Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MedicineHut posted:

Lol at loving Swofford also involved in the loving mess that is SoTA: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=26862

that's an impressive number of unflattering headshots on a single page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The Titanic posted:

I want the empty desert level that uses 60gigs of texture memory so that when I lay in the sand I can be immersed in the fidelity of counting each grain of sand.

On a basically empty plain with a skybox, I'm hoping for at least 12 fps. 9 when I go into third person to watch my bald guy grit his teeth when he shoots; through the 1 million polygon broken helmet.

All this, but while Full Burn is on repeat.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
You'd think that as they were nearly there with some SQ42 footage 7 months ago, they might show something at E3 :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsF6_lwLas&t=606s

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I'm hoping for at least 12 fps.
I think you're being needlessly pessimistic here, stop spreading FUD.

With liquid nitrogen cooled quad SLI GTX 1080ti's you might push it to 15!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

Did somebody say ready player one

"Existing aerial and space combat simulators like Star Citizen"

Ready Player One was disappointing trash. My thought process when I picked it up was, "I like Ernie Cline, and I like 80s stuff. This should be good." I think I read a quarter of it before giving up. Even the 1980s didn't have as much 80s references awkwardly shoehorned into every second of it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

hot balls man no homo posted:

Look at the dates on the posts

Ah! Missed it! Thank you, friend!

Unfortunately though I bet history repeats itself there. You can look at any point in the timeline and it's always right around the corner. This shark-like marketing strategy was cleverly used to extract the maximum amount of money from people. :(

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

So basically, unironically the credits to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_NSKB8fSQ

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Star Citizen seems to populated with real life Dale Gribbles and Bill Dauterives all dreaming to play as a virtual space captain Hank Hill.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
CATERPILLAR COMMAND MODULE HAS SHOWER BUT NO TOILET

ACTUAL RESULT
Command Module has shower, but no toilet. Seems illogical to have beds, sink, shower, cooking, etc., but no toilet.

Duplicate of SC-38583, which has expired; will try to get 10 guys this time from Subscribers...

EXPECTED RESULT
Command Module should have toilet, given the other living arrangements it contains.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Titanic posted:

Ah! Missed it! Thank you, friend!

Unfortunately though I bet history repeats itself there. You can look at any point in the timeline and it's always right around the corner. This shark-like marketing strategy was cleverly used to extract the maximum amount of money from people. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AP posted:

CATERPILLAR COMMAND MODULE HAS SHOWER BUT NO TOILET

ACTUAL RESULT
Command Module has shower, but no toilet. Seems illogical to have beds, sink, shower, cooking, etc., but no toilet.

Duplicate of SC-38583, which has expired; will try to get 10 guys this time from Subscribers...

EXPECTED RESULT
Command Module should have toilet, given the other living arrangements it contains.

Pee in the shower and poop in the sink's garbage disposal, or cremate it on the stove and throw the ashes out an airlock. Come on commando it's not hard o7//

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MedicineHut posted:

Lol at loving Swofford also involved in the loving mess that is SoTA: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=26862

They're all friends from the old glory days, that's why.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/870340258508021761

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/870336515301400577

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

EmesiS posted:

Star Citizen seems to populated with real life Dale Gribbles and Bill Dauterives all dreaming to play as a virtual space captain Hank Hill.

This is so perfect.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

This is so perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSkBONbDwA

"I cannot be court-martialled twice, furthermore...."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
actually its because both of them used the same crowdfunding platform company Turbulent to manage and market their crowdfunding games

games using Turbulent's HEAP C3MS include:

Star Citizen
Shroud of the Avatar
Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade
Like-Moi
The Unknown Photographer

its also become one of the fastest canadian companies due to taking tons of cash from crobs n co

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I love how backers think that turbulent was some idea that croberts had and not that its been active for 15+ years lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also anytime that someone says SANDI IS A MARKETING GENIUS you can just link em here

http://www.turbulent.ca/media/j47g3ko7d6gjbr/source/Turbulent_HEAP-WhitePaper.pdf

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also behavior interactive, which also has been working with turbulent for a long loving time, were also partnered with star citizen

well, guess who crobbers blamed 3.0 being poo poo on, behavior Interactive. cept they didn't leave because they were "working on their own game" they work on dozens of loving games at a time, its because the crobs couldn't loving pay them anymore

le mort

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol this loving thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
guess who came up with the CCU

quote:

One of the main advantages of Turbulent’s platform is that it allows backers who so wish to “convert” their initial gift into virtual dollars to purchase something that interests them even more, and backers often end up increasing their pledges in the process. A backer can also decide to offer a spaceship as a gift to a friend, thus raising the latter’s interest for the game. In turn, the backer’s friend may also decide to make a pledge.
all turbulent lol

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

all turbulent lol

lol

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when Sandi said she didn't even know what her job title meant lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'm the guy who thinks chris roberts belongs in the same sentence as shigeru miyamoto

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Hav posted:

So, SnowCrash and/or Gibson's last few books. Except written better.

SnowCrash is excellent. Read it years ago and loved everybit of it. Who is this Gibson fellow that you mention alongside Hiro, YT, and the boys?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

MedicineHut posted:

i'm kind of sad to see lum the mad on there because nostalgia. poo poo what has he actually done other than complain about UO

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Pee in the shower and poop in the sink's garbage disposal, or cremate it on the stove and throw the ashes out an airlock. Come on commando it's not hard o7//
Mods please change my name to poo poo Stove Crematorium.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hahaha what the gently caress

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ComfyPants posted:

"Existing aerial and space combat simulators like Star Citizen"

Ready Player One was disappointing trash. My thought process when I picked it up was, "I like Ernie Cline, and I like 80s stuff. This should be good." I think I read a quarter of it before giving up. Even the 1980s didn't have as much 80s references awkwardly shoehorned into every second of it.

I can't believe I'm the first person to recommend the I Don't Even Own a Television podcast on Ready Player One. It is loving devastating.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

I can't believe I'm the first person to recommend the I Don't Even Own a Television podcast on Ready Player One. It is loving devastating.

this is mr satellite high's podcast right? have always meant to listen but never hit it up

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, is Shroud of the Avatar an omen of what is to be? I think it was a fair bit smaller than SC, but they just announced they are at ELE it seems. They announce they will be broke in 2 months without any money and are doing a last minute investment opportunity and then going to launch from pre-alpha to release by end of July.

Wonder if SC will announce their ELE with more or less time to the end.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

all turbulent lol

Turbulent is probably the only company associated with Star Citizen that knows what it's doing. Anything that they complete or seem to show off is done by them.

I believe they built that Star map thing people loved back a few years ago when there was a glimmer of hope that SC maybe bigger than a single solar system level.

They also built Spectrum I believe.

They probably have their finger tight on the pulse of marketing and their e-honor with these different franchises.

So CR comes crying "My community is horrible and disgusting! My forums are a shitheap scaring new victims away! Help meeeeee!"

Turbulent: "Its ok. We'll build a place your ... ahem community ... can go hate each other off the grid. The only way people can access this special place is after they buy in. If any threads crop up you don't like, there's a system that just lets them go away without even being noticed by a moderator locking it. The best part of this heavy moderation tool is that you can spin it off as a huge technology leap and bonus!"

CR: "Aw you guys! If only I could build a game as good as you can build all these marketing systems!"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Richie Stardust posted:

SnowCrash is excellent. Read it years ago and loved everybit of it. Who is this Gibson fellow that you mention alongside Hiro, YT, and the boys?
"He's" a supercomputer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Shroud of the Avatar is a disappointment from the ongoing scam artists who graduated at Origin Systems (scammy people lusting after money so much that EA honored their greed by naming their online store Origin after buying Origin Systems years before).

Ultima was super fun though up to 8, and UO was great even though I didn't do more than participate in the beta.

But Ultima 8 rolled out and it was sad, taking steps backwards from where it was headed in Ultima 7 part 2.

Then Ultima 9 came out, attempting to break into 3D and it was universally terrible.

SotA is Garriott trying to wring some more blood from a beloved franchise he drove into the ground. I'm glad it's failing, and I hope he never tries to make games again.

I hope Garriott and Robert do at least one more post mortem together, and Garriott at least laughs at Chris and tells him flat out that he was never a good developer and waddled on the coat tails of people far smarter than him. And also that he thinks it was hilarious that Roberts tried to make a game about space when Chris himself doesn't even know how to wrap his mind around some of the most basic concepts of space; even after people who know what they are talking about explain it to him.

Ultimately that will lead into the final foray that Garriott was greedy, and Chris Roberts was greedy and failed to listen to anybody he could have learned a drat thing from because he's got a fat, huge ego that can't accept other people having good ideas and knowing things.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

This is so perfect.

More sickening and heartbreaking, but I appreciate this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Richie Stardust posted:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/870442946591674368

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 2, 2017

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Doesn't exist, FAKE NEWS!

The warlord fixes all

fargom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 2, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Changed the link :D

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
welp thank you CIG for confirming another leak on this atv, that Sandi has been doing mocap stand in work for weeks/months now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

But that jacket though... It has got another refactoring by Chris.