Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Evil Canadian posted:

Ughhhhhh I caved and bought it on ps4, now to figure out how to add more gaming hours in a day so I can play this and injustice.

Just wait until Red Hood and enjoy some Tekken in the meanwhile. :toot:

I'll be going PS4 at the start but gonna grab this for PC as well. Might wait until I can get a reduced price though, maybe. Guess it depends how things pan out on PC in the first few weeks. First thing's first though; knock out that story mode, get my rear end into training mode.. So much to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

inthesto posted:

Works just fine with my PS3 stick

So you see, like triangle and square in the prompts instead of X and Y?

teagone posted:

Why don't have an Xbox 360 controller for your PC? They're so cheap I have 8 of them (for impromptu Gang Beasts sessions).

I already had a bunch of Sony controllers and never had a Microsoft system, so I had no reason to ever get one

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So you see, like triangle and square in the prompts instead of X and Y?

I already had a bunch of Sony controllers and never had a Microsoft system, so I had no reason to ever get one

I've never owned an Xbox either, heh. The 360 controllers just go on sale so often and they're really the best PC controller. Also, from what I remember, Steam has baked in PS4 controller support. You just need to launch Steam in "Big Picture Mode" to configure it.

[edit] Yeah, I knew Steam added support for PS4 controllers. Here's a guide: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-use-a-ps4-controller-steam,news-24039.html Don't think you'll get PS button prompts in games, but you can natively map the buttons.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 2, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Futuresight posted:

I just want to get into a fighting game. :cry:

just fix your poo poo and play tekken

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have no problem using the DS4 in games, that's not the issue. I was specifically talking about the button prompts in games. Luckily the actual movelist uses agnostic notation but all the game menu stuff is in Xboxese

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

So been playing for like 2 hours now and holy crap is the game good. netcodes also good.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I understand you're new to fighting games and want to actually enjoy them for once so, don't take this as being me being an rear end in a top hat, but 'i can't be bothered to remember if circle or triangle goes back in menus' is probably not the best way to make a good impression on the people who can and will be helping you to get good at a fighting game. I've seen it happen dozens of times. Put forth some effort of your own.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

My arcade stick doesn't even have button labels​ and this shits asking me for right bumper and I was just pressing every button till I found it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xbox 360 controllers for PC were ~$20 on Amazon just a couple days ago. Or you could get an Xbox/PC Hori Fighting Commander pad for $40.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Xbox 360 controllers for PC were ~$20 on Amazon just a couple days ago. Or you could get an Xbox/PC Hori Fighting Commander pad for $40.

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Officially-Licensed-Microsoft/dp/B01MSEPQ55

Does it matter if I get the MS or Sony version? I'd probably only ever use this for PC.

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

Keegers posted:

So been playing for like 2 hours now and holy crap is the game good. netcodes also good.

Yeah I've been playing on PC and netcode seems really good when in a game, but I keep getting messages in ranked saying its unable to connect or something. Not sure if people are declining or its a day 1 server thing.

Anyone UK/Western EU who wants to play over the weekend/Friday my steam is chemicalsweats - I've been playing regularly since tag 2 so know how to play, but I'm not super great or anything.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Foodahn posted:

I understand you're new to fighting games and want to actually enjoy them for once so, don't take this as being me being an rear end in a top hat, but 'i can't be bothered to remember if circle or triangle goes back in menus' is probably not the best way to make a good impression on the people who can and will be helping you to get good at a fighting game. I've seen it happen dozens of times. Put forth some effort of your own.

Yeah if you really want to make a good impression you should act like a condescending oval office instead.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Oh no, a man made a mild complaint about the interface... he will never learn......

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Officially-Licensed-Microsoft/dp/B01MSEPQ55

Does it matter if I get the MS or Sony version? I'd probably only ever use this for PC.

Yeah that's the one.If you ever plan to head to a local tourney (either competing or just for casuals), they'll likely be using the PS4 version though. If you only ever plan on playing on PC, then yep, the MS one will do just fine.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this it?

I'm PC only and got the Play Station one since if I ever want to play fighting games somewhere other than my house the chances are its going to be on PS4. Though the white controller does look cooler.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Yeah that's the one.If you ever plan to head to a local tourney (either competing or just for casuals), they'll likely be using the PS4 version though. If you only ever plan on playing on PC, then yep, the MS one will do just fine.

BattleHamster posted:

I'm PC only and got the Play Station one since if I ever want to play fighting games somewhere other than my house the chances are its going to be on PS4. Though the white controller does look cooler.

Cool, thanks. Do both controllers use the same method on PC? I mean as far as Xinput or Directinput or whatever that stuff is. I know that was a big concern for SF5.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 2, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Great, got that outsider-insider mentality developing on day one!

I do want to learn and put in the effort, which is why I've already spent hours reading and watching videos on this, how much kowtowing do I have to do before I can semi-ironically bitch about stuff like people do for 90% of the time in the fighting game thread?

The game seems super-technical in its timing, which will be really interesting to actually learn. I hope it's fair to note that an unsorted move list that doesn't flip when you switch sides is perhaps slightly harder to learn with, than, say, a game that took some time to put in character-specific tutorials and a categorized movelist with frame data already embedded in the practice mode

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

Cool, thanks. Do both the controllers use the same method on PC? I mean as far as Xinput or Directinput or whatever that stuff is. I know that was a big concern for SF5.

Yeah, I believe pretty much all current Hori pads/arcade sticks for both Xbox and Playstation now have Xinput capability baked in for PC compatibility.

[edit] Note: You will get Xbox button prompts on PC no matter what controller/stick you use.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 2, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Foodahn posted:

gently caress off lmao

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Yeah, I believe pretty much all current Hori pads/arcade sticks for both Xbox and Playstation now have Xinput capability baked in for PC compatibility.

[edit] Note: You will get Xbox button prompts on PC no matter what controller/stick you use.

Sucks you can't change the button prompts to something else but that's okay. I was going to preorder this game but then read that playing tekken on a 360 pad wasn't that great of an idea due to the bad dpad and the analog stick not being a good thing to use for tekken's inputs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I picked up Katarina and she is easy and fun to play. I'm even winning some games online! I do wanna go back to my man Yoshimitsu soon though.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

move list that doesn't flip when you switch sides

Good, because that's bad. NRS games do it wrong.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The preload just hosed up I think. Had to even manually delete the preloaded files as the clearing cache doesn't do it nor does uninstalling. Should have this downloaded again in 7 hours thanks to Australian internet. Hopefully it works, I've psyched myself up pretty hard for this game.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

guys.

guys.

its good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://clips.twitch.tv/ThoughtfulInterestingQueleaHassaanChop seems good

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The connection to the opponent has been lost.

Getting that on pretty much every connection attempt, only managed to play one actual online challenge so far. Anyone else experiencing this?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mr E posted:

I picked up Katarina and she is easy and fun to play. I'm even winning some games online! I do wanna go back to my man Yoshimitsu soon though.

Oh man, I started messing around with Heihachi in practice mode since he's the first guy you play in the story, then I looked at her, haha, the complexity difference is pretty stark. I was already thinking about starting to learn her first

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I thought I'd like Steve and it turns out I was right but going into training he has about one billion moves in his movelist. Gonna have to do some homework for this boy.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
being able to special cancel and reversal in tekken is a mind bending experience that I enjoy quite a bit

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr E posted:

Check it. Instead of that shark attack somersault style move where you running 3+4 with Yoshi, running 1+2 and once you somersault in right next to them commit suicide. You'll be back facing and it catches people off guard so good lol. I bet in rage it does a ton of damage but I haven't tested it yet in T7

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Any tips against Kings guessing game? Feel useless to it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does this game have a tutorial? Or character specific info? Or, uh, anything in it? Beyond Cinematic Story Mode and Loot Boxes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Does this game have a tutorial? Or character specific info? Or, uh, anything in it? Beyond Cinematic Story Mode and Loot Boxes.

Not that I've seen. I watched the videos and read the character guides in the OP to get my bearings

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Xrd spoils us

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's what I thought but that's...completely insane. What have they been doing for 3 years

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is also like SFV levels of load times with the same awful lobby system. lovely anime fighters on steam have better online functionality than this, lol.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Am I missing something or can you only advance through the movelist manually?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

In Training posted:

So when Harada was talking about how t7's launch it would be a fully featured game unlike sf5, he was blowing hot smoke then eh.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In Training posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Don't get an xbox 360 controller, the dpad is one of the worst for playing fighting games. Smug has somehow adapted to using it but I don't think it's worth the hassle. The XBone controller has a much better dpad, but for that price the hori FC is a better way to go.