Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DrVenkman posted:

I keep hearing this idea that the reason Netflix aren't releasing their viewership is because the numbers are actually fairly low for any given show. I'm sure they're happy with their subscriptions, but beyond that I feel there's probably truth to it. I have to think these cancellations are getting to be a part of that.

quote:

Top 25 original streaming shows of 2016 (based on first 35 days of release):
Orange Is the New Black (season four)—23 million viewers
Stranger Things—21.7m
Fuller House—21.5m
Marvel’s Luke Cage—12.1m
Marvel’s Daredevil (season two)—11.6m
House of Cards (season four)—8.8m
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (season two)—8.4m
The Ranch —5.8m
11.22.63—5.3m
Amanda Knox—4.96m
The Get Down—4.91m
Grace and Frankie (season two)—4.5m
Love—4m
Narcos (season two)—3.8m
Black Mirror (season three)—3.7m
The Crown—3.5m
Bloodline (season two)—3.3m
Longmire (season five)—3.2m
Chelsea Does—2.7m
The Path—2.06m
Flaked—2.04m
Bojack Horseman (season three)—2m
Marco Polo (season two)—1.9m
Goliath—1.8m
Bosch (season two)—1.6m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I guess this is timely given the talk about the repurposed Disney characters: tangentially related, I'd never seen a full episode of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law until yesterday, again being introduced thanks to [as]'s Animation Marathon after ignoring it in the 2000s despite loving ATHF/SGC2C/Brak.

There is something amazing about taking a bunch of idle, 1960s Hanna-Barbera characters and making a series about most of them going to court. Peter Potamus as some sort of clerk. :psyduck:

"Mr. Reducto, you're up, and make it fast, the Dawgs are playin' Tennessee". :tviv:

e- It's the closest thing I've seen on TV to when you were a kid and your action figures wound up being given roles completely unrelated to what they were intended for and I love it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 1, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

For example, one of my favourite videos when I was little was the Disney adaptation of the Prince and the Pauper with Mickey Mouse as the pauper.

I seem to remember that playing in front of Rescuers Down Under in the theater. I loved the Prince and the Pauper but six-year-old me was bored to tears about halfway through Rescuers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Timby posted:

I seem to remember that playing in front of Rescuers Down Under in the theater. I loved the Prince and the Pauper but six-year-old me was bored to tears about halfway through Rescuers.

I'd forgotten about Disney movies usually having stuff immediately before the movie you were there to see.

The weirdest example of this (I know this is WB, but still) I remember as a kid was the Twister VHS having a Looney Tunes short which featured Bugs Bunny and Taz in tornado form destroying everything in his path most of the way through. I think that was the last thing in the previews before the THX title card and movie itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgXj-GvPGWo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's just part of the movie, not really a preceding short...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Yeah they're from a third party company (And US only). I don't think Netflix or Amazon have ever commented on them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DrVenkman posted:

SENSE8 has been cancelled folks.
Jeez, Season 2 just came out didn't it? Was it costing too much to produce or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How many countries were they filming in? Probably a huge pain.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeez, Season 2 just came out didn't it? Was it costing too much to produce or something?

Someone asked Sepinwall on Twitter who said it was one of the more expensive shows that Netflix makes (Clearly all that Internationally shooting) and clearly not enough people were watching. I liked the show, but I also didn't know anyone else who watched it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I guess this is timely given the talk about the repurposed Disney characters: tangentially related, I'd never seen a full episode of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law until yesterday, again being introduced thanks to [as]'s Animation Marathon after ignoring it in the 2000s despite loving ATHF/SGC2C/Brak.

There is something amazing about taking a bunch of idle, 1960s Hanna-Barbera characters and making a series about most of them going to court. Peter Potamus as some sort of clerk. :psyduck:

"Mr. Reducto, you're up, and make it fast, the Dawgs are playin' Tennessee". :tviv:

e- It's the closest thing I've seen on TV to when you were a kid and your action figures wound up being given roles completely unrelated to what they were intended for and I love it.

Yeah I've been rewatching them, highly underrated. Look up any ep focusing on Reducto, Birdgirl, that Hippo dude. There's a pretty great one about Funky Phantom that has the creator of Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell! that's worth digging up. You can look up his imdb for his eps, they're uniformly great.

A great example of a show that got better as it went along, as it got weirder and more intricate. It didn't hurt that Colbert came back for the latter seasons after being shuffled off the show for what I'm guessing is his crazy schedule.

The writing isn't random humor exactly, its close though, but somehow more substantive. Reminds me a bit of a high octane Better Call Ted.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DrVenkman posted:

Someone asked Sepinwall on Twitter who said it was one of the more expensive shows that Netflix makes (Clearly all that Internationally shooting) and clearly not enough people were watching. I liked the show, but I also didn't know anyone else who watched it.
I think it's pretty popular with the LBGT community, because I know several of my friends in that community watched Season 2 the day it came out. I watched Season 1 but still haven't gotten around to 2 yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

I kind of want the Wachowskis doing big action movies again so it's not all bad. The other director involved in Sense8, Tom Tykwer, actually got his show Babylon Berlin picked up by Netflix for the US. At $45 million it's the largest budget non-English language show in history.

I don't think anyone's going to be giving them a big budget movie for a long time after the last few they've put out were such garbage. That's probably one of the reasons they moved to something like Netflix.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

X-O posted:

I don't think anyone's going to be giving them a big budget movie for a long time after the last few they've put out were such garbage. That's probably one of the reasons they moved to something like Netflix.

They are the Adam Sandler of Sci-Fi.

Interesting to see Netflix get pickier with their content. If you're coming out with a big budget show on their service, it has to be real good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well I mean 13 Reasons Why puts the lie to that one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

13 Reasons Why seems like it had a really small budget. It also generated a ton of buzz for the company.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked Sense8, but that show had to be expensive as hell. Unfortunately, I don't think it went out on a high note.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

random streaming ratings without any source

I can't believe more people watched Love than Narcos. I have never met anyone else IRL that has watched Love (I watched both and enjoyed both, I'm just saying)

Also surprised to see Black Mirror and Bojack so low on the list. Didn't the first two seasons of Black Mirror do like 20 million viewers an episode in the UK?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Just a quick reminder the National Spelling Bee final rounds are about to start on ESPN. I've got my beer ready!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
13 Reasons Why actually had a very strong back half. I will be tuning in for season 2.

I still don't really recommend it to anyone, because the first 7 episodes are pretty dire.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

Just a quick reminder the National Spelling Bee final rounds are about to start on ESPN. I've got my beer ready!

This would be perfect to stream online while I'm at work. Wish it was on Twitch or Youtube or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

13 Reasons Why actually had a very strong back half. I will be tuning in for season 2.

I still don't really recommend it to anyone, because the first 7 episodes are pretty dire.

The thing is that pretty much everything good about the story was in the book. And everything stupid wasn't. That's not 100%, but it's a terrible baseline for a show that is starting a second season of entirely new material: All the new material being the weakest part of your show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's a good point. I feel like both hooks for season 2 are really strong, but also don't belong in the same season, so... It could be a real shitshow.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

This would be perfect to stream online while I'm at work. Wish it was on Twitch or Youtube or something.

Sadly unless you have WatchESPN available I don't think that's an option. Not cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snak posted:

The first 7? gently caress, man, the last 2 are the worst by a longshot!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the whole ending was actually very good and did the subject justice. The actual scene of her doing it and then her parents finding her was powerful stuff.

It would have been more powerful if the first entire half of the show wasn't literally every character being a petty moron.

My bugfsst problem with the show was Clay continually trying to confront people without having all the information, even though he had access to it. By the last 2 episodes, he has almost all the information and is making informed decisions for the first time in the show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Snak posted:

My bugfsst problem with the show was Clay continually trying to confront people without having all the information, even though he had access to it.

And that is entirely a show invention, which makes me wonder exactly what these people would bring to a season 2.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

SENSE8 has been cancelled folks.

gently caress!

at least that last episode wrapped things up nicely. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BSam posted:

gently caress!

at least that last episode wrapped things up nicely. :(

At least we can imagine them being victorious after that

Unlike say, Alphas

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was a kid who loved old Disney animated movies and TaleSpin was weird to me then (I should emphasise again, as a kid) because Balloo and Shere Khan and King Louie etc. didn't wear clothes and everything in the Jungle Book movie. And where was Mowgli? Wasn't he the main character in the movie? I just didn't get it - I didn't get the idea of having those different tales on those characters, probably not particularly helped by the fact that, at least as far as I was then aware, Jungle Book was the only classic movie that was being reimagined and repurposed in that way.

I never said it was a sensible perspective but in my defence I was a stupid kid.

I know you already replied to this, but between that, Chip and Dale dressing up like Indiana Jones and Magnum P.I. and teaming up with a mechanic and a junkie to fly around in a dirigible toothpaste tube and solve mysteries, and Goofy being a widower living with his kid in the suburbs, the Disney Afternoon was a pretty wild and crazy place in general.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 2, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

At least we can imagine them being victorious after that

Unlike say, Alphas

The Only Living Boy in New York.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Unprofitable, sure. But Speed Racer was a goddamn masterpiece.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cloud Atlas had some good scenes surrounded by a bunch of poo poo. They need better editors.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I watched Speed Racer again this year and that movie's way better than I remembered.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty much all of their films aside from the first Matrix suffered from severe critical backlash and the last two, Cloud Atlas and especially Jupiter Ascending, basically pushed them into Shyamalan laughing-stock territory. And that's before you even get to the most important part, all of them being financial disasters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Cloud Atlas had some good scenes surrounded by a bunch of poo poo. They need better editors.

I don't think the best editors in the world could have salvaged Cloud Atlas.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

never saw it, but i loved the book

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

See I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas (admittedly some of the stories much more than others), but Jupiter Ascending was genuine trash. Just awful on every level.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Arist posted:

I watched Speed Racer again this year and that movie's way better than I remembered.

Agreed. If you are going to do an animated series as a live action movie, then you have to embrace the cartoon nature, and I felt the Speed Racer movie really did it well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

drat, now I feel horrible for not watching the latest season of Sense8 yet. Just hadn't gotten to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cloud Atlas is awesome.

• Locked thread