assault on Shinra. This saves a lot of money overall by providing a means of recouping the high cost of the project.

You've already worked harder on this game than they have

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeeeaaah Benedict Cumberelf!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm kind of amazed that the FFX remaster has a nice turbo function but it doesn't work with the most painfully boring and drawn out minigame ever aka blitzball.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That isn't really true. While you may be the most powerful person, heads of state and other characters command more respect and attention, you're just in the right place at the right time a lot. Hell, you aren't even the most important Scion.

Man, like half those heads of state are thirsty as hel for your lalafell in a speedo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Man, like half those heads of state are thirsty as hel for your lalafell in a speedo.

i would be more worried about the not-heads-of-state who are thirsty as hell for your lalafell in a speedo and keep cold calling you while you're repairing your poo poo to join their free company

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IcePhoenix posted:

quote:

Hunberct Longhaft explains that the parcel contains an ample supply of sylph-woven silk, a fabric which-- if you are understanding his analogy correctly-- he insists would somehow allow his fighting unit room to grow and reach its full potential.

quote:

You find Hunberct's loyal followers scouring the guilds, looking for gifts intended to earn their captain's favor. From what you can gather, the Miqo'te hope that such trinkets will nudge Hunberct toward honoring them with the privilege of operating some lever at Highbridge... though why they covet this seemingly mundane duty is not immediately clear.

quote:

Upon your approach to the Weavers' Guild, you spy E'tajha and E'lahmui arguing about whose gift is more suitable for Hunberct. The dispute ends with each accusing the other of not being worthy of polishing the captain's blade-- a clear exaggeration, as both are soldiers who are doubtless capable of performing menial weapon maintenance tasks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Where's the Roe who slew Teedus

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Where's the Roe who slew Teedus

also he saw Leviabeetus with his own two eyes

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Calling out Trachtoum on his BS is the best part though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I like that you can win the Titan triple triad card off him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

poo poo I'm resubbing for that game now. Thanks thread.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Subway stations in Japan playing FF music when trains/leave arrive in honor of the 30th anniversary:

https://twitter.com/ozakikazuyuki/status/870227711968411648
https://twitter.com/hollabackgirl_k/status/870232912473411585

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I may need to resub when I get home tonight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I saw Samurai gets like a 720 potency attack? Time to start playing again.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Saint Freak posted:

I saw Samurai gets like a 720 potency attack? Time to start playing again.

If you complete all 3 versions of their rotation, Iaijutsu becomes a 720 potency attack. It's pretty good. They're basically melee casters.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kelp Me! posted:

Subway stations in Japan playing FF music when trains/leave arrive in honor of the 30th anniversary:

https://twitter.com/ozakikazuyuki/status/870227711968411648
https://twitter.com/hollabackgirl_k/status/870232912473411585

i'm kind of bummed that they didn't go whole ham and arrange them on the same chime synth japan rail normally uses

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

i'm kind of bummed that they didn't go whole ham and arrange them on the same chime synth japan rail normally uses

It's still cute how the main theme plays when you're about to start your journey :3:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Quick everyone act surprised.

https://youtu.be/UJpgPiwURMM

Dissidia is coming to the PS4 as Dissidia NT sometime 2018.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Electric Phantasm posted:

Quick everyone act surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?UJpgPiwURMM

Dissidia is coming to the PS4 as Dissidia NT sometime 2018.

that video doesn't exist

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/dissidia-final-fantasy-nt-announced-ps4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

that video doesn't exist

I always mess up video tags on mobile :(

Replaced it with the link.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Look at the tiny tiny screen space left for actually playing the game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dissidia NT UI needs a lot of work.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
WOW I WONDER WHO ALL THOSE NAMELESS CHARACTERS COULD BE. IT'S SUCH A loving MYSTERY

New stages here we go boiz. I look forward the plot being just as much of a clusterfuck as the last two.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Help me out here thread!

I'm answering the in-game FFXV survey. I'm choosing between two points:

1. Lunafreya's activities. Because if any character needs more development it's her.
2. The World of Ruin: Because being stuck at the gas station was a bummer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Help me out here thread!

1. Lunafreya's activities. Because if any character needs more development it's her.

Playable Aranea.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Playable Aranea.

Nah, I'm good. I would like to have her as a recruitable character though!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Nah, I'm good. I would like to have her as a recruitable character though!

Playable.
Aranea.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
there's a list of characters i would love to be in dissidia but probably won't make it in. aranea is on that list

so is beatrix

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

there's a list of characters i would love to be in dissidia but probably won't make it in. aranea is on that list

so is beatrix

Beatrix for sure. Seifer would be cool too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I was about to say Seifer would be cool for Dissidia

Actually pretty much any of the VIII cast would be neat since they all have weird weapons like Rinoa's pinwheel thing (and her dog)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meridian posted:

Beatrix for sure. Seifer would be cool too.

Only if his super is called Inferiority Complex

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Renoistic posted:

Help me out here thread!

Luna because World of Ruin will be a disappointment.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Epi Lepi posted:

Luna because World of Ruin will be a disappointment.

Thanks. I realized I had two accounts on my PS4 so problem solved!

I have no illusions about S-E salvaging either of those issues, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
What if the game was dark and enemies took longer to kill?