Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I burst out laughing when the song came on. Between that, Branagh's terribly fake mustache and accent, and the bad color grading, it almost makes me think this is some kind of broad satire or deliberate camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Seeing Depp with the mustache reminds me of Mortdecai and it makes me sad. To cleanse my palette I will watch The Ninth Gate, a documentary about how Johnny Depp smokes cigarettes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i forgot the plot but i hope depp gets killed in the first 10 minutes and there are no flashbacks at all

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Dope new Baby Driver trailer set to a remix of Tequila. It almost seems like Wright cuts his own trailers with how well they sync up to the music and sound effects and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclDC3xt5AA

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What I get from this thread is that more people should watch Lumet's version of Murder on the Orient Express. Dude knows how to make a compelling bottle movie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Colonel Whitey posted:

Dope new Baby Driver trailer set to a remix of Tequila. It almost seems like Wright cuts his own trailers with how well they sync up to the music and sound effects and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclDC3xt5AA

Hot drat this looks good

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

bows1 posted:

Hot drat this looks good

Wright's been doing LA screenings with his entertainment industry pals and so far they're all raving about it.

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

i forgot the plot but i hope depp gets killed in the first 10 minutes and there are no flashbacks at all

(Book spoilers) Well, if they're faithful to the book, that's what's gonna happen, but I bet they're going to change something.

Pro-click.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

What I get from this thread is that more people should watch Lumet's version of Murder on the Orient Express. Dude knows how to make a compelling bottle movie.

Yeah that's the other thing. Anybody who's ever felt anything besides the rush of cocaine knows there's no reason to make another Murder on the Orient Express after Lumet's masterpiece.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Trying to imagine how ill-fitting the music will be at the end of the trailer for To Kill a Mockingbird (2018) guest-starring Johnny Depp

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

anticake posted:

This was proved false by the way. Also wasn't the bottom of the ocean it was in a lake in Califonia. Also also wasn't arsenic based life it was still carbon based it just appeared that the organism had swapped phosphorus, an essential building block of life, with arsenic. It hadn't, though.

haha ok

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OT but id like to see someone photoshop branaghs moustache onto Jeb!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Trying to imagine how ill-fitting the music will be at the end of the trailer for To Kill a Mockingbird (2018) guest-starring Johnny Depp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bCLPwzSC0

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Colonel Whitey posted:

Wright's been doing LA screenings with his entertainment industry pals and so far they're all raving about it.

I saw a panel with the editor at an Avid conference just before NAB this year. Crazy fucker was editing the video tap on set for all but 2 weeks of the shoot. Shoot a setup, hand over to editor, "does it work?", move on. To the point where he was strapped into the back of the camera car during chase scenes, it sounded stupid as hell but he seemed happy to do it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dillbag posted:

I saw a panel with the editor at an Avid conference just before NAB this year. Crazy fucker was editing the video tap on set for all but 2 weeks of the shoot. Shoot a setup, hand over to editor, "does it work?", move on. To the point where he was strapped into the back of the camera car during chase scenes, it sounded stupid as hell but he seemed happy to do it.

That's loving insane

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

haha this is so awful

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Demian Bichir's looking pretty loc'd out in this trailer for Lowriders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POLwiL3DHwA

Sounds pretty eye-rolling, but Bichir looks like he's eating up that role.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

I'm OBSESSED with New York of that era. Can hardly loving wait.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kiiiiimoooo!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha I have nothing to do with domestic launch trailers based on a special shoot using imagine dragons to modernize it because it tests better because people suck.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ruddiger posted:

Demian Bichir's looking pretty loc'd out in this trailer for Lowriders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POLwiL3DHwA

Sounds pretty eye-rolling, but Bichir looks like he's eating up that role.

yea script seems dumb as hell but the bits ofg acting seem excellent

ill check it out i guess

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

That's loving insane

Yep. After the panel I asked him if he ever had reservations that he could be blamed months later if they discovered a scene didn't work in editing. He basically said "Nope. Edgar knows what he wants to shoot and what he needs for the scene. He has my back and just wants to make sure I have everything I need. It's a great opportunity to ask for shots that I think will help".

More power to him, I guess. Although, I did die a little inside when he told me the only way for the assiatant editors to automatically rebuild his cut with processed dailies in editorial was with sound timecode, and if something was MOS they had to eye match.

:cry:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This is a good poster.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Would depp be the shut-in?

Dillbag posted:

What does this mean? Why is it unusual?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I mean we already have organisms at the bottom of the ocean that are built on arsenic: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/02/AR2010120204183.html

ANd we've already built silicon based lifeforms: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/researchers-take-small-step-toward-silicon-based-life

THe universe is truly a crazy place, just look around here

It's especially crazy if you post popular science articles with misleading content without having a clue what you're talking about.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

clown shoes posted:

This is a good poster.

Yes, yes. I agree.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

got any sevens posted:

What does this mean? Why is it unusual?

Phone posting so I'll be brief. But usually when you shoot, the footage is recorded to files on a card/media that's all gathered and edited in the comfort of an editing suite after the fact.

For this process all of the files are still being recorded to media, but you also have an editor who is essentially tapped into a live feed from the cameras and manually recording his own little clips so right then and there he/she can edit real time on the fly and show the results to the director.

They then take their on-set edit and match it back up with the full resolution media (that's being shot to card) in the editing suite.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

There's quite a few people who are convinced that will be the norm going forward as well. It's not that unusual. Infinity War is doing something similar to keep reshoots down and ensure they are using the cast to the best of their abilities whilst they have them except in this case it's one of the brothers editing whilst the other directs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PriorMarcus posted:

Infinity War is doing something similar to keep reshoots down and ensure they are using the cast to the best of their abilities whilst they have them except in this case it's one of the brothers editing whilst the other directs.

Sounds like they're trying to keep costs down, the poor guys are probably working on a limited budget.

/googles Infinity War production budget

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

/googles Infinity War production budget

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

:stare:

I declare that to be an illegal ammount of money!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Most of that money is going into the Sticky Mocap Ping Pong Ball Jumpsuit fund.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 2, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mods rename pls

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

clown shoes posted:

This is a good poster.

A still of that poster should be the 2 minute trailer.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Phone posting so I'll be brief. But usually when you shoot, the footage is recorded to files on a card/media that's all gathered and edited in the comfort of an editing suite after the fact.

For this process all of the files are still being recorded to media, but you also have an editor who is essentially tapped into a live feed from the cameras and manually recording his own little clips so right then and there he/she can edit real time on the fly and show the results to the director.

They then take their on-set edit and match it back up with the full resolution media (that's being shot to card) in the editing suite.

A good and much less long winded explanation than I would have given.

I'll give Edgar Wright a pass because he knows what he's doing, but on-set editing usually happens because of distrust, inexperience or pure laziness. If a director knows what they're doing and knows what they're shooting, you don't need to edit on set.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

A good and much less long winded explanation than I would have given.

I'll give Edgar Wright a pass because he knows what he's doing, but on-set editing usually happens because of distrust, inexperience or pure laziness. If a director knows what they're doing and knows what they're shooting, you don't need to edit on set.

100% true. We've done it onset twice ... Both for :30 commercials and it was a goddamn nightmare. For something like Baby Driver Edgar, as you mentioned, pretty much knows what he wants and is most likely the sole or strongest voice making those calls at the moment.

In the commercial world it's just as terrible and cliche as you can imagine. You have the director, the clients, the creative director from the agency and other "leaders" who all want to chime in. It was utterly infuriating and we don't do it anymore.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

100% true. We've done it onset twice ... Both for :30 commercials and it was a goddamn nightmare. For something like Baby Driver Edgar, as you mentioned, pretty much knows what he wants and is most likely the sole or strongest voice making those calls at the moment.

In the commercial world it's just as terrible and cliche as you can imagine. You have the director, the clients, the creative director from the agency and other "leaders" who all want to chime in. It was utterly infuriating and we don't do it anymore.

Grody. I can only imagine the feeling you get when the idiot director asks "so, do we have it?" and 100 crew members all stop and stare at you silently as you sweat behind the screen of your 15" MacBook, squinting at the grainy SD footage, wondering if it's out of focus of if it's just because you're looking at a 640x480 2.5Mbps QuickTime.

vvvv dsyp

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 2, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Actually that poster is boring and bad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

clown shoes posted:

This is a good poster.

If the 'blood' was like a that of a wound under water and not recoloured steam, maybe.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BonoMan posted:

Dillbag posted:

Grody. I can only imagine the feeling you get when the idiot director asks "so, do we have it?" and 100 crew members all stop and stare at you silently as you sweat behind the screen of your 15" MacBook, squinting at the grainy SD footage, wondering if it's out of focus of if it's just because you're looking at a 640x480 2.5Mbps QuickTime.

vvvv dsyp

Does it make more sense in this case, where the entire movie is apparently edited to music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Does it make more sense in this case, where the entire movie is apparently edited to music?

I don't think so. Imho it probably makes less sense given the extra time it takes to sync all the footage together and to a music track. For every minute 100+ crew members are standing around waiting for an editor to finish clicky clicky, the production is burning thousands and thousands of dollars.

• Locked thread