Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

I'm going to say Ocean is a worse publisher. I own several Acclaim published games I like, can't think of a single Ocean game.

The Addams Family for SNES is a very underrated platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Waterworld is terrible, but has some great late period Ocean SNES music: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0H5YoFv09uQ

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Claytor posted:

The Addams Family for SNES is a very underrated platformer.

I'm a huge Addams fan and I grew up playing these games, but claiming it's "underrated" is ridiculous. Your rose tinted glasses need to come off - it's about as good as Bubsy.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Caitlin posted:

I'm a huge Addams fan and I grew up playing these games, but claiming it's "underrated" is ridiculous. Your rose tinted glasses need to come off - it's about as good as Bubsy.

I won't rule out the possibility that my taste is terrible.

But hey! It's not the version that was ported to the NES or Master System.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Addams Family Values on the SNES, however, now _that's_ an underrated game if any. I wouldn't go saying it's a masterpiece but it's definitely a good game but I haven't heard many people talk about it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have it and I thought it was terrible?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/todd160/status/870398057782755329

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

My goodness does that sound early 90s as gently caress.

It really does sound like something you'd find on one of those early 90s compilation albums with Enigma and poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Caitlin posted:

There's an issue in Retrogamer mag about it that sort of opened my eyes to why it's loved so much. Basically a bunch of Amiga era programmers worked on it, specifically citing how "difficult to control" Mario World was and it was a big hit in the UK.

In other words it's the first competent Amiga style platformer on a console. Cue Amiga Defense Force.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Talking about Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt on the SNES?

I was obsessed with that game and eventually got really good... but gently caress did it take forever. Amazing music too!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

al-azad posted:

specifically citing how "difficult to control" Mario World was

:psyduck:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

al-azad posted:

Basically a bunch of Amiga era programmers worked on it, specifically citing how "difficult to control" Mario World was
I remember (well, read in magazines several years later because I was too young at the time) that a bunch of people in the European computer game scene in the early 90s were always complaining about Mario's controls and physics, how it felt too slippery or some poo poo like that and how [insert lovely UK-made Amiga platformer] totally played better. Never understood that myself, but then again I was a dumbass Nintendo kid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Vintersorg posted:

Talking about Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt on the SNES?

I was obsessed with that game and eventually got really good... but gently caress did it take forever. Amazing music too!

No, Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt was the other Addams Family platformer on the SNES. The better one, too. I felt that controlling Pugsley in his game was more workable than controlling Gomez in The Addams Family, who has a bit of a problem slipping around and generally being kind of iffy to control given the speed he can reach (especially with the speed shoes powerup - jeez, just forget about not taking damage with those).

Both games were really tough, I thought, but Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt felt fairer to me. It was also a lot more creative with the levels, the graphics looked better (going with the cartoon style was a good move), the music was better (though The Addams Family had some good music too - well, both soundtracks were made by the same guy) - it just is an all around better game, I think.

Also, saying that Super Mario World was hard to control and then positing The Addams Family as a game that is easy to control is the kind of statement that just confuses me on a fundamental level.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

There's an issue in Retrogamer mag about it that sort of opened my eyes to why it's loved so much. Basically a bunch of Amiga era programmers worked on it, specifically citing how "difficult to control" Mario World was and it was a big hit in the UK.

In other words it's the first competent Amiga style platformer on a console. Cue Amiga Defense Force.

"Competent" and "Amiga style" are not words that go together.

Also they probably thought Mario World was difficult to control because it wasn't played on a shoddy joystick with only 1 action button.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh man, I loved that game. The story in the instruction manual always cracked me up. It's so perfect.

quote:

The year is 1985. You are Chef Larry, a local Chicago boy who perfected his family’s recipe for a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce. Today's your time to shine. You've entered it into the country’s largest rib cook-off, the Mike Royko Rib-off. But, oh no! Disaster strikes! On the day of the rib-off Charlie Robinson, former champion, has stolen all of your ingredients! Can you recover them in time AND beat nearly 700 entrants to earn the title of best BBQ sauce?

I loved the twist for the final battle. You spend all this time gathering ingredients just to find out The sauce is the boss!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Of course Super Mario World is difficult to control, I mean, you don't press Up to jump! Who does that

(I never quite understood why European computers only bothered with one-button joysticks. I swear DOS joysticks had at least 2-4 to work with...)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo :popeye:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Of course Super Mario World is difficult to control, I mean, you don't press Up to jump! Who does that

(I never quite understood why European computers only bothered with one-button joysticks. I swear DOS joysticks had at least 2-4 to work with...)

All of the popular European computers were designed to be cheap as poo poo to work on the market because everyone over there was broke compared to the Americans and Japanese. One aspect of that was the joystick interfaces often only supporting the original Atari standard for 4 way joystick and 1 button over the 9 pin ports, rarely a whole two buttons at once. But even on systems that supported two buttons, the games were often for a single button as the programmers expected many of their users to use the dirt cheap single real button joysticks around.

When we look at DOS systems, you got much more control because the original IBM Game Control Adapter was a fairly high end piece of kit before it started to get included in everything. The Game Port design with 15 pins supports dual analog joysticks and 4 buttons in total, with the intention that it'd often be used as 2 buttons and 1 joystick on each controller, with the controllers attached by a Y-cable. However, due to the way things were designed, you could actually mess with the signal lines a bunch to have many more buttons effectively usable, provided a game or driver was aware of how you were doing it. That's how you could end up with later flight sticks for the game port that would have like 10 buttons and rotation/throttle on top of the analog stick controller (with the rotation/throttle usually being the axes intended for the second player joystick.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

The original IBM-PC joystick was two buttons, but for the longest time people complained that analog controls were the only option. Of course, Gravis came along and made a gamepad with four buttons and everyone was happy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there a way I can plug in my HRAP 4 Fight Stick onto a Dreamcast with some extensions or ports with little to no lag?

azurite posted:

I didn't read the descriptions, but judging by the pictures, the first and the last replace the entire assembly. You'd probably just need a laser, but replacing the whole assembly is way easier.

Thanks.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a way I can plug in my HRAP 4 Fight Stick onto a Dreamcast with some extensions or ports with little to no lag?

Nope, this came up about a dozen pages ago actually. You'd have to swap the PCB to something like an Akishop Customs PS360+.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Monitor Burn posted:

That sounds terrible, I'll have to stop recommending that site for complete flash carts. Making your own SD2SNES shell is more fun anyway (and you don't have to pay extra for LIGHT TUBEZ):

I bought mine direct from ikari (serial number 31) back in 2012 or 2013, before Stone Age Gamer and the like picked it up, so naturally it came without a shell. Fortunately, I had an old Wrestlemania cart that the previous owner had painstakingly peeled the labels off of:

Obviously, the Dremel-ing could have gone much better, but I kind of like it. It looks like something a no-budget developer would have hacked together to avoid paying Nintendo for an official devkit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I really enjoyed Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, but I honestly couldn't tell you if it was because of the game design or because my family and I would belly-laugh on cue at the fart sound that played when you stomped enemies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

All New Sonic posted:

I bought mine direct from ikari (serial number 31) back in 2012 or 2013, before Stone Age Gamer and the like picked it up, so naturally it came without a shell. Fortunately, I had an old Wrestlemania cart that the previous owner had painstakingly peeled the labels off of:

Obviously, the Dremel-ing could have gone much better, but I kind of like it. It looks like something a no-budget developer would have hacked together to avoid paying Nintendo for an official devkit.

To complete the effect you should put a couple of ROM's of the same game on under different titles in the menu.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Almost completely finished moving stuff around, just some final things to finish. I decided to relax a bit tonight and watch some "quality" old school movies. :v: It honestly felt great to be watching a 90's movie on a 90's TV.

In direct gaming stuff, last year I swapped a busted up cocktail that had a terrible hack job done on it, for a huge stand up 4 player cab. The cocktail had a laptop put into it, with a decased LCD and an ancient MAME setup that I got for cheap. Once I started to pull it apart though, I realised the wiring was done in a 'fire about to happen' style and the laptop battery was starting to bulge. :stonk: I stripped it all and a guy contacted me through a friend of a friend [etc] and I ended up swapping the cocktail for a stand up. The cab turned up and to be honest, it's not too crash hot either. It's huge, heavy and the guy has done a terrible job on it. It did come with the 22" LCD sitting below the CRT up there, which has come in handy as I'll put attaching a monitor arm to the little table and using the LCD for configuration and troubleshooting, since PC text is terrible on the CRT.

Bonus pics of MONSTRO CAB:

As you can see it's a friggin mess. It also weighs a goddamn tonne and is so big, I had take off my front door to fit it through. I cannot imagine how they moved them around with the CRT's in them. I should have kept the cocktail to be honest, but I wanted a stand up to MAME. This is not what I had in mind. A bit of reverse googling shows it was a Kick N Run soccer game. The idiot painted over the pedals that sat at the bottom of the cab, and I don't think I can repair them, otherwise I could have used them in something else, such as a budget lightgun setup. If it was in better condition I'd save it, but in this condition, it's really no longer worth it. The plan with it is to throw it up on some local BSS for really cheap and if no one buys it, I'll chop a huge section off the back, add a new door, bigger LCD and MAME setup and refurbish it to a 2-4 player stand up. I was tempted to take a sledge hammer to it, but I can't bring myself to do that no matter how much I hate it. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To complete the effect you should put a couple of ROM's of the same game on under different titles in the menu.

Also, the label needs a picture of RoboCop.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
above Robocop is "Beavis & Butthead" in a weird font

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Sure you remember Descent and Forsaken, but do you remember the black sheep of the family, Terminal Velocity? The engine from that got bought by Microsoft and used as a showcase for the newfangled DirectX technology if I'm not mistaken.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

evobatman posted:

Sure you remember Descent and Forsaken, but do you remember the black sheep of the family, Terminal Velocity? The engine from that got bought by Microsoft and used as a showcase for the newfangled DirectX technology if I'm not mistaken.

Windows 95 came with a demo for the third Terminal Velocity game, Hellbender. It was incredibly rad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

evobatman posted:

Yeah, there was a trilogy.

Terminal Velocity was on MS-DOS, and was I believe the first game published under the 3D Realms label.

Fury3 was the Microsoft-published adaption, ported to Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. It's pretty much the same engine and gameplay, but with all new levels and music.

Hellbender was a new game, that I never really got the chance to play.

Only the first one is still easily legally available nowadays, with the CD-ROM versions of TV on Steam and GOG and an iOS and Android by the original programmer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That game blew me away. It was amazing at the time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fury3 (Fury third? Fury cubed? Fury to the third power?) was my poo poo. I was the poor console kid and my cousins had a super computer. But they liked fighting games and played poo poo like the DOS port of Street Fighter 2. So I was the savior with all the Capcom beat 'em ups on SNES then I could hop on their computer to play Fury3 and MechWarrior 2.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

That game blew me away. It was amazing at the time.

Visually it was really impressive when it was released but it's one of those games where I suspect it might not be worth going back to.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Visually it was really impressive when it was released but it's one of those games where I suspect it might not be worth going back to.

I played it a few years ago and it still holds up. It came out in that era where everything moves lightning fast with tight, simple controls and easy objectives. It's ugly as sin but it's basically an arcade game on PC by design.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I think I have that exact TV in my guest room. It was the last CRT I bought, and that room doesn't get used enough to justify buying a new TV for it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sinepost posted:

Waterworld is terrible, but has some great late period Ocean SNES music: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0H5YoFv09uQ

Good poo poo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Good lord is seems like everyone is having the same idea here and weeding out their collections. I've been slowly going through mine and getting rid of things carefully so I don't regret selling something. Thus far it has been mostly games I bought cheap because I had heard they were good, and now that I've settled in and tried some of them, they definitely aren't to my personal tastes. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is the most recent failure to click, the opening plot/setting hooks just weren't interesting enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to be more brief than usual here, but this is such an oddball product I thought it would be fun to share.

So despite that title, there are no kids in this game. It gives you all of their birth dates of the all the characters both in the manual and on the character selection screen and even if the youngest of them is a kid, everyone else isn't.

Misnomers aside, I feel pretty certain that this is just a reskinned Virtua Fighter 2 with some minor upgrades. Kind of a VF2: Championship Edition except with weird graphics instead of selectable bosses. I'm not an expert at Virtua Fighter by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm having a really hard time spotting any gameplay differences between the adult and kids version.

But really what I wanted to do is post weird gifs taken from the intro.

http://i.imgur.com/IXmhc2m.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/XsM92R0.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/Ho2gDM5.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/xrQ6xP8.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/r7rBiao.gifv

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 4, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
VF Kids was made under two circumstances: some beverage company wanted to do a VF tie-in and the VF team wanted to practice facial animation for VF3, so Kids was born to satisfy both desires. They stripped the product placement out of the international version but the Japanese version has billboards for the products and still screens of Jacky Bryant chugging canned tea or whatever.

There are gameplay tweaks but they're extremely minor. There are also a couple nice features that aren't in the VF2 port like being able to assign or program button macros for combos and and a quasi-practice setting for the AI.

The most interesting element from a casual perspective are the character endings - Kids is the only VF game to have FMV endings for the characters and they're all very silly and very dated. (I think Lion accidentally kills his mantis buddy in his ending.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

VF Kids was made under two circumstances: some beverage company wanted to do a VF tie-in and the VF team wanted to practice facial animation for VF3, so Kids was born to satisfy both desires. They stripped the product placement out of the international version but the Japanese version has billboards for the products and still screens of Jacky Bryant chugging canned tea or whatever.

Huh. I didn't notice any billboards in backgrounds when I was playing, I mainly noticed that they were changed to be kind of cutesy, though in fairness that could just be me not seeing it. Also, here's the only beverage I could find in the manual:

I'm sure that's the company, but it looks like a fake brand like Koka Kola or Tab.

• Locked thread