Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

I enjoyed this crappy sword/gun fighting game from Korea called GunZ

:sigh: same

the sequel was awful

E: I just realized I've been talking about the sims 4 the past two posts when I've been meaning the Sim City reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Vegetable posted:

Fukken same.

Also i don't get all the loving nostalgia for TF2. Like, i'll admit i sunk about 1500 hours into it during highschool but all the new weapons and the introduction of crates and it turning into a hat simulator basically ruined all goodwill i had for it. I dumped it for Bad Company 2 in college as well as Blacklight Retribution (which i still miss the heyday of, that game was loving fun for a free to play title). Never could get back into it once it turned f2p since every little kid with a $10 walmart headset would gently caress up any fun to be had.

So yeah, TF2 is just the overwatch of pre-2010 and your nostalgia is lying to you.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

The Jumpoff posted:

So yeah, TF2 is just the overwatch of pre-2010 and your nostalgia is lying to you.

TF2 was an actual game; Overwatch is a wind-up music box with only the illusion of interactivity

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Zorodius posted:

TF2 was an actual game; Overwatch is a wind-up music box with only the illusion of interactivity

You literally do the same thing in both games. I'm not going to defend overrwatch because it has a ton of problems, but TF2 also had those problems. We just weren't aware they were problems back then.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I put about 80+ hours into Disgaea on the ps2 when I was in high school and I think it's the best turn based rpg on the system.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zorodius posted:

They're the exact same game, the only differences are that everyone in TF2 had a shotgun and everyone in Overwatch is gay.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if you like TF2 you like Overwatch and vice versa, at least on a fundamental level. Overwatch just came pre-glittered while TF2 worked up to it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Krustic posted:

I put about 80+ hours into Disgaea on the ps2 when I was in high school and I think it's the best turn based rpg on the system.

I remember when I thought 80+ hours was a lot during middle school / high school.

Then I discovered Bethesda games and started logging weeks's worth of hours for each game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah, TF2 doesn't have ults

which are bad

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think final fantasy xv was a real fun and chill game that was good for just kicking back and video gaming

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I legitimately hate overwatch and if you think it and TF2 are more than superficially similar then you're kind of an idiot

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think final fantasy xv was a real fun and chill game that was good for just kicking back and video gaming
i thought this too until i realised i could just play something else where i didnt have to constantly pull the camera out of bushes and gave up like ten hours in

i still really enjoyed setting the car on autopilot and burning one until i got to wherever I was going :420:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Gonna go out on a limb and say both TF2, Overwatch, and literally anything with an "in game economy" is gutter trash of the nth degree regardless of any potentially enjoyable gameplay.

I refer to my previous call for "Full Games Communism."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tf2 was best when it was just a shooter bundled in the orange box.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Tf2 has an economy?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Overwatch is like TF2 except it has characters people want to gently caress.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Tf2 has an economy?

An economy of hats.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

realism in FPS games is the stupidest thing, especially when it's coupled with regen health. i don't want to carry up to two generic weapons at a time, i want access to an entire arsenal all at once, with cool weapons mixed in with the usual pistols and shotguns

i hope that Doom 2016 signals the beginning of the shift but i'm not an optimistic guy

There's a time and a place for realism in a shooter, and that is called Armed Assault. Or games of that ilk. I don't mind the weapon limitations in more sim-styled games but it shouldn't be the majority of regular FPS, it's a dumb as gently caress limit in a game like Halo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sid Vicious posted:

I called Sony customer support at 10 PM when someone had hacked my account and activated a different master PS4 and they helped me get the other one deactivated and mine reactivated so maybe try calling when it's late at night. I have seen a lot of people online complain about how they won't help at all though so maybe the Canadian support guys are just better :shrug:

It's because you can transfer it once per six months. If you called them a second time they'd tell you to go gently caress yourself pretty much.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Points you can only spend on yourself and can't trade are not an economy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Tf2 has an economy?
I don't know about the last few years but at its peak TF2 had a thriving base of players trading in-game cosmetics and cosmetic-crafting material to levels where you'd have trade barons and some rare items would sell for thousands of real world dollars. CS:GO has a similar system but I think it's about knife handles and gun butts or something. It was frighteningly impressive considering it arouse out of a silly shootymans game.

Irradiation posted:

Points you can only spend on yourself and can't trade are not an economy.
This. Overwatch's system is a random prize generator you get for playing the game long enough, only you can buy random packs of prizes too. There are a tiny handful of items that are exclusive to certain events (e.g: Chinese New Year) or require you to grind in other Blizzard games to get them, but they're not tradeable and don't affect gameplay. Anyone whining about them "on principle" is a tool.
--------------------------------------------
Super Mario Bros. 2 is utter garbage. Frequency/Amplitude were better than any Guitar Hero/Rock Band poo poo and glorious 00s relics.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The only reason TF2 survived as long as it ddid is because of hats

like it or not btiches

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

oh yeah, I loving hated the "only two weapons allowed mate, it's a strategic choice" thing. Halo ushered it in and then everyone followed

It's SO MUCH MORE BORING

Let me carry 10 guns at all times. I don't want to have to agonize over taking Fun Gun 1 over Fun Gun 2 because the game forces me to. I want to keep both Fun Gun 1 and Fun Gun 2 and then use them whenever I want

Can't believe 2 guns only became the industry standard.

Regenerating health is okay but makes 90% of games completely trivial. Regenerating health would have been a cheat code in older games.

Once again, Doom 2016 shows us all how it should be done both in regards to a players arsenal and health. But no one will probably bother to follow their footsteps

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 2, 2017

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The PC version of Deus Ex mankind divided, IIRC, had "contact hardening shadows" turned on by default. But the game doesn't explain what the hell contact hardening shadows are, and it doesn't explain that they will crush your framerate. Come to think of it, the PC setting menu should also explain that MSAA will destroy your framerate.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Deus Ex mankind divided was bad

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Shut up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was

It was just not particularly good at anything

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Deal with it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
BOZO

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Overwatch is like TF2 except it has characters people want to gently caress.

You have a lot to learn about the internet my friend...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

this game was actually p good until they added pve, I played the poo poo out of it in middle school

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Zzulu posted:

It wasn't very good.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Naerasa posted:

They're the exact same game, the only differences are that everyone in TF2 had a shotgun and everyone in Overwatch is gay.

hahaha

when i first played overwatch i hated it and i called my friends retards for telling me it was a good game but it grew on me significantly and i have like 80 hours in the game, purely because genji.

the movement abilities and skillset of genji in overwatch is the best innovation in the first person shooter made since quake 3. you might just say 'uh dude he's literally the scout, literally just the scout except without a shotgun' but he doesn't just double jump he can climb up walls about thirty feet into the air and vault over obstacles and ledges and both of those things are just passive abilities with no cooldown. paired with his cooldown dash you basically never have to touch the ground. it's the most satisfying and entertaining movement set i've ever played in any game and it gives you such a ridiculous degree of freedom and verticality it's really really fun

i guess the hard counters are kind of lame but its not like there arent other fun characters. im a big fan of THE vulcan cannon robot that people are still dumb enough to try and play chicken against

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

hahaha

when i first played overwatch i hated it and i called my friends retards for telling me it was a good game but it grew on me significantly and i have like 80 hours in the game, purely because genji.

the movement abilities and skillset of genji in overwatch is the best innovation in the first person shooter made since quake 3. you might just say 'uh dude he's literally the scout, literally just the scout except without a shotgun' but he doesn't just double jump he can climb up walls about thirty feet into the air and vault over obstacles and ledges and both of those things are just passive abilities with no cooldown. paired with his cooldown dash you basically never have to touch the ground. it's the most satisfying and entertaining movement set i've ever played in any game and it gives you such a ridiculous degree of freedom and verticality it's really really fun

i guess the hard counters are kind of lame but its not like there arent other fun characters. im a big fan of THE vulcan cannon robot that people are still dumb enough to try and play chicken against

So overwatch is good because one character ripped off titanfalls gimmick?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

overwstch is good because it has good graphics, tight as gently caress gameplay and butts

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Overwatch is hot garbage and 10x the clusterfuck of tf2. Ults are terrible to have in an fps.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's because you can transfer it once per six months. If you called them a second time they'd tell you to go gently caress yourself pretty much.

No I realize you can transfer it once every six months you can do it from their website yourself but that had already been done presumably by whoever had hacked my account they were very helpful still.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

hawowanlawow posted:

Overwatch is hot garbage and 10x the clusterfuck of tf2. Ults are terrible to have in an fps.

Actually ults are a lot of fun
you now stand corrected

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SpaceClown posted:

So overwatch is good because one character ripped off titanfalls gimmick?

thats a mech game on consoles i dont care about that. you make it work with a mouse and keyboard and i start caring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

thats a mech game on consoles i dont care about that. you make it work with a mouse and keyboard and i start caring

Its been on pc since 2013