Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just FYI when I get my dinner I will post it. You have been warned :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I would get frustrated at "kill stealing" when I wasn't getting a kill every round or every other round.

I can't think of any possible context in which I would give a gently caress about "kill stealing" in this game. Kills don't unlock anything, your K:D means nothing in the scheme of things since you die once and you're done.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't think of any possible context in which I would give a gently caress about "kill stealing" in this game. Kills don't unlock anything, your K:D means nothing in the scheme of things since you die once and you're done.

kills get you more points which gets you crates which gets you cosmetics

so gently caress you kill stealers ill tk you whenever and wherever day or night goon or pub, those white tanktops will be mine

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_666 posted:

The only kill stealing you do is when you team kill one of us to steal a kill from the bad guys.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I think the only time I have ever cared about kill stealing was when I was using a downed player as bait and my friend finished him off before the other person revealed their self.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

The guy that I play duos with most often has an unhealthy obsession with finishing downed guys. It gets us in trouble sometimes, but there is value in finishing off someone who is DBNO. Even in the downed state you can watch an angle and give info to your teammate. There's been a bunch of times that I've been able to peek a corner for my partner and it's lead to us winning a fight. Couldn't do that if I was spectating.

I like the chicken dinner posting. What the gently caress else is this thread supposed to be for? Reading other people's experiences of where they landed, where they went and how the circle hosed/helped them is at least better than arguing over 1st/3rd person or whether or not a level 1 or 2 helmet covers your face.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

The only kill stealing you do is when you team kill one of us to steal a kill from the bad guys.

Even then I probably died before I manage to get any of you.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the huge memory leak still happening? I've been keeping up with that as it made the game unplayable. Also, are there plans for more 1st person only servers? There are a few of those on the arma mod that really cut down on getting tossed through camera disadvantage

frank.club fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 2, 2017

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat the final zones collapsing on buildings in the middle of fields is annoying as hell

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
3rd person means that taking a well fortified building is nearly impossible unless you can catch them with a frag through a window, especially any of the buildings with stairs. Had multiple games last night that ended on a cluster of 2-3 buildings with squads that had been camping inside them for 10+ minutes, most of them not even shooting people. I still tend to prefer those to the farmland field endings with a bunch of people crawling prone in the grass hoping the circle RNG doesn't force them to stand.

Hill/mountain endings with tons of trees and cover are my favorite. Lots of positioning and everyone trying to peek or flank the other squads.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Managed to get top four last night. Was prone on a hilltop for the second to last circle, couldn't move since the circle was in a big open field but was feeling good about my positioning. Then I got popped three times and died. Somehow someone else had managed to crawl right up to me without me noticing and end one of the best rounds I've had in a long time with a complete anti-climax.

This game sometimes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Managed to get top four last night. Was prone on a hilltop for the second to last circle, couldn't move since the circle was in a big open field but was feeling good about my positioning. Then I got popped three times and died. Somehow someone else had managed to crawl right up to me without me noticing and end one of the best rounds I've had in a long time with a complete anti-climax.

This game sometimes.

Man, I don't know if they changed something with the sound or what because there are times where someone is sprinting towards me and I don't hear them until they are almost right on top of me, I don't remember it being like that when I first started but it's probably all in my head

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Inspector_666 posted:

It felt bad to go a game or two without getting a kill, pretty simple. I liked to look at my stats and work towards at least a 1:1 KD ratio. Now I'm getting decent at the game and I'm woke enough to realize that Nothing Matters. I still give my friend my 8x and rifle every time I see a dirtbike and go hit sweet jumps. You do understand how someone being eager to unload a clip with an unsilenced gun can be annoying though right? Not kill stealing just being too eager to get the actual kill and giving up a postion

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

MerrMan posted:

The guy that I play duos with most often has an unhealthy obsession with finishing downed guys. It gets us in trouble sometimes, but there is value in finishing off someone who is DBNO. Even in the downed state you can watch an angle and give info to your teammate. There's been a bunch of times that I've been able to peek a corner for my partner and it's lead to us winning a fight. Couldn't do that if I was spectating.

I like the chicken dinner posting. What the gently caress else is this thread supposed to be for? Reading other people's experiences of where they landed, where they went and how the circle hosed/helped them is at least better than arguing over 1st/3rd person or whether or not a level 1 or 2 helmet covers your face.

Berries and how there should be poisonous ones you can spike energy drinks with.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Would be a shame if that adrenaline syringe in that crate was actually full of raspberry juice.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
What kinda MOBA bullshit is the concept of kill stealing - especially in squads/duos where you're working with people together to survive?

You gain nothing in the current game. The loot is still there.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Add a super ability that you can charge up by getting stylish kills (point-based system)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You do understand how someone being eager to unload a clip with an unsilenced gun can be annoying though right? Not kill stealing just being too eager to get the actual kill and giving up a postion

Yeah, but that's a whole other issue.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The biggest issue with kill stealing is if you're busy stealing a kill you're not doing something else you're supposed to be doing. And that is usually looking for and killing the rest of that squad. Remember that when you're busy plinking at a downed guy, you're giving your location away to his squad mates and you're also not going to be fully in cover. This seems repetitive, but since goons are bad, when you're busy plinking a downed guy, you're not killing his teammates. Sometimes it should be done, especially if they're in buildings. If they're in a wide open field, leave them to bleed out so they'll be bait for their teammates to leave their cover to revive them. Sometimes, for those of you who make it later into the game when they circle hurts fast enough that even if you get picked up, you can't heal quick enough to not go down again, you should just leave them and get your own rear end in the circle. Usually it's the teammates who steal the most kills who are the least aware of the circle and how much time they have for anything. Now, if an enemy downs another enemy and giving away your position isn't too big of a deal, go ahead and steal the kill as long as you're aware of how much time you have and where the circle is.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Studio posted:

Berries and how there should be poisonous ones you can spike energy drinks with.

You're absolutely right. Can I use the poison berries to poison my bullets so I can poison people with berries AND lead?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

kills get you more points which gets you crates which gets you cosmetics

so gently caress you kill stealers ill tk you whenever and wherever day or night goon or pub, those white tanktops will be mine

just buy it for $0.03

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

just buy it for $0.03

no

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That feel when you have a tense standoff with another player, successfully outmaneuver and slay him, then realize you're dead too because the encounter took so much time that the real winner is the circle.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

just buy it for $0.03

There are some items I'd buy because I waste time picking them up like gas masks but I haven't bought a game directly from steam in over a year so it won't let me. :( And I'm not going to buy some random $1 game so that I can buy items.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I haven't bought a game directly from steam in over a year

how are you playing pubg lmao
e: has there been a sale on it already somewhere?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Chomp8645 posted:

That feel when you have a tense standoff with another player, successfully outmaneuver and slay him, then realize you're dead too because the encounter took so much time that the real winner is the circle.

If somebody gets into an unnecessary firefight with me, and they kill me, but are 100% dead to the circle because of it, I always like to tell them to enjoy the circle over local VoIP.

Think I found a pretty new player. I wasn't necessarily trying to juke him out, just boats are always pretty laggy for me.
https://streamable.com/xnqut

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

If somebody gets into an unnecessary firefight with me, and they kill me, but are 100% dead to the circle because of it, I always like to tell them to enjoy the circle over local VoIP.

The fight was necessary. I needed his motorbike!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how are you playing pubg lmao
e: has there been a sale on it already somewhere?

Yeah it goes on 25% off on Green Man Gaming sometimes. It was just on sale for 48 hours ending this morning though

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

MerrMan posted:

You're absolutely right. Can I use the poison berries to poison my bullets so I can poison people with berries AND lead?

Well that depends, do Lead Poisoning and Berry Poisoning stack? I'm not sure how they'll program Poisons but they may very well be the same debuff. Unless Berry poisons are part of their own Berrymancy tree.

Bluehole please put Berrymancy into the game.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Anybody had this before?
https://streamable.com/gpup2

Or are they graphic card artifacts? I did have a game crash where the screen was full of similar spots. I dropped down my GPU (970) overclock, anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Anybody had this before?

Or are they graphic card artifacts? I did have a game crash where the screen was full of similar spots. I dropped down my GPU (970) overclock, anyway.

The flash right before the dots show up makes me think it's an artifacting issue, but that's weird as hell.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anybody had this before?

I'm not 100% sure if its related at all, but I put a custom cooler on my 1080Ti FE and overclocked it just a little. I got artifacting like that, all over followed by a lock up almost right away. No flashes though. Anyway I reapplied the thermal paste and took the OC off and it seemed OK. Could be an issue with the last patch, though, which was causing like 10 second lock ups and is supposedly resolved now.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

The flash right before the dots show up makes me think it's an artifacting issue, but that's weird as hell.

Yeah. I have actually had the flash before, but not the dots. The flash has made me think the circle has come in sometimes.

Thanks for the replies.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
There's basically two spots where I'll finish a downed guy as a priority:

• If they're in a spot where they can call out my or my squad's positions and activity
  • If they have a good chance of being revived and we can't exploit that (eg. trying to crawl behind a house and we're 200m away)

Otherwise if they're not a risk for either then they tend to be more of a liability for their squad because they might do something risky to try and save them. A classic one is the downed guy and his savior both trying to take cover behind a tree. It's awkward and we'll usually have a lot of opportunities to take shots at them. The other classic thing is a lot of the time the downed person will instinctively crawl towards a friendly which helps you pinpoint them.

I mean it's not the end of the world if you spare a few shots to finish them off when it wasn't necessary in the moment. Especially if the enemy already knows where you are & can't stop you from doing it. But IMO leaving their teammates alive puts more variables in play for your opponent to keep track of, and usually it's advantageous to overwhelm your opponent with decisions and variables when it doesn't complicate yourself equally. It just gives them more opportunities to make a costly miscalculation. When their teammate is downed and then immediately killed it really simplifies their situation.

For an anecdote:

My squad was coming from Tunnels to Mylta following the circle, and were in those hills when we got waylaid by a squad hiding in ambush about 60 meters away. Let's call them squad A. We did not have much cover to fall to and started to get torn apart very quickly. I found the squad and they were tightly grouped around a small bit of rocks and i was moments from getting downed so I went full auto with my AKM and just held down the trigger while hip-firing.

To my surprise, a TON of the spray & pray was connecting and I was seeing hit registers all over the place and a couple of them started to keel over. In the end squad A was wiped out and I was left with a sliver of health and the rest of my squad down. It turned out that another squad--Squad B--was creeping up on them from a downhill position that was blind to us, and B opened up on A just a second after A opened up on us. They were in an exposed position to squad B and were taking extremely accurate fire from them at the same time my character was going full bore (and presumably screaming). So probably didn't hit poo poo even though on my screen (if you ignored the killfeed) it looked like I was a loving action movie hero.

Squad B mopped me up about 15 seconds later before I had much of a chance to do things like heal, find cover, revive a friendly, etc. But for a good 5 seconds after squad A died I was in a blissful disbelief at my own luck with full auto RNG.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 2, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I got punished last night for finishing someone off instead of just leaving them downed. I actually made a good play at first. My squad was on the 2nd floor of a house taking on two guys left over from a full squad on the first floor. They were camping the stairs. I jumped off the balcony to the first floor and drilled the first guy, but I had a over-under so I wasted both shells on the first guy. The 2nd dude just walked around the corner and got me right back.

Should have just left the first guy alone after downing him.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
whenever I go down in the open I crawl away from my squad

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I crawl at my enemies to try and get vision (if I think I'm absolutely dead)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Studio posted:

I crawl at my enemies to try and get vision (if I think I'm absolutely dead)

i do this plus i pop open my inventory and drop my poo poo all over the ground

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still hoping they change the name of this game because when I first saw people playing it I initially thought it was a non steam game people had launched and the name just glitched or something haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Finally!!!!!!

• Locked thread