Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Incidentally, where does "the" Ukraine come from? Is it deliberately reductive language meant to portray Ukraine as a province of Russia or is it just archaic?

Both. It's what it was called during the soviet era.

http://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deified Data posted:

Incidentally, where does "the" Ukraine come from? Is it deliberately reductive language meant to portray Ukraine as a province of Russia or is it just archaic?

Wikipedia says that since the change from "the Ukraine" to "Ukraine" coincided with its independence in 1991, the "the" form is now associated with the Soviet era and using it implies a preference for that time.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I grew up learning my geography during the cold war, so i would just call it The Ukraine. I still sometimes think about Czechoslovakia too.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I could almost swear the risk board I had growing up said "The Ukraine" on it, but I can't find a picture online of it.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Deified Data posted:

"The" denotes a geographic region instead of a political entity, like "The Great Plains", "The Algarve", "The Levant". For most of its history the area of the Ukraine was under control of outside powers, so it became commonly known as a geographic region. Now that it is a political entity, it is controversial to use the "The" as that is demoting nation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cimber posted:

I grew up learning my geography during the cold war, so i would just call it The Ukraine. I still sometimes think about Czechoslovakia too.

:same: Also my geography teacher insisted on "Turkmenia" rather than Turkmenistan

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You guys

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/870456826512510976

It was because of the handshake

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Data Graham posted:

:same: Also my geography teacher insisted on "Turkmenia" rather than Turkmenistan

Turkmenia Trump.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You guys

It was because of the handshake

This sounds about right.

Calling it now, Trump will never be in the same room as Macron again for the next 8 years for fear of being made to look weak.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Motherfucker does not know what the Paris Accords are

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He's a child you say?!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who didn't think it was?

It's always the stupidest, pettiest reason with this piece of poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I know everyone here knows it but it's really impressive how much that snowflake poo poo is projection like everything else.

I said before that the POTUS position has transitioned the purpose of America to literally being Trump's personal hug box and this is just another example. Nothing matters except for our toddler president's feelings.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

nerox posted:

I could almost swear the risk board I had growing up said "The Ukraine" on it, but I can't find a picture online of it.

Why go for a picture when you could watch a video?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but probably should have called it the Pittsburgh Accords

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mike Pence just called the Climate Change "Only an issue for the Left"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...p-a7769081.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
E: quote is not edit

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Boy i love an ego that makes decisions to gently caress everyone over. It's super good and cool that we are at the whim of this petulant baby's fee-fees.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

God will save us!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This man is not fit to be president.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

It's true. If we all die they get to pretend that it was inevitable and nothing could have been done and if we somehow solve the issue then it clearly never would have happened and everyone else were chicken littles.

Pollyanna posted:

Uh he read a speech that one time and didn't poo poo himself on camera did you forget??

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

You don't say

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

This man controls our nukes :cripes:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Radish posted:

I know everyone here knows it but it's really impressive how much that snowflake poo poo is projection like everything else.

It's like how every time someone unironically uses "alpha male" in a conversation, you can guarantee that person is a simpering coward. :ms:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CommieGIR posted:

Fortunately the right live on another planet from the rest of us. Oh, wait. Not literally, only metaphorically.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I mean he's not wrong - one side cares about leaving a hospitable planet for our descendants to inherit and the other doesn't. Most of them already believe they'll be raptured away from this sinful earth soon anyway so why bother being good stewards of it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Everyone who thinks greenhouse gases are fake should be sent to live on Venus.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

If using up some resources is the means to some other end (like say entertainment), the motivation there is obvious and understandable.

There's no clear motivation for someone to have a goal to use up resources purely for the sake of wasting resources, that's deeply irrational.

What if they are entertained while rolling coal?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am so infuriated right now. Like -- I probably should just get off the Internet for the weekend because this is maddening.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So dumb question but where did the anti-recycling/gently caress the environment mindset originate from? what year or group did it start in?

I assume it's grounded a bit in a religious mindset because they think God will pick up the trash they throw out the car window on the highway and a bit in the America is a perfect land of endless bounty mindset and if it was possible for america to run out of resources it wouldn't be perfect therefore recycling is blasphemy.

Just seems a bit funny for conservatives to get furiously anger at the idea of conservation.

A couple pages back, but 538 just did an article on that. Basically, the inflection point of politicizing environmentalism was 1990. In the 80s, conservatives began conflating the greens and the reds ("watermelon"). Then, as the threat of the Soviet Union evaporated, much like how conservative commentators needed to redirect the old specter of Communism into "terrorism" and then the musulman, they shifted the rhetorical foundation of anti-environmentalism to the associated market regulations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Reminder that 20 years ago Mike Pence was arguing that cigarettes weren't really that bad for you.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DaveWoo posted:

Reminder that 20 years ago Mike Pence was arguing that cigarettes weren't really that bad for you.

Thank You for Burning

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Aww, maybe daddy will buy her a diamond encrusted pony when she cries.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Deified Data posted:

I mean he's not wrong - one side cares about leaving a hospitable planet for our descendants to inherit and the other doesn't. Most of them already believe they'll be raptured away from this sinful earth soon anyway so why bother being good stewards of it?

I'm sure God will be happy that they used his beautiful creation with all the respect of toilet paper.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So where does everyone go from here. Trump has made it clear that he believes (correctly or not) that he is above any sort of retribution either politically or through the justice system. He's also made it clear he is a literal child and will make stupid, unpopular, pointlessly destructive decisions entirely out of spite (ACHA, Paris, etc). So does everyone else have to tip toe around him and put on literal theater like Saudi Arabia to make him feel good and not poo poo over everything or do we just go all in and make him own every one of his disastrous tantrums? I really have no loving idea what every other politician in this country and the world should do since our trash system allowed this to happen.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

BarbarianElephant posted:

Butt Stallion?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CommieGIR posted:

I hope a bird dies mid flight and slams into his face on the way down.

"Only hippies care about the enviornment, heh heh heh!" bird

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I was on the road during the live chat of the speech but did everyone pick up how many times he said european leaders needed to stop laughing at him during the speech?

"We don't want other leaders and other countries laughing at us anymore, and they won't be. They won't be."

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

CommieGIR posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarianElephant posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/845041851459502080

• Locked thread