Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mod saas posted:

so if i have aging family near milwaukee and moving to wi in the next few years has to be considered as a possibility, is this something i should keep in mind or is it a hard pass for all peoples

It's Golden handcuffs. Don't work at epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

leper khan posted:

that's a really tricky gambit though

yeah, but always do it once

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i asked for a number + a low five figgie signing bonus to cover some costs and they just gave me my number + the signing bonus as my base salary

and that's how i lowballed myself

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is the type of thing i'm talking about regarding housing btw... the supply side absolutely dominates the relationship, so the more constraints you have the more hosed you are. i love dogs and would own a dog if i lived anywhere else, but i live on the peninsula. here in redwood city it's possible, but i used to live in palo alto, and do you want to know how many landlords in palo alto and adjacent menlo park allow dogs? the answer is zero. you can definitely find a place that will allow dogs, you're just gonna have to give up another constraint like "close to work" or "less than 3 thousand american dollars per month"
I live in walking distance of Apple campus. I pay $5200 for a 5 bedroom house and rerent the rooms. The cost per room is dramatically lower if you move into bigger houses, as there's overwhelming demand for 1-2 bedroom units and most of the cities have had dumb "detached houses for families only" construction policies for decades.

I know it sounds stupid as a grown adult with a top 3% national income job to have roommates, but it's quite normal around here.

Landlords can often be hilariously unreasonable out here. I've seen places with 10,000 dollar security deposits flatly refuse to allow pets. I'm struggling to imagine the sort of damage a dog could do that could even compare with that. Many people just have pets secretly, especially if they're renting houses.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ShadowHawk posted:

I live in walking distance of Apple campus. I pay $5200 for a 5 bedroom house and rerent the rooms.

lol your near future is going to include an intimate familiarization with what the words "jointly and severally liable" mean

gently caress the bay area and every single garbage human being living within it, i will never move there

uh

present company excluded, of course.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

gently caress the bay area and every single garbage human being living within it, i will never move there

:yeah:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

lol your near future is going to include an intimate familiarization with what the words "jointly and severally liable" mean

california actually has a lot of tenant protections compared to most other states

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah but what are the chances those rooms are rented as legit subleases written by a lawyer and okayed by the landlord, vs airbnb

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought landlords couldn't prevent sublets in california

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

I know exactly what that means.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yeah but what are the chances those rooms are rented as legit subleases written by a lawyer and okayed by the landlord, vs airbnb
I'm not doing AirBNB at this house since my landlord doesn't plan on tearing it down when I move out. I plan to actually live here for 5+ years.

These are completely regular roommates who all work at tech companies. The only difference is out here that's still a normal thing outside of college.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so, in doing the math to phrase my counter, i came to the conclusion that i am hard lowballed. the number he gave me was a strict 6% increase over the base pay i gave him for here in madison. he claimed before there would be a col adjustment and then 6% on top of that to account for a long raise cycle in my first year.

do i chalk it up to an honest mistake, or a cynical move on his part? i guess we'll find out after i email him tomorrow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

have you looked at paysa or anything to see what the internet claims the range for your title is?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

so, in doing the math to phrase my counter, i came to the conclusion that i am hard lowballed. the number he gave me was a strict 6% increase over the base pay i gave him for here in madison. he claimed before there would be a col adjustment and then 6% on top of that to account for a long raise cycle in my first year.

do i chalk it up to an honest mistake, or a cynical move on his part? i guess we'll find out after i email him tomorrow.

a company did this to me too, except it was a way more insulting percentage.

i had another offer already, and it was very favorable, so i took great pleasure in telling these guys to go gently caress themselves

EDIT: my buddy who worked there was like "omg what are you doing, you could have gotten so much money" but they worked him ragged, so I have no regrets passing that up

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 2, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

Is this salary alone still or even including RSUs?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
shadowhawk is a slumlord and for a while was running an illegal hostel / flop house with several people in each room. he's probably still doing that now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

My condo mortgage and insurance only costs me 600 a month. Even an average apartment that allows dogs is around 3k higher than that out there.
lol jesus i forgot there were places on earth with barely 6 figgie mortgages.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol jesus i forgot there were places on earth with barely 6 figgie mortgages.

a friend of mine bought a freshly built, mint condition studio appartment for for half a six figgies

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

knowing the very first thing about big-oh notation is not that suggestive that you'll be a good employee, but not knowing it is suggestive that you both don't know a lot of basic stuff *and* are unmotivated enough that you couldn't be bothered to spend half an hour reading up on probable questions

a good interview question

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
well, my counter is sent, for better or for worse. i opted to approach it in terms of "these are the things that are keeping it from being a perfect fit, how can you help?" rather than pointing his attention at any one number or thing. i'll let him bring me numbers first.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
in other news, there is literally a dish called "chicken cheese" on our lunch menu at work today. i wonder if culinary hired a goon.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cis autodrag posted:

well, my counter is sent, for better or for worse. i opted to approach it in terms of "these are the things that are keeping it from being a perfect fit, how can you help?" rather than pointing his attention at any one number or thing. i'll let him bring me numbers first.

Good luck.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but are you 100% set on the bay area? Seattle has nearly as many jobs but is handling its influx of people better and housing is still semi-affordable. Something to keep in mind if you can't make it work with apple

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ADINSX posted:

Good luck.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but are you 100% set on the bay area? Seattle has nearly as many jobs but is handling its influx of people better and housing is still semi-affordable. Something to keep in mind if you can't make it work with apple

i was specifically pursuing this one due to the referral. seattle is on my list of places to check out if this goes sour.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
i am a nerdgoon who'll have a CS degree in a year or two, I went back for my Bachelor's after the existential horror of interviews/contract work. is there any advice that the masses of :yosbutt: can provide?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dalris Othaine posted:

i am a nerdgoon who'll have a CS degree in a year or two, I went back for my Bachelor's after the existential horror of interviews/contract work. is there any advice that the masses of :yosbutt: can provide?
answer every question in an interview with "hashmap," even if it doesn't seem like it's a coding question. it's probably hashmaps anyway

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dalris Othaine posted:

that depends. is your bs cs from a top 50 school?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

with the rise of blockchain in the near future you may have to add hash tree to impress managers

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ShadowHawk posted:

I live in walking distance of Apple campus. I pay $5200 for a 5 bedroom house and rerent the rooms. The cost per room is dramatically lower if you move into bigger houses, as there's overwhelming demand for 1-2 bedroom units and most of the cities have had dumb "detached houses for families only" construction policies for decades.

I know it sounds stupid as a grown adult with a top 3% national income job to have roommates, but it's quite normal around here.

Landlords can often be hilariously unreasonable out here. I've seen places with 10,000 dollar security deposits flatly refuse to allow pets. I'm struggling to imagine the sort of damage a dog could do that could even compare with that. Many people just have pets secretly, especially if they're renting houses.

yeah this happens in austin. 4 of my friends live in a house near my office. it's a 4000 square foot single family home, two of the dudes own it (they each have a mortgage for half of the house) and the other two roommates rent rooms.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

welp that was a really short interview. i was hoping the position would be more developing qa tools and such, but that part is all done and it would have been just writing test cases :barf:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I can barely stand writing test cases for my own code

Iverron
May 13, 2012

odd interview

I get led in by no nonsense guy that can barely muster hello to me in the elevator ride up to a conference room where there's pen, paper and technical questions. Tells me I have 20 minutes and leaves.

After that we talk for a while. Not much of a fit weirdness notwithstanding. Then he mentions that they have no internet beyond a couple of white listed sites like Stack Overflow. No Google. "We all have 10-15 years experience so we don't really need the internet anymore."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iverron posted:

odd interview

I get led in by no nonsense guy that can barely muster hello to me in the elevator ride up to a conference room where there's pen, paper and technical questions. Tells me I have 20 minutes and leaves.

After that we talk for a while. Not much of a fit weirdness notwithstanding. Then he mentions that they have no internet beyond a couple of white listed sites like Stack Overflow. No Google. "We all have 10-15 years experience so we don't really need the internet anymore."

i mean, the first paragraph sounds like you just met your first northern/eastern european but then it gets odd

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Elysiume posted:

answer every question in an interview with "hashmap," even if it doesn't seem like it's a coding question. it's probably hashmaps anyway

they're good, but be able to regurgitate some implementation details. if the interview is bs cs trivia hour they might whinge about collisions in a theoretical worst case

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

OldAlias posted:

they're good, but be able to regurgitate some implementation details. if the interview is bs cs trivia hour they might whinge about collisions in a theoretical worst case
yeah, I did an interview where someone with 10+ years of developing experience was passingly familiar with hashmaps (didn't fully realize a python dictionary was a hashmap, even though it was his primary language) and thought that basically every operation on it was O(n), even in the best case

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

nobody cares about your lifestyle

counterpoint: all of human history from when jesus created us and the dinosaurs until the present

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

python dictionaries are cool + good. i use them for literally everything.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Elysiume posted:

yeah, I did an interview where someone with 10+ years of developing experience was passingly familiar with hashmaps (didn't fully realize a python dictionary was a hashmap, even though it was his primary language) and thought that basically every operation on it was O(n), even in the best case

once someone decides they've learned it all because they've been doing it for 10+ years they're well on the path to being a crappy developer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dislike button posted:

counterpoint: all of human history from when jesus created us and the dinosaurs until the present

additionally, lol at describing the state of being transgender as "a lifestyle".

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Elysiume posted:

I'd accept something like "the only thing i know is that dictionaries are fast as poo poo"

Elder Postsman posted:

python dictionaries are cool + good. i use them for literally everything.

same, gently caress the haters

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'd accept something like "the only thing i know is that dictionaries are fast as poo poo"
unfortunately that still would have been more than I got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that depends. is your bs cs from a top 50 school?

it's definitely one of the top 50 schools I ever went to!

hobbesmaster posted:

with the rise of blockchain in the near future you may have to add hash tree to impress managers

but the campus has a zero tolerance policy on drug use :ohdear:

• Locked thread