Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Light Gun Man posted:

Have they worked in the hip youngster slang "squad up" into Power Rangers yet

When the whole squad is on point 👌 💖 💲

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

If not for the fact that part of the marketing was still targeting the same audience that normal PR was aiming for, I'd say the money might've been better spent on a limited mini-series on Netflix or HBO or something. Maybe 7 episodes or something.

I can't see HBO wanting to touch it all but I could certainly see Netflix/Hulu/Amazon doing something tonally in line with what the movie delivered. I mean with Netflix cashing in so hard on the 80's nostalgia they've got to hit the 90's eventually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They probably made a mistake in going for PG-13 instead of PG. What they would have had to change in order to get a PG would probably not have been substantial. It felt the PG-13 was simply because of a couple gags (jacking off a bull, "pee in that cup") and the sexting thing, all of which feels like making content to push the rating up and not the other way around.

This movie's origins goes all the way back to those dumb "what if Hollywood made Power Rangers today as an adult series" fan projects like Power/Rangers and MMPR, but it also wanted to sell a toy line, so who knows. I get the feeling that they can probably make a sequel if Saban gives the studio a cut of merchandising, aims for a PG rating, and creates a plot that introduces a bunch of things that can be made into toys. "Green joins and brings a cool weapon and an awesome zord to help the original five beat Zedd." That sort of thing.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don't think pg-13 is a problem. Avengers and much of the MCU is pg-13 and kids love those movies and they make serious money. Power Rangers should have been able to do that too. I'm not sure what the problem was. Maybe Power Rangers is seen as too childish and couldn't pull in general audiences. It's kind of always been a niche franchise even amongst general geek circles. It's a franchise that's just old enough to have nostalgia, but lacks a certain depth or continued relevance that other childish franchises have. Transformers and TMNT are taken a lot more seriously than Power Rangers despite all of them being silly 20 minute toy adverts. They probably should have marketed this movie more as a being an "Avengers Lite" instead of so seriously. Big explosions, big laughs, big thrills. They kinda leaned too far into taking themselves seriously and lost a lot of viewers. But that's just my opinion.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

Transformers and TMNT are taken a lot more seriously than Power Rangers

Well TMNT 2 took a loss similar in size to Ghostbusters or Ghost In The Shell. They won't be making another one of those for a while. Breaking even with only two recognizable actors who are both limited to co-stars wasn't too bad in comparison.

I just don't see what PG-13 provided except a couple jokes about bodily functions, a few throwaway lines about sex, and a few scenes of dental-related violence. Maybe you need it if you want to stab a monster with a giant sword?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Well TMNT 2 took a loss similar in size to Ghostbusters or Ghost In The Shell. They won't be making another one of those for a while. Breaking even with only two recognizable actors who are both limited to co-stars wasn't too bad in comparison.

I just don't see what PG-13 provided except a couple jokes about bodily functions, a few throwaway lines about sex, and a few scenes of dental-related violence.
Did Ghostbusters do poorly? That's disappointing, I enjoyed it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

Did Ghostbusters do poorly? That's disappointing, I enjoyed it.

It was a critical success and commercial failure. This led to a bunch of grunting about "See these FILM ELITISTS don't know what real audiences want to see! #MAGA"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There is TMNT that can be taken seriously and enjoyed as an adult, but for some reason they refuse to ever use any of it for adaptation, even though the most successful TMNT movie (the first one) actually was pretty close to that material.

TMNT shouldn't be using PG-13 for dick jokes, it should be using it for stabbing Shredder in the gut and giving him a chance to kill himself with honor before he pulls a grenade and gets blown the gently caress up. Of if they actually got a couple more movies deep, the real poo poo about adoptive family and the cycle of revenge.

it just really bothers me that they keep doing new TMNT stuff that's somehow trying to ape the old cartoon but also go all "this ain't your daddy's tmnt!!!" at the same time. Just loving adapt mirage aaaaa :spergin:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was a critical success in much the same way Iron Man 2 was a critical success: technically. ~%75 positive reviews but many of them very tepidly so. Most along the lines of "This film has no script or coherent plot or character development but Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are funny."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
TMNT suffers from a problem that I discussed in ADTRW's Digimon thread, where you have too many different audiences who expect all kinds of different things. My exposure to the franchise was first through the toys, then the NES games, and then through the goofy cartoon on Saturday Mornings. Then my paper started carrying the strip and it looked completely not what I expected.

Everybody's favorite example of this is Sonic The Hedgehog, because it's got the right mix of gems buried in poo poo and pathetically stunted fanbase. But TMNT is an even worse case because the level of violence people expect can be anywhere depending on what media they like best. I always thought the CGI cartoon from ten years ago did the best job of trying to balance that load.

PR only has a little bit of this, in that they seem to be targeting into nostalgia for the original Saban era (I guess the kids who grew up with Wild Force onwards got crushed by the recession, which might play a part). But even among fans of the Zordon era are sort of frustrated with how season 1 focused they are.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's also just the fact that part of what made MMPR work was super heroes fighting goofy/awesome monsters week to week.

In the movie, there's almost none of that. You get some kind of boring rock golems without any personality and then you get Rita's zord now named Goldar who again has no personality. Rita is the only villain in the movie, and that's really goddamn boring when they don't even have a real fight with her.

Basically from what I've heard about the movie from those that liked it, they nailed the human cast and human segments, but completely missed on the actual Power Ranger stuff.

As much as the first movie is a really awful movie movie, though a terrific kids adventure movie, it was packed to the brim with stupid monsters. Oozemen, the Tengu, the random skeleton dinosaurs, the rock monsters, and the three different evil giant robots.

Even the Turbo movie at least had the pirate monsters.

The first movie simply didn't have the Power Rangers being Power Rangers enough. It was all set up, and entirely back loaded set up at that. If I had to guess that'd be a huge reason why it bombed in China. The big action robot CGI stuff they eat up balances out the action a lot better, even if the action itself is questionable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This may be one of the few movie sequels to actually be improved by being twisted in favor of increasing toy sales.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Burkion posted:

There's also just the fact that part of what made MMPR work was super heroes fighting goofy/awesome monsters week to week.

In the movie, there's almost none of that. You get some kind of boring rock golems without any personality and then you get Rita's zord now named Goldar who again has no personality. Rita is the only villain in the movie, and that's really goddamn boring when they don't even have a real fight with her.

Basically from what I've heard about the movie from those that liked it, they nailed the human cast and human segments, but completely missed on the actual Power Ranger stuff.

As much as the first movie is a really awful movie movie, though a terrific kids adventure movie, it was packed to the brim with stupid monsters. Oozemen, the Tengu, the random skeleton dinosaurs, the rock monsters, and the three different evil giant robots.

Even the Turbo movie at least had the pirate monsters.

The first movie simply didn't have the Power Rangers being Power Rangers enough. It was all set up, and entirely back loaded set up at that. If I had to guess that'd be a huge reason why it bombed in China. The big action robot CGI stuff they eat up balances out the action a lot better, even if the action itself is questionable.

That's a pretty good description of the movie. I mean, I liked watching all five teens bond with each other and become a team unlike the TV show where they all just seemed to be besties before the release of Rita.

Iron Man had a weak climax as well, but you got to see Tony Stark experiment with his suits and do things with them before the fight against Iron Monger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He also fought terrorists and had that whole opening bit with the Mark 1 suit, yeah.

Iron Man is also not known for fighting monsters, while that's the Power Rangers entire thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Burkion posted:

He also fought terrorists and had that whole opening bit with the Mark 1 suit, yeah.

Iron Man is also not known for fighting monsters, while that's the Power Rangers entire thing.

My knowledge of Iron Man adds up to seeing Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and playing the four-player arcade version of Captain America and the Avengers to completion once with a roll of quarters to get our group there.

But my point about my comparison is that in Iron Man, Tony Stark does poo poo with his equipment and learns how to use it and improve it throughout the whole movie. You don't even see a teenager in a suit until late in the second act and it's only for a moment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Basically less artsy, more fartsy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I quite enjoyed the film, but I went in with like zero expectations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
People didn't go to the movie because it looked bad, I don't know why everyone's over thinking this. It's a real shame the art direction in the film did it no favors because​ it's way better than any of those modern transformers or ninja turtle films.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

People didn't go to the movie because it looked bad, I don't know why everyone's over thinking this. It's a real shame the art direction in the film did it no favors because​ it's way better than any of those modern transformers or ninja turtle films.

That wouldn't have stopped China.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Have they worked in the hip youngster slang "squad up" into Power Rangers yet

edit: That reminds me, I'd probably watch Hip Hop Voltron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnX-GA9omNg

Dude, tag those spoilers for season 3 of Legendary Defender!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

The somewhat organic tech alien suits were bad.

The zordformers were mehhhh. There was like literally no explanation for them getting the Megazord up, but them using the zords for a cool sequence was nice.

If it gets a sequel, I expect the suits to evolve and be less alien, maybe with some Zeo Crystal shenanigans.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, I liked the designs of the suits and Zords specifically because they didn't look human. Growing up watching MMPR, I felt like the show was trying (at times) to say that the powers involved were incredibly ancient and inherently alien. Hard to jive that with the budget and effects they could do.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FilthyImp posted:

There was like literally no explanation for them getting the Megazord up

The suits were melted together, and formed a shape like the dominant species on the planet now; humans.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Senerio posted:

The suits were melted together, and formed a shape like the dominant species on the planet now; humans.

FilthyImp posted:

There was like literally no explanation for them getting the Megazord up

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Megazord is the last fifteen minutes of the movie. It doesn't need to do some swoopy fly by of dinosaurs disassembling and merging together in mid air. The thing was just a metaphor for how these five kids had all gotten on the same page that they could coherently drive the thing.

If you were disappointed you didn't get to see how it pieces together, a group I would include myself in, the movie wasn't for you (or me). The ongoing PR series/toy commercial is for you. The adults they were going for here are the kind that stopped watching no later than the MMPR movie, aren't likely to care how they fit together. The target audience is (supposed to be) impressed that they managed to pull off the giant robot thing gracefully, with it actually fitting into the story theme and likewise the story theme papering over the old "how were they all driving that thing" question.

You and me, the die-hards, we got insider references like the Zeo Crystal, we recognized an Old Rangers Cameo, and had "whoa was that an Aquitar fish-person?" continuity nods. That was our thank you for supporting a project that, ultimately, needed to appeal to outside of fandom if it was going to have any hope. It still didn't work. Haim Saban found the limits of how much cash there really is in this IP (less than Transformers), and thankfully for us it wasn't so catastrophic as to get the show cancelled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't imagine it'd get the show cancelled no matter how bad it flopped, PR's been one of the best IPs for toy sales for several years now, IIRC.

(Since Dino Charge, I think? I'd check, but :effort: )

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The movie wouldn't have suffered one bit if there was a big flashy sequence showing the megazord being formed. Especially since one of the major complaints is the fact that nothing happens for the majority of the films run time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

The Megazord is the last fifteen minutes of the movie. It doesn't need to do some swoopy fly by of dinosaurs disassembling and merging together in mid air. The thing was just a metaphor for how these five kids had all gotten on the same page that they could coherently drive the thing.

If you were disappointed you didn't get to see how it pieces together, a group I would include myself in, the movie wasn't for you (or me). The ongoing PR series/toy commercial is for you. The adults they were going for here are the kind that stopped watching no later than the MMPR movie, aren't likely to care how they fit together. The target audience is (supposed to be) impressed that they managed to pull off the giant robot thing gracefully, with it actually fitting into the story theme and likewise the story theme papering over the old "how were they all driving that thing" question.

You and me, the die-hards, we got insider references like the Zeo Crystal, we recognized an Old Rangers Cameo, and had "whoa was that an Aquitar fish-person?" continuity nods. That was our thank you for supporting a project that, ultimately, needed to appeal to outside of fandom if it was going to have any hope. It still didn't work. Haim Saban found the limits of how much cash there really is in this IP (less than Transformers), and thankfully for us it wasn't so catastrophic as to get the show cancelled.

See I largely agree with you on a few points, especially where it fails for us VS what would have worked for the general audience

The thing is, this movie did not take keynotes from the Transformers films.

If it had it would have been more successful.

The problem I highlighted earlier is still the crippling problem with the film- there's not enough super hero poo poo going on. You have virtually nothing until the last 20 minutes, and there nothing of note really happens.

In the Transformers film, we got the first giant robot fight about, what, 20 minutes in? We met Optimus not too long after.

It didn't have a lot of action, but it peppered it through out.

You can't back end something like this unless you really make it worth it, like Godzilla 2014.

This was not Godzilla 2014.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And even Godzilla 2014 wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Megazord is a good metaphor of teamwork, but five robots getting pushed into a molten crater and rising out of it combined with no explanation was pretty awkward. I guess it's just fuckin magic alien technology, I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Morphing Grid is presented as the ultimate God/Force/Underlying Principle of this universe. Even Zordon isn't absolutely sure of how it works, nor is he truly capable of wielding it. By tapping into the actual potential of the Zords, the new Rangers show that they've surpassed both Zordon and Rita (though they also couldn't have done it if Zordon hadn't sacrificed his freedom to help them).

Basically, the essence of the Morphing Grid is attitude, and the ancient Rangers simply didn't have it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God dammit

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Each Transformer film has painstakingly detailed transformations for literally each one though. People care, it looks cool, and it's the appeal of power rangers! The movie didn't do as well because it tried to be a fake YA movie when people hate those. Dumb action movies are in. Did they not notice marvel movies at all while filming this? They should been morphed by 30 minutes in and losing fights until the end. People like alot of villains, people like big sweeping action shots, detailed transformations, it's not hard. Nobody going to this movie wanted some deep plot or characters they wanted their stereotypes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm just saying they missed a great storytelling beat to have Billy (the autist savant that accidentally morphed to begin with) find a way to save his friends.

I didn't need an expanded interconnecting segment, just literally trying everything until he gets a "what's this button do" moment.

I'll also be the odd man out and say that I liked the YA characterization, which helped distinguish it as it's own PR Thing.
But god is all the late movie morph stuff rushed as gently caress. It's like they said "suits on robots walking pack up the story we're done here dudes"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, the sequel should be an action-filled popcorn flick where stubborn jock Jason and cool loner Tommy have to work together to battle evil space rogue Zedd and destroy the engine of his Serpentera superweapon?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 9, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

So, the sequel should be an action-filled popcorn flick where stubborn jock Jason and cool loner Tommy have to work together to battle evil space rouge Zedd and destroy the engine of his Serpentera superweapon?

Honestly if they could just marry action scenes through out the film with the character work they already have, that would be fine.

Again, I think the reason why the movie failed is just because ALL of the action is at the end of the movie. It doesn't have to lose its strengths, just spread out the action work.

That or make the action actually worth the wait. What we got, wasn't.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, you could start off with the ranger-on-ranger action people associate with Green Ranger, and then shift over to "They Both Take On The Real Bad Guy" in the course of a movie. And if that actually succeeds and does well the way some movie sequels out-gross the first one, then they can complete it with the final movie where Rita returns with the Psycho Rangers (or whatever the gently caress you want to call 'em, basically an evil ranger team that's ridiculously powerful but can hardly get along.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. Having Evil Green Ranger Tommy would be nothing but a boon to things because it'd make for much easier and much more personal fight scenes.

We wouldn't have Power Rangers as a franchise the way it is without Green With Evil, so a movie adaptation of it should be stellar if they hit the same kind of notes. Not a one to one remake, but the same basic structure would work well with a big movie.

And honestly the Psycho Rangers are the best/only actually good evil Ranger team, so just bringing them over wholesale would be fantastic. They've easily got the best name of any of them.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I got the perfect idea. Just theatrically run all 5 episodes of Green with Evil as a movie. It's cheap to do and nobody will notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Because my idea involved everybody's favorite civilization-exterminating dragon from the stars. Except in bitchin' CGI.

(speaking of power creep in this show, consider that Astronema somehow fit a Serpentera-like deathbomb on one of her puny fighter ships.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 9, 2017