Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The RDJ Jude Law duo is better than the Cumberbatch Freeman duo. I know everyone loves Freeman's version of Watson, but it's not Watson, it's every Martin Freeman character from The Office onwards. Freeman Watson is exactly the same as Arthur Dent and Bilbo Baggins.
And while freeman can banter quite well with his Sherlock, it still falls into the big sherlock Holmes trap of making Watson clueless to make Holmes look smarter. Jude Law's Watson is really the only version of the character who is an equal to Holmes and refuses to put up with his poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's only tangentially related at best to Sherlocktalk, but god, I'd kill for an Arsene Lupin movie/series/cinematic universe/whatever. I've always loved those short stories since I first was introduced to them and I'd absolutely eat up a mystery/heist/thriller piece based on them. You can even spin Holmes into it, or use a standalone Sherlock film to set it up with a stinger at the end or something.

I can't think of a dandy thief movie in recent memory to save my life. Or not in recent memory. Or even a similar sort of character in other movies come to think of it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's only tangentially related at best to Sherlocktalk, but god, I'd kill for an Arsene Lupin movie/series/cinematic universe/whatever. I've always loved those short stories since I first was introduced to them and I'd absolutely eat up a mystery/heist/thriller piece based on them. You can even spin Holmes into it, or use a standalone Sherlock film to set it up with a stinger at the end or something.

I can't think of a dandy thief movie in recent memory to save my life. Or not in recent memory. Or even a similar sort of character in other movies come to think of it.

It's high time for a The Pink Panther reboot anyway.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You say Arsene Lupin and I am instead instantly going "yes we need more anything of Lupin the Third"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That was my first thought as well, though a live action Lupin the Third would be great

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Testekill posted:

You say Arsene Lupin and I am instead instantly going "yes we need more anything of Lupin the Third"

It hasn't been English dubbed yet but there is a Part 4 that first aired in Italy in August of 2015. Judging by a cursory Wikipedia search it's a sort of blending of the different incarnations of Lupin. The English dub is gonna start airing on Toonami in 2 weeks.

This conversation reminded me I need to watch the Lupin/Detective Conan crossover.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The RDJ Jude Law duo is better than the Cumberbatch Freeman duo. I know everyone loves Freeman's version of Watson, but it's not Watson, it's every Martin Freeman character from The Office onwards. Freeman Watson is exactly the same as Arthur Dent and Bilbo Baggins.
And while freeman can banter quite well with his Sherlock, it still falls into the big sherlock Holmes trap of making Watson clueless to make Holmes look smarter. Jude Law's Watson is really the only version of the character who is an equal to Holmes and refuses to put up with his poo poo

That's why I like the Watson in ELEMENTARY. She's smart and capable and endures Holmes to a point. But what I really like is that it treats Holmes' smartness as a result of really hard work rather than a gift that everyone should be in awe of. So he takes Watson on to be his apprentice, not so she can stay his sidekick but so she can be his equal.

I like the original stories a lot, but there is way too much blubbering Watson while Holmes calmly lays poo poo out for him, and I always prefer the adaptations that change that up a bit.

On that note, how could Hbomberguy not mention WITHOUT A CLUE?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
HBomberguy's video reminded me that Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was a thing, which then reminded me of it's awful theme song.

And if I have to suffer then so should the rest of you.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alacron posted:

HBomberguy's video reminded me that Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was a thing, which then reminded me of it's awful theme song.

I haven't seen this show in close to 18 years, and yet I instantly heard the theme song in my head before even clicking on that link.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm thinking of ridiculous stuff like spitfires in outer space fighting Dalek warships or facing down a giant satan head made of dodgy CGI. I like Who better hwen it's focused and small scale. As far as your mentions of painting and props, I haven't seen the newest series yet. Is it really that dire?

I think it has diminished, nothing that will just make you laugh out loud but if you look at the first few series and the latest few then you'll see a real difference. I think some of my brothers complaints are part professional pride in that he wants to paint to the highest quality possible or wants to make the props look like they could be in a film or something and part frustration that some of the higher ups think that they can create anything out of cardboard and string. He says that some of the stuff he has to work with should be replaced so completing jobs takes longer and that puts other people behind schedule and everyone starts complaining.

For the record I agree with you about stuff like 70s Who, I really like that era, the writing was very often good and helped me get passed the flaws of any tragic effects/props/over acting.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There was a 2004 movie, about which I know nothing beyond it existing. I remember seeing posters of it on vacation in Paris and thinking it looked like another generic action movie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

we can bring sherlock holmes back to life
back to life
back to life

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite Sherlock Holmes movie is The Great Mouse Detective

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alacron posted:

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, aka: I'm just gonna turn the TV off and work on homework for the next half hour till Digimon comes on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was my first thought as well, though a live action Lupin the Third would be great

The finger already closed on that Monkey Paw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlyFaDXg0s8
Don't watch it, it's awful.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The finger already closed on that Monkey Paw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlyFaDXg0s8
Don't watch it, it's awful.

Lupin the Third has one of the most iconic themes in Anime history, they couldn't even be arsed to recreate the theme.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So for anyone wondering what SF Debris has been up to, he's started reviewing Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent and seems to be planning on doing it in multiple episode chunks rather than one episode at a time.

Also his recent glut of Beast Wars reviews finally gets to the episode he's been building up to, Code of Hero. The intro is cheesy as gently caress but I kinda like it. That episode hit me pretty hard as a kid. :smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
He learned his lesson about doing per-episode anime reviews from Full Moon and the Lesbian Titty Mecha anime.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Lesbian Titty Mecha anime.

So uh... we got a name for this? Asking for a friend, of course.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Kannazuki no Miko, aka Destiny of the Shrine Maiden.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
No, you fool!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

:same:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My friend thanks you.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

CelticPredator posted:

:yeah:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Saberspark goes through the history of Cartoon Network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qcqdjC6U6U

Young Ted Turner could get it. drat.

Has Cartoon Network always run 24/7 in the US? I remember getting up in the middle of the night to watch Cartoon Network only to find out that it turned into The Playboy channel. I can still vividly remember the big bossomed lady who was tickling her puss with a comically large feather. I think they figured out that this was very inappropriate because they started to run TNT instead.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sarcopenia posted:

Has Cartoon Network always run 24/7 in the US?

No. Especially when it first aired it wasn't a full-time network.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

In Portugal thru Netcabo it got into WCW and then Turner Classic Movies. At some point it got weirder and it went from Spanish Cartoon Network (which had a more limited toon and only dubbed the op) which then changed to American Cartoon Network. Nowadays its Portuguese Cartoon Network which doesn't have a very good dub cast.

Watched more Canal Panda, which was sort of a dumping ground for every public channel to dump leftover cartoons that weren't WB or Disney, which was kind of a neat mixing bag of weird gems (I'm amazed that Kinkyuu Hasshin Saver Kids isn't more well known , as it's Monkey Punch trying to do a mecha anime), and honestly bad shows (Did you know that the mascot of Expo 2000 got its own cartoon, which watched like a straight version of this? Do you want to watch "American Doraemon but with more bootstraps and screaming at little kids for wishing"?). At least it was a blessing on the period where Cartoon Network had 6 hours of Mike Lou and Ogg.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 2, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Contrapoints' free speech video just got DCMA'd, which is hilarious because of how well it proves the point he makes in the video. The video is entirely original content.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

business hammocks posted:

Contrapoints' free speech video just got DCMA'd, which is hilarious because of how well it proves the point he makes in the video. The video is entirely original content.

The gently caress? By who?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

The gently caress? By who?

Dozens of twitter pepes, one assumes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

business hammocks posted:

Dozens of twitter pepes, one assumes.

Not to be that guy. It it's not DMCA, it just got false flagged until YouTube took it down.

Like...gently caress that site.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
yeah I checked there's no copyright notice on the video, it's just fuckin gone

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Removed for violating youtube policies on spam, deceptive practices, and scams. That's one I've never seen before. You'd think sargon or whoever could get hit with that one legitimately.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

And Youtube wonders why advertisers don't trust them to police actually offensive content.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How does Youtube seem to get worse by the day. It's incredible.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Alacron posted:

Oh, it's never left my head. I'm like a goddamn seashell except instead of hearing the sea, if you put your ear to my head you hear "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Centuraaaaaaay..."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hey guys watch this video it's by thread superstar lindsay k bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It is telling that the title has to have a lil goof on the word "nazi", as to not have a Stooge's syndrome of Pepes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Or somehow get mysteriously wiped from youtube/hidden from searches/thrown into an oubliette/whatever for "offensive content" while actual nazis continue to run free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr E posted:

How does Youtube seem to get worse by the day. It's incredible.

It's an unprofitable service platform which google still to this day hasn't figured out how to properly monetize and failing internet ad revenue is pushing it to its limits.

• Locked thread