Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

JBP posted:

That thing is one stupid looking contraption.

The pic they posted, once again, makes it look dumb, but if you watch the video there are other angles that make it look better.

I love how they gave it a pintle mounted punisher cannon, a hull mounted lascannon, a turret Las cannon, and then threw on a coaxial stubber for good measure. The tank looks like it was designed off of early US WWII tanks (put 50s and 30s everywhere) mixed with a hover Bradley.

I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Link to the video?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

RagnarokAngel posted:

Link to the video?

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/386449961749988/

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo it totally looks like the Bradley IFV.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Artum posted:

Holy poo poo it totally looks like the Bradley IFV.

You beat me to it. Not just the look, but the horrible "Why not just add on of these" design aesthetic

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This looks badass. I want 3 of them.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Warhammer Community says it might be archeotech, which is cool, and makes some sense for the bigmarines, who were made when hovertanks were still around

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bandaid.friend posted:

Warhammer Community says it might be archeotech, which is cool, and makes some sense for the bigmarines, who were made when hovertanks were still around

They also un-subtly say that its not that its Cawl breaking the rules and inventing new poo poo as with all of the primaris gear.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I don't know if it's good or bad. It's certainly something different!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Artum posted:

They also un-subtly say that its not that its Cawl breaking the rules and inventing new poo poo as with all of the primaris gear.

i had my fingers in my ears and didn't hear that, or i'd be unreasonably upset at fake toy space soldiers

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It could do without all the random missile pods and probably the pintle mounted gun because as is it mostly looks like a mess.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bandaid.friend posted:

i had my fingers in my ears and didn't hear that, or i'd be unreasonably upset at fake toy space soldiers

Its what the admech update this year is meant to revolve around; massive tech heresy and people being displeased.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Its what the admech update this year is meant to revolve around; massive tech heresy and people being displeased.

AdMech update this year? I haven't heard anything about that. Like a range and codex update?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That hover tank sure is some ugly bullshit

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

AdMech update this year? I haven't heard anything about that. Like a range and codex update?

All I'd heard was the update schedule this year for 40k is marines (all the primaris stuff) chaos (all the deathguard stuff) and admech with that being the setup for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Corrode posted:

That hover tank sure is some ugly bullshit

Warhammer 40k: some ugly bullshit

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Land must be rolling in his grave at this rear end in a top hat haphazardly mashing together two of his greatest discoveries.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Artum posted:

It could do without all the random missile pods and probably the pintle mounted gun because as is it mostly looks like a mess.

Agreed. I like the basic design - I don't love it, like I did with the Bigmar Dread, but I don't hate it either. It just has too much random poo poo stuck to it, with the toolboxes and the missile racks and stuff. One of the things I really liked about the primaris mans is that they don't have all the weird dangly bits and decoration that marines have picked up over the years. That return to clean silhouettes and (relatively) minimalist lines is what makes them work, for me. This thing looks appropriately brutal, but it has way too much going on visually for me to really get behind it.

Still, if this is the Rhino-chassis-equivalent for bigmars, I'm good with it, it's a good base for the inevitable "sponsons and a huge gun" variant we'll get. The fact that it hovers will break it up from the existing marine stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That tank looks like someone mashed together a Land Raider and a few Land Speeders and called it a day. The top 2/3rds of the thing is alright, but all those busy skid plates are awful. Yuck.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally got to see the bigmars in person, they're pretty. The store is painting them up in gold and blue as Celestial Lions, which I think is a veiled nod to AOS, but it's a good look.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

berzerkmonkey posted:

That tank looks like someone mashed together a Land Raider and a few Land Speeders and called it a day. The top 2/3rds of the thing is alright, but all those busy skid plates are awful. Yuck.

They're one of the few sensible things about it because thats literally what the land speeder grav plates look like.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think the skids would look better painted black. But then they would also look better as a proper armoured skirt.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

This is gonna cost so much 😢

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Artum posted:

They're one of the few sensible things about it because thats literally what the land speeder grav plates look like.

I know, but it just doesn't look good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm worried I already know the answer to this, but would a footslogging army of Primaris marines be any good?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The Land Speeder and Land Raider being named such because their STC templates were (re)discovered by a dude named "Land" is quite possibly the dumbest, most ridiculous piece of fluff in the 40K universe. It would be like learning that the main Space Marine weapon STC was discovered by a dude named "Bolt."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

The Land Speeder and Land Raider being named such because their STC templates were (re)discovered by a dude named "Land" is quite possibly the dumbest, most ridiculous piece of fluff in the 40K universe. It would be like learning that the main Space Marine weapon STC was discovered by a dude named "Bolt."

It was, though

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Sebastian Thor invented the bastion

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ilor posted:

This, but the opposite.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I finally got around to finishing Stranger Things, and I must say I really enjoyed the story of an unsanctioned psyker accidentally opening a warp gate to Nurgle's Garden.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Arkhan Land is a sweet name.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I don't know what to think of this skimmer thing. It needs, like, two less guns on it

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

bandaid.friend posted:

Sebastian Thor invented the bastion

Not empty quoting

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

So are we just dropping the "grav technology isn't something the Imperium uses for tanks" thing officially, now

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

Counterpoint:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just as a heads up, the Warhammer TV twitch channel is playing a game of 8th.

Death Guard do have less power than the Primarus in the box set.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The Imperium being rear end backwards with technology was was of the more entertaining things I found. Losing that an any humanity marines will having now being a bunch of test tube warriors really dashes any interest I personally have for the Imperium.

For example one of those little things I liked was Salamanders got to check in an be with their old families post going marine. Now if they all go bigly who would they visit some dude in a mechanicus suit? No humanity.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I never said better I just don't think it would appreciably slow anything down. I didn't think moron would be such a touchy word for you but I am genuinely sorry if it upset you.

Cool, thanks. I wish it didn't take two pages of back and forth to get to the point where discussion happens instead of insults. It's ok to say negative things about 40k.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean look I do see your point. There's a few examples I think better illustrate that, like how flamer weapons say "this weapon automatically hits" or how eldar shuriken weapons say "on a 6+ this weapon wounds with ap -3 instead of 0" verbatim every single time instead of just using a "bladestorm" keyword. A decision was made either to use the descriptions instead of having to memorize keywords which is nice but at a glance might be cumbersome. It's kind of a lose lose situation.

The reason I don't think it honestly matters for the deep strike stuff is it'd probably only take a few games to notice a pattern that coming in from reserve always works the same, no matter what army you play. That is almost surely going to change when codexes hit though.

Weapon descriptions like I cited above though, you have armies all with different weapons and different rules you're probably going to have to refer to multiple times.

They seem to want it both ways, half assed USRs that are only universal to that unit (?!) and longform repetitions all over the place like your bladestorm example. It seems such a scattered and haphazard way of writing rules that does nothing to help people learn the game. I'm glad we finally got here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm worried I already know the answer to this, but would a footslogging army of Primaris marines be any good?

Nobody knows. It looks like infantry have a major boost this edition given how expensive vehicles are, and Primaris Marines have access to a lot of cool things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I think some abilities could have just had a couple words for a description and have been fine - Like if it said something like this:

Strike From the Shadows: This unit follows the rules for deepstrike (rulebook pg xx).

I can see how some rules might need its own description in the datasheet, but USRs like deepstrike, advance, invulnerable saves are covered in the book enough that they should be easy to memorize and the name of the ability can give them a bit of fluff at the same time.

• Locked thread