Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Did you know the Indy 500 actually beat Monaco in the ratings last Sunday in the UK?

Holy poo poo.

And this is why I say that that was the 500 Indy needed to happen, minus two high profile Hondas blowing up. Big rear end crash where everyone walks away? Check. Exciting on track action, even before the last 25-30 laps? Check. Well liked driver winning it after so long? Check, and he was an internationally known name too! No rain? Check.

Who knows, maybe some people will tune in to see more after this. I'm hopeful they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

And this is why I say that that was the 500 Indy needed to happen, minus two high profile Hondas blowing up. Big rear end crash where everyone walks away? Check. Exciting on track action, even before the last 25-30 laps? Check. Well liked driver winning it after so long? Check, and he was an internationally known name too! No rain? Check.

Who knows, maybe some people will tune in to see more after this. I'm hopeful they will.

Not to mention the familiarity factor that most international race fans/F1 fans have with a lot of the talent racing.

Sato is a known guy from his years in F1. I would imagine people also look at Rossi, Chilton, etc then go "oh yeah. I remember that guy and his brief stint over here".

And honestly? I blame the lower ratings on ESPN half assing it in terms of promotion, but that's something I brought up earlier. Attendence at the track was great, and every other metric seems to be pointing upwards for the sport.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

The only problem with that is the next race is the ultimate in 500-Hangover pain: Detroit. Twice!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NFL, NBA, and NASCAR all are down 5-15% across the board. Other big one day events like the Kentucky Derby are down in the same range. The halcyon days of TV sports (and old school programmed TV in general) have passed for sure. It's just old fucks propping it up, and you can tell by the ads that everyone already realizes this.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

wicka posted:

The US TV ratings prove that it's idiotic to black out a sporting event's most passionate market, but this is obvious to everyone but IMS.

also please fire Jenna Fryer into the sun

Any idea what channel(s) they were on?

Sky Sports F1 and BT Sports ESPN, both pay channels from rival companies.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rear end struggle posted:

ratings are a dumb metric since no one under 60 owns a tv

Everybody still has TVs, they just don't have cable or other paid TV services. Ratings are a terrible metric because fewer and fewer people are watching it through the services ratings measure, and many people have literally no way to watch it legally. Hence why I keep harping on and on about IndyCar needing to be ahead of the curve in terms of a standalone streaming service.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only problem with that is the next race is the ultimate in 500-Hangover pain: Detroit. Twice!

Bring back Milwaukee after the 500 :colbert:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

They will. At least, a notable percentage of them. There has been a lot of chatter on Twitter and Reddit and other internet-forums from F1-types who went from "lol you just turn left" to "holy poo poo this is AMAZING." The racing has always been this good, of course, it's just that a lot of people prior to Indy didn't have a rooting interest to give some emotional weight to it.

Alonso brought a lot of new viewers in, and though most of them will leave with him too, there will be a lot of people that stay and realize that drivers like Sato or Chilton or even Bourdais are actually pretty drat good drivers racing in a fun and competitive series. Those new fans get a rooting interest, and if Indycar can get them to stay long enough to develop new rooting interests it's mission accomplished.

iospace posted:

Bring back Milwaukee after the 500 :colbert:

Indy-Texas would be the best 1-2 Combo to hook new fans. Imagine if last year's Texas race happened in full right after this year's Indy 500.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 1, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Wirth1000 posted:

Why is she so god drat bitter.

She's probably still mad because her seat in the media center was in the back

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

They will. At least, a notable percentage of them. There has been a lot of chatter on Twitter and Reddit and other internet-forums from F1-types who went from "lol you just turn left" to "holy poo poo this is AMAZING." The racing has always been this good, of course, it's just that a lot of people prior to Indy didn't have a rooting interest to give some emotional weight to it.

Alonso brought a lot of new viewers in, and though most of them will leave with him too, there will be a lot of people that stay and realize that drivers like Sato or Chilton or even Bourdais are actually pretty drat good drivers racing in a fun and competitive series. Those new fans get a rooting interest, and if Indycar can get them to stay long enough to develop new rooting interests it's mission accomplished.

Indeed. I may be biased here, sure, but I think Indy is taking all the right steps right now. New aero next year that is based completely on the philosophy of making overtaking possible. Fan interaction that feels on par with nothing else in terms of top level series, except maybe IMSA. Drivers that leave the smack talking to racing only, but are good friends off the track. Understanding that "Hey, streaming is a big thing now, we need to make sure that we have options with the next TV deal for it."

Then again, it may just be a major contrast compared to NASCAR. F1 is also starting to take some good steps as well, but that's sort of an odd spot right now with it because of the fact they aren't a spec series.

KingShibby posted:

She's probably still mad because her seat in the media center was in the back

:thurman:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iospace posted:

Final ratings:
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/869958696465510400

Queue the article from a certain AP writer smugging over "SEE, RATINGS SUCK FOR INDY! THEY'RE FAILING!"

I wonder if there's a comparable metric for international viewing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

I wonder if there's a comparable metric for international viewing.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Did you know the Indy 500 actually beat Monaco in the ratings last Sunday in the UK?

Holy poo poo.

And Spain had twice the viewers for the 500 compared to Monaco.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iospace posted:

And Spain had twice the viewers for the 500 compared to Monaco.

Yeah, I saw Fuzzy's posts and I was hoping for numbers :3:

Searching for them myself is :effort:.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06-01-500-celebration-highlights
Clips from the 500 banquet.

*edit*
It doesn't have TK's jab at Hamilton, but that's ok.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 1, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Then again, it may just be a major contrast compared to NASCAR. F1 is also starting to take some good steps as well, but that's sort of an odd spot right now with it because of the fact they aren't a spec series.

I've noticed F1 has started to do a lot more video stuff on Facebook. Maybe it always has, I dunno, but even though I don't like the F1 FB page at the moment I don't have any qualms about watching race highlights or any classic clips I come across. I'm not going to get to a point where I'll wake up butt-gently caress early to see an F1 race live, but it's nice that it's relatively easy to keep up with the series.

So yeah, Indycar is in the same boat here. A lot of new viewers may not catch every race, but as long as Indycar keeps up with the social media and live streaming, and hounds them with highlights and history and race replays and such, you're going to keep their casual interest. Even if the majority of that interest ever only translates into wanting to watch the Indy 500 every year, that's still one better than not watching the series at all, and even still is one step closer to getting someone on board completely.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Minto Took posted:

Yeah, I saw Fuzzy's posts and I was hoping for numbers :3:

Searching for them myself is :effort:.

But anyway, this whole jab was a shot at the AP thinking only 'murican ratings matter.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

All the online stuff F1 is doing is new since the Liberty takeover.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

All the online stuff F1 is doing is new since the Liberty takeover.

Yeah, F1 needed an ownership change, it was choking under Bernie.

That said, it feels like NASCAR is what F1 would be if there was no one to tell Bernie no.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

Yeah, F1 needed an ownership change, it was choking under Bernie.

That said, it feels like NASCAR is what F1 would be if there was no one to tell Bernie no.

Remove the splitters. Reduce aero. Kill Brian France.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

omfg you guys

https://twitter.com/DaleCoyneRacing/status/870339554418577410

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hey that wide black label tape isn't cheep man

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar is always high in sodium.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

I know I know. I just like him in open wheel.

He still is.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indycar is always high in sodium.

after the texas CART race got cancelled, literally the next day all the teams had big bumperstickers that said "REAL MEN RACE AT TEXAS" on their toolboxes and poo poo. what turn around time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cowards Afraid to Race at Texas

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndyHallESPN/status/870012617657659392

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes I also watch Super Formula. :)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cowards Afraid to Race at Texas

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

that is loving hilarious

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Indys18Wheels/status/870443990574870528

NIMBY'S are the stupidest looking motherfuckers ever.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I'm super-glad our generation grew up on video games and the internet and loud race cars. I'm sure we'll eventually be old and crotchety NIBMYs about other things but not the fun stuff.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I'm super-glad our generation grew up on video games and the internet and loud race cars. I'm sure we'll eventually be old and crotchety NIBMYs about other things but not the fun stuff.

"Hey guys. There's people dying from lack of healthcare. There's 7 wars going on, and there's a massive problem with the criminal justice system. Not to mention people in Detroit have limited economic opportunities"

"BUT MUH EARS! MUH WILDLIFE! ALL THAT MATTERS IS ME! THOSE ETHANOL POWERED RACE CARS ARE POLLUTERS!"

idiots.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol our generation is just as fygm as others, we just don't have property values to pearl clutch over

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My neighbor's Chihuahua will never shut the gently caress up

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

isnt belle isle a park in the middle of a river that nobody ever goes to unless its the 1 weekend a year there are racecars there? im gonna guess by her outfit that shes mad that it scares the birds there or something

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

isnt belle isle a park in the middle of a river that nobody ever goes to unless its the 1 weekend a year there are racecars there? im gonna guess by her outfit that shes mad that it scares the birds there or something

Someone said the criticism of Belle Isle is that it's now a state park and thus takes state money or something.

I don't think that's her criticism though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
why does a truck have a twitter account

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
like, is it like KITT

does it have an english accent

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Boy howdy I love that all of the garbage tweets and youtube comments and trackforum posts I specifically avoid get reposted here like its some sort of link aggregator of garbage.

Also yeah Belle Isle gets a lot of visitors in the summer, its quite nice. I mean, I've gone in March and they've already setup the jersey barriers and fencing for the race which is pretty uggo, so I can understand some of the gnashing of teeth.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Norns posted:

My neighbor's Chihuahua will never shut the gently caress up

They don't even curb their dog! This neighborhood is going downhill fast!

• Locked thread