Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Turns out the barnacles are just an alien USB charging station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Overwined posted:

So I ditched my FAS. While it is a fun boat for doriftu, it really can't take many licks and I'm not a good pilot. Does anyone have a good Python combat fit, preferably something tanky? I kept the engineered weapons from the FAS since hardpoint configs between the two are very similar.

I'd go to FDL if you want combat. I used a python and unless you get an awesome G5 dirty roll you will be forever pitching whilst eagles and cobras nibble at your behind, and you're just a giant target to gunships and condas.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Plus now you can get a sweet FdL ship kit (or a Corvette one, if you have that).

But I still prefer the Python for the extra internals and the 3L/2M loadout.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plus now you can get a sweet FdL ship kit (or a Corvette one, if you have that).

But I still prefer the Python for the extra internals and the 3L/2M loadout.

AHHHHHHH MAH GAWD!!!

YAAAS QUEEN YAAAAAS 💅💅💅

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

AHHHHHHH MAH GAWD!!!

YAAAS QUEEN YAAAAAS 💅💅💅

Nice... er... what's the opposite of "meltdown"?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nice... er... what's the opposite of "meltdown"?

Freeze-up?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wait there's an FDL ship kit now?

I thought the FDL was good but it felt sorta weak with all medium hard points. Then I engineered up a beefy clipper and with fast regen shields and dirty drive tuning.. Well I've learned that speed is everything. Flies like an eagle and hits like a better vulture.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gotta say looking at the widget bits for the FDL I'm not feeling this kit much. Maybe the raider kit will be more inspiring when it arrives.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait there's an FDL ship kit now?

I thought the FDL was good but it felt sorta weak with all medium hard points. Then I engineered up a beefy clipper and with fast regen shields and dirty drive tuning.. Well I've learned that speed is everything. Flies like an eagle and hits like a better vulture.

Did you forget about the huge gun?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

No not a bit...

If you haven't seen the new Thargoid interaction yet.. It happens on a planet and is something.

https://youtu.be/zWc_ODpXtHY

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

AHHHHHHH MAH GAWD!!!

YAAAS QUEEN YAAAAAS 💅💅💅

:lol: wtf is this crap? https://steam.elitedangerous.com/en/product/1926

three pieces? really?!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What is that nose thing. A clown nose?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I think nose kit additions should actually have ramming attributes. Like the one for the anaconda that's a huge fuckoff ramming knife. Just utilize that poo poo already.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

What is that nose thing. A clown nose?

I like the little puppy ears it adds.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

FEDERAL CORVETTE SHIP KIT - 16 PIECES

:thunk:

all 4 bow pieces are pretty :effort: tho

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That describes pretty much all of the kits really.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

That describes pretty much all of the kits really.

i disagree and that's okay. i really like what the python kit offers and the corvette kit fixes one of my main gripes about the ship, the plain-Jane stern

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876
Whenever they add a Courier kit I'll probably buy it to put some fins or whatever on my ship (it's funny that my phone suggested "testicles" as the next word before I put in the 's' for ship... Google knows far too much about me).

Edit: I also flew out to Jotunheim or whatever to help out...I had a battle in Quince with a dude in an Eagle firing missiles at me and even with extra crap on my Courier (Rover and poo poo) I could still get around 745m/s boosting. I've got light shields but they held up when I realized what was going on...then I just out ran his seeker missiles then doubled back when my shields were at full strength and took his shields down with my beam and finished him with that and my dumbfires. Guy came back for revenge later and I'd equipped a point defense turret so I could knock down some of his seekers (I was hoping he'd come back for me) so it took a while for one to connect so he'd have a bounty and I wouldn't (he and I were looping around for a while) then I took him out again. He seemed to go unresponsive at the end of both fights and I'm wondering if my dumbfires took out his engines...I almost let him go the first time with 1% hull but I couldn't not tap the fire button to finish him after typing "good fight" or something. Those encounters made me want more so I figured I'd roll down to Jotunheim and do some quality violence for goons/Harry.

TLDR some dude reawoked my bloodlust and now I've gone to Jotunheim in my Asp and FedEx'd my iCourier over to pew pew for Big Harry and goons.

Vorlonesque fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 2, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Frontier pls sell 'Ship Nutz' on the online store.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Need a kit that makes the clipper look even more like a klingon attack vessel.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It still riles up my 'tism that the Cutter and the Clipper's names are swapped.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Flying around in space and exploring the galaxy makes this the best game of the gen for me. All the other features are extra sprinkles. I hope they don't gently caress it up by turning the Milky Way into a war zone and ruining what is currently a relaxing and chill experience. :ohdear:

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

To the DFs using the asp: Mind posting your builds? I'm fairly new and am curious on your hardpoint setups.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Baba Oh Really posted:

To the DFs using the asp: Mind posting your builds? I'm fairly new and am curious on your hardpoint setups.

[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty

If you want to fight, really don't fly an Asp. Unless it's engineered to hell and you're a crack Flight Assist off pilot, you'll only end up upset.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

NoneMoreNegative posted:

[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty
[X] Empty

If you want to fight, really don't fly an Asp. Unless it's engineered to hell and you're a crack Flight Assist off pilot, you'll only end up upset.

Pretty much this. Against AI you could do ok with the right build since NPCs aren't generally too scary...but you are disadvantaged across the board. The ASP is fast enough to get away...its like a chubby Millennium Falcon...its fast enough (mine will do 500+ m/s boosting with it's DD4 Thrusters) to get away from most ships and its sturdy enough that you can manage to high wake before you get too badly hurt.

You could probably load it out for taking down bigger ships with some serious Armor, module reinforcements, and a decent shield...and with an eye for heavy damage (maybe 4 missile racks and 2 plasma cannons or something)...but even then there are better ships for that.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Just get a vulture and engineer two milticannons for it. You'll never be happier.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just get a vulture and engineer two milticannons for it. You'll never be happier.

This but two PACs

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
If you're serious about arming your Asp, my recommendation is to go for maximum dakka and put multicannons everywhere. At this point we're beyond any concern for optimum and might as well go for the weapon loadout most likely to make you smile while it's firing.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Baba Oh Really posted:

My asp is armed so I can hopefully deal with pirates when I'm mining, I've got 2 gimballed multicannons in the mediums and 3 gimballed beams in the smalls.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
In what loving world does it make sense for permit missions, invite missions and hell even rank up missions to not always be available when you fulfill their requirements? I can imagine frontier's thought process being something like "Well they're missions you pick up as you randomly stumble upon them while going about your normal business" except no, these missions only spawn in pretty drat specific areas which means that all you can do is sit in the goddamn station and board hop until it magically appears.

THRILLING loving GAMEPLAY :frontear:

gently caress Marco Qwent.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

One of they key features of 2.3 was those reward missions always showing up. When the patch notes hit, they were just listed as "increased chance of appearing".

I haven't seen a rank up mission since the patch.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Highblood posted:

In what loving world does it make sense for permit missions, invite missions and hell even rank up missions to not always be available when you fulfill their requirements? I can imagine frontier's thought process being something like "Well they're missions you pick up as you randomly stumble upon them while going about your normal business" except no, these missions only spawn in pretty drat specific areas which means that all you can do is sit in the goddamn station and board hop until it magically appears.

THRILLING loving GAMEPLAY :frontear:

gently caress Marco Qwent.

Are you not immersed, commando?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Aren't there a couple of permit locked systems whose permit givers have been pushed out of everywhere but the permit-locked systems making them forever inaccessible?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
It's so perfect.

I'm so funny.

43.39LY jump range... it used to be better but for some reason I applied a worse roll so there.

e: can't wait to do hauler in front of things

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Baba Oh Really posted:

Mine has a beam laser + MC in the medium slots, plus seeker missiles in the light ones. Everything engineered lightweight. I mostly use it as an engineering workhorse and short range exploration. Works pretty well to quickly blow up small to medium ships once in a while.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Aren't there a couple of permit locked systems whose permit givers have been pushed out of everywhere but the permit-locked systems making them forever inaccessible?

Funny if true. I don't know of any of hand.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I want Star Trek sized space stations

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I'm thinking of getting this game, will it scratch the itch for a modern Tie Fighter/Freelancer game. I found X3 to be a little too technical. How is for a casual gamer not a simulation nerd?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

jeff8472 posted:

I'm thinking of getting this game, will it scratch the itch for a modern Tie Fighter/Freelancer game. I found X3 to be a little too technical. How is for a casual gamer not a simulation nerd?

It's neither. It's not as technical as X3 by a wide margin, but it's definitely not Freelancer. If you enjoy obsesssing over ships, can stomach poor game design in favour of satisfying simulation design (particularly good visuals) and like the idea of a massive massive galaxy to play in, then yeah. It might be worth a try.

Things to keep in mind: It's a work-in-progress type game and stuff is constantly added, what you buy now may not reflect what you get later (for better or worse). It's also a game with a goon online presence, which does help towards alleviating the bad parts of the gameplay design.

On the balance, I feel I didn't waste my money on this game and it's great for coming back to. Heck, one day it might even be fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

jeff8472 posted:

If what you want is strictly just shooting, maybe try House of the Dying Sun.

• Locked thread