Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The toyota dealership i bought my landcruiser from not only drove it 4hrs to my place for me to look it over and test drive it, but didnt get at all upset when I turned off the paved roads and took it cross country to test it out offroad.

They were good people to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Considering the margins on the landcruiser
Im not surprised.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

azflyboy posted:

I did exactly that with my Mazda3.

I was intending to pay cash, but Mazda had a $1000 incentive if I financed through them, so I figured "what the hell", and financed, with the intention of paying off the car ASAP.

When the first statement from Chase arrived, it confirmed that there was zero penalty for paying off early, so I paid a whopping $12 in interest for the entire loan, and only made one payment.

Good deal. My post was aimed getting approved at the dealer for financing. Most of them are in cahoots with lending institutions and will have a finance reserve. So they might get a point or less on the interest of the loan. Which of course is quite lucrative over the life of the loan.

Now why is this important? Well because (and this is mainly with used cars where they make a killing) you can bullshit your way down to a lower price since they figure hey, we'll recover it with the finance reserve versus if you were straight up paying cash.

Just don't expect to be welcomed back with open arms when you pay it off the first month or refinance.

Cash is not king. Think about Snap-On tools. They are mostly a finance company that hands out credit and their secondary business is making tools.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One particular customer who came in and played with some stuff told us he was a bin man. He happily listened to some tunes, liked the gear and then went on his merry way. He won the lottery a year later and came in again shortly after he'd bought his big new house and wanted to order some poo poo for his new cinema room. If you treat potential customers like dirt then you're a dick.
I always had a certain amount of respect for the guy who walked into supercar dealerships and said "I won a few quid on the lottery, mind if I test drive some cars?".

They should've asked how much he won.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I financed a new BMW motorcycle last fall and it had a minimum of 3 payments before you could pay it off. It was not a poo poo tier loan either(1.9%), and it was through BMW group financial services. Sent them the check for the balance yesterday because they won't take more than $7500 a month in ACH which I thought was pretty lovely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah I've never had any sort of loan/finance place ever want to sting me for early payment of a debt.

My mortgage only lets me overpay 10% of financed value per year, other than that, no, never had early repayment penalties.

Test drive chat: remember the Renault Avantime? Yeah, no one else does either. I was in uni when that came out and I thought it was the best thing ever. Went to the local dealer and gawped at it for ages with an equally broken-in-the-head mate. The salesman came and gave us the keys without prompting. I pointed out we were students years from buying cars that cost more than a grand and he shrugged. Told me to bring it back Monday.

It was Wednesday. I felt so loving baller in that thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My mortgage only lets me overpay 10% of financed value per year, other than that, no, never had early repayment penalties.
Ah, that's just overpayment, though, a loan generally won't let you do that anyway. The mortgage equivalent would be whatever your final settlement figure is today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Ah, that's just overpayment, though, a loan generally won't let you do that anyway. The mortgage equivalent would be whatever your final settlement figure is today.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to pay my mortgage, paid all my other bills last night but forgot that one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:stonk: how do you not have that on automatic?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Because I like to put additional principal on it sometimes, and every other time I've paid the mortgage first before any of the other bills.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Test drive chat: remember the Renault Avantime? Yeah, no one else does either.

Wait, is that the one that one door was larger than the other, and had some kind of trick hinge to open up while not taking up another whole space in the parking lot? I remember it from Top Gear! Why doesn't the US get French cars? It seems like they make cars that Americans would like.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Autopay is good if you're fine to sit back and pay 15/30 years of interest, or are 100% certain you'll never need a little breathing room in your budget. A bit dangerous that you might miss a payment, but I like the flexibility of manually paying my bills.

Off topic: It's been my personal policy to never set up autopay with telecom companies. Too many have sent out bogus bills with bogus charges that hadn't gotten resolved until months after the fact. If they had my banking info, the money would have just been gone. Autopay is not about "Save paper, save costs, save the environment!" because the same company will out send mailers 2x a month begging me to sign up for more services. It's all about getting their hands directly into your bank account.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

beep-beep car is go posted:

Wait, is that the one that one door was larger than the other, and had some kind of trick hinge to open up while not taking up another whole space in the parking lot? I remember it from Top Gear! Why doesn't the US get French cars? It seems like they make cars that Americans would like.

We did. It didn't go well then. See: Renault and Peugeot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NoWake posted:

Autopay is good if you're fine to sit back and pay 15/30 years of interest, or are 100% certain you'll never need a little breathing room in your budget. A bit dangerous that you might miss a payment, but I like the flexibility of manually paying my bills.

Off topic: It's been my personal policy to never set up autopay with telecom companies. Too many have sent out bogus bills with bogus charges that hadn't gotten resolved until months after the fact. If they had my banking info, the money would have just been gone. Autopay is not about "Save paper, save costs, save the environment!" because the same company will out send mailers 2x a month begging me to sign up for more services. It's all about getting their hands directly into your bank account.

This, so much. I prefer to have my hands on the wheel, so to speak.
I'm the nerd that has my bills in a FileMaker database. I just installed Quicken, though, to maybe move away from the manual database.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol if you're not a seven figgy fucktard who just buys everything in cash

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Ludicro posted:

BMW on the other hand couldn't wait to get me into a car. MINI phoned me up once when my car had gone in for a service asking if I wanted to take anything out for a spin while it was with them

my Infiniti dealer used to do this

I'd taken my G20 in on a Monday for some warranty work which was going to take a couple of days, possibly the rest of that week. They gave me a base Maxima as a loaner. Bit of a step up, but nothing special.

Thursday morning. I get a call from the dealership. "This is Scott from Southtowne Infiniti. I have a note here from the service department that your vehicle is still awaiting parts and will not be ready this week. I also see that you have a courtesy vehicle which is not an Infiniti. Can I have someone come to your office and exchange it for something nicer for the weekend?"

the brought me a Q45, in Obsidian Black. nnnnnngh.

I bought it.

also became the first car I ever ended up lemon-lawing, but that's a story for another time

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Considering how few of them sold you were probably still his best sales lead in weeks. After all, you might have shown it off to somebody who could afford it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Both doors were identically huge, but yes, trick hinges.

Anyone ever watch "children of men"? As well as a fiat multipla with a bodykit they had an Avantime butchered into a 4-door, but no B-pillar. If you look closely you can see the weld line in the rear doors. Also had some sort of Citroen wagon with Volvo headlights. Great film for bad cars.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BMW got me into a 640i and then an invitation to a free performance driving experience on a track (which i did and enjoyed).
Not a hwiff of an M car tho.
Plenty of offers to test drives the highes non-M offering tho.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 2, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

buttcrackmenace posted:

also became the first car I ever ended up lemon-lawing, but that's a story for another time

The "first" implies multiple cars that you've had to use the lemon law over. I'm intrigued.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

When I first saw Children of Men, I assumed the Multipla was a one off "future vehicle" made by the production company. As some one who loves terrible designs like regular car people love Pininfarina designs, that was a pleasant surprise to know they exist out there in the world.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dealerchat:

Back when the RX8 first came out, I thought they were incredibly cool (I still do, I'm a broken individual). I saw one out front of the local Mazda place, and it was a quiet weekday afternoon and I went in. When the salesman came up I said "I can't afford an RX8, but I think they're really cool, do you mind if I check it out?" And he said "hell, let's go for a ride, give me your license!" He put a plate on, threw me the keys and sat in the passenger seat. He asked if I knew about the engine, and once it was established I knew what a rotary was, he proceeded to geek. out. about it. Talking about the engineering, how it was different from the older rotaries and how high it could rev. When we got to a straight he said "here, let's wind it out all the way......and GO!" and as I was accelerating he kept shouting "keep in it, keep in it....NOW shift" After we got back we went to his desk and of course it was covered in SCCA stickers and photos of him with his TR-7.

He knew that I wouldn't have ever been able to afford the car, but because since we both loved cars so much, I got to check it out. By the time I was in the market for a new car, the dealership was closed though, so I couldn't even go give them my business.

This is legit heartwarming. :kimchi:

When we bought my wife's Mini, the dealer (Seattle Mini on Lake City Way) was awesome. Let us test drive one without question, was friendly without being fake and annoying, and treated us with respect despite us being early 30s (and she looks younger). We got to test drive without accompanyment which I love. We flogged that poor thing, and man was that fun. Went a long way towards convincing her it was the right car for her. I almost asked to test drive a John Cooper Works roadster and I'm sure they would have let me, but we were cramped for time.

Mazda was... alright when I went to get the CX5, my guy could tell I did a ton of homework and knew exactly what I wanted. Still insisted on being part of the test drive and told me where to drive, but whatever. Also I've mentioned it but he would not shut the gently caress up about giving him/the dealership max ratings on the survey. I think someone said that's just a Mazda thing in general.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Code Jockey posted:

Also I've mentioned it but he would not shut the gently caress up about giving him/the dealership max ratings on the survey. I think someone said that's just a Mazda thing in general.

GM is especially anal about this and I'm sure the others are as well. You can ruin a salesman's day if you wrote in 1's.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

When my then-girlfriend, now wife and I were shopping for our second mini as young 20-somethings, we went to an independent BMW/mini shop as NH didn't have its own Mini dealership yet. They more or less ignored us. Found a low mileage used S for a decent price at a Mercedes dealership and they were the nicest people ever and the salesman let me poke around their AMG inventory while he got everything situated with the sale. The car's ignition died (IIRC, its been the better part of 10 years) the next day and he got us a loaner Mini S to drive around in while ours got fixed at no charge, despite there being no warrantee on the car. It made me want to buy every car through them in the future. We've since left NH, but are planning on moving back soon. Because of the impression they made on us, we'll likely look there first when we do.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my first car i bought, (dont judge assholes) was a manual saturn sl-1 base, I loved that stupid car. it was just kinda fun and tolerated all my stupid shenanigans at the time. i noticed the window sticker said it had AC, but.. it didnt have AC. so i went and asked the dealer about it. They put a full ac system in the car and apologized incredibly. gave me a loaner car, and unlimited gas. As a young person in the military i abused the hell out of the loaner, but i will always have a soft spot for saturn.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Anyone ever watch "children of men"?
Protip: The Handmaid's Tale is shaping up to be good.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
The thing that really got my wife to buy her Accent is that the salesman let her take the car for the whole weekend (we went shopping on a Friday). After she drove that thing for two days straight just doing regular errands she couldn't not have it. I was also impressed that when she called on Monday and told the guy she was ready to buy it he drove the car out to her work, which was an hour away, had her sign the papers on her lunch break in the parking lot, and left in her car that she was trading in that she'd driven to work. I mean, it doesn't seem like much considering he's making the sale but after how we were treated at a bunch of other dealerships it left a strong impression. Places that didn't let us test drive solo were pretty much crossed off the list almost immediately. One because it's just weird driving around with a random person in the car, and two because you don't really feel like you can put the car through its paces with someone looking over your shoulder so you don't really get invested in it.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Adding to dealership chat: I put together a wishlist of cars I wanted to test drive back when I was ready to buy my first car back in 2009.

Lancer Evo 9 MR. Flat out refused a test drive by one dealer (Lewisville Mitsubishi), another wanted a security deposit just to get them to open the door so I could sit in one (Don Herring Mitsubishi).
Subaru WRX STi. Subaru of Plano wanted me to drive a base Impreza instead, saying "it's the same car but with more power."
S2000. Lute Riley Honda told me that "it's too much car for you" and wanted me to drive a Civic Si instead. I politely declined and was told that I was a waste of time.
G37S. Crest Infiniti told me to go pound dirt, and that "the used dealership is next door."

Then I got to Sewell Infiniti. Told them I wanted to test drive a 6MT G37S. They apologized that since the MT sell rate was so low that they didn't have any on the lot, so they tossed the keys to a fully loaded AT and told to bring it back tomorrow with a full tank of gas. The next day I was signing the paperwork to sourcing a 6MT to buy.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
It is so nice going to a place that doesn't spend all their time trying to squeeze more money out of you and just give you what you want. I hadn't ever financed a car until I was probably 25 or so and when I was looking I didn't have anything specific in mind and I hadn't dealt with dealers so I was just kind of putting my toe in the water to see what would happen. I had a long commute at the time so I just needed a little commuter car that was good on gas. I'd walk in and say I was looking for something 4cyl, with a 5 speed manual, and under $10,000. I bought from the first dealer who didn't immediately show me a $12,000 car and try to convince me I could afford it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sneakyfrog posted:

my first car i bought, (dont judge assholes) was a manual saturn sl-1 base, I loved that stupid car. it was just kinda fun and tolerated all my stupid shenanigans at the time. i noticed the window sticker said it had AC, but.. it didnt have AC. so i went and asked the dealer about it. They put a full ac system in the car and apologized incredibly. gave me a loaner car, and unlimited gas. As a young person in the military i abused the hell out of the loaner, but i will always have a soft spot for saturn.

Saturn and its dealership network was a great concept created by GM. But like most great GM creations they bit the dust. Hell I could rattle off 100 things GM does right but they gently caress up big time with the little things. There are probably just a few bean counters that royally hosed them from the start. I'm by no means a GM fan, but they have a shitload of talent and well...management problems still exist and they really do deserve a lot of respect.

The fact they can crank out the Corvette is evident of that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Colostomy Bag posted:

GM is especially anal about this and I'm sure the others are as well. You can ruin a salesman's day if you wrote in 1's.

The way I understand it is manufactures use those feedback rating to decide who is getting what allocation. So good dealerships get more high margin stuff that they know will sell while not so good dealers get whatever is left thus creating a negative feedback loop in distribution. Have heard this same thing from a VW dealer and a FCA dealer.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
My dad got his E92 because he was planing on getting a Jetta TDI but VW wouldn't let him test drive it after pulling up in a beat-rear end spray-painted Toyota pickup. It was a good choice, in retrospect.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

When I was tasked with purchasing our company fleet I took that job drat seriously. I think I spent 2 weeks of test driving and even bringing a typical load of camera equipment and 3 person luggage set with me to see how easy loading up would be. In the end I made compromises based soley on the way I was treated by the dealers (I initially told them I'm buying 2 vechiles, not the 20 I ended up with). I ended up with a variety of Toyotas which wasn't a bad choice at all but the little bonuses in how the dealer treated us - even driving over a few cars to our company so other staff could get a feel of them. That salesman really worked his rear end off to get that two vehicle sale, and as he wasn't a 'fleet' salesman, just a joe off the floor nearly lost his mind when I said we want 20.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sneakyfrog posted:

I've always liked Saturn; their cars weren't great (nor terrible), but I liked how the dealers had a no haggle business model, and at least from what I've heard from my family (which owned a Saturn dealer at one point), they treated the dealer network decent too.

I mean, I do own a "Saturn" today, but it's a badge engineered Saturn (Chevy Cobalt with a Saturn body/interior). Still been a pretty solid car.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A good salesperson will be happy to let you play with their toys no matter what they're selling.

This. They know that even if you're not buying today, treating you like a human will make a good impression, and you'll be more likely to give them your business in the future.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've always liked Saturn; their cars weren't great (nor terrible), but I liked how the dealers had a no haggle business model, and at least from what I've heard from my family (which owned a Saturn dealer at one point), they treated the dealer network decent too.

I mean, I do own a "Saturn" today, but it's a badge engineered Saturn (Chevy Cobalt with a Saturn body/interior). Still been a pretty solid car.

This. They know that even if you're not buying today, treating you like a human will make a good impression, and you'll be more likely to give them your business in the future.

My family was super poor and had 2 Saturn Sl-1's. They were amazing cars that lasted ~200k a piece. I remember when we got the second one with an auto trans and all of the power options, it seemed like the nicest car on the planet. I was 5 at the time, but still, it was amazing

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Back when I worked at Whole Foods, one of my coworkers had an SL-1. I want to say it was a... 2001?

Only option it had was a/c. It had around 250k back then, smoked pretty decent when she got on it, but it never left her stranded as long as I knew her, and the a/c was ice cold. I drove it a handful of times too, it drove pretty well for what it was.

That said.. another friend had an SL-2 of about the same age, and she managed to seize the engine with ~60k on it. I drove that one a few times too; it didn't drive nearly as well, and the oil light was always flickering (if it wasn't lit solid) and had no power. Her mother threatened to disown her if anybody that wasn't a dealer mechanic ever opened the hood, even to check the oil (you can guess how that ended).

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Relevant to the thread, drat this guy is an rear end in a top hat but also right on a lot of points across his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlY80ICFaMQ

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I usually laugh at what that guy writes, but holy gently caress, he's worse in person and I can't stand listening to him at all.
World's most arrogant journalist.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 3, 2017

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
John Cadogan is very refreshing in today's "You have to be nice / you mustn't offend anyone ever" bullshit culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Dealership chat:
Have a guess about dealing with a car salesmen after you've transitioned from male to female.
:suicide: