Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Looks like people are finally starting to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
"This is the worst thing to ever happen! These big corps should protest it!" They shout, not realising that if said corporations really give a poo poo they'll keep working towards cleaner energy use anyway

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

Companies are driven by money not good feelings, if it means an extra 2c per product shipped most will gladly pump deadly gasses into the atmosphere.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Over There posted:

Lmao yea that's what will happen

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
asking corporations to take over for government takes us one step towards the cyberpunk dystopia I desire to live in and as such I'm all for it

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Its TYOOL 2017 and people who have graduated from college think business is about good feelings and not mad profits.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

theperminator posted:

Its TYOOL 2017 and people who have graduated from college think business is about good feelings and not mad profits.

Nah MBA's are still about murdering people to save a few bucks

But I'm reminded of this:

https://twitter.com/stephmcmahon/status/581881800659591168

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lol "I know you've never shot a gun and have absolutely no goddamn idea or concept of gun safety but you need a gun to stop this! THE RESISTANCE IS MOBILIZING"

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

theperminator posted:

Because none of them studied business, economics, or anything similar.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
"The U.S. technically cannot pull out of the Paris Agreement until November 2019, and the U.S. must give a year's notice before it can take steps to withdraw. This means the changes Trump proposes cannot take effect until 2020, although reports suggest there are ways to speed up the process."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/01/obama-withdrawing-from-climate-accord-cost-jobs-new-industries.html

lmao, he's not even doing anything but riling up the left and it's working so easy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's p funny watching the spin to make every comment he makes positive

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mnoba posted:

"The U.S. technically cannot pull out of the Paris Agreement until November 2019, and the U.S. must give a year's notice before it can take steps to withdraw. This means the changes Trump proposes cannot take effect until 2020, although reports suggest there are ways to speed up the process."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/01/obama-withdrawing-from-climate-accord-cost-jobs-new-industries.html

lmao, he's not even doing anything but riling up the left and it's working so easy

The sole basis for international law is the United States military. There is no other credible enforcement agency.

Trump could wipe his rear end with the treaty-that's-not-a-treaty and the Paris Agreement would actually gain legitimacy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tallgeese posted:

It was utterly toothless. An agreement without consequences for violating it may as well not exist and you know it.

Pure rage at Trump may motivate a second spite agreement that is stronger a number of years down the line as well.

In other words, Trump's legacy will be good for America no matter which side of this issue you're on

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

theperminator posted:

"This is the worst thing to ever happen! These big corps should protest it!" They shout, not realising that if said corporations really give a poo poo they'll keep working towards cleaner energy use anyway

The corps probably encouraged him to axe it in private, while publicly making a show of protesting it. Remember what Hillary said about needing separate public and private positions?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

It's interesting to see all these hard hat blue collar guys go to bat for Jared Kushner every morning.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

CassandraZara posted:

Google should be reclassified as a utility

this, but unironically

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The corps probably encouraged him to axe it in private, while publicly making a show of protesting it. Remember what Hillary said about needing separate public and private positions?

Which is why it's so funny to see them crying about how horrible it is and how the corporations should help them, as usual liberals can't see more than 3 feet in front of their face.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I thought you guys would loving love the idea of everything ran by corporations on a free market. Hell yeah libertarianism.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
How to tell if a big international agreement is bad:

The EU is 100% on board.

How to tell if it's worse than bad:

Obama negotiated the details.

How to tell if its cataclysmic:

China is on board.

Pure evil straight from Satan's rear end in a top hat:

The major corporations it affects are it's biggest proponents.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bholder posted:

I thought you guys would loving love the idea of everything ran by corporations on a free market. Hell yeah libertarianism.

You mean the carbon credits market?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Oh boy another wall street tax on actually productive activities!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The Intercept posted:

t was oil companies like the one Tillerson worked at for 41 years whose relentless lobbying helped ensure that the commitments made in Paris lack any meaningful enforcement mechanisms. That’s why one month after the agreement was negotiated, Exxon Mobil, with Tillerson still at the helm, came out with a report stating that “we expect oil, natural gas, and coal to continue to meet about 80 percent of global demand” between now and 2040. It was a bald expression of hubris by the purveyors of business as usual. Exxon knows full well that if we want a decent chance of keeping warming below 1.5-2 degrees, the stated goal of the Paris Agreement, the global economy needs to be virtually fossil-free by mid-century. But Exxon could offer those assurances to its investors — and claim it supported the agreement — because it knew that the Paris accord had no binding force.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Harrower posted:

How to tell if a big international agreement is bad:

The EU is 100% on board.

How to tell if it's worse than bad:

Obama negotiated the details.

How to tell if its cataclysmic:

China is on board.

Pure evil straight from Satan's rear end in a top hat:

The major corporations it affects are it's biggest proponents.

This applies to domestic legislation too. See: the ACA

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
The US is subsidizing battery storage tech, and used 11% renewables in 2015 which is rising at record pace year over year.

Through fracking we are reshaping the global fossil fuel market, taking money out of the hands of most evil, corrupt, shitheads on the planet at the expense of turning our own kitchen sinks into flamethrowers if ignited.

The world can shut up and kiss my rear end.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lmaooooo the intercept calling something a bald expression of hubris there is no :ironicat: big enough

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Bholder posted:

it's almost as if you wallow in here and sling poo poo at people without actually knowing a goddamned thing about anything

like number one, taking any of us seriously

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mnoba posted:

Through fracking we are reshaping the global fossil fuel market, taking money out of the hands of most evil, corrupt, shitheads on the planet at the expense of turning our own kitchen sinks into flamethrowers if ignited.

But oil companies are the ones doing the fracking?!????

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Lmaooooo the intercept calling something a bald expression of hubris there is no :ironicat: big enough

I respect the intercept because they are the nice kind of dumb - they seem to actually believe in doing the right thing sometimes, so they are of course constantly beaten and ostracized by the liberal media no matter how hard they try to fit in and the whole thing is equal measures of sad and adorable

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

But oil companies are the ones doing the fracking?!????

American oil execs > Saudi oil execs

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Blue Train posted:

Generally, the quicker the thread turns to random liberal overreactions, the dumber the thing that Trump did.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

The Landstander posted:

Generally, the quicker the thread turns to random liberal overreactions, the dumber the thing that Trump did.

https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/796204428814450688

https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/796259238590824449

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Didn't you know, if the country is divided you have to force everyone who disagrees with you to take your side.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I'm glad to see she's been interested in trying to open up a dialogue lately, and I hope the internet is not too mean to her.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mnoba posted:

There is no enforcement clause to the treaty and congress never ratified it, so he can do whatever he wants.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I've got fifty jobs right now thanks to trump and his bright ideas which are in no way stupid or retarded and I'm looking to sell a few.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

lol what a funny night that was

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

lol what a funny night that was

I was so drunk, it was great

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

Same. I was in a group chat with a bunch of friends and I had to type out my words because when I tried to talk it was just a bunch of drunken laughing.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/just-how-many-obama-2012-trump-2016-voters-were-there/

apparently like 8 mil obama voters voted for trump lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

She looks 15.

sex educator. rogue feminist. let's talk genitals.

• Locked thread