Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

EugeneJ posted:

What if Washington/California/Oregon/New York united for a single-payer health plan and used Canada as a go-between to import drugs cheaply, bypassing the FDA

The CA legislature is currently debating a single payer plan right now

http://senatestream-lh.akamaihd.net/i/Sen_TV1@118077/index_360_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&rebase=on
Here is the stream to the debate on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Majorian posted:

That's, uhhh... called an occupation. Which is a thing that can get messy.

what's messy is if we put them into camps to reeducate them on things other than burning coal

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, but whats the excuse for leftists still saying that her speech was "gently caress all of you, I hope you die in a ditch. I really hate you on a personal level and want to laugh at your pain. Bye."

Because Hillary Clinton made the speech.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

business hammocks posted:

I'm sure we'd have lots of fun absorbing millions of refugees from the failing south and rust belt.
I know it's both evil and impractical, but I'm going to say it anyway: build a loving wall. And make them pay for it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

The CA legislature is currently debating a single payer plan right now

http://senatestream-lh.akamaihd.net/i/Sen_TV1@118077/index_360_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&rebase=on
Here is the stream to the debate on it

Cool thanks

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, but whats the excuse for leftists still saying that her speech was "gently caress all of you, I hope you die in a ditch. I really hate you on a personal level and want to laugh at your pain. Bye."

I'll respond in the Dems thread.

maskenfreiheit posted:

what's messy is if we put them into camps to reeducate them on things other than burning coal

That would honestly probably work better. Not well, but better.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

BREAKING: Joe Biden Launching Fundraising PAC Amid 2020 Speculation

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Joe Biden is launching a political action committee amid speculation that he may run for president in 2020.

Biden plans to announce Thursday that he’s forming the “American Possibilities” PAC. The committee will allow him to raise money for candidates and maintain relationships with longtime donors.

:thunk:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
So are you guys really doing the "Southerners are ignorant hillbillies" thing

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'd vote diamond joe.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Joe Biden will be 78 in 2020. There's no goddamn way in hell he'll run.

More likely he's leveraging his personal connections to raise money for other Dem candidates.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I asked my Facebook wall if anyone actually thought jobs would be created because we withdrew from the Paris Accord and the replies are uh, loving terrifying. Christ.

And peep this sick avi

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knifegrab posted:

I'd vote diamond joe.

I'd vote for Onion Joe Biden, not so hype about real Joe Biden tbh

I think a lot of people forget what a centrist he is behind that likeable demeanor.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there anything Trump can do that can keep the coal industry alive, at least in the near term? More subsidies?

You are assuming Trump doesn't gently caress over people. He will most likely rob the coal owners blind, lose the money to some other conman and then act like it was their fault for slighting him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Hillary was too centrist for me, but sign me up for Joe Biden :downs:

Not saying that he isn't cool, but I'm sure that there are a ton of people who would unironically feel that way

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Not saying that he isn't cool, but I'm sure that there are a ton of people who would unironically feel that way

...but I want to have a beer with him

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

That was me. Easy mistake to make.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I do too, but he is the white Corey Booker

Who I would also have a beer with if given the opportunity

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
He may have voted for the Iraq war, but I like to imagine he drives a cool card with shades on, which makes it all ok.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

buglord posted:

And they'd still have fun voting the way they do.

They wouldn't be white. They would be the victims of those people. Also east coast still racist. Don't know about New Cascadia.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

So are you guys really doing the "Southerners are ignorant hillbillies" thing

I think the term "southerners" is used more in terms with rural culture now and covers a pretty large area, even up north. Like way north. Alberta north.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

botany posted:

I think a lot of people forget what a centrist he is behind that likeable demeanor.

Yeah, I would vote for him in the GE, but he's not the nominee we need for 2020.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

There is nothing they can do to un-ring the bell with Coal. Whether you're talking about giant self-driving Caterpillars out in the strip mines of Wyoming or new shaft mining construction in the Appalachians, that ship has sailed. All these old (and not so old) coal miners know exactly why they're sitting on their asses unemployed. They watched the companies buy the machines that could do 10 times the aggregate work with 1/5th the staff. They saw it coming, they were standing on the tracks and even though the train was only moving at 5mph, they still got hit.

This entire exercise is longing masturbation for one of those old time movies showing industrial production in the 1920's. Machine shops with literally 500 (white) guys on a shift all buzzing around, being industrious. That is a dead dream and it will stay dead.

Well put

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh, and the further topic of CA doing poo poo, here is everything that the state legislature has passed in the last 24 hours
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870414521407463424
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870415386767892480
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870416104253906944
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870416690378440704
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870417136140800000

This is in addition to the single payer proposal that is currently being debated

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

EDIT: This isn't the facebook thread my b

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, and the further topic of CA doing poo poo, here is everything that the state legislature has passed in the last 24 hours
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870414521407463424
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870415386767892480
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870416104253906944

This is in addition to the single payer proposal that is currently being debated

So, what's the housing market in not-the-bay-area like?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Glumslinger posted:

He's too loving old. frankly he was too loving old when Obama picked him for VP, I get why they did it but they should have picked someone else to groom, because while I personally disliked Clinton less than many on the left. She was too loving old. it's a very stressful job and not one that should be done by someone who is knocking on deaths door.

Frankly I think it's high time for a constitutional amendment setting a maximum age for being president.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

isn't norcal super red and they can never pass any kind of tax hikes because of it

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

botany posted:

Matt Yglesias said he'd pick Bernie Sanders over Joe Biden so you know he's pretty bad

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BiohazrD posted:

isn't norcal super red and they can never pass any kind of tax hikes because of it

Dems have a supermajority of both houses, I believe.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

California is weird in that it takes a 2/3 supermajority to raise taxes or pass a budget. So even though Dems have a supermajority, they have to convince enough of their caucus to get to 2/3

And it's not so much norcal as everything inland is super red, the coasts and major cities are very blue.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

Only the furthest north, where no one lives.

Proud of my state.:3:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

Blue states have the victory in the bag. Just make opioids available over the counter, and the red states will kill themselves.

Vermont is the per capita winner in opiates.

But it's like 2 electoral college votes, so if Bernie Sanders must be sacrificed, go right ahead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always forget its weird that bars around here stay open until 4. It was such a culture shock when I started traveling and found out that bars closed at like the time I would go out at home.

Pakled posted:

Joe Biden will be 78 in 2020. There's no goddamn way in hell he'll run.

More likely he's leveraging his personal connections to raise money for other Dem candidates.

Yeah, this doesn't mean anything more than MAYBE Joe Biden is MAYBE thinking of MAYBE running so he's getting the ball running and doing the pre-pre-work. But he could just as easily just be raising money for other political advocacy or bar tabs or something because even if he doesn't plan to run for oldest President ever he still isn't ready to retire from the politics.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I asked my Facebook wall if anyone actually thought jobs would be created because we withdrew from the Paris Accord and the replies are uh, loving terrifying. Christ.

And peep this sick avi

A face with three assholes. A good avatar.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd vote for a leaking bag of dogshit if it would win the 2020 election. Biden as president is fine by me if the alternative is 4 more years of Trump destroying the fabric of this country.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So, what's the housing market in not-the-bay-area like?

Completely awful from tip to taint. I've been looking because fiancee wants to move back at some point in the next few years.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I checked and the Dems in CA legislature have almost exactly 2/3 seats in the Senate and Assembly. So they need every Dem on board to raise taxes or pass a budget and I'm sure there are a good number of moderate Dems that would balk at single payer.

edit: I remember a few years ago there was a ballot initiative here in LA to raise the sales tax by I think a quarter of a percent to fund faster expansion of the subway/public transit system. I was super happy to see it got 66.6% in favor but then reading the news it turns out it failed because you need 66.7% :shepface:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I hope you like O'Douls

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I always forget its weird that bars around here stay open until 4. It was such a culture shock when I started traveling and found out that bars closed at like the time I would go out at home.
When you turn 30, 4am becomes a pipe dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

• Locked thread