Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

What is that green flag flair on T_D. It looks pretty, uh, Nazi-ish but maybe my vision and flag knowledge are poor.

My guess is the Kekistan flag, a made up country they use to claim that their racism and bigotry is just their culture and if you criticize them for it then you're the real racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hellblazer187 posted:

Reason 1) It's directly cheaper, since we wouldn't pay for those degrees
Reason 2) I kind of feel like paying for false hopes is not awesome. I have a quarter million in law school debt and I never really got to be a real lawyer (I mean technically I am, I passed the bar and I'm "licensed to practice" but I never got a job in it). So, I'm informed by the experience of wasting several years of my life on something that wasn't going to lead to a career, and law is certainly more viable than most artistic careers. I'd also seek to improve K-12 education so arts and humanities are covered considerably better.
Reason 3) It's also probably indirectly cheaper. The costs of those programs would come down because they wouldn't have free government money flowing into them. The student loan programs are part of the reason education prices have climbed so high, since it's free money for them and feels like free money for an 18 year old (they learn later it isn't!). Leaning those programs could have spillover effects into the job related programs we would pay for directly. I worked in university payroll about 12 years ago and administratively things were quite bloated, with enormous management salaries. This is tenuous, though, so it's a distant 3rd.

It's weird to think this, I know, but maybe a guy drawing funny pictures or singing a rad song or digging up old poo poo in a desert have some value to our society that is in the same ballpark as the guy who makes gasoline pump handles or watches dials in a refinery or writes automation software for self driving cars. If there was a basic social safety net and free education of choice maybe it'd be OK for people to try a career in something ~impractical~ and fail and not be loving ruined for 30 years with a giant pile of student loans they can never pay off.

quote:

Are the best artists the university educated ones? Is that even really necessary for art? Legitimate question.

As a professional artist (lol) I can say pretty comfortably yes, there is no substitute for art education. I wouldn't say the best artists come from educated backgrounds, but it's a huge benefit to study the work and technique of people who have gone before like Michelangelo and DaVinci and Mozart and whatever, and when you're a dumb redneck you probably have never been exposed to any of that, you don't even know what to go teach yourself. It won't necessarily make you good at your field of art but it certainly helps you find out a lot quicker whether you're any good, and it shortcuts many years of wasted time re-inventing basic techniques.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

empty whippet box posted:

If we get proof that trump is literally getting cucked by melania in exactly the fashion that internet republicans are obsessed with totally absolutely 100% not being, I wonder how many of them would finally stop supporting him. Not over climate change, misogyny, being a rapist, a moron, none of that. Because cuck

My prediction 0.0%,
Partially because proof bounces off their framing. Even if you could get them to accept it as reality they'd just find some way to twist it into a good thing in their little minds.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

What is that green flag flair on T_D. It looks pretty, uh, Nazi-ish but maybe my vision and flag knowledge are poor.

Some dumb frog poo poo they've made up, and absolutely designed to invoke a nazi flag

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

haha amazing, do it

by the way, here's the Trump family motto in Latin: ratione et re gesta stultissimi

something along the lines of "in motive and action, the stupidest possible"

Beautiful.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

aware of dog posted:

My guess is the Kekistan flag, a made up country they use to claim that their racism and bigotry is just their culture and if you criticize them for it then you're the real racist.

What a weird loving timeline we live in.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah, if it's proven that Trump is a cuck, it'll quickly be flipped into a positive amongst his supporters in some way.

This is also known as the Billy Madison "peeing your pants is the coolest" tactic.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Are the best artists the university educated ones? Is that even really necessary for art? Legitimate question.

The best artists are taught by and learn from other artists, exclusively, I would say.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shes not even loving jewish...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Shes not even loving jewish...

:thejoke:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

if trump jumped off a cliff would t_d? i say they would.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/870436143887777792

Makes this look even more legit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's actually fairly subversive, a whole bunch of alt righters' brains will break over that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I say they wouldn't! Let's settle this question!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Only after saying that Obama was too much of a pussy to jump off in the first place.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Reason 1) It's directly cheaper, since we wouldn't pay for those degrees
Reason 2) I kind of feel like paying for false hopes is not awesome. I have a quarter million in law school debt and I never really got to be a real lawyer (I mean technically I am, I passed the bar and I'm "licensed to practice" but I never got a job in it). So, I'm informed by the experience of wasting several years of my life on something that wasn't going to lead to a career, and law is certainly more viable than most artistic careers. I'd also seek to improve K-12 education so arts and humanities are covered considerably better.
Reason 3) It's also probably indirectly cheaper. The costs of those programs would come down because they wouldn't have free government money flowing into them. The student loan programs are part of the reason education prices have climbed so high, since it's free money for them and feels like free money for an 18 year old (they learn later it isn't!). Leaning those programs could have spillover effects into the job related programs we would pay for directly. I worked in university payroll about 12 years ago and administratively things were quite bloated, with enormous management salaries. This is tenuous, though, so it's a distant 3rd.

I too agree that noble pursuits like art and history are best left to the landed gentry. What use has a serf for Manet?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder.

Brought home a stillborn baby.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol if he obstructs justice to prevent testimony that said he obstructed justice

Skex posted:

My prediction 0.0%,
Partially because proof bounces off their framing. Even if you could get them to accept it as reality they'd just find some way to twist it into a good thing in their little minds.

I feel like this could be different because they wouldn't want to be associated with a cuck or be seen to be the devoted follower of a cuck. They call him alpha all the time and see themselves as alpha. They might be able to be in denial about it actually happening but they won't be able to deny that other people think he's a cuck, and therefore his followers are also cucks. They already sincerely believe that truth doesn't exist or is less important than what you can get people to believe / get away with claiming is true.

I realize this is insanely stupid bullshit but I really think a lot of these people think this way.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 2, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you come from the ~lower class~, get used to your existence as an industrial drone *monocle*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

aware of dog posted:

It's literally a nazi battle flag color-swapped from red to green and with their meme logo in place of the swastikas.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

It's weird to think this, I know, but maybe a guy drawing funny pictures or singing a rad song or digging up old poo poo in a desert have some value to our society that is in the same ballpark as the guy who makes gasoline pump handles or watches dials in a refinery or writes automation software for self driving cars. If there was a basic social safety net and free education of choice maybe it'd be OK for people to try a career in something ~impractical~ and fail and not be loving ruined for 30 years with a giant pile of student loans they can never pay off.

I'd love for people to be able pursue something "impractical" and not have it ruin them. I don't think free university education in art is necessary for that. I mean I went from being a lovely lawyer to being a marginally less lovely CPA, and I'm miserable all day long, and posting here instead of doing the mountains of poo poo I'm supposed to be doing. I wanted to be a cartoonist. So principally I'm with you in terms of the social value of art. I think an NIT with free "STEM" education is possible in my lifetime. I think UBI with free art education isn't. So, yes, I suppose that does primarily boil down to "it's cheaper."

Flesh Forge posted:

As a professional artist (lol) I can say pretty comfortably yes, there is no substitute for art education. I wouldn't say the best artists come from educated backgrounds, but it's a huge benefit to study the work and technique of people who have gone before like Michelangelo and DaVinci and Mozart and whatever, and when you're a dumb redneck you probably have never been exposed to any of that, you don't even know what to go teach yourself. It won't necessarily make you good at your field of art but it certainly helps you find out a lot quicker whether you're any good, and it shortcuts many years of wasted time re-inventing basic techniques.

Fair enough. My wife is a degreed pianist so I've got some idea what music education is like but the only visual art I like is cartoons, and cartooning seems to be primarily self taught.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Oh

gently caress

Look at this guys. LOOK AT IT

Santorum: If sun, they why clouds???

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

I too agree that noble pursuits like art and history are best left to the landed gentry. What use has a serf for Manet?

I didn't say that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder.

Brought home a stillborn baby.

To eat?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'd love for people to be able pursue something "impractical" and not have it ruin them. I don't think free university education in art is necessary for that. I mean I went from being a lovely lawyer to being a marginally less lovely CPA, and I'm miserable all day long, and posting here instead of doing the mountains of poo poo I'm supposed to be doing. I wanted to be a cartoonist. So principally I'm with you in terms of the social value of art. I think an NIT with free "STEM" education is possible in my lifetime. I think UBI with free art education isn't. So, yes, I suppose that does primarily boil down to "it's cheaper."

I have some bad news for you, neither is possible in America for the next several decades imo, but if we're aiming for a better future, why not an actually better future rather than one that is just somewhat less bad?

quote:

Fair enough. My wife is a degreed pianist so I've got some idea what music education is like but the only visual art I like is cartoons, and cartooning seems to be primarily self taught.

If you'd had access to free traditional art education and no "make a living or starve to death/die of the common cold" thing hanging over your head, do you think your life might have turned out the same?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Oh

gently caress

Your country is doomed

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh

gently caress

Fun fact: Rick Santorum spends half of every day screaming in mortal terror because he thinks the world vanishes when he blinks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think so yeah.

His wife had a miscarriage and each of his kids took turns holding it. It was kind of weird and by kind of I mean what the gently caress.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ahahaha, holy poo poo.

"Let's see, how can we cover ourselves in MORE poo poo? How can we possibly look MORE guilty and MORE corrupt than we do right now? I KNOW!!!!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh

gently caress

The sun coming up in the morning is a miraculous surprise, some days it doesn't come up you know!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So frothy

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mustached Demon posted:

I think so yeah.

His wife had a miscarriage and each of his kids took turns holding it. It was kind of weird and by kind of I mean what the gently caress.

Can we not talk about a family grieving for their lost child? Sometimes people do "weird" stuff but lets not attack him for this.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

business hammocks posted:

It's literally a nazi battle flag color-swapped from red to green and with their meme logo in place of the swastikas.

It's awesome how they don't even try to hide it

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo.

"Let's see, how can we cover ourselves in MORE poo poo? How can we possibly look MORE guilty and MORE corrupt than we do right now? I KNOW!!!!"

I get that executive privilege can stop someone from being forced to testify, but can it stop someone who wants to testify?

Once you work for the executive branch is your right to Free Speech forever dependent on the whims of the executive?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Alter Ego posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo.

It's amazing to me that they apparently don't realize how awful this looks.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

I love how green energy naysayers act like they've really got a point when they say that the sun doesn't always shine or that the wind doesn't always blow. Scientists and engineers have thought about and accounted for this and there are a variety of proposed storage methods that don't require huge amounts of batteries.

Huh? What's that? Oh it's your beloved free market calling! They say that they're going to make the switch to green energy anyway because it's becoming very cheap very fast, especially compared to mining chunks of carbon out of the ground.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

I have some bad news for you, neither is possible in America for the next several decades imo, but if we're aiming for a better future, why not an actually better future rather than one that is just somewhat less bad?

Well that's a matter of disagreement, then. The cost projections for an NIT are almost reasonable with a few minor tax reforms and a light trimming of military spending. A sufficiently defeated and demoralized GOP could lead to a big enough Dem majority to get NIT and real education reform. That would be a drastically better life for Americans than the one that exists now.

Flesh Forge posted:

If you'd had access to free traditional art education and no "make a living or starve to death/die of the common cold" thing hanging over your head, do you think your life might have turned out the same?

Of course my life would have turned out differently, but I think the latter part of that is more important and would be achieved with an NIT, especially if I had some access to art education in K-12 (which I did).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

She's loving polish catholic!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Xae posted:

I get that executive privilege can stop someone from being forced to testify, but can it stop someone who wants to testify?

Once you work for the executive branch is your right to Free Speech forever dependent on the whims of the executive?

The problem is the content of his testimony, which could involve state secrets and the White House could legally block. Of course, that wouldn't stop leaks, and would also look very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burning_Monk posted:

Can we not talk about a family grieving for their lost child? Sometimes people do "weird" stuff but lets not attack him for this.

Nah it's loving bizarre and if it was soneone else's alive baby he would do everything in his power to take away its food stamps because dead babies are sacred and living ones have no value to him

• Locked thread