Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

ErKeL posted:

All I ever did with leverage was bounce stuff awkwardly off walls back at myself, causing my own injury and alerting the phantom I was ambushing.

I managed to bounce something against the Cook just by bumping into it, he turned hostile. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Wafflecopper posted:

One thing I didn't get: all neuromods are made with the same amount of exotic (ie Typhon) material right? So why is it only the psychic abilities that give you Typhon DNA and make turrets/the nightmare try to kill you?
My guess is that the bullet time power just enhances your natural human abilities whereas the Typhon powers allow you to do truly inhuman things. There must thus be something different about them, requiring a more substantial transformation of your physiology.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Making quick decisions is one thing, defying conservation of mass to become a coffee cup is quite another.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Bogart posted:

Making quick decisions is one thing, defying conservation of mass to become a coffee cup is quite another.

You don't know it's defying conservation of mass - you could be a really really heavy coffee cup.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How does this game compare to something like Dishonored? It seems to share a lot of the same systems, but I haven't seen enough of what the actual gameplay is like other than "transform into coffee cups" to know if it stays as interesting as Dishonored does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's basically Dishonored if it were a shooter instead of a stealth game, with an open world instead of being level based. And even then, it's still segmented into distinct areas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CJacobs posted:

It's basically Dishonored if it were a shooter instead of a stealth game, with an open world instead of being level based. And even then, it's still segmented into distinct areas.

Huh, I heard the actual shooting stuff is kind of crappy though? So what would you say is the "hook" that keeps it interesting all the way through?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The shooting isn't crappy. And the hook is that it's very immersive, just oozing with atmosphere and stuff to see and do. Finding out more about the world, and seeing the sheer amount of complexity and thought the developers put into it is what keeps it interesting.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, I heard the actual shooting stuff is kind of crappy though? So what would you say is the "hook" that keeps it interesting all the way through?

Arkane does world-building and atmosphere via setting with a lot of depth, and the 'emergent gameplay' they bake into their games makes you think around corners. It's a fun combination (that is, a compelling environment with the tools to explore it) that no one else does quite so well.

Prey is a little slow off the chocks (but not nearly as slow as eg witcher 3), but once you get into it, it's the kind of game you think about playing when you aren't.

edit: I'm going to add something else: the game is a lot richer on a second playthrough. There's a ton of stuff that seems irrelevant - flavor text, mostly, like book excerpts and conversations, but also larger elements like the stories and themes of side quests - that all tie in to the game's main conceit but aren't quite blatant enough to be called clues. There is some really great and subtle writing and design here.

I guess it seems like I'm overhyping the game, and maybe I am, a little (it isn't without its flaws) but it's kept my attention for almost three full playthroughs now, and I'm still finding things I missed the first two times and reactions from the game I hadn't seen. An ironic thing about how well Prey's designed is that it allows so well for your initial approach - whatever it is - that your way can seem like the only way. But then if you go back and try something you hadn't thought of, something creative with one (or none) of the powers and tools you're given, you'll find that second or third or fourth way is just as viable, if not more. All that's on top of a pretty great story for a vidya game that brings and some unique additions to the genre (while still paying homage to its influences, kinda how literature does or movies do). In short, it's a certain kind of game a certain kind of nerdlinger gets nostalgic for, and a lot of us are in this thread.

If you've played and enjoyed Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Half-Life, Dishonored, Metroid, Alien: Isolation, Bioshock, the new Doom, or Portal, and if you've watched and enjoyed The Matrix, 2001, Alien, Moon, or Starship Troopers, you'll probably dig Prey.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 2, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah the aesthetics in Prey are absolutely superb - I may be biased because I love mid-century modernist design (with a tinge of deco) but most of the game, from the labs to the offices, look fantastic. The game also gives you plenty of choices as the main and side stories progress that allow you to change various outcomes.

The gun play is pretty average but you have a number of options when it comes to dealing with or avoiding most enemies. A lot do fall for the sneak up on, gloo gun into place, shotgun blast to face tactic but you don't have to play that way if you don't want to. The game can also play out fairly differently if you chose to use or avoid the special Typhon mods.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

PantsBandit posted:

How does this game compare to something like Dishonored? It seems to share a lot of the same systems, but I haven't seen enough of what the actual gameplay is like other than "transform into coffee cups" to know if it stays as interesting as Dishonored does.

Have you played a Deus Ex game?

It's that but with fewer NPCs.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, this game is basically deus ex with aliens on a space station, including conspiracies, megacorporations, benovelent (OR NOT????) AI's, and augmentations. It starts out more system-shocky with a horror/survival vibe, but once you get up and running the horror-elements subside and it's more about finding out what the gently caress went down on this space station and solving problems.

If you put some skillpoints into movement/shooting skills you are basically as capable a combatant as any FPS protagonist, and quite durable as well. I enjoyed the shooting in this game, but the enemies are a bit lacklustre imo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Really (really really) enjoyed Prey and am looking forward to Prey 2 in a few years, but the whole thing is making me eager for that System Shock 1 remake.

Needs more Shodan :black101:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think the problem with guns is that they start off weak and have small range + the ammo is scarce so the first impression people get of the combat is that enemies take too long to kill and you blew all your ammo on them. Of course the idea behind that is to have the player try other things outside of combat to show that this isn't a game where you run and gun but this doesn't change the fact that after a few upgrades and a few right skills and getting more manouverable - guns becomes pretty good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternatively, sprint slide into all enemies and blast them into the sky with your shotgun and then shoot them again before they land and splatter their black gunk all over the room.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, I heard the actual shooting stuff is kind of crappy though?

The actual shooting is crappy in Prey in the same way that the actual stealth is crappy in Dishonored; it's serviceable but the real meat of the game is the systems and powers and exploration built around it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Easy way to get the double-jump early in the game
Go stand on the orbiting billboard outside the station. Stay on it until a green dot for the guy's body appears.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah the aesthetics in Prey are absolutely superb - I may be biased because I love mid-century modernist design (with a tinge of deco) but most of the game, from the labs to the offices, look fantastic. The game also gives you plenty of choices as the main and side stories progress that allow you to change various outcomes.
While people have been complaining it ruins THE HORROR ASPECT of the game, I find it quite refreshing that the station isn't pitch-black like every other horror game out there.

Being well-lit means it's easier to spot mimics creeping around out the corner of your eye for those oh-bugger moments, and when you do end up exploring dark environments, it's a little more tense than the usual drumming your fingers and waiting for the jumpscare type of vibe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Played through the first hour or two at a very excited friend's house, watched them play a bit, too. Probably going to get it myself. Is there any way to toggle the golden glow on objects on or off? I see objects (anything you can read or put in your inventory) glowing in a youtube LP I'm watching but on my friend's machine there was no such feature. No highlight, nor apparently any option for it in the menu (admittedly I may have overlooked it).

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Go stand on the orbiting billboard outside the station. Stay on it until a green dot for the guy's body appears.

Just finished the game. Double what? You're joking me right?

Admittedly I got through like 90% of the game before finding the Q-Beam so I had like 2k ammo for it at the end.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

CJacobs posted:

Okay, but it costs more than a small landmass to buy one so you're never going to have one, sorry. - TranStar

:negative:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So at the end of an average game, what do y'all think, how many Russian prisoner lives (or the equivalent to it) has Morgan shot into their eyes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The games shooting is serviceable but its not designed around shooting the way a game Doom is, esp in terms of environments, and it ultimately fails to deliver on a lot of the cool opportunities it promises. It could have done great things making you feel hunted and it never really gets it right.

But its not terrible, and it supports the stuff outside combat well enough to build the immersion and power fantasy aspects up to enjoyable levels.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

LemonDrizzle posted:

You don't know it's defying conservation of mass - you could be a really really heavy coffee cup.

yeah but really if you weren't defying conservation of mass you'd probably cause an explosion or something if you compressed that much mass that rapidly.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HenryEx posted:

So at the end of an average game, what do y'all think, how many Russian prisoner lives (or the equivalent to it) has Morgan shot into their eyes

How much exotic material does a mimic give (including necropsy)? Russian prisoners produce roughly three mimics worth of exotic material, as the fourth mimic is preserved to continue reproduction.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ErKeL posted:

Just finished the game. Double what? You're joking me right?

Admittedly I got through like 90% of the game before finding the Q-Beam so I had like 2k ammo for it at the end.

lol i also missed both these things on a first run.

There was a review, I can't remember which magazine, that said it was interesting how little detours led to some game-changing tools or powers - but that you can still complete the game just fine without any of them. It's one of those design decisions that seems really simple but hides an underlying complexity that has to be a goddamn nightmare to get right.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

limited posted:

While people have been complaining it ruins THE HORROR ASPECT of the game, I find it quite refreshing that the station isn't pitch-black like every other horror game out there.

Being well-lit means it's easier to spot mimics creeping around out the corner of your eye for those oh-bugger moments, and when you do end up exploring dark environments, it's a little more tense than the usual drumming your fingers and waiting for the jumpscare type of vibe.

Yeah, the point of darkness is to surprise the player. Mimics don't need dark environments to surprise the player.

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2017

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I know it's boring but at this point when I enter a new room with enemies in it I immediately look for the pipes that I can shoot and have the dudes just patrol until they walk through the fire or gas and kill them selves. Saves so much ammo. One pistol shot and one gloo glob is all you need.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I know it's boring but at this point when I enter a new room with enemies in it I immediately look for the pipes that I can shoot and have the dudes just patrol until they walk through the fire or gas and kill them selves. Saves so much ammo. One pistol shot and one gloo glob is all you need.

The little examples of lateral thinking being rewarded is why I loving love these games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

3Romeo posted:

There was a review, I can't remember which magazine, that said it was interesting how little detours led to some game-changing tools or powers - but that you can still complete the game just fine without any of them. It's one of those design decisions that seems really simple but hides an underlying complexity that has to be a goddamn nightmare to get right.

It's also one of those difficult to appreciate virtues, where if it's done right you don't see the work at all.

All the more admirable to do it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

In the negative reviews of Prey, they totally miss that. It's a main reason I love Arkane.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also one of those difficult to appreciate virtues, where if it's done right you don't see the work at all.

All the more admirable to do it.

It requires a little extra commitment/attention from the player too. I've seen people give up on the game early because they approached it as a run of the mill linear shooter, and were consequently disappointed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The little examples of lateral thinking being rewarded is why I loving love these games.

This.

Arkane are so good with that.
I'm currently playing through Arx Fatalis and even back then they were loving amazing at that.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that the same one you see from the telescope when you first enter hardware labs?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One feather in Prey's cap is how many different posts in this thread were "I just got X and now I'm not scared any more."

For me it was Psychoshock, but I know Security, Leverage 3, Combat Focus have all been different breaking points in the game, and I'd like to think that the gradual shift from feeling like Prey to feeling like a Predator could be a nod towards the unaffiliated title. I also think better nightmare AI for each typhon mod installed and a second neuromodded NPC antagonist could have contributed to that as well.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
There's a double jump? Absolutely had no idea....

I think the moment I felt comfortably safe in the game was when I installed the psi water treatment upgrade.

Essentially free psi almost everywhere on the station felt really nice.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

3Romeo posted:

You can get along just fine without either of the things I missed but it seriously made me mad with the Q-Beam just because of how much ammo I accumulated for it haha.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

There's a double jump? Absolutely had no idea....

I think the moment I felt comfortably safe in the game was when I installed the psi water treatment upgrade.

Essentially free psi almost everywhere on the station felt really nice.

I skipped this because I thought it would make typhons drink from taps and make them stronger.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
What the heck are reployers used for? Is there a lore reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

scaterry posted:

What the heck are reployers used for? Is there a lore reason?

The lore is, as far as I could find via excessive and obsessive email-reading, "they are expensive and chique. What do they do? Hell if I know."