Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What will the future generations think of :nexus: modding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

To break Kayfabe for a minute but what?
I'm pretty sure that's part of the "The SKSE devs are lazy and evil for keeping SKSE64 to themselves"-shtick we're apparently going for.
Skywind doesn't have its own script extender, those guys use SKSE. And Silverlock is just the website.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Raygereio posted:

I'm pretty sure that's part of the "The SKSE devs are lazy and evil for keeping SKSE64 to themselves"-shtick we're apparently going for.
Skywind doesn't have its own script extender, those guys use SKSE. And Silverlock is just the website.

It's more like looking for a reason for where we are now. There is no SKSE for SSE, nor Fallout 4. This is a lot of work, yeah, but to assume that only the (2, 3?) people on the SKSE team are the only ones capable of doing it is silly. Since the SKSE people don't want to share or get help from outside of their area then it stagnates. Since there already is SKSE and the inertia behind it tied in with the way permissions and modding work in large part because of the Nexus and it's culture there is little reason to try to develop a successor to SKSE for SSE that isn't made directly by the SKSE team itself.
I don't have any ill-will toward the SKSE people but I am a little disappointing in how they handle things, in how they seem to like their respected status that Artmoor wishes he had, and just to the left of a mystical sort of aura around SKSE. There is no reason why it isn't full-open source with permissions either besides whatever emotions the SKSE team has about it. It isn't monetary as they themselves say they don't want to cross that boundary with their professional careers which means the only reason left is selfishness. Which is fine, but just admit it and don't try to wrap it up in 'oh users are dumb can you imagine the chaos of there was *gasp* a different script extender????'
Stagnating creativity is dumb as heck everywhere including my waifu simulators.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GunnerJ posted:

There should be a good mod list or at least an indicator of that in the OP, but... I've failed you all... :negative:

Ah, no, it turns out I'm a piece of poo poo whose ancestors did not read the OP! I thought I had but that must have been another thread entirely. :downs:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mister Adequate posted:

Ah, no, it turns out I'm a piece of poo poo whose ancestors did not read the OP!

No, that's not what I mean. The OP is actually not useful for what you're asking because I have slacked off on updating it. Yours was a fair question, I'm just useless!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't actually played that much Skyrim - I just beat the main quest like five years ago - so Live Another Life is an interesting experience. I started in Raven Rock, wandered around thinking a Morrowind remake would be extremely good, and then went to sleep and woke up in some dude's shrine. Lmao.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm all for anything that makes anyone's preferred flavor of Skyrim, whether New Hotness or Old And Busted, work better, so I sure hope this isn't some Microsoft employee blowing smoke up someone else's rear end.

(I'm pretty much sticking with Old & Busted til there's a New Hotness supported Legacy of the Dragonborn, because I love that clunky bloated stupid museum too much.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GunnerJ posted:

No, that's not what I mean. The OP is actually not useful for what you're asking because I have slacked off on updating it. Yours was a fair question, I'm just useless!

Ahaha, no worries buddy, it's still a decent enough starting point from what I can see!

Orv
May 4, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Speaking of which, apparently Xenius bitched off the internet so you need another character overhaul up there.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'll have to nudge nudge wink wink that you can probably find it on /r/modpiracy until then though (like with Wyrmstooth, etc.).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Uh, is mod piracy actually covered under SA piracy rules now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Orv posted:

I doubt it, since SA can't be sued over mod piracy and that's the major reason the piracy rules were ever made.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Too many waifus can ruin your laifu.

More like Waifu Cage Match, amirite

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I doubt it, since SA can't be sued over mod piracy and that's the major reason the piracy rules were ever made.

I mean, 95% of the reasons mods aren't available anymore boil down to "Someone said something mean about something a thin-skinned autist made so they took their ball and went home" and gently caress those people.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Orv posted:

Nah, it just seems more tasteful to obliquely hint at it somehow.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orv posted:

mod piracy?

Nobody better steal literally a bird :colbert:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You wouldn't download a car mod.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

docbeard posted:

You wouldn't download a car mod.
Wrong game, but still gamebryo.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49042/

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I think mod piracy falls under the "don't rile up enough nerds to get SA ddosed

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tried a quest mod called Clockwork. Not recommending it. I like the neat castle and there's a lot of attention to detail, but the quest design is terrible. It traps you in the area, and your first quest is to set up a machine to let you leave. To do so, you have to hunt down ten specific items hidden in a giant dungeon, then find ten specific places to put them. It's basically a gigantic pixel hunt, it sucks so hard and you just end up backtracking for hours. I ended up teleporting out with the console.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But I will say: If that was changed it would be really good. The writing is good, the area is cool, it does good storytelling through level design. There's a lot of neat stuff in the mod, but that can't make up for a tedious quest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If you tcl through the bullshit parts, what happens?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This may not be the right place to ask, but does anyone know of a mod that reduces the visual effect of some of the magic for SSE?

I love the graphics on fireball/chain lightning etc. but with something like the Nightingale blade that drains health, you have this constant red mist going from your opponent to you every time you strike. It really obscures the crit kill animations and makes it difficult to see what's going on because both models have this red and green mist everywhere. Or with ebony mail, you are surrounded in combat by this black mist, and on a stealth kill you and your victim are kind of surrounded by it so you both just look like shadow people or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Good question, I didn't try. I don't know how to find quest IDs and do that in the console.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As long as you complete the quest triggers it should be fine. Like there's a Repair A Steam Pipe thing where it says find x repair bits and then use them on y spots, if you wanted to you could just console in the appropriate number of repair bits or whatever you need and slap them all in the right places instead of finding them. Or look up the quest stages and advstage them, but :effort:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
You can tcl noclip through it fine. It's basically what I did when the drat quest sent me back down through the same ol' same ol' for the third or fourth time. Clockwork is otherwise good as a house mod, and the quest NPCs are interesting. gently caress that dungeon though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The clockwork dungeon is a great place to use unrelenting force.

Also, the sheer salty bitterness some folks in this thread have shown over the skse64 thing is loving hilarious.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good question, I didn't try. I don't know how to find quest IDs and do that in the console.

have you tried the lost city? I thought that was a well done 'find your way out' quest mod.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

sebmojo posted:

have you tried the lost city? I thought that was a well done 'find your way out' quest mod.

Lost City did just about everything Clockwork did wrong, right. I still like Clockwork's quest, just not in the relation to the dungeon.

It has some strangeness about hijacking the music, though, and haven't seen anything about the issue being addressed, so I wouldn't actually recommend it on a long term playthrough. Fortunately, it's designed more around lower levels, starting at about level 5, so it's pretty good for a throw away character.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Do you have to do the quests first to unlock the house, or can you just have the house and ignore the quest entirely?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

greententacle posted:

Do you have to do the quests first to unlock the house, or can you just have the house and ignore the quest entirely?
Only if you're willing to console-teleport in and out.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This Lost City sounds neat. Is it on Steam Workshop or will I have to brave :nexus:?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RickVoid posted:

This Lost City sounds neat. Is it on Steam Workshop or will I have to brave :nexus:?

Yeah. We've been talking about it incorrectly. It's The Forgotten City, and it is on Steam workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528616722

e: like I mentioned earlier, it had some oddities with music playback, and people report it turns up later in their playthroughs, even when it is supposedly "fixed", so I only really recommend it for a new, throwaway character (about level 5-8).

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Anyone have experience with the mod Vigilant? It's supposedly in japanese with an English translation floating around somewhere, and I'm hearing that it's really good.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Beyond Skyrim: Bruma has a release date of July 1st. They missed their first release date by like 3 years, so hopefully everything goes smoothly!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I've always wanted to make a Skyrim mod with a cool story. :(

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Yeah. We've been talking about it incorrectly. It's The Forgotten City, and it is on Steam workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528616722

e: like I mentioned earlier, it had some oddities with music playback, and people report it turns up later in their playthroughs, even when it is supposedly "fixed", so I only really recommend it for a new, throwaway character (about level 5-8).

I just played through this in the span of about...6 hours? Very much worth the time invested and you get a really neat toy to play with at the end of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I need some help identifying a mod. Something is telling me my Dragonborn blood gives me the power to fly. It levels up when I kill dragons. I just got a pop-up about flapping my wings to gain height, but can't find anything online, and can't seem to make it work. Help in the console shows "Winged" as a base Skyrim ability, but that can't be right. Does anyone have a clue what I'm looking at?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kiggles posted:

Yeah. We've been talking about it incorrectly. It's The Forgotten City,

It's pretty good, yeah. It really rewards you for trying something out "I wonder if..." style. Any mod which encourages you to think outside the box and then doesn't punish you for getting inventive is a good mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Psion posted:

It's pretty good, yeah. It really rewards you for trying something out "I wonder if..." style. Any mod which encourages you to think outside the box and then doesn't punish you for getting inventive is a good mod.

Getting into the Palace is a good example for this.