Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, with the zip up binder? I don't put keychains on my bike keys 'cause I don't want poo poo dangling off the ignition.

No it arrived in the mail today. I got a pen with the binder though! Also, it's a step back that the Husky tool kit doesn't include a bottle opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Must have been built on a Friday, the circlip and washer that hold the gear to the pump shaft were never installed, letting the gear move away from where it shpuld sit. While running, the oil pump drive shaft pin fell into the crankcase turning the gear into more of an idler. Oops.

Edit: it's the engine side pump that bit the bullet.

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 1, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

High Protein posted:

Also re: KTM/Husq reliability, I should add that at least both brands give you roadside assistance + a replacement bike if required during the warranty period. At least that saved my vacation when my Duke's engine seized due to a factory fuckup.

thats super cool of them. Way better than my honda which did a 700 mile weekend up the coast with no problems. Some problems would have made me appreciate it more.

Kidding, responsible adults know what they are getting into with a KTM, i just feel bad for the all new riders lusting after them as first bikes

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
KTM still has good motor / bad motor syndrome but gently caress it, saw a buddy's brand new gixxer thou blow the engine at 18 miles. poo poo happens.

My 1290 has 25k on it now, couple of minor issues (battery cable recall, etc) but generally sound / never left me stranded / valves are tightening at .01mm per 10k, which is completely acceptable IMO.

That 390 poo poo wasn't cool though. Dunno how those slipped through QC, hopefully it's all fixed on the 2017 model. Also KTM group sold 180,000 bikes in 2015 for total sales of over a billion $, you're gonna get some QC misses at scale. Ive also never had issues with getting warranty support from KTM through my dealership but that seems very much down to the individual reps for each area.

What I do find hilarious is how much my local dealership bitches about Aprilia.

tjones
May 13, 2005
All brands have and will have issues. My R6 ate three main bearings, the crank, and a conrod at 8k miles. Turned out to be a defective oil pump.

poo poo happens.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The LC8s had a lotta issues worked out by 2010 and are generally damned good engines so long as you keep fresh coolant pumps on it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

High Protein posted:

No it arrived in the mail today. I got a pen with the binder though! Also, it's a step back that the Husky tool kit doesn't include a bottle opener.

That reminds me, I was all annoyed that they gave you a tool kit but nowhere to store it, then discovered the secret compartment under the left radiator shroud. Sure it'll be a total pan in the rear end to actually access, but I still thought it was a cool use of space.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Koruthaiolos posted:

That reminds me, I was all annoyed that they gave you a tool kit but nowhere to store it, then discovered the secret compartment under the left radiator shroud. Sure it'll be a total pan in the rear end to actually access, but I still thought it was a cool use of space.

Yeah it's strange that the manual doesn't mention it, but I didn't end up using it as I didn't like the idea of the toolkit banging around in there. Also, the torx key to access it can be stored in an indent under the seat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

The LC8s had a lotta issues worked out by 2010 and are generally damned good engines so long as you keep fresh coolant pumps on it.

Lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm reminded of the jeep guys who insist their car is an awesome off-roader once you replace the trans and the front diff and the rear diff and all the suspension and do a bunch of modifications to un-break the hopeless factory design instead of just buying a landcruiser/safari.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Mind going a little more in-depth on the hopeless factory design comment?

There are three kinds of Jeep owners in my experience: people who leave them stock and don't really go offroad with them much (but they do just fine when you do non-technical offroading), the crazy die-hard rock-crawlers, and the mall-crawlers with $20K in suspension, fender flares, rock guards, winches, etc. that don't even drive in the rain.

A new Land Cruiser in the States can cost over $80K. You can put together a loving crazy Jeep for that kind of money, one that's way more capable off road than the Toyota, albeit nowhere near as comfortable.

Good luck finding a Safari here, much less one in decent shape that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 2, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You are meaning to say land cruiser not land rover right? Both are capable off road vehicles but one is definitely intended as more off road capable. I know you said toyota, its just funny to compare it to a jeep when they are so dissimilar

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
KTM ownership seems similar to BMW performance car ownership. Even down to cooling systems making GBS threads themselves...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

You are meaning to say land cruiser not land rover right? Both are capable off road vehicles but one is definitely intended as more off road capable. I know you said toyota, its just funny to compare it to a jeep when they are so dissimilar

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/08/toyota-land-cruiser-200-gx-feature/

We don't get the GX model here in the US, but it's sold globally and is the real deal. The luxo barge we get here that can cost north of 80 large is still a lot more capable than you'd expect.

The Safari is a Land Rover.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The safari is a nissan patrol. And TBH I was referring to the 70 series, not the 200, which is what usually hits the mud hereabouts. I will grant that in the US the cost/agony equation swings in jeep's favour because all the parts don't have to come from halfway around the world with a 300% mark-up and the aftermarket community is presumably huge.

PaintVagrant posted:

KTM ownership seems similar to BMW performance car ownership. Even down to cooling systems making GBS threads themselves...

Little bit like this because once you suck up the agony and cost you get a great performance vehicle. But also a little bit like owning an audi because all the plastic parts look horrible and fall off after a few trips outdoors, as well as random things going wrong that you would never expect to go wrong on a 21st century motor vehicle.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 2, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also like an audi because you shouldnt operate out of warranty without a mechanic connection

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha I used to work with a guy who was a die hard Audi fan and even he bought an extended warranty when he bought his new S6 "so he could keep the car longer".

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Presented without comment.
http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is cool, and something I've suspected to be true for a long time, but who the gently caress can be bothered lubing their chain 3-4 times every 1000mi.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Thruxton or Triumph's new Street Cup? YOU DECIDE!

Seriously, though, it looks like a liquid cooled Thruxton.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/classics/street-cup/2017/street-cup

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

DefaultPeanut posted:

Having ranted about all that (there is more if anyone wants)

I'm always down to read hosed up poo poo about manufacturers.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How many here has done a river crossing with your motorcycle?
(definition: if you drop your bike it will ingest water.)

- You are insane, my chrome would fog!
- Once, I had to or it had been a million miles detour.
- Some times.
- If there isn't a river crossing with a random chance to explode my engine there isn't a trip!

Personally I'm at between sometimes and if there isn't. It's a fun challenge, as long as you don't die of frostbite or get eaten by a bear if you gently caress it up.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I did a deep water crossing but it was on a dirt bike, so does that really count?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

- Some times.
- If there isn't a river crossing with a random chance to explode my engine there isn't a trip!

Personally I'm at between sometimes and if there isn't. It's a fun challenge, as long as you don't die of frostbite or get eaten by a bear if you gently caress it up.

Does torrential rain that somehow manages to be wetter than a river crossing count?
I rode my pushbike through the Thames once when it flooded the bike path.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

- Some times.

Most I've managed was about a 1ft deep swampy piece of flooded grass paddock on my Exc. The front went super light and numb and I mostly felt lucky not to fall.

Do big heavy bikes make it easier or harder?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've done a a bunch of crossings with both 135kg and 200kg bikes, size has nothing to do with it. How even / smooth / rocky the ground is everything. Smooth ground, ie non soft sand = easyyyy.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 4, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I went through about 8 inches of water on a flooded road on the CL350, and it was fine, but since the water wasn't even high enough to reach the footpegs ehhhhh I dunno if that counts.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
God dammit. A cornerworker was killed today at the WERA Cycle Jam at Road A. Rider had a bad crash (he is in critical condition last I heard), she ran over to help him, tripped, and got hit by someone else. Turn 7 was her corner for ages; you could always count on her to be there. Such a sweet lady. RIP.

The Nicky tribute on her profile picture hits home :smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

To me its extra sad to me when a volunteer dies on track. Riders are the ones doing fast things most likely to result in injury and they have to accept the risks associated with it, track personnel are race fans who volunteer to scrape them up after a shunt. Very sad.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

LMAO performance bikes

*Farts off on a 80's pot steel iron lung that makes 16hp*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is nothing I love more than a high performance water pump, and I am willing to sacrifice everything to get to the podium in the water pump nationals, even my concept of sound engineering.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

With this component that takes twice as much effort and cost to manufacture, takes three special tools and five hours to replace, and lasts half as long as a conventional until, we gain 0.5% efficiency! - every European engineer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Slavvy posted:

With this component that takes twice as much effort and cost to manufacture, takes three special tools and five hours to replace, and lasts half as long as a conventional until, we gain 0.5% efficiency! - every European engineer in the CAFE era.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim can't help but take a big dump anytime 'KTM' is posted in any thread in CA and I can't help but lube up and defend them. We each have our roles to play.

I went digging to see, at least in recalls, what the numbers look like and they are not super easy to find in a central way and gently caress putting real effort into it.

That said, visor down did an article about most recalls in the last 10 years.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-recalls-manufacturer

Pretty much is who you'd expect (by total sales and ineptitude), but no KTM on the list. I went to NHTSA's website and searched by manufacturer and tried to remove duplicates that were one recall that affected multiple years of bikes (aka, one recall vs showing the same one 6 times) over the last 10 years and came up with 7 recalls. The data isn't easy to sort through and I don't know how they categorize this stuff but it's the lowest hanging fruit I could find.

So, not really seeing the problem other than 'LOL KAY TEE EM' and anecdotal evidence. The first year India bikes did have growing pains, but KTM has gone from a offroad manufacturer to selling more street bikes than Ducati in the last few years so, well, growing pains.

Plus I can forgive European manufacturers for making more mistakes because they are actually making interesting bikes that try new things. Yamaha builds a new R6 and uses the same engine they've been using since 2006 in it and they don't have any issues? Great! I guess...

Meanwhile, KTM will sell you a Motard from 125-690 CC's, soon to be 800 CC's, or in flavors of sport bikes, a SuperDuke in multiple flavors, ADV bikes in any engine and tire size you could want, etc

What is Suzuki making these days thats interesting? They took the fairings off a GSXR 750. They brought the (old) SV 650 back. Am I forgetting anything?

You can still buy a DRZ for $7,200, if that your jam. I'll give them that.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Jim can't help but take a big dump anytime 'KTM' is posted in any thread in CA and I can't help but lube up and defend them. We each have our roles to play.

I went digging to see, at least in recalls, what the numbers look like and they are not super easy to find in a central way and gently caress putting real effort into it.

That said, visor down did an article about most recalls in the last 10 years.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-recalls-manufacturer

Pretty much is who you'd expect (by total sales and ineptitude), but no KTM on the list. I went to NHTSA's website and searched by manufacturer and tried to remove duplicates that were one recall that affected multiple years of bikes (aka, one recall vs showing the same one 6 times) over the last 10 years and came up with 7 recalls. The data isn't easy to sort through and I don't know how they categorize this stuff but it's the lowest hanging fruit I could find.

So, not really seeing the problem other than 'LOL KAY TEE EM' and anecdotal evidence. The first year India bikes did have growing pains, but KTM has gone from a offroad manufacturer to selling more street bikes than Ducati in the last few years so, well, growing pains.

Plus I can forgive European manufacturers for making more mistakes because they are actually making interesting bikes that try new things. Yamaha builds a new R6 and uses the same engine they've been using since 2006 in it and they don't have any issues? Great! I guess...

Meanwhile, KTM will sell you a Motard from 125-690 CC's, soon to be 800 CC's, or in flavors of sport bikes, a SuperDuke in multiple flavors, ADV bikes in any engine and tire size you could want, etc

What is Suzuki making these days thats interesting? They took the fairings off a GSXR 750. They brought the (old) SV 650 back. Am I forgetting anything?

You can still buy a DRZ for $7,200, if that your jam. I'll give them that.

Well of course it's difficult to find recall data for a company that never issues recalls regardless of how defective their poo poo is. :cheeky:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I wonder if I would still enjoy KTM/Husqvarna bikes if they were reliable. I owned a Buell before, after all, and a while after I sold that I bought an Oldsmobile Alero, which is a piece of poo poo and impossible to get parts for here in the Netherlands, to fill the hole my 690 couldn't quite fill.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suzuki makes a wide range of bikes that you can count on to get you home and won't require you to have any part numbers memorized.

Also they make a naked gsxr1000 as well if that's more your jam. I rode one last week, it's a phenomenal bike and feels like my (old) SV on steroids.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

High Protein posted:

I bought an Oldsmobile Alero

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :suicide:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

High Protein posted:

I wonder if I would still enjoy KTM/Husqvarna bikes if they were reliable. I owned a Buell before, after all, and a while after I sold that I bought an Oldsmobile Alero, which is a piece of poo poo and impossible to get parts for here in the Netherlands, to fill the hole my 690 couldn't quite fill.

There is something to that. Some people get a thrill from that stuff.

Although I'm surprised you can't get alero parts as it's on a platform shared with a billion other GM models, some of which I'd assume we're sold in the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doesn't the alero have a biturbo engine or something?