Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

What's this about nobody playing defense in college ball? Shaking my head.

Good defense? No, that sounds right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is great defense being played in college ball it just takes longer than 8 months to do it well. So you see when all you're being introduced to is a bunch of one and dones in the draft...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Please ignore my friend kiimo, here, he's having a stroke.

I mean, the NCAA's idea of "great defense" is Aaron Craft getting away with hand checks for forty minutes. That's not exactly shutdown effort there.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm convinced that Ike Anigbogu will be the best bigman of this class

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

kiimo posted:

What's this about nobody playing defense in college ball? Shaking my head.

Agreed, zone is for cowards.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metapod posted:

I'm convinced that Ike Anigbogu will be the best bigman of this class

Im inclined to agree partially. Feels like the opposite of Markannen. Prob Lauri, but if you need D, i think he will be a great pick. (Portland)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of defense, PHI fans wanting Dennis Smith, Jr. apparently have never watched a North Carolina State game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kiimo posted:

Speaking of defense, PHI fans wanting Dennis Smith, Jr. apparently have never watched a North Carolina State game.

Who has?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
michael jeffrey jordan

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean I'd be thrilled if Smith was there at 11

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Me . . . multiple.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

Im inclined to agree partially. Feels like the opposite of Markannen. Prob Lauri, but if you need D, i think he will be a great pick. (Portland)

He's a loving fumble fingers and a foul machine. It's going to take ages for him to move from backup energy big to anything else, if he ever does. He's a Biyombo esque dude, it took Bismack 7 years to learn how to catch a ball and then he forgot how after one season. At least Ike can catch Alley oops and has big hands. That's his only offensive skill.

All of the bigs after Markannen are huge question marks, except Isaiah Hartenstein who's going to be a superstar. I'm warming up to John Collins even he doesn't have a 7'5 wingspan, he's an offensive pf who will help a team score a lot, maybe on the bench and maybe not. He seems like a pretty solidly formed player. You'd hope for him to develop on defense, but put him on your bench and they'll probably score more points.

The more condensed games I watch the less I feel certain about any of them. I still need to watch the combine measurement tools rising guys to see if they have what it takes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's a loving fumble fingers and a foul machine. It's going to take ages for him to move from backup energy big to anything else, if he ever does. He's a Biyombo esque dude, it took Bismack 7 years to learn how to catch a ball and then he forgot how after one season. At least Ike can catch Alley oops and has big hands. That's his only offensive skill.

All of the bigs after Markannen are huge question marks, except Isaiah Hartenstein who's going to be a superstar. I'm warming up to John Collins even he doesn't have a 7'5 wingspan, he's an offensive pf who will help a team score a lot, maybe on the bench and maybe not. He seems like a pretty solidly formed player. You'd hope for him to develop on defense, but put him on your bench and they'll probably score more points.

The more condensed games I watch the less I feel certain about any of them. I still need to watch the combine measurement tools rising guys to see if they have what it takes

Unless you think he'll go before Lauri, Zach Collins feels like a slam-dunk to at least be a boring but useful low-usage big that can defend and rebound

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Which one of Zach Collins, TJ Leaf and Tyler Lydon are Charlotte going to draft at 11?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Which one of Zach Collins, TJ Leaf and Tyler Lydon are Charlotte going to draft at 11?

I'd actually be pretty happy with Collins, maybe even over Lauri, but if they draft a white dude way too early it's definitely going to be Kennard

A big man reach obviously doesn't make much sense because they have so much invested in Miles Plumlee

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A Lauri Frank front court sounds fun...to dunk on

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd be fine with taking Lauri and trying to ship Frank off for a replacement-level wing but the ghost of that Boston deal means that they'll probably never let go

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What's the deal with Caleb Swanigan? I feel like he was decently regarded earlier in the draft process, and seemed like a classic mid-to-late first big man who produced in college but has questionable measurables. Now it looks like his stock is solidly in the second.

Size and mobility are understandable concerns, but he's got decent length, and I feel like a big man with a good motor who can shoot and rebound is a good bet to find a role in the league. Would it be a waste to pick him in the first?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Zach Colllins being sold as an NBA ready big is weird. He definitely has quite a bit of potential, but he's as much of a project as just about every other non-Markkanen big I've seen in the draft. There's a reason why Gonzaga played a 6'9" fat guy with a bad beard at center instead of Collins in crunch time, and it's because Collins still makes almost constant mistakes and isn't consistently the rebounder/scorer that people think he is yet.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I like that fat rebounding guy, where's he going?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/870287990932869120

Lakers. Taking. Ball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What could they get for him. Late 1, maybe a couple good 2nds?

I'd trade okafor for him lol.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

What could they get for him. Late 1, maybe a couple good 2nds?

I'd trade okafor for him lol.

Probably something like that. I think even in this cap you can probably get a comparable player for 11 mil a year in FA, though I guess Clarkson still has some upside.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They probably are taking Ball because Johnson is a moron, but Clarkson was always the next Laker to be traded anyway provided something dumb didn't happen with Russell. He plateaued and doesn't look to be the reliable six man or starting SG the Lakers need, but has some value so probably even the last front office would've tried to do this, although however they wouldn't have based it on a two game point guard experiment like Johnson probably did.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Pelicans would love to have Jordan Clarkson instead of Samdarion Inkpot from the Maine Red Claws or Carlos Bomp from the Canton Charge

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

Zach Colllins being sold as an NBA ready big is weird. He definitely has quite a bit of potential, but he's as much of a project as just about every other non-Markkanen big I've seen in the draft. There's a reason why Gonzaga played a 6'9" fat guy with a bad beard at center instead of Collins in crunch time, and it's because Collins still makes almost constant mistakes and isn't consistently the rebounder/scorer that people think he is yet.

He moves really really well for a huge white dude. I was extremely impressed by the tournament games I watched him in, was all who is this guy he's the best on the floor.

I should probably nail down out what "moving well" means since it's the thing I'm always looking for. A fluidity of movement and timely decision making, correct and graceful anticipation and counter-movement. They know what tempo to dance the NBA Dance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

What's the deal with Caleb Swanigan? I feel like he was decently regarded earlier in the draft process, and seemed like a classic mid-to-late first big man who produced in college but has questionable measurables. Now it looks like his stock is solidly in the second.

Size and mobility are understandable concerns, but he's got decent length, and I feel like a big man with a good motor who can shoot and rebound is a good bet to find a role in the league. Would it be a waste to pick him in the first?

He's too short to be an NBA big, has had serious conditioning issues in the recent past, isn't a good athlete, and won't be able to guard anyone. 2nd round seems about right

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

He moves really really well for a huge white dude. I was extremely impressed by the tournament games I watched him in, was all who is this guy he's the best on the floor.

I should probably nail down out what "moving well" means since it's the thing I'm always looking for. A fluidity of movement and timely decision making, correct and graceful anticipation and counter-movement. They know what tempo to dance the NBA Dance.

He's definitely does move well, which is why I'm all for drafting him in the lottery. People are just getting way ahead of themselves, he's gonna need to learn to play basketball.

MourningView posted:

He's too short to be an NBA big, has had serious conditioning issues in the recent past, isn't a good athlete, and won't be able to guard anyone. 2nd round seems about right

He's either a Spurs or Hawks darling reserve or out of the league in two years, I think.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Kind of sounds like why Millsap fell, minus the conditioning and plus played tiny school competition. Not that I'm saying he'll turn into Millsap

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Doesn't Swanigan have like a 7'3" wingspan to compensate for being 6'10"? Heavy dude with long arms is occasionally the best kinda rebounder.

Also he is still fat but as a general intuition I'd assume a dude who's already known for being a stupendous weight-loss sucess story shouldn't have too much trouble going the rest of the way? I dunno maybe that's too big an assumption

solid shooter and his name tools are deceptively athletic I wouldn't mind late first for him one bit. In fact I think he'll be good So There

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Josh Jackson is shorter, lighter and has a significantly smaller wingspan than Caleb Swanigan.

He absolutely owned Caleb when they went head to head. Don't get too caught up in measurables.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had a dream tha Deangelo, John Collins, and Myles Turner dominated a team (looked like Flint Tropics) in the Finals in the future. I won a bunch of money on it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If I were Philly I'd go BPA (Josh Jackson unless Magic comes to his senses) and then try to pick up a secondary ball handler/shooter in free agency. It doesn't make sense to reach for a PG at 3 so unless Ball or (god forbid) Fultz falls to them, they should focus on taking the best player they can and worry about fit later.

Plus they're trading Okafor for Klay which will fix all of their issues

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think DSJ is a reach at 3 at all :shrug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I disagree with you strongly. I wouldn't even want that guy on my team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

I disagree with you strongly. I wouldn't even want that guy on my team.

??? What did he do to you ?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This might be the dumbest mock draft guess I've seen so far, from CBS

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

morestuff posted:

That's a really weird mock draft. It has the Suns taking Tatum even though Josh Jackson is still available.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

That's a really weird mock draft. It has the Suns taking Tatum even though Josh Jackson is still available.

The Suns pick was entirely to justify the 76ers trade by having Josh Jackson still be available.

And the Celtics give up more now than they were willing to give for Paul George, despite winning the lottery is also weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this

• Locked thread