Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Dimebag posted:

KD joined a stronger team sure, but at least he didn't claim "Not one, not two, not three..." He left that to his dickhead owner, light years ahead!

I mean they kinda are light-years ahead of the league. They're breaking so much that goons want to burn down the league so that another super team didn't happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They aren't really light years ahead, just lucky and not incompetent.

I wish my team was that.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

E2M2 posted:

I mean they kinda are light-years ahead of the league. They're breaking so much that goons want to burn down the league so that another super team didn't happen

Yeah, but I think that comment much like LeBrons doesn't really do anything but feed the hatred. Just show a little humility and the flames of hatred don't get stoked as much. This series is great, the subplots going on throughout are fascinating and it'll be a shame once the season is over.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

E2M2 posted:

gah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

E2M2 posted:

:thunk:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Noctone posted:

GSW blew out the Cavs the first two games last year and we all know how that turned out so I wouldn't quite jump to conclusions just yet.

Jumping to conclusions is what this forum does, see 2.5 quarters of game 1 western conference finals

That said the warriors win in 5 anyway

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

God this poo poo better not be just blowouts regardless who wins. The loving point of super teams in East and West is to make the finals spicy

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ammanas posted:

God this poo poo better not be just blowouts regardless who wins. The loving point of super teams in East and West is to make the finals spicy

I mean games 1-6 last year were blowouts and it still turned out to be (arguably) the greatest Finals series of all time sooooo,

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

E2M2 posted:

We need a :thunk: but instead it's agreeing and nodding at the sage wisdom.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/AdamReisinger/status/870489140634165249

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Noctone posted:

I mean games 1-6 last year were blowouts and it still turned out to be (arguably) the greatest Finals series of all time sooooo,

You could say the result was great but the only game of note was 7 where it was competitive until the last second, makes it broadly a lovely final with a decent ending

Like no one says a movie that's boring until a cool ending sequence is a great movie

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

You could say the result was great but the only game of note was 7 where it was competitive until the last second, makes it broadly a lovely final with a decent ending

Like no one says a movie that's boring until a cool ending sequence is a great movie

Nah

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Cavs are a +500 underdog now, this is great betting time

that said, the Cavs winning it all seems a lot tougher now since they got blown out of the water. but they're definitely not turning over the ball 20 times like they did tonight again

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

E2M2 posted:

:smug:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If it wasn't for the cap boom KD would've been choosing between the Lakers (who his connection to was probably real at one time, or, at least Nike was hoping it was real) and the Thunder instead of the Celtics, Warriors and Thunder and maybe, he would've made the right choice then and stayed with the Thunder but considering all the other things you guys write blaming Russ or whatever, maybe he still leaves and the amount of complaining you guys would've done would last for 10 years instead of until next year when you guys all embrace him because you get tired of the lovely playoff posters hottaking about him still 365 days from now and decide that Durant winning and making those people leave is probably better than any alternative.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Rabid Snake posted:

Oh man the Warriors are so lucky that the Cavs shot 34.6 percent!!!!

Settle down Beavis.

Also yes they were very lucky. Games after long layoffs get weird sometimes.

Edit: not even saying that they'd lose if the Cavs shot better. Just that last night is. Likely an outlier, raw shooting % being a factor

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 2, 2017

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

LeBron did leave a 61 win Cavs team to go a team with Wade and Bosh. I guess that's one less great player than the Warriors had when Durant joined, but it's a pretty similar situation.

Not really , the Warriors have a system and fit together and may well still be the best team in the league even without Durant. This is more like if the Spurs core was still in their prime when they figured out their motion offense chemistry and then they beat Lebron and then Lebron went and joined a Spurs team that was already the best and would be favored to win even without him.

This is like Lary Bird getting added to the Showtime Lakers.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I enjoyed last night's game because KD has a beautiful jumper.

Also, I still like you, Klay. :unsmith:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

milk milk lemonade posted:

Settle down Beavis.

Also yes they were very lucky. Games after long layoffs get weird sometimes.

Edit: not even saying that they'd lose if the Cavs shot better. Just that last night is. Likely an outlier, raw shooting % being a factor

GSW could shoot better also.. Cavs give up so many open shots, they slow. They need to foul more and just hope to get friendly whistle and slower game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't see the second half.

I'm assuming it was boring?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
cavs got shut down at the rim, GSW started bombing 3s.over.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope we never stop talking about why KD joined the best team in basketball that was a lock for a finals appearance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

the Cavs are a +500 underdog now, this is great betting time

that said, the Cavs winning it all seems a lot tougher now since they got blown out of the water. but they're definitely not turning over the ball 20 times like they did tonight again

Last year they lost Game 1 by 15 and game 2 by 33. Remember these are games in Oakland and Cavaliers "should" lose them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The Cavs also came out looking like they just rolled out of bed to play basketball after taking several weeks off. So did the Warriors but they seemed to shake it off quicker.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dutchy posted:

Yeah the Warriors are just such a weird and unique case because normally teams don't sign a guy for 44/4 and then he wins two MVPs.

If B-R is right the Warriors salary situation is such that they could add a second Kevin Durant, contract and all, out of thin air, they'd just barely pass the Cavs in total salary.

This isn't how the NBA cap works. It's a soft cap, which means you can go over for a few exceptions (mostly to resign your own guys, which is what the Cavs did). Golden State is above the cap a little bit too, but not by much. But in reality this season neither team was able to sign a big contract.

This offseason Durant likely signs a little under the cap in a 1 year contract and then sign a max the season after (this would pay him more than leaving Golden State, so it's not much of a "pay cut"). However, Golden State is going to be way over the cap so they will start paying a tax. I dunno how long the ownership will be willing to shell out tens of millions, then hundreds of millions in money that goes to other teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Someone needs to go find and destroy the Warriors' toaster horcrux

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lockback posted:

This isn't how the NBA cap works.

the nba cap system is a blue ball machine

and the warriors found a way to nut

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
trade pop to Cleveland effective immediately

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Griff better get the motivational speech ready early this year instead of waiting to game 5

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The best thing that came out of game 1 was Rihanna making sure KD knows he'd never have a chance with her.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The best thing that came out of game 1 was Rihanna making sure KD knows he'd never have a chance with her.

Yeah the Rihanna/KD stuff owned.

And Jeff Van Gundy completely ignoring a Lebron dunk to ogle her.

https://twitter.com/Med2Cold/status/870483818704240642

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Someone posted that it's gonna be 2 years until the warriors have to make hard decisions. This is untrue, they have a done of hard decisions to make this offseason. Here are their rotation players that are up for a new contract:

Stephen Curry
Andre Iguodala
Shaun Livingston
Zaza Pachulia
David West
JaVale McGee

They are at 66.7 million without any of them signed. They sure as poo poo are going to be resigning both Durant and Curry at max deals. Stephs max is 36 mil and KD is at 35 mil.

That puts them at 137.7 mil, 17.7 above the luxary tax line with a team of:

Steph Curry
KD
Draymond Green
Klay Thompson
Patrick McCaw
Kevin Looney
Damian Jones.

Now, I'm no GM but that sure as poo poo looks like 4 1/2 rotation players to me. That's a really bad place to be, considering they have to sign 7ish dudes for basically the vet minimum. They need to find another starting center for cheap and 3 more actual rotation players.

This team is going to start looking like the 2014 heat way faster than people realize.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Codependent Poster posted:

Rihanna saving herself for Embiid

I'm not convinced KD won't go back to OKC after his rings

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Someone posted that it's gonna be 2 years until the warriors have to make hard decisions. This is untrue, they have a done of hard decisions to make this offseason. Here are their rotation players that are up for a new contract:

Stephen Curry
Andre Iguodala
Shaun Livingston
Zaza Pachulia
David West
JaVale McGee

They are at 66.7 million without any of them signed. They sure as poo poo are going to be resigning both Durant and Curry at max deals. Stephs max is 36 mil and KD is at 35 mil.

Steph Curry
KD
Draymond Green
Klay Thompson
Patrick McCaw
Kevin Looney
Damian Jones.

Now, I'm no GM but that sure as poo poo looks like 4 1/2 rotation players to me. That's a really bad place to be, considering they have to sign 7ish dudes for basically the vet minimum. They need to find another starting center for cheap and 3 more actual rotation players.

This team is going to start looking like the 2014 heat way faster than people realize.

They get to play with Cap holds. Since Curry's cap hold is low, they get a "free" 20 million they can play with by not giving him his contract until the end. If Durant takes 5 or so million off his 1 year contract, they will be able to not renounce bird rights on Iggy and Livingston, and resign them to whatever. They'll be into the tax, but they won't be in repeater territory.

Pachulia and McGee are gone unless they take minimums. West is probably gone unless they want him over Iggy of Livingston. So they will catch some headwind, but that's not that big of a deal.

Edit:

Here's an article that explains it better. And Durant has already said he is open to taking a small cut.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-new-cba-heres-what-has-to-happen-for-warriors-to-keep-durant-and-curry/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Scoring champion Kevin Durant was allowed unfettered access to the lane last night, someone must stop him

Paul Zuvella posted:

Stephen Curry
Andre Iguodala
Shaun Livingston
Zaza Pachulia
David West
JaVale McGee

Steph Curry
KD
Draymond Green
Klay Thompson
Patrick McCaw
Kevin Looney
Damian Jones.

I mean one of the four would probably get traded before that (sorry Klay) or leave in free agency to go be a star somewhere else. That said KD had said he'd be willing to take a discount so they could sign more people (real fuckin nice) and while I don't think Steph is going to agree to $11m aav again, he seems like the kind of cornball that would agree to take less because ~*~team over everything~*~

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

and while I don't think Steph is going to agree to $11m aav again, he seems like the kind of cornball that would agree to take less because ~*~team over everything~*~

Curry taking a paycut doesn't help. His cap hold is only 18 million. So they can just sit on that hold then sign him to his supermax after the roster has been shook out. Durant would need to take the hit because his cap hold is much higher.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The players association would have an aneurysm if Steph took anything less than max

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Declan MacManus posted:

Scoring champion Kevin Durant was allowed unfettered access to the lane last night, someone must stop him

I mean one of the four would probably get traded before that (sorry Klay) or leave in free agency to go be a star somewhere else. That said KD had said he'd be willing to take a discount so they could sign more people (real fuckin nice) and while I don't think Steph is going to agree to $11m aav again, he seems like the kind of cornball that would agree to take less because ~*~team over everything~*~

I'm not going to be shocked when the Pels trade a pick or something for Klay.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

E2M2 posted:

Nah, I don't really mind that the warriors are dominating the league because I know when the team eventually falls off the cliff Bay Area fans will go back to pretending like they don't exist like the Niners and I won't have to deal with them. And it's not like they are going to knock my team out of contention or anything. Just gotta wait it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If Curry and Durant both get the max this season then there is no reasonable way they can keep both Livingston and Iggy and they could only possibly keep one of them if they took a way below market contract. Then you are gambling with a roster of the big four, plus McCaw and Looney, plus a taxpayer MLE guy ($5m), plus minsal vets - until summer 2019 when Klay hits FA and there is no way they could max him at that point so he'll probably leave (or they could trade him before then I guess). So while this Warriors team is probably one the three or four greatest teams ever, the next two seasons their depth is going to be appreciably worse and it can't conceivably last longer than that.

Of course if Durant is willing to take less than the max then all bets are off.

• Locked thread