Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've always pictured Taco as a talking Taco, and also spelled like the food (which is named after him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
but why would Adult Griffin leave Teen Griffin alone with the clown box in the first place...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He wasn't supposed to go near it!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Who What Now posted:

He looks pale. That's not exactly inhuman.

He's also slate-colored, with no pink undertones. At this point, my headcanon of Taako is prominently shaped by fanart, and he's green or blue in a lot of the fanart.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He's also slate-colored, with no pink undertones. At this point, my headcanon of Taako is prominently shaped by fanart, and he's green or blue in a lot of the fanart.

Taako is officially white.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
New Awful Squad is gettin' real weird with all the mommy stuff but man I love watching these goobers be terrible at this game, the day they git gud is the day I stop watching.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Russ' whole "staggeringly incompetent" gimmick has long since run thin with me. "He's here with me!" How does that in any way mean "he's up on a different roof."?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Russ is the worst

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, and canon has changed over time -- remember who Merle used to worship? The boys have multiple times since said that the characters are any race or physical shape you want them to be.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think Pat is my favorite non McElroy Polygonner. Please Retweet + 200 Minutes in Young Sheldon Heaven is hard to beat. I love Nick's stuff too, but there's a certain through line with Pat. He doesn't break character easily. But at the same time, Nick's play through of the Linkin Park album...this is so hard.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

What's up with the head sillouette in the background above Merle?

That's Griffin, your dungeonmaster, your canon-slayer, and your best friend.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
if nothing else, this whole adventure zone thing has provided me with a great list of crazy people to block on twitter

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres no way that having a brown person named taco wouldnt make these same people lose their fuckin minds. They cant win.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
overwhelmingly white people screaming about racial representation and threatening a woman on twitter dot com

ain't fandom grand

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ariong posted:

What's up with the head sillouette in the background above Merle?

I think it's supposed to be a skull-shaped dungeon or lair or whatever.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Part of me wishes TAZ ends after this balance arc because the fandom is horrible (myself included) and we put undue stress on these good boys that only want to put on a good show.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

(that was a joke, Justin was referring to himself)

quote:

overwhelmingly white people screaming about racial representation and threatening a woman on twitter dot com

Ojjeorago posted:

Someone on the Rose Buddies page wanted Griffin to stop saying boy because there was a black person.

Worth pointing out the person arguing this was also white.

I feel like 99.9999% of the oversimplified arguments about race that become strawmen for the alt-right are made by white people. There have been so many good, nuanced discussions of race and representation in fantasy and fiction and language initiated by actual POC, it is like nails on a chalkboard when I see other white people stumbling in with their clumsy interpretations. Like, it's well-meaning, but wow we can really gently caress up the dialogue and re-center it on ourselves and what we think is the problem rather than what is actually the problem to the person/people we're defending. We should be really sure we know what the hell we're talking about before we get on that soapbox. Which I guess is a good life lesson in general.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Crindee posted:

New Awful Squad is gettin' real weird with all the mommy stuff but man I love watching these goobers be terrible at this game, the day they git gud is the day I stop watching.

Yeah. Weird. That's I was thinking too :grin:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
NEVERMIND I'M DUMB.

Am I the only one that actually kind of got a little emotional over the Lup/Barry stuff? I don't know why, but Griffin's exposition sometimes really gets me going. I would love to hear him read some audiobooks or something.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm sorry, what? LINK PLEASE.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I picture Taako's skin being akin to transparent plastic, his veins, sinew, muscles, and organs visible underneath.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Taako is Jughead, permanently closed eyes and all, except with a robe and wizard hat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How do you win PUBG? Camp a house from the beginning and get lucky that it's in the final circle?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PostNouveau posted:

How do you win PUBG? Camp a house from the beginning and get lucky that it's in the final circle?

Only if you get very lucky and the house you pick is well-stocked, otherwise you'll be hosed over when enough people are in the circle that you're in danger of them running across you -- and of course that's ignoring being very lucky enough to be near the center from the start.

I don't think a winning strategy for the game can avoid at least some sitting around and fortifying a position, but I don't think it's wholly camp-and-win-and-nothing-else.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The only person I've ever witnessed get #1 is Beaglerush. Based on what I've seen of his stuff, It involves knowing when to play it safe vs. when to get reckless, pinpoint firing accuracy, and just a little bit of luck.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Holy poo poo folks (apologies if it's already been posted ITT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf1lf7kkHd0

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Alright there's been a lot of talk about antisemetic Taako but what's the deal with Merle being a deadbeat dad? I haven't listened to TAZ in a while but I don't remember anything about Merle having kids when they went into his backstory during the groundhog's day arc.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Crocoswine posted:

Alright there's been a lot of talk about antisemetic Taako but what's the deal with Merle being a deadbeat dad? I haven't listened to TAZ in a while but I don't remember anything about Merle having kids when they went into his backstory during the groundhog's day arc.

I think it's in one of the lunar interludes, his spa day with the director. IIRC it's something about he didn't really spend enough time with his kids and he half-heartedly dipped into clerichood because he thought it would give him direction and purpose in life or something?

I remember that interlude seeming sort of autobiographical. Very much the idea that Clint is in TAZ in the first place so he could spend time with his boys too.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Crocoswine posted:

One of the Lunar Interludes featured him going down planetside to visit his two children, Mavis and Mookie. This was never touched on before, in part due to Merle keeping it a secret from his coworkers. Probably because he's ashamed about being a deadbeat dad.

More recently, the Redrobed Lich, whose identity was a mystery at a time, saved them both from being killed by a runaway cart. I think it was between The Eleventh Hour and The Suffering Game, because I remember being pretty sure it was a reaction to them replying to his question of "Do you trust me?" with a collective "Of course not!" I suppose logically that means they first appeared in the Lunar Interlude between The Eleventh Hour and whichever one came before.

EDIT: vvThat. So right now the only ones who know about his kids are him, Angus, Barry, and maybe the Director.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We meet his kids in Lunar Interlude IV, after The Eleventh Hour. He had a son and a daughter, and Merle talks to Ango about how he wasn't there for them for the better part of their lives and was trying to reconnect with them.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

The Narrator posted:

I think it's in one of the lunar interludes, his spa day with the director. IIRC it's something about he didn't really spend enough time with his kids and he half-heartedly dipped into clerichood because he thought it would give him direction and purpose in life or something?

I remember that interlude seeming sort of autobiographical. Very much the idea that Clint is in TAZ in the first place so he could spend time with his boys too.

I don't think there's anything autobiographical in it. Everything the boys have said about and done with their dad has made it seem like he is and always has been a huge part of their lives.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I don't think there's anything autobiographical in it. Everything the boys have said about and done with their dad has made it seem like he is and always has been a huge part of their lives.

Yeah, he always makes sure to keep them updated whenever a celebrity dies!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Yeah I got the impression that Merle's strained relationship with organized religion was semi-autobiographical, but the rest of the backstory was only Clint fleshing Merle out and making him a distinct character.

Although it was kind of a thing with both Merle and his character in TAZ Nights that they worry about getting replaced in their crew. Merle by Angus and other NPCs they meet, and I forget his TAZ Nights character name, but he was intimidated about Lin Manuel Miranda's character being a better bard than him. Makes me wonder if that's a thing either in relation to his boys getting famous or friends from his past.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

creationist believer posted:

Yeah I got the impression that Merle's strained relationship with organized religion was semi-autobiographical, but the rest of the backstory was only Clint fleshing Merle out and making him a distinct character.

Although it was kind of a thing with both Merle and his character in TAZ Nights that they worry about getting replaced in their crew. Merle by Angus and other NPCs they meet, and I forget his TAZ Nights character name, but he was intimidated about Lin Manuel Miranda's character being a better bard than him. Makes me wonder if that's a thing either in relation to his boys getting famous or friends from his past.

If I recall right his Nights character's name is Lenny, and in the episode with LMM he mentioned something about the name at least being inspired by Lin. So having him on as another bard kind of undercut that in a hilarious way.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Yeah, I know he's a big part of their lives. But I felt like the idea of turning to religion as a support after something bad happening (though your heart might not really be in it) and being worried/guilty that you weren't doing enough for your kids (in a general sense) came from the heart.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Ah, so it happened after this whole TAZ graphic novel was already underway then.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Green Taako was what I saw everyone begging for when the graphic novel was announced. The revelation in the fandom that actually, Green Taakos are bad, is recent, like a month, tops. How quick do they think the turnover for this is? And honestly why's Green Taako bad but half of the kids I see complaining have Peridot from Steven Universe icons? Maybe that's a false equivalency but like, come on.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 2, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Someone put up an unsourced tumblr article about how green people are actually coded antisemitism and everyone believes it because who would just lie on the internet

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 2, 2017

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
I am very glad that Russ was not the one streaming the most recent Awful Squad, but he still managed to Frushtrate the gently caress out of me. I hope he gets replaced with Justin or that Chris dude soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah Russ is really a wildcard in these games. He's so unreliable and unclear, you can tell it's frustrating to the others.