Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

What advantages would TB have over USB3.1? Unless there's way less CPU overhead, I don't see any quick adoption.

More stringent cable certification, at the cost of, well, *cost*. USB 3.1 Type C has been a royal clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

What advantages would TB have over USB3.1? Unless there's way less CPU overhead, I don't see any quick adoption.

Bandwidth and daisy-chaining are the big ones. USB 3.1 is 10Gbps, while TB 3 is 40Gbps, so it's a much more useful protocol when you're talking about using it for monitors (USB 3.1 taps out at 4k@30Hz, for example, while TB3 can in theory push dual 4k@60Hz monitors) or other super-high bandwidth applications. You can daisy-chain up to 6 items off a single port, which again is nice when you're talking monitors or stacks of drives or whatever. As a fun "you'll probably never use it but it's cool" point, as a peer-to-peer protocol, you could theoretically plug two computers together via TB3 ports and get a direct 40Gbps link between them.

All that aside, the most obvious use for TB3 is monitors, since it has enough bandwidth to be useful, can carry power, and can daisy chain, potentially allowing people to clean up a lot of the wires mess that lives behind a lot of our systems.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 40GBit link interested me in the past, but given all the hoops you had to jump through back then just to get TB3, I ditched the idea. Meanwhile I have 10GbE SFP+ between my workstation and NAS instead.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I have FireWire audio gear that has sat around for a while now. I was really excited when this news hit the other day. High licensing costs killed that too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
wait, isnt usb 3.1 type c just a physical layer, and tb a protocol?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 40GBit link interested me in the past, but given all the hoops you had to jump through back then just to get TB3, I ditched the idea. Meanwhile I have 10GbE SFP+ between my workstation and NAS instead.

I was going to suggest Corning's thunderbolt fiber optic cable for long runs, but they're TB2 20Gbps. But you can get 200' cables for only $1000.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

I was going to suggest Corning's thunderbolt fiber optic cable for long runs, but they're TB2 20Gbps. But you can get 200' cables for only $1000.

How bad is the latency? Could you run one through a wall to a compatible TV with USB attached too? VR-level good?

A reliable long-distance single cable would be p. popular for VR, or even just clean PC-free living rooms actually. How about a bit of an armored jacket on it while we're imagining a $1000 cable?

wireless VR is Coming Soon™ but it's not there yet

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 2, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

How bad is the latency?
Dunno what the latency is for the 100'+ cables but in general TB is going to have much lower latency than USB3 no matter what. OK article on TB vs USB3 here.

Putting TB into the chipset was something Intel should've done years ago if they really wanted TB to take off IMO. As it is now USB3 has had time to mature and get cheaper and it can meet the needs of most people well enough. Even 10Gbe ethernet is starting to approach reasonable prices for the NIC's and NAS's, 10Gbe routers still need to come down lots though.

Maybe TB will take off now but I'm not optimistic about it, Firewireitis is tough thing to beat once your stuff is infected with it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Dunno what the latency is for the 100'+ cables but in general TB is going to have much lower latency than USB3 no matter what. OK article on TB vs USB3 here.

Putting TB into the chipset was something Intel should've done years ago if they really wanted TB to take off IMO. As it is now USB3 has had time to mature and get cheaper and it can meet the needs of most people well enough. Even 10Gbe ethernet is starting to approach reasonable prices for the NIC's and NAS's, 10Gbe routers still need to come down lots though.

Maybe TB will take off now but I'm not optimistic about it, Firewireitis is tough thing to beat once your stuff is infected with it.

QDR Infiniband is also approaching affordability (~$50/adapter) if you can afford the data cables. Direct DMA to another PC at 32 gbps should do the trick.

10GbE is a little more expensive per adapter but your per-foot costs are way down, and you can't do DMA.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 2, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Paul MaudDib posted:

How bad is the latency? Could you run one through a wall to a compatible TV with USB attached too? VR-level good?

A reliable long-distance single cable would be p. popular for VR, or even just clean PC-free living rooms actually. How about a bit of an armored jacket on it while we're imagining a $1000 cable?

just lol if you think I'm going to get a scrub-tier $1k cable to carry my VR. I'm going Monster for $2k

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Problem with the fiber optic cable is that both sides must be powered. Since it uses light to carry data and all. So a VR headset would still need a power cable or you're going to carry and 5-10 lbs battery pack on your back.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Problem with the fiber optic cable is that both sides must be powered. Since it uses light to carry data and all. So a VR headset would still need a power cable or you're going to carry and 5-10 lbs battery pack on your back.

Unless you know something I don't, that seems like a massive overstatement. VR headsets don't have a whole lot of upstream data flow--positioning updates, sure, but that's more a low-bandwidth/low-latency thing more than something that would keep an optical transceiver turned on all the time. And even if it did, I can't imagine it taking that much power; a lot of the SFF optical adapters are specced out at <750mW at 3.3V, meaning even a standard cellphone battery at 3000mAh would be able to power it for a gently caress-off long time. Obviously you've got whatever other electronics are involved in the headset, too, but the point is that throwing an optical connect on the headset isn't going to be a substantial power load.

Though you're right about needing some sort of battery pack (though 5lbs seems way too much--that's more than an entire laptop with an 8+hr battery life weighs), as I imagine the power draw of the screens have to be fairly substantial for a "mobile" device like that.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

QDR Infiniband is also approaching affordability (~$50/adapter) if you can afford the data cables.
The cable cost problem kills it though as you well know. Same issue with for the most part with TB when using the longer cables too really.

Paul MaudDib posted:

10GbE is a little more expensive per adapter but your per-foot costs are way down, and you can't do DMA.
Other than a external dGPU, which lets face it not many will probably ever use any time soon, what is the use case for the common user that would really benefit from that though? And is it really needed or worthwhile vs TB or a couple of teamed 10Gbe? My gut says no but I don't know for sure.

And yeah those 10Gbe per foot costs are way down and its not too hard to whip up your own custom cables for in wall running either. Did my whole house with Cat6A a while back. 1000' of in wall rated cable was around $300 and it was surprising easy to do for the most part since I didn't have to deal with many external walls. Biggest issue turned out to be running the drain but that was mostly due to the way the house was built and where I had to put the router. Keystones take longer to do than Cat6/5e but even screwing around, going slow, and watching youtubes I got around 20 drops done in a couple of hours and I'm no pro.

100' Infiniband cables tend to run ~$1K last I looked, and they still seem to going by a quick google (well $1200+ but I didn't look long so not the best price but stiiiill), I don't think it really makes sense to talk about it as an option at all for home or even many prosumer use cases. Server and data center stuff is a different story but Infiniband was pretty much designed for that sort of thing from the get go anyways so that is an of course.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

SlayVus posted:

So make it a combined fiber optic + power + charging cable?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ika posted:

Somewhere an engineer just woke up early in a cold sweat and doesn't know why.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Fiber is great for heaps of data but has relatively poor durability/flexibility compared to copper/metal cables= that poo poo is gonna break FAST in a VR rig where you move around a lot.

edit:\/\/\/\/\/\/ Is that rule good for static or dynamic stress loads or both? I pretty much never deal with FO so I don't much about it other than "don't loving bend it ever".

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 2, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Fiber is great for heaps of data but has relatively poor durability/flexibility compared to copper/metal cables= that poo poo is gonna break FAST in a VR rig where you move around a lot.

Rule of thumb: if the curvature exceeds that of a medium sized plate your fibers are gonna bust.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW the next Vive looks like it'll be wireless in early 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1A9t6J3GME

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Regarding TB3, just keep in mind that 40Gbps is only for cables <=50cm. I thought it was 20cm, but this site says 0.5m.

0.5m (1.65ft) TB 3 (40Gbps) USB-C Cable – Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Compatible
1m (3.3ft) TB 3 (20Gbps) USB-C Cable – Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Compatible
2m (6.6ft) TB 3 (20Gbps) USB-C Cable – Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Compatible

Maybe some of the proprietary trickery Apple uses can be used by other vendors, though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ika posted:

If you replace fiber optic with copper you've literally got what TB3 is intended for.

Admittedly, I don't think anyone's doing copper TB cables longer than 3m, so you still can't shove the PC into a closet on the other side of the house, but potentially you could do a PC -> optical -> power injector/converter box -> copper -> headset. The converters already exist (they're integrated into the active optical cables already), so it'd just be a case of making a small power-injector box to go along with it. Unsure what it would do to latency, though.

Boiled Water posted:

Rule of thumb: if the curvature exceeds that of a medium sized plate your fibers are gonna bust.

I thought one of the benefits of the latest few classes of TB optical cables was massively increased durability compared to traditional fiber? Some of Corning's stuff advertises "zero bend" cabling and basically says you can tie the stuff in knots without ill effect. I mean, I'd imagine it's never going to be as durable as anything copper (unless you throw a pretty hefty jacket around it), but it would seem the current stuff puts the most likely point of failure back on the connector bits rather than the bulk cable itself.

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyz2gkyIoXI

10C/20T 7900X @ 4,5 Ghz on using a questionable air cooler with a fan leaning against it
Cinebench R15: 2419 MT, 198 ST
85°C (assuming that seven segment LED display actually shows the temperature.)

A stock 7700K performs about the same in R15 single threaded.
i7-6950X @ 4.5 Ghz scored 2327 cb so we're looking at ~4% IPC improvement over Broadwell-E.

The guy over at anandtech with other reliable leaks also mentioned Turbo clocks:

quote:

Core i9-7900X: 4.3/4.3/4.1/4.1/4.1/4.1/4.0/4.0/4.0/4.0 (TB 2.0) / 4.5 (TB 3.0)

All core Turbo up by 600 MHz compared to Core i7-6950X, 1-2 core Turbo up by 800-1000 MHz.

Not bad for 10 cores. My impression is that overclocking any of these HEDT CPUs will definitely be limited by thermals and require delidding/watercooling

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Boiled Water posted:

bend radius for 50micron is like 5cm so not nearly as bad as it used to be. a fairly stiff pvc shield is probably sufficient for consumer use but I don't really see the point when copper could handle those short runs fine

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

Bend radius of most cables metal or fiber is based upon the radius of the cable core itself. For coaxial, the bend radius is 3.5 times the circumference of the cable.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Bend insensitive fiber is a thing

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

DrDork posted:

I thought one of the benefits of the latest few classes of TB optical cables was massively increased durability compared to traditional fiber? Some of Corning's stuff advertises "zero bend" cabling and basically says you can tie the stuff in knots without ill effect. I mean, I'd imagine it's never going to be as durable as anything copper (unless you throw a pretty hefty jacket around it), but it would seem the current stuff puts the most likely point of failure back on the connector bits rather than the bulk cable itself.

The Linus Tech Tips "optically cabled VR headset" video does indicate that optical cable can be quite durable.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Saukkis posted:

The Linus Tech Tips "optically cabled VR headset" video does indicate that optical cable can be quite durable.

Fiber is more durable than copper esp single mode that has been clad correctly

Its just marginally more expensive for cable and insanely expensive for the lasers at the ends

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

The fiber optic thunderbolt cables are ridiculously expensive in part because they have embedded media converters at each end of the cable

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sincx posted:

How did Toslink get so cheap/ubiquitous?

Crappy laser diode like in a DVD player, doesn't need to blink super fast or with very many colors, so you get the 3.1 mbit/sec toslink for the low low price of like 17 cents. The most modern, high spec example is only 150mbit/sec, which is well within the range allowable with a simple single color red laser diode. Basically trivial to do using stuff that's been around in commodity pricing for decades.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Crappy laser diode like in a DVD player, doesn't need to blink super fast or with very many colors, so you get the 3.1 mbit/sec toslink for the low low price of like 17 cents. The most modern, high spec example is only 150mbit/sec, which is well within the range allowable with a simple single color red laser diode. Basically trivial to do using stuff that's been around in commodity pricing for decades.

And plastic cable

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Malcolm XML posted:

And plastic cable

True, but even the fancy glass fiber ones are like $20 or so. The plastic ones are so cheap they're included on even the crappiest tier products.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Saukkis posted:

If you google the actual Corning cables used you'll see all sorts of reviews from people who said it died within a year, frequently within months. Sometimes even in a setting where the device was immobile but the cable was getting bent for prolonged periods of time. In a setting where stress is dynamic and its constantly getting bent, flexed, pulled, and stepped on I wouldn't want to have to spend $180 (18' cable) several times a year.

It does seem to have much more durability than other data FO cables from what I've heard of before but calling it "quite durable" is a mistake IMO.

edit: Guru3D has some interesting information on the launch socket 2066 i7's and i9's.

The thing that stands out to me is that even with water cooling they're saying the mobo venders tend to only get around 4.3Ghz on all cores when overclocking the 8C/16T and 10C/20T parts. The turbo speeds of 4.5Ghz is only for 2 cores aren't even being met, which is hardly bad performance at all of course. But I'd though they'd have done better than that since Sky Lake and Kaby Lake overclock much better than Haswell. Maybe they're heat limited by the cheap rear end IHS Intel is using? Watercooling can't really do a whole lot to fix that by itself.

Redoing the IHS with good thermal paste might become a requirement for those chips. Or maybe they just don't overclock very well no matter what you do.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 3, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now if hell would freeze over, Intel would chop 200$ off the 12C one, if the cheap 16C Threadripper pricing would prove true. Given that the X399 mainboards are supposedly expensive as gently caress, you'd probably get a performance equivalent system for the same price then. Assuming the TIM stuff doesn't gently caress that part over, because signs start to point that way.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 3, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

The TIM issue really bothers me because there are already many people complaining that their older CPUs (i.e. i7-4790K) are running much hotter than they used to. More often than not it's due to the TIM between Die and IHS drying out and losing thermal conductivity over time.

I've observed similar behaviour in Apple notebooks (rMBP, MBA) where CPUs stopped turboing or started throttling after 3-4 years of use. My 2013 15" rMBP throttled to 1.3 Ghz under load. "Repasting" completely solved the issue and made it run like brand new, pinned to 3.0-3.2 Ghz on all cores. Of course the average user would just go out and buy a new one because the old one feels slow.
New gen MBPs have the chips and heatsink attached to the other side of the PCB so one would have to remove the whole logic board to repaste the machine. Planned obsolescence if I've ever seen it.

I don't expect SL-X to overclock at all without removing the IHS, so that means I'd have to void the warranty and potentially kill the CPU right of the box.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

lolwat... If you want RAID-1/10 or RAID-5 on that VROC poo poo, you need to buy a dongle to unlock it?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Intel still doesn't realize that AMD is a threat and that no one wants their lovely softraid when every major OS has a much better softraid implementation nowadays.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Intel still doesn't realize that AMD is a threat and that no one wants their lovely softraid when every major OS has a much better softraid implementation nowadays.

Maybe that's the point: Intel is trying to strongly suggest that you make better choices with your data (and your life in general) and pursue better softRAID options than their own.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

And apparent RAID 1/10 is $99 and RAID 5 is $199 or $299.

Has Intel gone insane with greed?

It almost feels like intel finally lost the plot due to no competition and thought they could start building a walled garden of hardware and try to fence people in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Weren't people bitching that they were paying for the useless gpu on die and now Intel fuses it off and hands the tap over people bitch? (kbl-x is stupid but not because Intel didn't listen)

X299 is a clusterfuck long live threadripper I guess