Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just said the frames suck (patch or no it's still like a stuttering 30 or less.) and loading times on ps4 were less than stellar. It's still the citizen kane of video games, carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just said the frames suck (patch or no it's still like a stuttering 30 or less.) and loading times on ps4 were less than stellar. It's still the citizen kane of video games, carry on.

Yeah suspecting a problem with your PS4. I have rarely seen that game stutter - on my old PS4 or on the PS4 Pro I have now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I wouldn't trust console players to evaluate things like stutter fps and load time. People end up with totally different expectations depending on what they're used to.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

HaB posted:

Yeah suspecting a problem with your PS4. I have rarely seen that game stutter - on my old PS4 or on the PS4 Pro I have now.

It ran Nioh fine in either cinematic or pretty mode??

Game known for low frame rate ... Hmm, must be your PS4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game's not known for low frame rate. And also, "low" does not mean "consistently borderline unplayable" as you implied it was for you, so...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Come on dude.. just Google Bloodborne low fps and you get a ton of hits. Like I said, it's a super good game marred by some technical issues.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Computer posted:

It also resulted in one of the most boring speedruns at GDQ ever, I swear 80% of that speedrun was BLOODBORNE in white text on black screen.

bloodborne any% speedruns just suck out loud in general. they all use the unpatched base game because they need certain bugs available and the save-and-quit abuse means that 75% of the run is just startup and loading screens.

id love if one of the major speedrunning sites had a competitive bloodborne no-resets category.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Save and quit abuse is taken to ridiculous extremes in DS3 speed runs, to the point where it's just not entertaining to watch at all. Want to remove this door open animation from your precious in-game time? Quit and reload every single loving time you open a door. Sprinting past enemies that you want to de-aggro? np, just quit and reload! Bloodborne has a few but it's not anywhere near as bad by comparison.

If you want an entertaining speedrun some absolute madman has managed to defeat every DS3 boss including both DLCs without getting hit once :stare:

No Q&R abuse either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5XS-dfx0lg&t=602s

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2017

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sapozhnik posted:

Artorias' whole "oozing trails of black gunk everywhere he goes" thing was really cool and unique

he's like a really pissed off dead snail

It's really funny / gross / sad when he picks up some of his own slime and throws it at you

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sapozhnik posted:

Save and quit abuse is taken to ridiculous extremes in DS3 speed runs, to the point where it's just not entertaining to watch at all. Want to remove this door open animation from your precious in-game time? Quit and reload every single loving time you open a door. Sprinting past enemies that you want to de-aggro? np, just quit and reload! Bloodborne has a few but it's not anywhere near as bad by comparison.

If you want an entertaining speedrun some absolute madman has managed to defeat every DS3 boss including both DLCs without getting hit once :stare:

No Q&R abuse either.

I've been watching this in the mornings while I'm on the rowing machine.

it's impressive in places, but intensely boring in others. I have been learning way more about speedrunning than boss fighting. His technique for bosses is "sprint around for 3 minutes waiting for a safe opening, then hit once. Backstab if possible. Rinse repeat for WAY too long."

Not saying the dude isn't skilled, I'm just saying it's not all that entertaining to watch after a few bosses. I am interested to see Dancer, since that's a difficult boss to just dodge.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

No Q&R abuse either.

I'll have to watch that later.

And yeah, this is why I generally think in-game timer measuring for speedruns is dumb as hell. It leads to doing things that are not really playing the game, just exploiting the timer. I think speedrunning as a whole would be better if everyone just did a timer from first input to first frame of credits.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

HaB posted:

I've been watching this in the mornings while I'm on the rowing machine.

it's impressive in places, but intensely boring in others. I have been learning way more about speedrunning than boss fighting. His technique for bosses is "sprint around for 3 minutes waiting for a safe opening, then hit once. Backstab if possible. Rinse repeat for WAY too long."

Not saying the dude isn't skilled, I'm just saying it's not all that entertaining to watch after a few bosses. I am interested to see Dancer, since that's a difficult boss to just dodge.

idk about that, Dancer's attacks are (for the most part) very smooth and telegraphed. Her moveset is designed to punish panic-rolling, her attacks don't even track all that aggressively. At this point I can fairly reliably take her out almost immediately after Vordt provided I have enough VIT to not get oneshot from full health.

You've described Friede if anything. Her attack chains all come out extremely quick and frequently area-deny her entire general vicinity, leaving you with very little room to punish because she always immediately anime hops 30ft away once the attack is finished. Punishing is always a bit of a gamble and it's a three-phase marathon of a fight too so you're always under severe pressure on your Estus budget.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Watching speed runs is the pastime of degenerates

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Watching speed runs is the pastime of degenerates

I'm watching speed runs while working on my sub-30 Puyo Tetris speed run.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The game's not known for low frame rate. And also, "low" does not mean "consistently borderline unplayable" as you implied it was for you, so...

Digital Foundry's analysis largely stands even after all the game's patches. Again, this largely depends on your sensitivity to micro-stutter, but the game can feel quite choppy. Most people will find it just fine, but if you're pretty sensitive to that stuff, then yeah, it can feel "borderline unplayable."

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

cis autodrag posted:

bloodborne any% speedruns just suck out loud in general. they all use the unpatched base game because they need certain bugs available and the save-and-quit abuse means that 75% of the run is just startup and loading screens.

id love if one of the major speedrunning sites had a competitive bloodborne no-resets category.

What are good speedruns in that game these days? What's a good site for seeing these.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cavelcade posted:

What are good speedruns in that game these days? What's a good site for seeing these.

Speed souls is the big one I know of.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cavelcade posted:

All bosses is very entertaining.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The no damage no rolls guy has the best Gael fight video I've ever seen but most of his others are boring as poo poo. Like he baits Maria into doing the long range charge up move 20 times that's it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's a different guy who does a bunch of LV1 NG+7 NO DAMAGE TAKEN NO DODGE NO SPRINT vids which are basically the same thing except with even more hilarious self-imposed constraints. The "no damage" constraint is pretty redundant because at that level if you so much as get brushed by a boss' coattails then you will explode into a pink mist.

There was another one where a dude defeated Champ Gundyr with no other attacks other than flinging poop. He dropped three stacks of poop right at the fog wall so he could restock on poop mid battle.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sounds like the darkest dungeon kill the final boss in one attack video, which is cute but a miserable 20 minute slog of early phases then buffing until the money shot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my favorite DS runs lately were both LobosJr.

One was his randomizer+"use what you see" set of runs which is basically where there's a mod that disables the estus flask, puts on a permanent calamity ring effect, and randomizes the locations of all items in the game. He then has to beat the game with the rule that any shiny he sees he must pick up and if it's a weapon or armor he must equip it and drop the thing it replaced and if it's souls he must pop it immediately. He busted out on 2 runs where he got stuck with slow walk and a talisman as his weapon but on the 3rd run he succeeds and it's amazing.

The other one is his reason Souls Subathon, which he basically did to commemorate getting 200k followers. He played DS1-3 for 24 hours straight, beating all 3 games with a gimmick that there are three "mods" active at any given time and each time 3 donations/subs/5bux of bits were donated to his twitch the mods would rotate. The mods were things like "no sprinting", "jump attacks only", "play one-handed", "no dodging", and so on, and if he failed to obey a mod he had to suicide or darksign immediately. By 15 hours in he's so tired that it's hilarious watching him try to keep track of all the mods.

LobosJr just has a fun Youtube channel generally. I don't use twitch but from his in-video comments it sounds like the people in his chat are loving horrible and he hates them so I'd recommend just watching on YT.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
These streams would also be a lot more tolerable if they toned down the incessant bollockwashing of the paying subscribers just a little bit.

like a dude's got to make money sure but god drat.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

twitch sounds like a very bizarre thing where the viewers hate the players but also give them piles and piles of money for some reason

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'll stream a bog standard runthrough of DS3 with no quit and reload abuse and no tonguebathing of people in chat every 10 seconds, who wants to watch?

Also I'll CE myself 9999 embers and I'll make sure to always be embered and fingered at all times just to make things interesting.

(Not really, busy with work and side projects)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
turns out if you generalize a gigantic heterogeneous mass of people the results suddenly appear schizophrenic, who knew

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

These streams would also be a lot more tolerable if they toned down the incessant bollockwashing of the paying subscribers just a little bit.

like a dude's got to make money sure but god drat.

I mean, LobosJr quit his job to stream full time. I'm not gonna hate.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

turns out if you generalize a gigantic heterogeneous mass of people the results suddenly appear schizophrenic, who knew

Some streamers are actually paid by harassers, who throw money at their nonsense being read by a text to speech program

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Some streamers are actually paid by harassers, who throw money at their nonsense being read by a text to speech program

That poo poo is the best, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_cC1CGCEw

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 1, 2017

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

LobosJR's last 24-hour marathon raised $62,000 for St. Judes Children's Research Hospital, which is pretty awesome. And I agree the randomizer runs were great, I definitely recommend those! Here's the YouTube link!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jordbo posted:

LobosJR's last 24-hour marathon raised $62,000 for St. Judes Children's Research Hospital, which is pretty awesome. And I agree the randomizer runs were great, I definitely recommend those! Here's the YouTube link!

Exactly. Dude makes literally 6 figures streaming full time and donates a huge amount of what he makes to charity. If he has to verbally sex up his viewers to do that, I'm all for it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I once was browsing streams and ran across a guy who had a ridiculous ritual every time someone subscribed. He would make a big speech, pull out a miniature gong, and then bang it several times while screaming "WELCOME TO THE BROTHERHOOD!!!".

Just some perspective for if you think Lobos pays too much attention to subs while streaming.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
funny thing abt subs is that when most streamers get big, they have to cut down on poo poo like that because otherwise it's too constant

I remember there was a point relatively recently where Northernlion had to basically stop doing sub shoutouts/sub noises at all because otherwise it would be happening all the time, and instead just spends like 5 straight minutes reading out all their names in a row at the end of a stream

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_nS0fCLauA

For the record, almost all of the gestures mentioned have survived until Dark Souls 3 (yes, even Well, What Is It!). You just can't use them because From hates you.

Proof of the innate superiority of DS2's setup. If it were DS2, you could use these online with a little know-how.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I do!!??!? I was talking about streams from that very day. I don't even want to know how bad it apparently was before.

Nor was i doubting that it's a great game, i've seen half a dozen playthroughs by now.

You should try experiencing it yourself, instead of judging it vicariously ;)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Uncle w Benefits posted:

You should try experiencing it yourself, instead of judging it vicariously ;)

Donate a PS4 and I will gladly play Bloodborne :smith:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

cis autodrag posted:

Exactly. Dude makes literally 6 figures streaming full time and donates a huge amount of what he makes to charity. If he has to verbally sex up his viewers to do that, I'm all for it.

Is that verified? I knew he was living off it but not on that level.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panty Saluter posted:

Is that verified? I knew he was living off it but not on that level.

He's mentioned before that he drops 20k+ to attend charity balls on a regular basis so I'm napkin mathing from there.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Been doing a solo run through Dark Souls 1, thanks to compatibility mode on the XBone.

Great Club +15 w/ 40 Str trumps basically everything.

Also - it moves so much slower than DS3 and Bloodborne that I am basically a ninja. I started the DLC last night, and beat Artorias while only using ONE sip of Estus!

Never done that before. About to do Manus this evening. Expecting it to go about the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just said the frames suck

I think the frames are fine but the pixels suck. I heard the xbone has better pixels.