Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
1. Half-rear end
2. Salaryman
3. Frostbite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Few more hours and I'll total it up. If I have the opportunity I'm going to run the thunderdome.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

paragon1 posted:

Assuming that's actually true, it will be doubly true of their opponents, who I guarantee can't absorb the losses nearly so well.

And what exactly are you basing this on? Just that Mitsuhashi is willing to pay more?

Iceberg still fishes in the Bering Strait, and they brought in an investor, who is truthfully not rich enough to pay for more than one or two PMC missions, but still. Iceberg has settled in for a long military campaign and one does not do so without the funds to back it up.

BSNC on the other hand does not have its revenue stream threatened. Their money is made elsewhere and they're funnelling it into the proceedings in the Bering.

One other thing to consider is the US. They're already providing radar to Iceberg and BSNC, and strikes on American soil are strictly forbidden. Who says the US does not (or will not) send some money to them to help? In the eyes of the US, they're the ones with the legitimate claim, and the US has a habit of violence for economic reasons.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Well, no need for the IRV when we have a vote like that. My goal is to run it this weekend.

Cobbie is working his way north. Last I heard they were hopping up from port to port while the weather is good. At the rate they're moving I'm figuring they'll arrive in about 20 years. Just kidding, but yah, it's slow. We're in the absolute middle of nowhere.

The Nuge flew out of Anchorage and played a sold out show in Detroit. There was lots of Great White Buffalo going on, and lots of passing the hat for cash. The crowds are certainly stirred up but it seems no one is eager to fly north and help out.

Our contact from Mitsuhashi came to me today about a rather unusual request. We are to keep an eye out for a certain Midori Hasegawa. I'm still pulling in the facts but it looks like Hiroto Hasegawa, an executive with Mitsuhashi, had a falling out with his daughter Midori. Last he heard she had shipped off to either Nome, or to join up with Angerpeace. This all happened a week before the BSNC struck. I'm not sure what we can do for now, but bonuses might be involved once Cobbie gets up here.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yooper posted:

Midori Hasegawa

Campaign boss spotted. I wonder what she'll be flying.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Oh god, Cobbie's going to end up in a violent love triangle with his ex and our boss's daughter. :gonk:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hexenritter posted:

Oh, good catch.

Clearly, itll be a prototype Shinshin, stolen to help her quest to defend the alaskan wildlife from all who would hurt them.

Picture Sky Crawlers meets Princess Mononoke

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Start back channel negotiations with BSNC, try to get info on woman. If she died with angerpeace we'll both need to spin it somehow.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

RandomPauI posted:

Start back channel negotiations with BSNC, try to get info on woman. If she died with angerpeace we'll both need to spin it somehow.

I don't think they have the self control to not hold her as hostage and/or execute her.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I think we've found the Japanese Patty Hearst

Find one Japanese chick somewhere in the frozen north. Right on that, boss. :rolleyes:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 2, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Added Space posted:

I think we've found the Japanese Patty Hearst

Find one Japanese chick somewhere in the frozen north. Right on that, boss. :rolleyes:

she shipped out on a c-130 called the Scopuli

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

Oh good, I've always wanted one of these. I originally said it should be the Nuge in the Discord but I remembered he was a draft dodger and scrapped that idea.

Dr. Snark posted:

Definitely going to show up later, yeah. I'm erring towards "experimental Japanese plane," possibly CMANO's equivalent of the ASF-X Shinden from the Ace Combat games. Or maybe a F-14 for maximum Macross.

I actually proposed a Super Tomcat for the Nuge.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hexenritter posted:

Definitely going to show up later, yeah. I'm erring towards "experimental Japanese plane," possibly CMANO's equivalent of the ASF-X Shinden from the Ace Combat games. Or maybe a F-14 for maximum Macross.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing if she was on the island she's already dead. If they want an out doing a show of reconciliation and repatriation could help.

Edit: Basically I'm hoping we can help them not attack iceberg before there's a blatant violation. And when that happens I want Mitsu to see BSNC as an ally or at least neutral party with a common enemy.

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
It has come to my attention that the Mig-18S may or may not be in the database that the LP uses. If it isn't, I'll spend a few finding a replacement craft.

EDITL gently caress it, just use a J-6A.

omegasgundam fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 2, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr. Snark posted:

It's like you're reading my mind

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I have another one of these questions probably only I care about: how canon is the thunderdome itself? I'm assuming we are not actually sending 8 of our pilots up in Korean War era relics to see who survives the longest, but like is this just a plot contrivance or are we buying everybody involved a copy of DCS: Yak-25 or whatever and acting it out in an in-world sim?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

power crystals posted:

I have another one of these questions probably only I care about : how canon is the thunderdome itself? I'm assuming we are not actually sending 8 of our pilots up in Korean War era relics to see who survives the longest, but like is this just a plot contrivance or are we buying everybody involved a copy of DCS: Yak-25 or whatever and acting it out in an in-world sim?

I think he's putting all the planes in CMANO using the 1945-1980 DB and having them fight each other.

EDIT: poo poo misread it, probably in character it would be the latter.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

power crystals posted:

I have another one of these questions probably only I care about : how canon is the thunderdome itself? I'm assuming we are not actually sending 8 of our pilots up in Korean War era relics to see who survives the longest, but like is this just a plot contrivance or are we buying everybody involved a copy of DCS: Yak-25 or whatever and acting it out in an in-world sim?

It's an airborne bumfight: we hired a bunch of random jerks to fly terrible garbage and try to kill each other, our planeless pilots each picked one to bet on, and the winner of the bet got first pick of the slightly-less-terrible garbage Willy foisted on us.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
We've learned an important lesson here: if you're in a dogfight, piston beats jet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dance Officer posted:

And what exactly are you basing this on? Just that Mitsuhashi is willing to pay more?

Iceberg still fishes in the Bering Strait, and they brought in an investor, who is truthfully not rich enough to pay for more than one or two PMC missions, but still. Iceberg has settled in for a long military campaign and one does not do so without the funds to back it up.

BSNC on the other hand does not have its revenue stream threatened. Their money is made elsewhere and they're funnelling it into the proceedings in the Bering.

One other thing to consider is the US. They're already providing radar to Iceberg and BSNC, and strikes on American soil are strictly forbidden. Who says the US does not (or will not) send some money to them to help? In the eyes of the US, they're the ones with the legitimate claim, and the US has a habit of violence for economic reasons.

I'm basing it on Mitsuhashi knowing how to count.

"But still" nothing. If the Nuge wants to bankrupt himself with shot down F-16s and paveways, then it's no skin off our noses. loving Tibet took longer than two ops.

BSNC doesn't have that big a revenue stream to begin with, hence their equipment consisting entirely of battlefield loot and whatever a bunch of former South American secret police can bring to the table.

:rolleyes: Now whose engaging in baseless arguements? The whole premise of this setting is centered on US federal budget cuts and resurgent isolationism. You think they're going to throw millions at a couple groups they couldn't be bothered to openly support in the first place? To shoot at a bunch of Japanese guys with nice fishing boats? Please.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, the US govt blowing money it doesn't have on a military boondoggle sounds very fanciful to me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quinntan posted:

We've learned an important lesson here: if you're in a dogfight, piston beats jet.

War Thunder player chiming in: yes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZgrSAm7V9k

A bumfight between goons in the skies. It wasn't nearly as horrible as some of the tests were. We actually had some good dogfights, a raging dumpster fire in a Marine jet, and the winner crashed when he ran out fuel.

The Last Man Standing Roster is :

• Quinntan : Seafire F. Mk47
  • Slaan : Yak-25 Flashlight
  • Mryenko : Avia S-199
  • Dandywalken : F-89D Scorpion (Shot all 104 Might Mouse Rockets at one target)
  • Bacarruda : FJ-4 Fury
  • xthetenth : F7U-3 Cutlass
  • jalak : J28A Vampire
  • Circlmaster : Meteor F Mk4

Yes, technically Slaan's Yak-25 was the last plane alive, but he ran out of ammunition prior.

So, our winners get to choose for a B-Team pilot to fly one of these gems. Quinntan first choice, then down the list. This pile of hotshit will be available during the next mission.

Fighters
Mig-19PM http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/1763/
Mig-21bis http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/1291/
Mig-23ML http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/1304/
Su-15TM, http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/3022/

Attackers
Mig-19S http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/1552/
Mig-23BN http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/168/
Su-7BKL, http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/189/
Su-17M3 http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/1270/

Yooper fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 2, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Gotta go with the Su-17

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, the US govt blowing money it doesn't have on a military boondoggle sounds very fanciful to me.

DEBT

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Actual results notwithstanding, the real winner is Dandywalken for hitting anything whatsoever with air to air rockets.

Is it just me or did the audio get desynced as time went on?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
SU-7BKL because it can carry nukes

Also, I totally won that. I had more than half of my gas tank left. It took skill to outfly the other pilot until he ran out of fuel. I could safely fly back and land the plane. Nobody else did :colbert:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 2, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

My list because I fly bad shameful planes and I can't be sure which I'll be able to pick from is in this order:
MiG-21 Bis entirely because I have a model of this plane please let me fly it.
MiG-23BN
MiG-23ML
MiG-19S
MiG-19PM
Su-15TM

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thunderdome best dome.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

So, our winners get to choose for a B-Team pilot to fly one of these gems. Quinntan first choice, then down the list. This pile of hotshit will be available during the next mission.

After Mryenko and Dandywalken have picked, here are my choices, in order:

1. MiG-23ML Flogger G
2. MiG-23BN Flogger H
3. MiG-19PM or MiG-19S

Employing these things is going to be pretty tricky.

We should probably keep these things on the ground for the first half of the mission, until we can. locate targets.

I'd suggest we put the Su-17 and both the MiG-23s in an anti-shipping attack flight, armed with AS-7 Kerry air-to-surface missiles. They go in first and try and hit enemy ships to slow them down and damage their air defense.s

The MiG-19s, the Su-7 and the MiG-21 can be put in another anti-shipping flight, armed with unguided rockets. They can come in next and try to finish off the damaged ships.

The remaining Su-15 can be kept on the ground on Alert 15 as an emergency interceptor we can scramble to help out. It doesn't really have the gas to be kicking around on CAP.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Man the Seafire VS Avia was some Battle of Britain stuff. Spitfire VS Bf-109

You had the wrong picture for the Seafire, it's a naval/carrier Spitfire.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Have I got a target for a single-use crappy Russian jet.

St. Lawrence Island is almost siege proof. The locals already hunt and grow their own food, and they're surrounded by some of the nastiest waters in the world. There's only one thing they can't get locally, energy.

Most of Alaska is dependent on diesel for energy, shipped on small barges from the port of Anchorage. They use it for heat and for electricity generation. St. Lawrence Island has their generator in Gambell.

Shipments to St. Lawrence are usually trans-shipped from Nome, but given current conditions they'll have to make a longer trip from Hooper's Bay. One "crazy Russian" and a fireball in the middle of the ocean, and St. Lawrence will start running out of gas. Of course, we don't know exactly when those shipments happen, but a little birdie in space should be able to tell us.

This isn't an immediate killer since it's still summer - but all we need is one cold snap. Without heat, water will condense into the delicate electronics of the planes and radar, degrading their effectiveness. Without electricity a lot of support infrastructure goes down.

Most militaries would just steal from the civilians, but I very much doubt BSNC would do the same. They'd have incentive to negotiate to make sure this didn't happen again right before winter shuts down the sea and temperatures start heading into the death zone.

e: vvvv That's the other option, if you think you can hit it with the Mamba standing guard.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 2, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Some napalm would help with the fuel storage.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paragon1 posted:

I'm basing it on Mitsuhashi knowing how to count.

"But still" nothing. If the Nuge wants to bankrupt himself with shot down F-16s and paveways, then it's no skin off our noses. loving Tibet took longer than two ops.

BSNC doesn't have that big a revenue stream to begin with, hence their equipment consisting entirely of battlefield loot and whatever a bunch of former South American secret police can bring to the table.

:rolleyes: Now whose engaging in baseless arguements? The whole premise of this setting is centered on US federal budget cuts and resurgent isolationism. You think they're going to throw millions at a couple groups they couldn't be bothered to openly support in the first place? To shoot at a bunch of Japanese guys with nice fishing boats? Please.

The US? No.

The Chinese, who hate both us and the Japanese? Absolutely. Wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Star are getting their munitions supplied gratis by Beijing on the off chance they manage to down one of our planes.

And anyone who says that's ridiculous - they sent a carrier group to Angola because it meant they might have a chance to go after us. Shipping some materiel out is practical no effort in comparison.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yooper posted:

[*] Dandywalken : F-89D Scorpion (Shot all 104 Might Mouse Rockets at one target)

Thats how it works, the F-89 was a stategic bomber interceptor, you fly up, meet the commie bomber formation, zip in, spam a shitton of rockets in one slavo and hope you hit something, and zip out.

(Warning a bit loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWROSSHzOXA

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

The Sandman posted:

It's an airborne bumfight: we hired a bunch of random jerks to fly terrible garbage and try to kill each other, our planeless pilots each picked one to bet on, and the winner of the bet got first pick of the slightly-less-terrible garbage Willy foisted on us.

Yooper posted:

A bumfight between goons in the skies. It wasn't nearly as horrible as some of the tests were. We actually had some good dogfights, a raging dumpster fire in a Marine jet, and the winner crashed when he ran out fuel.

Has it occurred to any else how very dystopically Neo-Roman it is that we presumably just had a bunch of down-in-the-dumps hobo pilots kill each other for sport? :hist101:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Yooper posted:

Our contact from Mitsuhashi came to me today about a rather unusual request. We are to keep an eye out for a certain Midori Hasegawa. I'm still pulling in the facts but it looks like Hiroto Hasegawa, an executive with Mitsuhashi, had a falling out with his daughter Midori. Last he heard she had shipped off to either Nome, or to join up with Angerpeace. This all happened a week before the BSNC struck. I'm not sure what we can do for now, but bonuses might be involved once Cobbie gets up here. [/b]

Yooper, you don't happen to have ever played a con game with Mike Pondsmith, right?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats how it works, the F-89 was a stategic bomber interceptor, you fly up, meet the commie bomber formation, zip in, spam a shitton of rockets in one slavo and hope you hit something, and zip out.

(Warning a bit loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWROSSHzOXA

Well,

Battle of Palmdale posted:

While the drone flew over Castaic, the first crew lined up and fired 42 rockets, completely missing their target. The second interceptor moved into position and unleashed another salvo of 42, the rockets passing just beneath the bright red drone, a few glancing off the fuselage underside, but none detonating.[1] Close to the town of Newhall the pair of jets made a second pass, launching a total of 64 rockets; again none found the mark. The two Scorpion crews adjusted their intervalometer settings and, as the wayward drone headed northeast toward Palmdale, each fired a last salvo of 30 at the target with no hits, dispensing their last rockets. In all, the Air Force element fired 208 rockets and were unable to shoot the Hellcat down.

More like how it was supposed to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Palmdale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
In the defense of the airforce and their dumbass decisions, the hellcat was a way smaller target than the intended recipients of those rockets. :v:

It's still loving stupid though.