Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doesn't the bill have to pass with a veto-proof majority already because California's dumbass Constitution has a supermajority requirement for all revenue?

Why wouldn't they just pass it again over the governor's veto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

No simplified tax forms? Sad.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

So who is California's version of Joe Lieberman who will make sure to kill the bill (and Californians)

Glazer was busy talking up Obamacare and talking about how single-payer needs to go to the ballot, not through him, implying that he wouldn't vote for it even if all the problems were fixed, so my eyes are on him.

Also the A being for "Allies" is bullshit straight people pull; even by voltroon's own argument it being for Ally is worse than it being for Asexual because, guess what, everything said there applies to "allies" far more than it applies to ace people. And any gay people who have a "vested interest" in the "intercommunity politics" of it are, as stated, the same lovely gay men who tried to keep trans people and so on out too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 2, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

:confused:

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Wtf are DIMMS?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So Russia is in with the Paris Climate deal, but we're out? What the gently caress Puti, pull in the leash a bit.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?
They usually suffer from mental or physical disabilities that make them unemployable, unlike the gimmies.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Anyone have a link to one of those China stories posted many pages back in regards to the corporations blowing cleaner air at the air quality sensorsp? My googling isn't pulling up those specific ones.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is she a hack? Serious question, since she's always seemed relatively sane to me. The snippets of interviews I've heard from her seem to indicate that she's not a Trumper.

She's a former Bush admin flack like David Frum. And sure, like him, she's what passes for a "reasonable Republican" nowadays, but that doesn't mean she should be rewarded by giving her hosting privileges.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

dimm-ocrat, or a standard RAM computer component, depending

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

This is ace erasure.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

If your right wing nutjobs are anything like our, its their attempt at weaving an insult into the name of something they dont like. Like fiberals.

Also Im 100% convinced Lou Dobbs is just a bunch of chickens stuffed into a fat suit and forced to walk around.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

business hammocks posted:

Thomas will want to hear it because he can again report the whispers from dead colonials that he hear nightly, this time explaining that because black people are property they must travel to and from the us via freight or the baggage hold.

Look on the bright side, this way people of color get to use their laptops. :v:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

Say it out loud. It's the equivalent of rethugzzz

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Kramdar posted:

Anyone have a link to one of those China stories posted many pages back in regards to the corporations blowing cleaner air at the air quality sensorsp? My googling isn't pulling up those specific ones.

Here's one

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Minion of Freya posted:

They usually suffer from mental or physical disabilities that make them unemployable, unlike the gimmies.

I thought of the same DS9 episode, nice.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Anora posted:

So Russia is in with the Paris Climate deal, but we're out? What the gently caress Puti, pull in the leash a bit.

Putin undoubtedly laughed his rear end off today as he watched his dog further sink US credibility and its status as the leader of the free world, he's getting exactly what he wants

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Minion of Freya posted:

I was going to do a joke about Dick Miller being dead, but it turns out he's still alive and doing great.

World War III coming any day now though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Also the A being for "Allies" is bullshit straight people pull; even by voltroon's own argument it being for Ally is worse than it beign for Asexual because, guess what, everything said there applies to "allies" far more than it applies to ace people. And any gay people who have a "vested interest" in the "intercommunity politics" of it are, as stated, the same lovely gay men who tried to keep trans people and so on out too.

Asexual people don't exactly get demonized and actively discriminated against, but on the other hand men do get actively shamed for admitting they're not interested in sex and I imagine women who aren't interested in sex get a lot of poo poo from their family/community/rapey guys so a community that's based around fighting for civil rights, dignity, and respect for non-heterosexual orientations should probably be pushing back against prejudice against asexual people even if it's not as violent and over-the-top as homophobia.

Also the more people who describe themselves as queer, the less heterosexuality remains the normal, regular-people thing to do, so yeah I'm with you bring in the ace's, make as much of the world as possible as queer as possible :gay:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM didn't know Dobbs was a gamer but it makes sense

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't the bill have to pass with a veto-proof majority already because California's dumbass Constitution has a supermajority requirement for all revenue?

Why wouldn't they just pass it again over the governor's veto.

Raising taxes requires 2/3 majority in California, because the ability to amend the state constitution with a 50% ballot initiative is a terrible loving idea.

California is sort of the US on a small, leftist scale. Its structure is incredibly stupid but somehow it manages to stagger on through sheer economic power.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pellisworth posted:

Raising taxes requires 2/3 majority in California, because the ability to amend the state constitution with a 50% ballot initiative is a terrible loving idea.

California is sort of the US on a small, leftist scale. Its structure is incredibly stupid but somehow it manages to stagger on through sheer economic power.

Like, CA would benefit hugely from breaking away from the US for no other reason than he chance to wipe its constitution clean and start over without prop 13

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I know why their constitution is the way it is.

I was asking why, since 2/3 majority is also the threshold to override a veto, it matters whether the governor vetoes or not. Are there legislators who have said they might support it the first go-round but will definitely not cross Jerry Brown if he vetoes?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the ballot initiative system in CA is heckin broken

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Asexual people don't exactly get demonized and actively discriminated against, but on the other hand men do get actively shamed for admitting they're not interested in sex and I imagine women who aren't interested in sex get a lot of poo poo from their family/community/rapey guys so a community that's based around fighting for civil rights, dignity, and respect for non-heterosexual orientations should probably be pushing back against prejudice against asexual people even if it's not as violent and over-the-top as homophobia.

Also the more people who describe themselves as queer, the less heterosexuality remains the normal, regular-people thing to do, so yeah I'm with you bring in the ace's, make as much of the world as possible as queer as possible :gay:

There isn't as much active discrimination, but people can still be super lovely about it (including gay people sometimes; I've seen some surprisingly awful poo poo that kind of blew my mind because before it I assumed there just wasn't any reason anyone would be like that against asexuality, particularly someone else who's queer), and from what I've seen a lot of conservatives, including my own family, would be just as willing to disown someone for being ace as they would gay, bi, trans, etc. I think it'd probably get more poo poo if it were more well-known, the same way non-binary people don't get as much demonization or active hate simply because most hateful assholes don't even know they exist. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if that changes soon; with California's senate passing a bill to legally recognize non-binary people and there not really being any reason for it to not to similarly get through the assembly and signed into law, I have a feeling conservatives are going to find a whole new thing to hate soon.)

Also, again, on the original subject of what the "A" should stand for... The idea that it should be "Ally" is still really, really dumb. Like, setting aside the shittiness of trying to exclude ace people in the first place, if you're policing who gets to be queer, letting people who explicitly aren't queer in makes no sense.

VitalSigns posted:

I know why their constitution is the way it is.

I was asking why, since 2/3 majority is also the threshold to override a veto, it matters whether the governor vetoes or not. Are there legislators who have said they might support it the first go-round but will definitely not cross Jerry Brown if he vetoes?

Maybe? Some of our bad Dems didn't vote in favor or were wishy-washy already, so, we'll see I guess. Though if the AHCA happens I really hope none of them nor Brown try to stop single-payer because that thing is a disaster. (I mean, I hope none of them try to stop it anyway, but, yeah.)

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

The stuff you mentioned is moreso misogyny/rape culture, I think, although there is a significant overlap between misogyny and homophobia, which I will grant. Informed queer intersectional politics should be opposed to manifestations of either anyways, which indirectly combats any sort of shaming that ace people might experience. I agree that ace people are natural allies in fighting this sort of discrimination, in the same way that people oppressed under axes of race and class will often be combating the same things. I just don't think that ace people are necessarily part of the queer/LGBT umbrella.

You could apply a similar argument to people who are polyamorous: do they experience societal shaming as a result of the way their relationships are formed? Yes. Are they inherently part of the queer community (for straight polyam people specifically)? The consensus seems to be that they are not.

I disagree that having a lot of people unnecessarily calling themselves queer benefits the community. At one point there was massive debate regarding including people who practice BDSM under the queer umbrella, people who are polyamorous, and those obnoxious heterosexuals who feel like they are "queering" heterosexuality because the guy lets his wife peg him. That all stemmed from a complete misunderstanding of the underpinnings of queer theory more than anything. At one point that discussion even extended to pedophilia and bestiality, which is obviously bullshit.

I guess I should also disclaim that I am approaching this from the perspective of a qwoc, for whom resources and safe spaces are already very scarce. It really does rub me the wrong way when people who do not experience that type of discrimination try to access community resources or interject into intracommunity issues that already suffer from a lack of intersectional understanding.

I should also say that I don't think Allies are part of the queer community per se and should not have access to community resources. There was a huge uproar (justifiably) a few years ago when an Ally girl received an LGBT scholarship, because the scholarship was extended to people who were LGBTQIA. However, having "Ally" as part of the acronym, particularly when it comes to activist organizations, offers questioning people a safe gateway into the community as well as providing additional support (as long as allies understand their place and act as allies, rather than trying to steer the organization).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

boner confessor posted:

dimm-ocrat, or a standard RAM computer component, depending

Ultra fast thinking, full of facts, and completely forgets everything when not pandered to? Yeah checks out.

this isn't my best work

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

In the Star Trek Deep Space Nine two-part episode "Past Tense," the crew gets shot back in time to 2024, a year when American cities were forcing the poor and unemployable to live in ghettos called "sanctuary districts" so they can just rot there so the rest of society doesn't have to deal with them.

According to that episode, "Dims" is the commonly-used term for retarded people at the tail end of the Trump administration.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

The Glumslinger posted:

Like, CA would benefit hugely from breaking away from the US for no other reason than he chance to wipe its constitution clean and start over without prop 13

Lol good luck with that

quote:

In an interview in 2014, California Governor Jerry Brown lamented that he hadn't built up a "war chest" with which to campaign for an alternative to Proposition 13. Governor Brown said he'd learned from his failure in the mid-1970s to build a war chest that he could have used to push an alternative to Proposition 13. Governor Brown was definitive that he would not seek to change the law, a third rail in California politics. "Prop. 13 is a sacred doctrine that should never be questioned," he said.[5]
Gov. Moonbeam is about as liberal as you can reasonably get in this country.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

She's a former Bush admin flack like David Frum. And sure, like him, she's what passes for a "reasonable Republican" nowadays, but that doesn't mean she should be rewarded by giving her hosting privileges.

True, but she honestly seems a lot saner to me than Jeff Lord. His tongue is firmly planted up Trump's rear end, but Wallace doesn't seem to be a Trump fan. I dunno.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I'm just now waking up and reading this news and this quote from the man himself just sticks out:

quote:

“At what point does America get demeaned? At what point do they start laughing at us as a country?” Mr. Trump said. “We don’t want other leaders and other countries laughing at us anymore. And they won’t be.”

It's like he's so close to self awareness but so far away.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pakled posted:

In the Star Trek Deep Space Nine two-part episode "Past Tense," the crew gets shot back in time to 2024, a year when American cities were forcing the poor and unemployable to live in ghettos called "sanctuary districts" so they can just rot there so the rest of society doesn't have to deal with them.

According to that episode, "Dims" is the commonly-used term for retarded people at the tail end of the Trump administration.

Don't forget: the sanctuary districts ie open-air poor-people-prisons are still to the left of the 2016 Republican Party, because in the fictional dystopia the poor people were fed and housed instead of just being locked in to starve.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

True, but she honestly seems a lot saner to me than Jeff Lord. His tongue is firmly planted up Trump's rear end, but Wallace doesn't seem to be a Trump fan. I dunno.

She provides good insight, especially when talking about Spicer and Republicans who feel abandoned. I like her, but she really doesn't deserve her own show.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

From the twitter replies, apparently it's short for 'Dhimmicrat' a Bush-era slur signifying that Democrats foolishly support Muslim civil rights. Never heard the term before either.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Bugsy posted:

From the twitter replies, apparently it's short for 'Dhimmicrat' a Bush-era slur signifying that Democrats foolishly support Muslim civil rights. Never heard the term before either.

How the hell are people so awful at coming up with slurs?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

voltroon posted:

The stuff you mentioned is moreso misogyny/rape culture, I think, although there is a significant overlap between misogyny and homophobia, which I will grant. Informed queer intersectional politics should be opposed to manifestations of either anyways, which indirectly combats any sort of shaming that ace people might experience. I agree that ace people are natural allies in fighting this sort of discrimination, in the same way that people oppressed under axes of race and class will often be combating the same things. I just don't think that ace people are necessarily part of the queer/LGBT umbrella.

You could apply a similar argument to people who are polyamorous: do they experience societal shaming as a result of the way their relationships are formed? Yes. Are they inherently part of the queer community (for straight polyam people specifically)? The consensus seems to be that they are not.

I disagree that having a lot of people unnecessarily calling themselves queer benefits the community. At one point there was massive debate regarding including people who practice BDSM under the queer umbrella, people who are polyamorous, and those obnoxious heterosexuals who feel like they are "queering" heterosexuality because the guy lets his wife peg him. That all stemmed from a complete misunderstanding of the underpinnings of queer theory more than anything. At one point that discussion even extended to pedophilia and bestiality, which is obviously bullshit.

I guess I should also disclaim that I am approaching this from the perspective of a qwoc, for whom resources and safe spaces are already very scarce. It really does rub me the wrong way when people who do not experience that type of discrimination try to access community resources or interject into intracommunity issues that already suffer from a lack of intersectional understanding.

I should also say that I don't think Allies are part of the queer community per se and should not have access to community resources. There was a huge uproar (justifiably) a few years ago when an Ally girl received an LGBT scholarship, because the scholarship was extended to people who were LGBTQIA. However, having "Ally" as part of the acronym, particularly when it comes to activist organizations, offers questioning people a safe gateway into the community as well as providing additional support (as long as allies understand their place and act as allies, rather than trying to steer the organization).

Didn't the A start showing up to denote politically active ally groups like PFLAG? I don't know when exactly asexuality started showing up as a banner people organize under, but it seems more recent than the expanded initialisms past T and Q. Even if not, allies in political struggle seem different than individual people wanting access to gay places.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Lou Dobbs is scum and how is he even still alive?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Willo567 posted:

Off topic, but are there any other good sites for political discussion?

Sometimes I have a bit of free time at work, so I go onto the political threads at Neogaf, but I feel as though they're a lot more hostile. Is it just me?

Everything is always just you. Every input you experience is just your brain interpreting your reality. Prove to yourself you're not just a consciousness floating in a void. Solipsism-ed!

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

business hammocks posted:

Didn't the A start showing up to denote politically active ally groups like PFLAG? I don't know when exactly asexuality started showing up as a banner people organize under, but it seems more recent than the expanded initialisms past T and Q. Even if not, allies in political struggle seem different than individual people wanting access to gay places.

Yes, basically. LGBT was the core acronym for a long time, then Q was added to include may of the folks who felt they didn't fit under those four (e.g. pansexual people, gender nonconforming people, etc.). There was quite a bit of debate regarding Q for Queer vs. Q for Questioning which was more or less resolved in favor of "it's both". Then the IA was added later on. The I is its whole own can of worms so I won't even get into that.

The A historically meant "Allies" and yeah, it was basically for activist groups. Obviously it doesn't make sense to talk about LGBTQIA rights if the "A" stands for Allies because those allies already have those rights. The A in most acronyms typically stood for "Alliance", like with GSAs.

The alphabet soup stuff, QUILTBAG, MOGAI, etc. is really messy and difficult to pick apart because it all basically represents a struggle within the community to embrace as many people as they can under the queer umbrella because gender and sexuality are sticky, vague things that don't always fit neatly into a single definition, while still preserving the meaning of what the community actually is.

The 'A is for asexual' stuff started really coming into discourse around 2013 or so (at least, that's when I started seeing a lot of it), largely spurred on by AVEN, which is an asexual advocacy organization that was started by a straight ace guy with some very questionable politics of his own. A lot of people got on board with it because of the aforementioned struggle, but in the past year or two there has been pushback from within the community because of the stuff I mentioned earlier with ace people starting to dominate spaces. There has also been a nasty trend of ace people particularly online and among younger folks, demonizing LGB "allosexuals" for being dirty and wrong, which we get enough of in the outside world without having to deal with it in our own community.

I totally understand how people naturally relate this to some of the arguments that were used to exclude bi or trans people from the community, but most of the pushback I have seen really has not come from gay white men like you would expect. I've typically seen it from queer women and trans people, who feel already feel marginalized within the community. There is also a small but vocal contingent of ace people who are also LGBT who vehemently argue that cis/hetero aces are not part of the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's not that Canada is all powerful. It's that they're a single market and global companies will take less money there as long as they continue to soak US customers. Switzerland is tiny too and they pay less.

California's different in that any deal they make is going to influence prices in other states. And Cali probably can't afford a single payer system at current costs. Drug companies might be willing to just not sell to 10% of the population to keep higher profit margins on the other 90%.

The reason medical companies charge so much in America is because they can. No other reason. In poorer nations they'll take whatever profit they can get based on what people can afford. In richer nations with functional governments they'll accept the arm twisting to not gouge people because their options are "a little profit but nothing too insane" and "make no profit because you aren't selling anything at all." The reason they detest the idea of UHC coming to America is because they can turbo gently caress Americans as hard as they want right now. They really can't get away with that anywhere else.

• Locked thread