Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That sounds great, especially the Severn Valley connection. That gives the story kind of a True Detective S1 kind of feel - the father dealt with something but the underlying cause is still out there. Flashbacks to the cat and mouse chase (or having to chase something else through the same woods) seems like they'd be appropriately creepy.

Plus, Ramsey Campbell's stuff is lots of fun and often less immediately familiar to Lovecraft fans.

For the father: it doesn't seem unreasonable that he wouldn't want to talk about the experience and even asks his son to stay away from anything of the kind. Over the game, he only reveals more when it becomes obvious that the character will not be deterred.

It depends on how heavy you want to go with the mechanics... but in terms of pacing, it might make sense that if the character's father reveals everything that he knows about the past, he is no longer a source of stability. So yes, lots of clues, but at a personal cost. Either because the character could previously spend time away from the awful world of mythos investigation with his father, and he's now popped that bubble and/or because the memories have clearly shaken his father and the character feels some responsibility.

For the criminal: why was her father imprisoned? Are there any old associates of his still running the business? Could they be involved (perhaps unknowingly, in the interests of profits) in any of the main Eternal Lies plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sionak posted:

I ran it. I enjoyed it overall and recommend it. The showdown at the end went spectacularly poorly for the agents. I think your idea is solid, and while there's plenty of great support for the cult angle, I'd prep a bit more stuff for the support/outside group to do.

So I ran it as well, and it did go spectacularly terribly for the agents at the end as well! That's mostly because one of my players decided to do the Wrong Thing deliberately.

My players did not like it very much, to be truthful. However, I think there were some factors that I could have mitigated better.

-The scenario as written is almost completely reliant on having somebody with a high% Biology Skill. I attempted to signal this subtlely by having two of the seven pregenerated characters I made have the requisite skill, as I was expecting six players. I ended up with four. None of them picked the medics. We had some problems.

-The scenario also has another solution in 'going loud' on the cultists. I did create a character who was accustomed to violence and would have the necessary skills/resources to liquidate a cultist compound. In addition to not picking the medics, the players did not pick this character. :smith: I'm going to blame this on having made the rest of the characters too good, with regards to hooks (i.e., I had an ex-IRA DG Agent, and the best person to play the character picked them and was amazing. However, this wasn't one of the 'essential' characters, which I realized after the fact)

-When it came time to send people undercover, the players only elected to send one person undercover. I probably should've had one of the NPCs lean harder on them to send two people in (and in retrospect I can think of ways to do so), but this complicated things when they did not have the requisite skills (i.e., Accounting) to make the most of the evidence they found.

-I probably could've prepped more for the outside group. They felt like they were spinning their wheels, and I couldn't come up with ways on the fly to guide them to some interesting material without giving the whole thing away. To be fair though, they expected that a lot of the investigation would have been done beforehand thanks to the existence of a related case (the disappearance of the Galworthys) and they thought that they basically received all of the notable information from that from the briefing (when this is not the case).

From what it sounds like, you guys zigged where Shane and Greg expected you to zig. My group zagged every time, but I hope that means we produced some really good playtesting notes!

Also, they did not like the appearance of one of the creatures. One of my players audibly said "Really?" in response to it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 24, 2017

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
It's unfortunate that your players weren't more into it, but as you say, it probably makes for useful feedback.

I had a hard time visualizing the creature myself, so I sketched out what I thought it looked like and then changed the description a little bit, especially since the viewing conditions weren't great at the time.

One of my players also did the thing you're absolutely not supposed to do at the end, though not quite so deliberately. She even rolled a critical on it. Oops. It was wonderful.

Other thoughts:
- My players started out thinking that the Galworthy case was probably well-investigated as well, so I made the local cop they talked to a total jerk. After that, they no longer assumed anything good about the local police. They decided to visit a brother of Mr. Galworthy, who also complained about the lack of investigation.

- Biology skills: I would say that you can still get to a pretty neat finale without the biology, but you really aren't going to understand what's going on. That definitely happens sometimes in investigative scenarios. I'm not sure how to get around it without singling out the pregens that have that key skill. It depends on players, too - some are more okay not getting the whole story than others.

No one grabbed high biology pregens in my run-through either. I let them talk to the grad students at the University to still get a basic lead anyways. The timing worked out so that I could cut between the analytical University scenes with one character and then back to the other characters being offered spores, which was fun.

- I think the scenario expects you to lean pretty hard on the players to send in two characters, yeah. It definitely runs more smoothly that way.

I have to admit, I wasn't exactly sure how to handle some of these aspects when running it as a playtest. You're supposed to test what they give you, but it feels like it would be absolutely immersion breaking (and not at all how I'd run any other session) to say that there's no clues for the current avenue and steer them back towards what's written. I ended up improv-ing some bits, which I tried to note in the feedback so they could be fleshed out later.

To be clear, I liked the scenario a lot. I think prepping a bit more of the town investigation side of things would help it run more smoothly, but then it's less of a playtest. I did think the cult side of things was great and it really had my players wondering if they were infiltrating a harmless group.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

What was heartbreaking for me is that the investigation group really didn't follow on any leads, but they came up with something novel that didn't actually... work, in context?

In retrospect, I should've given them SOMETHING. What they wanted to do was use traffic cameras to check the plates of cars to see where the Galworthys entered and exited (it helped that the computer scientist on the team zEro c00l, had Comp Sci at 80%). But I ran into the issue of either 1) spoiling the location of the action too soon and 2) in the context of the location, there's no infrastructure there that would allow them to obtain that information.

Had I been thinking faster on my feet, I could've said that the whole process would take a couple days and at the end of it, tell them that the signals disappear heading in that direction, and the only thing of note out that way is (drops EPA report on the table).

Still, they weren't really ambitious on the investigative end of things (they didn't try a lot - what I talked about above represents really the ONE angle they took, and that was after days) and the one person who went undercover very nearly blew the whole operation early by physically stealing documents (which is 100% certain to be noticed).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 24, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

For anyone not knowing, Q-Workshop, Polish purveyor of fine dice and accessories, is doing a kickstarter for awesome metal Cthulhu dice.

It's already 200% funded at 104k$ with 14 days left, and there's more stretch goals to add Elder God-themed plastic dice sets in various colors.

Right now 69$ gets you a set of metal dice, a set of red Nyarlathotep dice and a dice bag. 115k$ stretch goal adds blue Azathoth dice, 130k$ adds yellow Hastur dice, 145$k adds green Cthulhu dice. Plus you can get a bunch of goodies with extra pledging, some of which are kickstarter exclusive like a Cthulhu dice tower, playing mats, a dice cup, coins etc etc (pledge does not include shipping which is estimated at 7$ for Europe and 15$ for US for the basic pledge)

Everything looks drat cool and judging by the way it's going, it's probably going to reach all the currently revealed stretch goals making it a pretty decent value for 1 metal dice set + 4 plastic dice set + dice bag, at least compared for what these kind of sets go at store price. :cthulhu:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 1, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A small group of friends and I just did two sessions of call of cthulhu in a tutorial style boat escape mission and we all found it baffling and underwhelming. Like if you were a 99 level any skill, and you are just the best a human can be at whatever that is, and you come across a hard skill check you have a 4/5ths chance of loving up?

I was all prepared for a slow grinding down and making hard choices and going insane and dying, I know what I was in for, but it just hits you right up front with "well, no, you can't do that. Nobody can do anything. You don't find anything you don't talk anyone out of anything you don't beat up the horde of zombies you don't pass the sanity checks you don't convince the hostage takers you don't calm down your panicking friend. You don't do anything" that we just kind of went silent on voip because nobody can do anything and nothing works and even if you're good at something you're loving terrible at it.

93 arts & craft (dance) skill and I rolled a 99 on dance and shattered my goddamn ankle in a "I dance to pass the time" check.

You could cheat out perfect god characters and still never pass a spot hidden check to move the plot along.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
There are ways to deal with all those issues in COC/the BRP system but honestly just play Trail of Cthulhu given that it solves both the whiff factor through points spends and auto finding of important clues. ToC uses the Gumshoe system which was pretty much created to deal with the issues you are experiencing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Krinkle posted:

because nobody can do anything and nothing works and even if you're good at something you're loving terrible at it.

93 arts & craft (dance) skill and I rolled a 99 on dance and shattered my goddamn ankle in a "I dance to pass the time" check.

You could cheat out perfect god characters and still never pass a spot hidden check to move the plot along.

This sounds strange, a good GM will not hide plot points behind skill checks - they are to make it easier to find the clue or provide some kind of shortcut, but nothing should outright prevent plot advancement (except madness or death)

Normally a 50-60% skill is enough to get by most of the time and 70-80% is almost auto success

Of course if you roll nothing but 90+ ten times in a row you ought to change your dice...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

We used roll20.net and we can't even read the chart that pops up after you roll a skill. Thing looks like six numbers plus a color coded pH comparison chart. I flubbed my fast talk and also I need more alkaline in my swimming pool.

I don't understand why it rolls 3 numbers for the 3 skill difficulty gates. Why doesn't it roll one, and then you compare it to the gate that the DM says applies. Then you know if you passed an easy, medium, or hard check?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 1, 2017

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is this a 7E CoC thing? I don't remember hard skill checks in 6E.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Krinkle posted:

A small group of friends and I just did two sessions of call of cthulhu in a tutorial style boat escape mission and we all found it baffling and underwhelming. Like if you were a 99 level any skill, and you are just the best a human can be at whatever that is, and you come across a hard skill check you have a 4/5ths chance of loving up?

Well, this tells you that Hard skill checks are the kind of thing that the most skilled person in the world would have only a 20% chance of succeeding at. You should probably not use Hard skill checks for anything except the bloody difficult. Use the Half-Skill or Full-Skill checks to represent the difficult of whatever it is you're modelling if a 20% chance of success is too low.

Krinkle posted:

Why are you rolling for dancing to pass the time? That's not something you should have to roll for, and I'm petty sure both CoC 6e and CoC 7e are pretty clear about this.

clockworkjoe posted:

Is this a 7E CoC thing? I don't remember hard skill checks in 6E.

They're not a thing in CoC 6e, but "roll against half your skill" and "roll against a fifth of your skill" are pretty baked into CoC as a system, so 7e just formalized it as... I think it's "Easy (2x), Normal (1x), Difficult (0.5x), Hard (0.2x)"?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah hard checks are when you are expected to fail, say you're trying to persuade the chief of police to raid the local nunnery (which is actually a cultist lair in disguise!!!) without any evidence.

Yeah you really have to roll a 10 or less for that. If the DM is calling for hard rolls for more everyday stuff though, he's doing it wrong. There's no need to fail skill checks to get utterly crushed by insanity and injury in CoC, things are already stacked against the players in the long run :)

E: I figured it out, basically it's a lovely workaround for bonus / penalty dice (you roll one or more extra d10 for the tens of your d100 and use the best for bonus or the worst for penalty) from the author of the coc7 plugin on roll20 forum:

quote:

-2 = 2 penalty dice
-1 = 1 penalty dice
0 = standard roll
+1 = 1 bonus dice
+2 = 2 bonus dice

Per the normal CoC 7th ed rolls you are only suppose to roll multiple 10s dice. I couldn't find a way to get multiple rolls using the same result of the one's dice so I just have it roll 3 d100's instead. So the three rolls are the bonus/penalty dice whether you need it or not. I think it stays true to the intent of the game designers as I believe they only have you roll ten's for simplicity. It doesn't alter the statistics to any meaningful degree.

So in your case you rolled a 94, which gets updated to a 13 only if you have 2 bonus dice, all other cases are a fail

That is an incredibly obtuse way of doing rolls and I still don't get why he uses only 3 rolls to show from +2 to -2 bonus/penalty, should be 5 rolls at that point I think? Bah

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 2, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

No I never got asked to do a hard roll I just couldn't make any easy rolls and was wondering why hard rolls even theoretically exist. And what's the goddamn point of having 93 in dance if you aren't going to click that button and show everyone you are absolutely crushing it on the dance floor right now.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Krinkle posted:

No I never got asked to do a hard roll I just couldn't make any easy rolls and was wondering why hard rolls even theoretically exist. And what's the goddamn point of having 93 in dance if you aren't going to click that button and show everyone you are absolutely crushing it on the dance floor right now.

Hard rolls are there to make you feel like a total badass accomplishing the impossible when you manage to get a roll of 01 or something like that. Also check my edit above as to what the gently caress is happening with the triple rolls in roll20, I'd say that is crazy enough to make you lose 1d10 SAN.

Having 93 in dance is (as you surely know) pointless by itself, and fumbling it so hard that you shatter your ankle was honestly funny IMO. poo poo happens!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Actually, on the topic of rolling to spot clues to progress the game, CoC 7e says the following:

Failed Dice Rolls and Sudden Endings
Where possible try to avoid an outcome that will end the game (unless you wish to, of course). Try to be creative and describe an outcome that allows for play to proceed, but not in the way the players intended. Rather than sudden death, consider other options such as:
• A setback: a loss of equipment or the death of an ally.
• The investigator is taken captive rather than killed.
• A deal: rather than killing the investigator, the enemy offers a pact or deal.
• Fainting: it is perfectly Lovecraftian for a character to faint, only to awaken later to find themselves unharmed and the situation changed.

Krinkle posted:

Extreme difficulty rolls (Skill/5) exist to make things challenging for experts and are used for rolls that are opposed by NPC experts. Hard difficulty rolls (Skill/2) exist to make things challenging for professionals and are used for rolls that are opposed by NPC professionals. As for what the point is of having 93% in Dance, well, every time you dance it's a world-class performance by default? Having a skill at 90% or higher means you're among the world's best people at that one thing, so if you dance with Dance 93% you're automatically crushing it on the dance floor, no roll needed.

I'm sympathetic to your plight, and Call of Cthulhu has a genuine design problem of letting players raise marginal-use skills like Arts & Craft: Dance to no benefit, but you've also been playing the game with a Keeper who was running it wrong. You shouldn't have rolled the dice to pass time (it is not interesting, challenging, opposed, or even possible to fail) and having your character break an ankle from a regular failure on an A&C: Dance roll is just not running the game by the rules.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm sympathetic to your plight, and Call of Cthulhu has a genuine design problem of letting players raise marginal-use skills like Arts & Craft: Dance to no benefit, but you've also been playing the game with a Keeper who was running it wrong. You shouldn't have rolled the dice to pass time (it is not interesting, challenging, opposed, or even possible to fail) and having your character break an ankle from a regular failure on an A&C: Dance roll is just not running the game by the rules.

Actually I think it's a charm of the system, the huge skill list if paired with creative DM / players allows you to be whatever character you want and still be effective without relegating it to auto success, or worse useless, background descriptions...

Dancing was kind of huge in the 20s afaik, there were dancing contests for fame and money too. You could use it to seduce a girl / guy holding a clue, impress someone and gain access to some restricted club, win an artifact as a prize, hell maybe an occult ritual needs some sick moves to be performed succesfully. It's all about the DM playing to the characters strength rather than having a plan set in stone and going "oh nobody took language: sumerian? Too bad you can't translate the ancient tablet, game over"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Your DM is an rear end in a top hat. Not the system's fault.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm clicking my dance skill to show off while the dm is describing a different scene I'm not in and I decide I break my own ankle when I roll a 99 on a skill check that wasn't asked for and everyone calls him a jerk. Sheesh.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I'm clicking my dance skill to show off while the dm is describing a different scene I'm not in and I decide I break my own ankle when I roll a 99 on a skill check that wasn't asked for and everyone calls him a jerk. Sheesh.

Then what is your complaint? Did you just stick an irrelevant anecdote about loving yourself over with the skill system in between two paragraphs about your dissatisfaction with the skill system for no reason?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Hey I'm sorry about my tone. I didn't mean to be like a super complainy guy. I just mean the DM was DM'ing for the first time, the rest of us were playing for the first time, and I was despairing at the pH meter dice thing that nobody could decipher but has since been explained.

It's really counter intuitive to fill out these skill sheets and then, like, never roll those skills because "you're too good to even need to roll'. That literally never occurred to any of us. I had 65 on lockpicks and I great success'ed us out of a locked cabin at the very beginning. It was described as a lovely lock, should we have even rolled on that?

Does another entity, purposefully opposing us, with some skill in opposition need to be there to even bother rolling?

I mean I have 35 in driving so like, I had imagined getting behind the wheel and telling them "i'm an excellent driver" all rainman style and then flipping the model T comically trying to un-parallel park. But apparently that would only come into play if someone tried to run us off the road?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Krinkle posted:

Hey I'm sorry about my tone. I didn't mean to be like a super complainy guy. I just mean the DM was DM'ing for the first time, the rest of us were playing for the first time, and I was despairing at the pH meter dice thing that nobody could decipher but has since been explained.

It's really counter intuitive to fill out these skill sheets and then, like, never roll those skills because "you're too good to even need to roll'. That literally never occurred to any of us. I had 65 on lockpicks and I great success'ed us out of a locked cabin at the very beginning. It was described as a lovely lock, should we have even rolled on that?

Does another entity, purposefully opposing us, with some skill in opposition need to be there to even bother rolling?

I mean I have 35 in driving so like, I had imagined getting behind the wheel and telling them "i'm an excellent driver" all rainman style and then flipping the model T comically trying to un-parallel park. But apparently that would only come into play if someone tried to run us off the road?

Rolls are usually asked for when something is at stake, when there's a risk involved with failure or time constraints

If you have to just drive around the city without pressure you won't roll your drive auto skill. If you're being chased by gangsters or have to weave through heavy traffic to lose a pursuer, or get to the hospital ASAP to save a bleeding-out friend, you will have to roll.

As for that lock you picked.. Well with 65 lockpick skill you're a professional, so there would be no need to roll unless failing the roll meant something (maybe it took longer than expected and let the bad guy escape, or night fell and you had to go through the infested wood at night etc) but from the sound of it there was no need...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This still sounds like it was your keeper's fault, asking for rolls when none were needed and there was literally nothing at stake. The game is a completely different beast than something like D&D, where you have to roll to actually accomplish anything.

Your skills are there to flesh out your character and inform role play decisions. They give the player and the Keeper insight into what kind of knowledge the character has, what's within their wheelhouse, and how they may act in certain conditions. The skills have hard numbers so they can be tested under dire circumstances, but are generally a soft comparison to the rest of the world.

You kind of need an implicit agreement that the game world works that way for the system to function smoothly. It's very heavy on role play and story, while checks exist to just kind of happen, inform the story, then get out of the way.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What if you are doing Target practice against some slow moving zombies, we were all rolling our bad melee percentile and failing to hit them point blank with hammers. Zombies have no self preservation, should we have rolled then?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Krinkle posted:

What if you are doing Target practice against some slow moving zombies, we were all rolling our bad melee percentile and failing to hit them point blank with hammers. Zombies have no self preservation, should we have rolled then?

I feel like roll or not, I'd still grant a skill check for that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If you have no chance to fail and/or the repercussions are minimal, you shouldn't roll.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I skimmed the last 4 or so pages of this thread and I'm kinda freaking the gently caress out as I'm going to GM my first ever CoC game next Saturday having never even played it. I've done 3 one off D&Ds and that's about it for my RPG experience so far.

I was planning to horror RP it but by the sounds of it it's supremely loving hard to do and I'm going to be doing this in a pub's garden in broad daylight. I'll be assigned players by the host of the meet up I go to, so I won't get time to meet them or anything, but by the sounds of it the players will be new to CoC having only played D&D. What the gently caress should I do? What scenario should I run as a 1 shot? Should I still try mixing in some horror RP while keeping it "pulpy"? How the hell do I make the action fun and stand out from D&D? I've got the 7e keeper's book and reading it as much as I can trying to get the systems nailed down, but I'm really clueless on what sort of game and tone I should set, so that it's not only fun but at least kinda creepy and memorable. I'm looking forward to it still but feel like I'm setting myself up for failure if I don't get something in order fast.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I like the Mansions of Madness adventure about mr. Corbitts basement. Also Transatlantic Terror from Age of Cthulhu.

I dunno man it sounds like the real horror is found in the setup for your game. That sounds like a real nightmare

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BillBear posted:

I skimmed the last 4 or so pages of this thread and I'm kinda freaking the gently caress out as I'm going to GM my first ever CoC game next Saturday having never even played it. I've done 3 one off D&Ds and that's about it for my RPG experience so far.

I was planning to horror RP it but by the sounds of it it's supremely loving hard to do and I'm going to be doing this in a pub's garden in broad daylight. I'll be assigned players by the host of the meet up I go to, so I won't get time to meet them or anything, but by the sounds of it the players will be new to CoC having only played D&D. What the gently caress should I do? What scenario should I run as a 1 shot? Should I still try mixing in some horror RP while keeping it "pulpy"? How the hell do I make the action fun and stand out from D&D? I've got the 7e keeper's book and reading it as much as I can trying to get the systems nailed down, but I'm really clueless on what sort of game and tone I should set, so that it's not only fun but at least kinda creepy and memorable. I'm looking forward to it still but feel like I'm setting myself up for failure if I don't get something in order fast.

OK so some general and specific tips:

General: CoC is about mystery and investigation, so whatever scenario you run, that's what you want to present the players with: a mystery to solve, and clues they find through their own actions. I'm not a big fan of the old "you blew a die roll and missed a clue" school of CoC, but you as a GM can push things in the right direction as needed.

If you're making something up, it's very easy to overcomplicate a short adventure. Don't. It can be very simple: you're at a dinner party where the rich heiress was murdered by the butler who's also a cultist for some dark ritual. Boom, done. There's some pretty good pre-fab convention scenarios out there, including a really rad one I want to run one day set in the modern day aboard a salvage operation.

I always recommend bringing pre-gen characters to something like this (I like Dhole's House for making and printing characters), and I also like to print out character portraits (you can find whatever you need on Pinterest), because it instantly gets people in the mindset of playing that character and avoids the awful slog of character generation. Bring 2 more characters than you'll have players because, you know, CoC.

Specific advice: For a one-off, don't be afraid to make it loving deadly. Give 'em their money's worth. They don't care about the characters after you're done, and neither should you. It increases the feeling of dread to know that yes, they really can go insane or die at any moment.

Your setup is kind of less than ideal, but I've run scenarios in crowded convention halls that have come out super-creepy and awesome. It just means you won't have as much buildup to a big boom than you normally would, so my solution is to keep things as a low, growing level of dread the entire time. If you're running the dinner party scenario, for example, maybe the killer starts leaving the investigators notes around the house, or killing pets, or doing something to gently caress with one of them specifically. The more personal you can make the horror the better (although obviously be sensitive to what might trigger or set off a stranger, because that's no fun for anyone in the group and this is supposed to be fun).

Hope that helps some. LMK if you have any more specific questions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Man I'm feeling a little teased by the delay between the player and GM books dropping for DG, since I was holding off for the Case Officer's guide to start up a campaign in earnest.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Peas and Rice posted:

OK so some general and specific tips:

Thanks for this. Sometime this week I'll pop into my local library ( I don't have a working printer right now) to print off about 10 pre mades just for variety's sake.

I've been looking at some pre made mysteries too and the one I've got in the Keeper's book, Crimson Letters, is pretty good. It says it can be boiled down into a fun 1 shot pretty quick and I like how it's set up and I feel pretty confident I can make it something cool and creepy. I've thought about writing letters and privately giving them to players to cause paranoia and to cause loyalties to be questioned but to keep stuff simple, I'll probably leave it out for the first game.

To create some horror and tension, I thought about having the story's corpse come back to life very early on and for the ghoul to stalk them at night from a pretty far distance but won't ever close in to attack. I'll have it so he's just about close enough to make him out to be the dead guy in the morgue but if they try getting closer he'll just gently caress off into the night before they can get to him and ask him questions. I feel like this should be easy as piss to make creepy and should be fairly simple to do. Later on I'll have it attack when I feel it's right.

Also I like the idea of making it deadly, I think these players are used to D&D and apparently in that game it's usually pretty drat hard to die from what I've seen with how much abilities you get. Having their characters get ripped apart or lose their minds when they gently caress up would probably leave a great first impression and make the game stand out.

I'll probably have more questions later but I'll throw some PMs your way instead of cluttering this thread with my posts.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Have you guys seen this? (I did not scroll around the thread, apologies to anyone who might have beat me to it) It' s allll sorts of things in the Lovecraft Mythos, and in this game, you get to be the cultist.

Sigil & Sign on KS, already funded like a mofo. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/sigil-and-sign-cthulhu-mythos-rpg-where-you-play-t?ref=nav_search

https://youtu.be/UBN3NojXuk4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: n/m recanting occurred

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

obviously I hosed it posted:

Have you guys seen this? (I did not scroll around the thread, apologies to anyone who might have beat me to it) It' s allll sorts of things in the Lovecraft Mythos, and in this game, you get to be the cultist.

Sigil & Sign on KS, already funded like a mofo. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/sigil-and-sign-cthulhu-mythos-rpg-where-you-play-t?ref=nav_search

https://youtu.be/UBN3NojXuk4

It's a loving rad concept, I just wish it wasn't so goddamned expensive for the complete print package.

Edit so I don't double-post: I entered a scenario in the Cult of Chaos contest, and I made it to the final round, but didn't win. Still, Chaosium is providing notes and I can resubmit it for publication, which is great of them. I have to say, I really like how friendly and helpful the Chaosium staff is; every time I've interacted with them, they've been all kinds of awesome.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 12, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm looking at running Delta Green's Music from a Darkened Room one of the ways to solve the case is smashing the mirror with an Elder Sign. I am unfamiliar with elder signs, what are they, how would my players get/create one/know about one/etc.

edit: where did folks get in on the last / most recent playtest for DG stuff? I playtested one a while ago (The Observer Effect, which was loving fantastic) through the kickstarter but I haven't seen any messaging on anything new other than Shane mentioning it during a roll20 one-shot I did with him.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 28, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looks like I'm settling on either Kali Ghati (on the recommendation of mister Ivey) or Lover in the Ice. Thoughts?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 31, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

In the hopes of keeping this thread alive, may you never want for Delta Green pregens again:

http://www.delta-green.com/2017/03/800-pre-generated-characters-for-your-delta-green-game/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What would be good as Hell would be the book, IMO.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sounds like the being-worked-on Delta Green book is clocking in at 550ish pages.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's the study time and san loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Kickstarter LIVE HERE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1721105501/the-yellow-king-roleplaying-game-from-robin-d-laws?ref=nav_search

http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/announcing-the-yellow-king-rpg/

quote:

Written and designed by GUMSHOE master Robin D. Laws, YKRPG takes you on a brain-bending spiral through multiple selves and timelines.

Inspired by Robert W. Chambers’ influential cycle of short stories, it pits the characters against the reality-altering horror of The King in Yellow. This suppressed play, once read, invites madness or a visit from its titular character, an alien ruler intent on invading and remolding our world into a colony of their planet, Carcosa.

Four books, served up together in a beautiful slipcase, confront your players with an epic journey into reality horror:

Belle Epoque Paris, where a printed version of the dread play is first published. Players portray American art students in its absinthe-soaked world, navigating the Parisian demimonde and investigating mysteries involving gargoyles, vampires, and decadent alien royalty.

The Wars, an alternate reality in which the players take on the role of soldiers bogged down in the great European conflict of 1947. While trying to stay alive on an eerie, shifting battlefield, they investigate supernatural mysteries generated by the occult machinations of the Yellow King and his rebellious daughters.

Aftermath, set later in the same reality, in 2017 North America. A bloody insurrection has toppled a dictatorial regime loyal to Carcosa. Players become former partisans adjusting to ordinary life, trying to build a just society from the ashes of civil war. But not all of the monsters have been thoroughly banished—and like it or not, they’re the ones with the skills to hunt them and finish them off.

This is Normal Now. In the 2017 we know, albeit one subtly permeated by supernatural beings and maddening reality shifts, ordinary people band together, slowly realizing that they are the key to ending a menace spanning eras and realities.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 22, 2017