Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
Monarch 5's for $239 right now at LL Bean with their SUMMER coupon code if you're interested. (Monarch 7 10x42's for $400 too)

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80266?feat=512576-CL1&page=nikon-monarch-5-binoculars-8x42-mm&csp=f&attrValue_0=Black&productId=1333574

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80323?feat=512576-CL1&page=nikon-monarch-7-binoculars-10x42-mm&csp=f&attrValue_0=Black&productId=1333483

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm in Canada and they are dinging me with import fees so I end up paying more. :smith:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Birds are like really hard to tell apart. Like Gulls.

Does everyone else hate Gulls? They synchronized a dive bomb of poop on my truck.
I really like any animal - individual, population, or species - that actually reacts to some aspect of human variation in some way. Dogs, cats, and some species of crows can clearly differentiate between individual humans. Urban-habituated gulls and crows of various species can apparently learn traffic patterns. And some gulls behave as if they are motivated by human-identified emotions like jealousy or vengence.

A synchronized dive bomb poop raid on my truck would cause me to laugh and clap my hands. You lucky bastard.

Identifying them is hard, but not impossible. Just make sure you're looking at a decent-sized flock and set your standard for success at "pretty confident (species) is in there"

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

I really like any animal - individual, population, or species - that actually reacts to some aspect of human variation in some way. Dogs, cats, and some species of crows can clearly differentiate between individual humans.

My mother-in-law pours some walnuts into a small container in her backyard for the the neighborhood crows once a day. There's a noticeable increase in the number of crows congregating on the street lamps when she's in the backyard.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

This was from a few weeks ago, first GBH sighting of 2k17! Ever since I've been spotting them left and right (and almost always in flight so unfortunately rather difficult to get good shots of unlike the white egrets I run into on almost a daily basis) :woop:

Also just discovered that Cornell site with the maps and stuff which is gonna be a game changer for sure...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
As soon as I can get out of this office I'm headed east to Montana for a few days to do some birding. Still missing quite a few of those prairie birds and a few interior west birds that have avoided me thus far like Pinyon Jay. I have directions to at least two known spots for Great-Gray Owl, which I've searched for in vain for many years (although I saw one as a kid), so I'm pretty excited for that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there was a crow party in my backyard yesterday. came out and 3 crows were squawkin it up at each other. i tried to crow-squawk at them but they just looked at me like :raise: and went back to talkin it up with each other. thast my crow story

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there was a crow party in my backyard yesterday. came out and 3 crows were squawkin it up at each other. i tried to crow-squawk at them but they just looked at me like :raise: and went back to talkin it up with each other. thast my crow story

cool story, crow

I'm going up in the mountains next week for a nature sound recording workshop so I think I'll at least get to hear some cool stuff.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

same thing today but it was only 1 crow. if i see them again i might start putting out nuts or shiny objects to try and make a crow friend :)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm not a birder, but I went out today to my local park cause I had it in mind to try and see a pied kingfisher. Since I have neither equipment nor knowledge it was kind of doomed to fail (although I know for certain they're there, from reports and having seen one previously) and fail it did, but on the bright side I saw a bunch of other birds (little egrets, night herons, rose-ringed parakeets and a white-throated kingfisher were the highlights).

Anyway I also saw this duck and I can't figure out what it is. I should mention that I am in Israel. Closest I can guess is maybe a random domesticated sort? The red face makes me think of a muscovy duck. I've scoured relevant bird lists and can't find anything similar. Sorry for the garbage picture, as I said I don't actually have any proper equipment.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm not a birder, but I went out today to my local park cause I had it in mind to try and see a pied kingfisher. Since I have neither equipment nor knowledge it was kind of doomed to fail (although I know for certain they're there, from reports and having seen one previously) and fail it did, but on the bright side I saw a bunch of other birds (little egrets, night herons, rose-ringed parakeets and a white-throated kingfisher were the highlights).

Anyway I also saw this duck and I can't figure out what it is. I should mention that I am in Israel. Closest I can guess is maybe a random domesticated sort? The red face makes me think of a muscovy duck. I've scoured relevant bird lists and can't find anything similar. Sorry for the garbage picture, as I said I don't actually have any proper equipment.

I don't know Israeli birds, but if I were in North America I'd call it domestic/muscovy, especially since you mentioned this was at a park.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah that must be it then, thanks. Probably also explains why I couldn't find it on any birding website, as I suppose it's not considered proper wildlife.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm not a birder, but here are two paragraphs about me trying to track down a specific bird and also a picture of a mystery bird

congrats, you're a birder

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

congrats, you're a birder

Well, gently caress. I confess I have been tentatively/cautiously looking at binoculars... I might well take the plunge.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/far-good-darn-cute-baby-hawk-bald-eagle-nest-video/

My mother lives in Sidney, British Columbia (a suburb of Victoria) she posted some pictures on Facebook the other day about the local bald eagle nest having a baby hawk in it. She doesn't have a big telephoto to get any good pics but that story does have some good video of it

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw that story- how cool! I wish someone could put a tracker on that redtail and see whether it does weird stuff when it grows up like eat mostly fish or hang out with bald eagles during the winter.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I saw that story- how cool! I wish someone could put a tracker on that redtail and see whether it does weird stuff when it grows up like eat mostly fish or hang out with bald eagles during the winter.

Definitely. She sent me a link to one of her photographer friend's blogs that has a bunch of nest activity photos. Sounds like the RTH is about to start flying
http://www.naturalimagescanada.ca/blog/archives/06-2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

I also think it's a Muscovy or Muscovy mix. Where in Israel was this?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

I also think it's a Muscovy or Muscovy mix. Where in Israel was this?

I'm in Tel Aviv, and it was in the Yarkon Park. There are a few well-trodden areas/ponds there with lots of ducks, but this one was actually off on its own further downstream.

Here's a brief new trip report: yesterday I watched barn swallows swooping around in one of the urban gardens here and a couple of them kept bringing food back to some juveniles and feeding them midair. Very cool to see especially from literally meters away.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 21, 2017

Lapua
Jun 18, 2017
Some of the rarer birds I've seen around my house are:

Pileated Woodpecker. Usually just once and in the spring. Male is a really handsome fellow.
https://thebirdpoint.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/pileated-woodpecker-male_1421_web1.jpg

Scarlet Tanager. The bright red almost hurts your eyes when the sun shines on him. Only see him at the tops of trees in mid summer
http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/scarlet-tanager

Indigo Bunting. Looks black until the sun hits him and then he turns an impossible bark blue.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnmfg41GjDPrXuQyQgwZKspIhSD7_UOMH9FWlQhGmEzr0UOn83

Lapua fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw 3 great horned owls today on mt Douglas in Victoria BC! At least one was a juvenile, and I think he was being kicked out by his parents for being a mooching layabout who they figured should leave and get a job and catch his own rabbits. I watched them for a long while, they sunbathed a bit, squabbled a bit on the ground and then went back to the tree they were in. My partner got some good photos of them but they were gorgeous!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

There is a pair of crows with a pair of offspring that's been hanging around my office the last week or two. The 'babies' still have a bit of red around their beaks and are not good at landing, and they are adorable pissy about everything. Flying is fun? YELL ABOUT IT. Parent/sibling has food? YELL ABOUT IT. Wind is blowing up your feathers? YELL ABOUT IT. It's extra funny because their calls are still noticeably higher-pitched so they sound even more petulant.

Lapua
Jun 18, 2017
Humming Birds. Don't know if you have feeders out but one thing that annoys me are all the ants that get inside and drown. Well I finally found a way to stop then. I got my feeder hanging from a length of black pipe, one end attached to the fascia on the house and the other end to a support post on the deck. Ants always managed to either come up to support post or onto the pipe via the house. So this year I got some sticky fly strips, cut some pieces and wrapped the tape around either end of the pipe. Works like a charm. Just make sure you get some goo b gone to clean your fingers after handling it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

One of the crow babies has a hurt foot. Seems bigger than it's more aggressive younger sibling so I bet I can guess the culprit.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

"what bird tweets at night"

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 21, 2017

meso
Jun 14, 2013
Birder out of Cape Town, South Africa. And a twitcher too...

I've driven over 5000km in the past month chasing rare birds, the highlight of which was a Madagascan Pond Heron, the first confirmed record for the country. The bloody thing was 1900km away from where I stay, but a group of us piled into a van and made the trip. A lot of driving, and a very little sleep later, we found the bird. They look a lot like Juvenile Squacco Herons, but certainly have their tells in identification.

In the past I have been involved with the research of an unknown raptor species in South Africa called the "Mystery Buzzard", to which there is much debate, but no answer as of yet.

I also write articles on birding, bird identification in the field as well as thoroughly blog my trip reports in Southern Africa.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

meso posted:

Birder out of Cape Town, South Africa. And a twitcher too...

I've driven over 5000km in the past month chasing rare birds, the highlight of which was a Madagascan Pond Heron, the first confirmed record for the country. The bloody thing was 1900km away from where I stay, but a group of us piled into a van and made the trip. A lot of driving, and a very little sleep later, we found the bird. They look a lot like Juvenile Squacco Herons, but certainly have their tells in identification.

In the past I have been involved with the research of an unknown raptor species in South Africa called the "Mystery Buzzard", to which there is much debate, but no answer as of yet.

I also write articles on birding, bird identification in the field as well as thoroughly blog my trip reports in Southern Africa.

Cool, I'll check that out. I'll be in Kruger the beginning of August and just picked up a bird guide - holy poo poo so many new birds! I'd like to check out Cape Town, maybe do that and Namibia next year.

meso
Jun 14, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

Cool, I'll check that out. I'll be in Kruger the beginning of August and just picked up a bird guide - holy poo poo so many new birds! I'd like to check out Cape Town, maybe do that and Namibia next year.

Kruger is great, especially if you enjoy your raptors. Hit me up if you head towards Cape Town way though, can help you with the local endemics here. Things like the Cape Rockjumper are reliable just 30 km from my residency.

We get some pretty good rarities this side too. Cape Town is the rarity capital of Southern Africa. Just today, I managed to connect with a Eurasian Blackcap, the first ever record for the province and one of less than 30 for Southern Africa, in a suburban garden out of all places as well. Had to work like hell for it though, dipped 3 days in a row.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Driving through the middle of Florida is incredibly boring, but the last couple of times I've made the trip I've spotted crested caracaras which are apparently not migrants or just a lost population but have been in south-central Florida since the last ice age. Pretty distinctive birds - only other bird we have that looks like them from a distance are bald eagles, and caracaras have a black cap on top.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

pidan posted:

"what bird tweets at night"

I'm not sure if this is a birding question or a joke that I'm not getting... :confused:

If a birding question, could you say your geographical location and give an approximation of what the "tweets" sound like?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my guess: Trump joke

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just figured it was some assassin's activation phrase.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm not sure if this is a birding question or a joke that I'm not getting... :confused:

If a birding question, could you say your geographical location and give an approximation of what the "tweets" sound like?

I had some more details but the discussion moved on so I felt that it probably didn't fit the thread and removed the details.

Also works as a trump joke though.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
been getting progressively more into spotting vs. photographing and have been making trips out 1-2 a week w/ a fresh set of amazon binoculars and a smartphone to practice, observe, and learn more which seems to occur naturally while ur looking for certain other birds - like the chickadees and plovers that buzz around me while looking for herons, raptors, and other favs

I took this yesterday, excuse the quality as insta certainly didnt make it any better but it looks like a school of fish or maybe eels took a wrong turn (as it just cleared and the sun had come out) which resulted in an unexpected feast - pitting the flying egrets up against the diving comorants (?) for first dibs...with all the other shorebirds and waterfowl joining in on the spontaneous parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFgjgMgq1bo

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's an awesome video. Definitely sucks to be a little fish sometimes.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

BetterLekNextTime posted:

That's an awesome video. Definitely sucks to be a little fish sometimes.

I went back there tonite right before dusk and arrived just in time to see easily 100+ egrets and herons arriving directly overhead (one even dropped a feather too...thats mine now :q: ) and swooping all around me with the sunset as backdrop looking like a WW2 air battle was going on around me - im sure most of the 200 or so photos or vids still wont do the scene justice but ill come back and update if i come across anything worthy. right time at the right place i suppose...

one of the highlights was after they had all settled in together on a sandbar u could hear them all making their noises and it sounded exactly like the raptors in jurassic park!

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Taken from a trail cam on a farm in eastern NC - cool shot of a red-shouldered hawk which was a welcome change of pace from the red-tails we usually see.

Only other bird we consistently get on the trail cam is as you might expect - Wild Turkey, I could show you pictures of turkeys and poults all day long.

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 31, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the wild turkeys around here are like 4 or 5 feet tall when they stand up all the way. sometimes when i encounter a bunch of them hanging out on a street, im slightly afraid to honk my car horn at them because it wouldn't surprise me if they can break the window glass of my car with their beaks or feet

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the wild turkeys around here are like 4 or 5 feet tall when they stand up all the way. sometimes when i encounter a bunch of them hanging out on a street, im slightly afraid to honk my car horn at them because it wouldn't surprise me if they can break the window glass of my car with their beaks or feet

You'll probably get them to "shock gobble". I doubt they'd do more than scratch your paint a little so probably just ease your way through the flock and you'll be fine. It's the collisions when the car and turkey are both at speed that do real damage- people have died from auto accidents caused by a turkey collision.

Getting out of your car to chase them away is probably the wrong thing to do. At least if you don't want to end up on youtube.

Turkeys are awesome though and it's cool that you get to see them up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i usually just slow down and approach the group, and they all mosey out of the way eventually. turkeys are native to the twin cities area and there's been a conservation effort to foster their numbers, so they're all over the place. there's at least one "what to do about wild turkeys" news article every year:

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/18/wild-turkey-encounter-heres-what-you-should-do/