Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Fair and it may have been an oversight. I think the logic seems to be "does this apply to every unit, some units or a few units?" And if it applied to every unit (like advancing) or a a good number (like invul saves) then it was put in the core rules. If it didn't apply to many units it was put on the sheet, because I think a laudable goal in this edition was to cut down on the jargon heavy keywords. But deep strike ended up being on more stuff than it seemed. That's just my theory, I do agree that could have been a more elegant way of handling it.

I also maintain I don't think it's really a big deal once you realize they're identical and therefore don't actually need to memorize 32 different rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

Just as a heads up, the Warhammer TV twitch channel is playing a game of 8th.

Death Guard do have less power than the Primarus in the box set.

The drone does some impressive work.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think it's likely a flexibility thing. For now they all do exactly the same thing. Once codex books start coming out you will probably see more variation creeping in. By doing it this way they aren't locked into Deepstrike Exception #19. It's simply "Tyranids have Floppy Hook Dongs which do X."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm worried I already know the answer to this, but would a footslogging army of Primaris marines be any good?

A: They are the "hero" faction, rest assured they will do EVERYTHING just fine.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I also like it as it means they have to write rules that interact with deep striking cleaner. There won't be any more issues with wondering if Coteaz's ability works on models teleporting using the deep strike rules but not from reserves or whatever.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Geoff Zahn posted:

I think some abilities could have just had a couple words for a description and have been fine - Like if it said something like this:

Strike From the Shadows: This unit follows the rules for deepstrike (rulebook pg xx).

I can see how some rules might need its own description in the datasheet, but USRs like deepstrike, advance, invulnerable saves are covered in the book enough that they should be easy to memorize and the name of the ability can give them a bit of fluff at the same time.

gently caress that. One of 7th's biggest problems is having to spend 20 minutes+ of every game digging through the rulebook and its 30-page glossary of USRs that tell you which dice you get to re-roll

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Indolent Bastard posted:

A: They are the "hero" faction, rest assured they will do EVERYTHING just fine.

Regular Space Marines are the "hero" faction right now, and if they try footslogging, they get their lunch ate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Syncopated posted:

This, but the opposite.

It's why I've always hoped that they would have a short story about the Magos double agent that pretended to defect to the Dark mechanicum in order to retrieve a vital transport STC and in turn had it named in honor of him;

Repulsive Heretic In Name Only

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress that. One of 7th's biggest problems is having to spend 20 minutes+ of every game digging through the rulebook and its 30-page glossary of USRs that tell you which dice you get to re-roll

This. I don't want fluffy names that make me then go look up the actual rule somewhere else.

I'd be okay with a small handful of them, like the two tops for each army right now like that, but it's really easy for it to get out of hand so I'm Ok with having the rules printed with the rest of the model stats.

Also there are guns that let you shoot deep strike or summoned daemons or teleports. They say if an enemy sets up, but not during deployment. Now they don't have to reference any other rule and it covers anything they can think of that causes models to come from no where.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What's with that base? Are all 40k vehicles like that?

edit: how did i end up in the 40k thread?! this has done irreparable damage to my poasting brand!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

What's with that base? Are all 40k vehicles like that?

Hover vehicles have bases. Surprised they went with a round instead of the 120mm oval, though.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

Counterpoint:

That illustration was the best part of that book!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Hover vehicles have bases. Surprised they went with a round instead of the 120mm oval, though.

Yeah, I'm used to seeing the oval bases on big warham stuff. This just looks weird and seems like it'd cause formation issues.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, I'm used to seeing the oval bases on big warham stuff. This just looks weird and seems like it'd cause formation issues.

nah for vehicles you measure from the hull on most stuff

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

General Olloth posted:

This. I don't want fluffy names that make me then go look up the actual rule somewhere else.

I'd be okay with a small handful of them, like the two tops for each army right now like that, but it's really easy for it to get out of hand so I'm Ok with having the rules printed with the rest of the model stats.

Also there are guns that let you shoot deep strike or summoned daemons or teleports. They say if an enemy sets up, but not during deployment. Now they don't have to reference any other rule and it covers anything they can think of that causes models to come from no where.

Plus I believe some of the new Deep Strike rules have values other than 9". I believe the Monolith says 12"? Having it printed on the units data sheet lets them get a bit granular on the rule based on the overall power level of the unit.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Ahem. We don't use the term "formation" in this thread anymore. Even in reference to model positioning. Too likely to give a random goon a conniption fit or trigger flashbacks. Respect the rights of the elderly veterans.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Safety Factor posted:

Counterpoint:

Great. Cool illo. But how 'bout we just name him something not-retarded?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus I believe some of the new Deep Strike rules have values other than 9". I believe the Monolith says 12"? Having it printed on the units data sheet lets them get a bit granular on the rule based on the overall power level of the unit.

Correct. And the Deathmarks can do 9, or 9 but within 12 for counter deep striking.

(Also, they no longer are prevented from firing on their next turn, which might make them not suck.)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just looked at the Monolith profile and you are right, it is 12". I take back what I said then, I thought it was a universal 9".

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm waiting to see this weirdo tank in person before I hate it completely. I do hope it's not the bigmar razorback you need a few of for mechanized armies though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Finished this guy last night. Watchmaster Garrathus, of the Scythes of the Emperor chapter. One of the few surviving members of the Second Tyrranic War against Hive Fleet Kraken and a native of the chapter's now-destroyed homeworld of Sotha.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ayn Marx posted:

I'm waiting to see this weirdo tank in person before I hate it completely. I do hope it's not the bigmar razorback you need a few of for mechanized armies though.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the bigredator, not the bigazorback.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Finished this guy last night. Watchmaster Garrathus, of the Scythes of the Emperor chapter. One of the few surviving members of the Second Tyrranic War against Hive Fleet Kraken and a native of the chapter's now-destroyed homeworld of Sotha.

That's a dude who has Seen Some poo poo. Nice!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

We have yet to see the multipart kits for bigmars - I wonder if they go live with 8E as well? players who start a bigmar chapter will struggle to field a complete force without those

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
It suddenly occurred to me that Genestealer Cultists got a points increase but lost an attack. They can have 3 attacks if they use the Cultist Knife, but Rending Claws are now a separate weapon and don't grant generic attacks Rending anymore. Woof.

This will have to be mitigated by swinging around with a Primus, or having a Cult Icon. Glad I never chopped those up to make more Iconwards or emblems for vehicles. However, equipment like Cult Icons and such don't have point values, since they aren't units or weapons. Yay?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the bigredator, not the bigazorback.

That's a dude who has Seen Some poo poo. Nice!

thanks! I have basically 2 terminators, 1-2 bikes, 1 Razorback, 1 assault marine and maybe 6 "regular" Defwatch mans to go before I'm done with this army. Feels good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There's no rule about vehicles moving in a certain way, right? They could strafe or do whatever?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

thanks! I have basically 2 terminators, 1-2 bikes, 1 Razorback, 1 assault marine and maybe 6 "regular" Defwatch mans to go before I'm done with this army. Feels good.

Think you'll be running the disgustingly versatile new mixed kill teams?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Ayn Marx posted:

The article never uses the word "transport", but it clearly has access doors on the sides and rear, so I suspect it's their razorback. That said, the vindicator also has a rear door too, so that might not mean 100% that this is a transport, but it probably is. And considering the hilarious amount of guns strapped to the drat thing, I figure their embiggened predator will mount a loving baneblade turret with sponson thunderfires or something.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vehicles now move the same as any other model. No need to worry about facings, weapon arcs, etc.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's no rule about vehicles moving in a certain way, right? They could strafe or do whatever?

Except for Supersonic Flyers, that's correct. The only rule is that no part of their hull can end up further from the starting point than the vehicle's movement value

Artum posted:

Think you'll be running the disgustingly versatile new mixed kill teams?

Yeah, probably! I haven't really looked at the new Deathwatch rules yet--I've only played like 2 games with them to-date. They're more a hobby project than a serious army, but I'll probably run them in some weird kill teams.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Does some kind of facing still apply for which weapons can shoot, or can you fire a right sponson at a target to the tank's left? I'd assume there has to be a visibility rule.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Iirc they always could since you could rotate.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

Great. Cool illo. But how 'bout we just name him something not-retarded?
I'm sorry you can't enjoy the occasional tongue-in-cheek element of 40k? :confused:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Geoff Zahn posted:

Does some kind of facing still apply for which weapons can shoot, or can you fire a right sponson at a target to the tank's left? I'd assume there has to be a visibility rule.

It would appear not, fliers can apparently do work with their tail guns literally all the time now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Quick painting question, when I'm layering do I want to go darker to lighter or does the direction matter more? I want to try a marine pattern reminiscent of the dawn sky and was thinking of doing reddish orange at the feet and transitioning to a more yellow as I climb the the model.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

Iirc they always could since you could rotate.

The difference is that now you can do things like create walls and whatnot without having to worry about vehicles clipping each other as you turn them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm glad that tank is not some ancient forgotten archeotech and is instead Cawl's poo poo, because that means it will never show up in 30k.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Except for Supersonic Flyers, that's correct. The only rule is that no part of their hull can end up further from the starting point than the vehicle's movement value

Yeah, probably! I haven't really looked at the new Deathwatch rules yet--I've only played like 2 games with them to-date. They're more a hobby project than a serious army, but I'll probably run them in some weird kill teams.

They're so good they might actually need to be FAQd, if you bring a single bike terminator and vanguard the squad is immune to morale, can retreat from combat and still shoot, and still charge, and gets a teleport homer that they or another squad can emergency teleport to instead of moving. Thats on top of being good at ranged because their AP ammo doesnt get hot anymore and the entire squad can run bolters and chainswords so they can handle themselves in melee as well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Geoff Zahn posted:

Nope, they work like MCs now and can just shoot everything everywhere. Feels weird after all this time but I think it's a good change. Too many awkward weapon mounts, and it lets converted vehicles go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nope, they work like MCs now and can just shoot everything everywhere. Feels weird after all this time but I think it's a good change. Too many awkward weapon mounts, and it lets converted vehicles go hog wild.

The weapon arc they FAQ'd onto the Imperial Knights springs to mind very rapidly here. That sure was something special.

• Locked thread